• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

reilo said:
WTF CNN?

"Is the Russia-Georgia conflict the start of a new Cold War?"

What in the world?
McCain will be right at home!
Karma Kramer said:
So when is McCain planning on announcing his VP anyway... his he just waiting for Obama? Seems kinda lame.
They've said their timeline is not dependant on Obama, but at the same time it's an advantage to go second. So probably sometime after Obama announces, maybe after the convention to try and mitigate the bounce.

I have to say,Obama picked a shitty week to go on vacation while this war is going on. It just seems that McCain will lead on R Vs. G act presidential,while Obama is having fun in the sun in Hawaii.

reilo said:
Isn't it great though that Obama is able to dismiss potential VP picks based on one or two very minor things, as opposed to McCain's possible Veeps choices which got a laundry list of problems?

Would any of us really be distraught if Obama picked any of the following: Clark, Biden, Sebellius, Kaine, etc?

I don't think we're the ones he's after. He'll get slurpage here regardless. The question is which one would potentially sway undecideds?

Think of it like Nintendo going after non-gamers. Gamers are going to buy the Wii regardless of its lineup of questionably "game-like" games.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:
McCain will be right at home!

They've said their timeline is not dependant on Obama, but at the same time it's an advantage to go second. So probably sometime after Obama announces, maybe after the convention to try and mitigate the bounce.

Can't wait!

Obama, after speaking infront of 75,000 strong, announces someone like Clark as his Veep. McCain follows with... Joe Lieberman or Mitt Romney!

worldrunover said:
I don't think we're the ones he's after. He'll get slurpage here regardless. The question is which one would potentially sway undecideds?

Think of it like Nintendo going after non-gamers. Gamers are going to buy the Wii regardless of its lineup of questionably "game-like" games.

Clark would definitely sway undecideds. The same undecideds that voted for Clinton and take their FP seriously but rationally? Clark fits that bill to a t.

reilo said:
Can't wait!

Obama, after speaking infront of 75,000 strong, announces someone like Clark as his Veep. McCain follows with... Joe Lieberman or Mitt Romney!

I think McCain's VP is going to be completely from leftfield... someone like Bill Gates (not him obviously). But someone who isn't really even in politics.

maynerd

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I think McCain's VP is going to be completely from leftfield... someone like Bill Gates (not him obviously). But someone who isn't really even in politics.

I dunno it should be someone who people think can handle the country if McCain dies in office.

reilo

maynerd said:
I dunno it should be someone who people think can handle the country if McCain dies in office.

That old bastard will outlive us all.

GhaleonEB

maynerd said:
I read a statistical study the other day that crunched the likelihood of Obama and McCain living through two terms. They predicted McCain is likely to die in his second.

reilo

Karma Kramer said:
Well then Tom Ridge is the most likely candidate.

Tom Ridge was on the Daily Show and has said he's not even sure which candidate to support, but he's slightly leaning McCain, but would consider voting for Obama.

So, ugh, yeah.

GhaleonEB said:
I read a statistical study the other day that crunched the likelihood of Obama and McCain living through two terms. They predicted McCain is likely to die in his second.

Statistically, isn't McCain right now at the age that the average American male dies at?

reilo said:
Tom Ridge was on the Daily Show and has said he's not even sure which candidate to support, but he's slightly leaning McCain, but would consider voting for Obama.

So, ugh, yeah.

Really?

Wth... :lol

Nevermind then. Fucking CNN...

THey just ran a story about him being a likely candidate.

reilo

Karma Kramer said:
Really?

Wth... :lol

Nevermind then. Fucking CNN...

THey just ran a story about him being a likely candidate.

They're also running the Bill Kristol story, but they did note that Powell shot it down.

soul creator said:
Obama having trouble with Christians! Wait, no.
with Sen. Obama maintaining a substantial 43% to 34% lead among those who are likely to vote in November, with 5% selecting minor party candidates. ...

Awesome.

reilo said:
WTF CNN?
"Is the Russia-Georgia conflict the start of a new Cold War?"
What in the world?
CNN has gone downhill as Fox has turned news into info-tainment. Ratings trump responsible journalism. Thus, it was in the interest of news stations to make the Obama/Clinton battle last far longer than realistically necessary. (She was out of it for a long time but it is better for ratings to make it seems like a contest.)

Thus, CNN is making this tragic but not earth-shaking event into a bigger conflict than it really is.

reilo

speculawyer said:
CNN has gone downhill as Fox has turned news into info-tainment. Ratings trump responsible journalism. Thus, it was in the interest of news stations to make the Obama/Clinton battle last far longer than realistically necessary. (She was out of it for a long time but it is better for ratings to make it seems like a contest.)

Thus, CNN is making this tragic but not earth-shaking event into a bigger conflict than it really is.

15 years ago, could you have imagined CNN running with this:

"The Balkan War: Could this be the spark plug that ignites WWIII?"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cheebs said:
I dont think ANY newsoutlet ever speculated on Clark. Not even once. Only gaf and the bloggers have.

Meaning? Don't expect it kids. Foreign policy guy that got all the buzz was Biden.
Yeah but using the same logic you are never right. So it must be Clark! :p

reilo

New Quinnipiac: Obama up 10% among LIKELY VOTERS in New Jersey.

Hunters favor McCain over Obama by 14 points.

Omg, game over. The hunters :(

GhaleonEB

Cindy McCain treated for "minor sprain" after supporter shook her hand too hard

Republican John McCain's wife has been treated for a "minor sprain" after someone at a campaign event in Michigan shook her hand firmly.

A campaign spokeswoman says Cindy McCain left the West Bloomfield, Mich., campaign event Wednesday for X-rays at a local hospital after an enthusiastic supporter squeezed too much. McCain's wife has had previous surgeries for carpal tunnel syndrome and the handshake exacerbated the condition.

Spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker says Mrs. McCain will campaign as planned on Thursday.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/08/cindy_mccain_sustains_minor_ha.php

For some reason this conjured up the image of someone vigorously shaking McCain's hand, and him collapsing into a heap of rubble like the car at the end of the Blues Brothers.

reilo said:
New Quinnipiac: Obama up 10% among LIKELY VOTERS in New Jersey.

Hunters favor McCain over Obama by 14 points.

Omg, game over. The hunters :(

McCain may have the hunters, but Obama will definitely win the Elite vote

see what I did there? I KNOW YOU DID GHALEON!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Mark Warner is the keynote speaker? I guess its a new theme to pick the "most likey to be elected" Democrat as the speaker. Worked with Obama I guess

maximum360 said:
Way to go Hardball. Show all the polls for today that show things tighter for Obama than the other polls out today.
Again . . . it is in the interest of news stations to make races look closer than they really are. Ratings first, news second.

reilo said:
15 years ago, could you have imagined CNN running with this:

"The Balkan War: Could this be the spark plug that ignites WWIII?"
This is an odd situation where competition made things worse.

When CNN was the only news station, if you wanted news you watched CNN. But now with CNN, Fox "News", and MSNBC, people have a choice. So the "news" stations now fight for ratings instead of doing their best to report the news. And sadly, high-quality news doesn't rate highly. The PBS newshour wouldn't stand a chance if it had to compete for ratings.

reilo

Shiggie said:
why does his Edwards shit still matter? how is it news?

Because Obama covered it up personally to win the demographic nomination!

SupahBlah

Banned
Shiggie said:
why does his Edwards shit still matter? how is it news?

Obama used it to blackmail Edwards for his support, but now the truth is out Edwards might endorse Hillary!

shocked2.gif

Sorry if posted:

Former Republican congressman Jim Leach of Iowa endorses Obama!

Former Rep. Jim Leach of Iowa was among Republicans the Obama campaign said were crossing party lines to support Obama. The Illinois senator’s campaign said he was also being backed by the Republican mayor of Fairbanks, Alaska, Jim Whitaker. The campaign did not release the names of other GOP supporters or the size of the group.

“I’m convinced that the national interest demands a new approach to our interaction with the world,” Leach, a foreign service officer before being elected to Congress, said in a conference call with reporters.

Leach predicted that many Republicans and independents would be attracted by Obama’s campaign but said his decision to endorse a Democratic presidential candidate for the first time wasn’t easy.

reilo

Is McCain incapable of thinking on his feet, without aides and cue cards by his side?

That response he gave when asked about the Lieberman quote proclaiming Obama inexperienced and trying to politicize this issue in Russia v. Georgia is quite damning.

Tamanon

Banned
:lol I assume Keith did that on purpose.

"How the tea leaves seem to indicate that Obama will pick as his number 2" abrubt commercial break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom