• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDG

Banned
I really fail to see what Biden would bring to the ticket. I mean, I love the guy, he's hilarious, I agree with most of his policies, etc. But really, other than kicking ass in the VP debate (which he would do), I don't see what he brings to the ticket.

As we often note, people don't vote for VP, but they occasionally do based on region. Obama doesn't really need any help winning the big battleground state of Connecticut. Bayh on the other hand, would likely make Indiana go blue, and would certainly help in Ohio. So while I like Biden more, between the two I'm definitely hoping for Bayh.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ShOcKwAvE said:
Biden voted for the Iraq war resolution, so I doubt it.

Almost everyone in Congress did. If we use that as a benchmark, the VP will have to be an outsider. I say Salma Hayek. Who's with me?

Cheebs said:
Did you even read that? It is about how keynote speakers tend to end up running for president. Tommorow as in the next election! You just read the title.:lol
I saw the title, posted it, and started reading it after.
D'oh!

HylianTom

Banned
the disgruntled gamer said:
As we often note, people don't vote for VP, but they occasionally do based on region. Obama doesn't really need any help winning the big battleground state of Connecticut. Bayh on the other hand, would likely make Indiana go blue, and would certainly help in Ohio. So while I like Biden more, between the two I'm definitely hoping for Bayh.

I'm also of the similar "nudge a state" belief. If Bayh on the ticket can reinforce the regional influence/popularity, thus bumping Ohio's 20 electoral votes to our side, then I'd be all for him.

Same goes for anyone else who can nudge a significant state into our column.

If someone from the future came back to tell me that Senator Graham from Florida was named, and that Florida voters then subsequently gave the Obama-Graham ticket their 27 electoral votes.. I'd be all in favor of him. Never mind his freaky diary-keeping.. :lol

Cheebs

Dax01 said:
I saw the title, posted it, and started reading it after.
D'oh!
It doesn't help that Obama is in Hawaii through friday and nothing big ever is annouced on weekends. The EARLIEST would be monday. But I suspect he'll wait till the olympics are over.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Poligaf proves again why its not smart at all times. Byah would be a good pick to win this year. You guys need to realize this.. He could pull Indiana and Ohio. You guys should at least be satisfied with Byah.

It's pretty simple.

If Indiana is in play, then Ohio has most assuredly gone blue, anyway. Doesn't matter if Bayh is on the ticket or not. Bayh would be a disaster of a choice.

Cheebs

Dax01 said:
I just want him to announce before I go back to school.
He'll annouce before Aug 25th (convention). Hopefully you aren't in school then because that week is like E3 for politicl junkies Nonstop insanity and excitement 24/7 for 4 days.

Incognito said:
It's pretty simple.

If Indiana is in play, then Ohio has most assuredly gone blue, anyway. Doesn't matter if Bayh is on the ticket or not. Bayh would be a disaster of a choice.
I dont think both go hand in hand. Based on polli9ng Indiana is different due to the Chicago media market. Of which Kerry only carried by 2%, Obama will carry that section by 20-25% which is why Indiana is so close.

Cheebs said:
He'll annouce before Aug 25th (convention). Hopefully you aren't in school then because that week is like E3 for politicl junkies Nonstop insanity and excitement 24/7 for 4 days.
I go back to school August 25th. Fuck. Imma going to have a lot of catching up to do at the end of each day.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I was talking with some friends last night and we determined that a
Heath Ledger
/Obama ticket would be unstoppable.

Cheebs said:
to be fair Edwards is most likely the dad, he point blank lied about the timeline in his "confession" already
If he's the dad, he's really blown it. What's the point of coming out with the big confession if you only come out with part of the story? If you are gonna take your lumps then take all your lumps.

TDG

Banned
Incognito said:
It's pretty simple.

This post doesn't really make a lot of sense. Ohio is a toss-up at this point, it really could go either way. Ohio isn't really effected by what's going on in Indiana, as Cheebs posted.

Let's just put it this way: Bayh is sure to help in the midwest/great lakes region. Biden doesn't give Obama any regional support. And I don't know why Bayh would be a disaster of a choice, he's a smart guy, very solid senator, etc. Biden's a lot more likely to get Obama in trouble with his mouth than Bayh is.

ronito said:
Can you imagine the GAF melt down?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Door2Dawn said:
http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/3/SOTR_8_14.gif[IMG]

Obama:312 McCain:226

I find it hard to believe that Obama could take Montana and Alaska.[/QUOTE]
What is this non-538 nonsense?!

Commandment #1 of PoliGAF: Thou shalt use FiveThirtyEight.com for all thy electoral map needs.

Door2Dawn said:
I find it hard to believe that Obama could take Montana and Alaska.
I agree. Montana seems like a real long shot. Alaska is a possibility though . . . the Alaska GOP has become almost as corrupt as the Ohio GOP of the recent past. You pretty much cannot name a major Alaskan GOP figure without an indictment or investigation.

Virginia certainly isn't a slam dunk either.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Seriously...why are we giving any credit to a polling map that is not 538?

They are absolutely the best when it comes to this kind of information, and there is no reason to use anyone else.

www.FiveThirtyEight.com for you heathen swine who do not visit this site!

0813_bigmap.PNG

scorcho said:
hate to jump in the middle (again) of poligaf's rote discussions of VP hopefuls, but as Fallows Fan Club member #435 i offer this piece - http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200809/fallows-debates

an analysis of the 47 primary debates and what is says about the presumptive nominees and, more to the point, the media. very good stuff.

great article. The only thing I'd add is that I think it'd be much easier for Obama to "look at John McCain and see Alan Keyes", since there are vast differences in issues. He had to be "nice" to his fellow democrats in comparison, so I think that explains some of his hesitance in the primaries.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
soul creator said:
great article. The only thing I'd add is that I think it'd be much easier for Obama to "look at John McCain and see Alan Keyes", since there are vast differences in issues. He had to be "nice" to his fellow democrats in comparison, so I think that explains some of his hesitance in the primaries.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to split hairs on policy without being underhanded.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Incognito said:
It's pretty simple.

Pretty much. Especially since no one really votes for VP anyway

TDG

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Pretty much. Especially since no one really votes for VP anyway
People will vote for VP regionally. Bayh is really, really popular in Indiana. He would pretty much give Obama Indiana.

But I don't know how you can say pretty much, it really doesn't make sense that if Indiana is in play, Ohio is a lock. Indiana is in play, according to polls, but most polls in Ohio are within the margin of error.

Matt

People will vote for VP regionally. Bayh is really, really popular in Indiana. He would pretty much give Obama Indiana.

But I don't know how you can say pretty much, it really doesn't make sense that if Indiana is in play, Ohio is a lock. Indiana is in play, according to polls, but most polls in Ohio are within the margin of error.
First of all, even with Bayh on the ticket, that would not come anywhere close to guaranteeing Indiana would go Blue.

Secondly, Indiana is a very, very red state with almost the exact same demographics as Ohio. If Indiana goes blue, there is very little chance that Ohio hasn't already.

If that is true, then I'm OK with Bayh. But other than that, the guy just does not resonate. Hardly anyone outside of Indiana has ever heard of the guy. If he is picked, most people with say "Who?"

But again, if he can really deliver Indiana, that is enough.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gaborn said:
If Eagleton wasn't McGovern's VP pick McGovern could potentially have beaten Nixon.
I doubt it. But regardless that doesn't really kill my point, people won't vote for a VP but they will vote against one ;)

The #1 Rule for the VP: Do no harm to thy candidate

There is little evidence that the VP helps a candidate that much in their own region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom