• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
Did Bush really just say that the way Russia v. Georgia is being handled is "not the way we do policy in the 21st century" and "Russia's bullying is unacceptable" ?!

Oh my.

Also, MSNBCs new Politics Page and Data Explorer is quite nice:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032553/

Come on.. I would think relations between Russia and Georgia are quite a bit different between us and a dictator like saddam was...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/08/15/mccain-camp-is-mum-on-anti-obama-book/

In 2004, when Jerome Corsi attacked John Kerry’s Vietnam War record, John McCain spoke out strongly against the attack.

“I deplore this kind of politics,” McCain said at the time, almost exactly four years ago. “I think the ad is dishonest and dishonorable.”

Now Corsi has Barack Obama in his sights with a new book that many people say includes misleading information.

McCain’s presidential campaign said today it has no comment.

:lol :lol

Holy shit this is the funniest gif I've seen in years:

c43db51bb449373a3e4b5aa67252ee4d.gif

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
permutated said:
Holy shit this is the funniest gif I've seen in years:

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/4/3/c43db51bb449373a3e4b5aa67252ee4d.gif[img][/QUOTE]
Dude...you're like 4 months late on this one :/

tanod

when is my burrito
I'm really looking forward to this Rick Warren forum tomorrow. For Christians, Warren is a big deal in that he's one of the very few nationally-known Christian figures who isn't a fundamentalist blowhard.

It will be good for Obama to be able to talk openly about his faith on a national stage and he's comfortable doing it.

It will be bad for McCain because he's not and it is very likely that the circumstances surrounding his first marriage will come up.

Good for the American people because we'll get to see the two candidates side by side being grilled by somebody who doesn't subscribe to the "ratings/gotcha/teh narrative!!11!" style of questioning.

I'm trying to get my wife to watch. She's never taken the time to listen to Obama speak before.

Agent Icebeezy

tanod said:
I'm really looking forward to this Rick Warren forum tomorrow. For Christians, Warren is a big deal in that he's one of the very few nationally-known Christian figures who isn't a fundamentalist blowhard.

It will be good for Obama to be able to talk openly about his faith on a national stage and he's comfortable doing it.

It will be bad for McCain because he's not and it is very likely that the circumstances surrounding his first marriage will come up.

Good for the American people because we'll get to see the two candidates side by side being grilled by somebody who doesn't subscribe to the "ratings/gotcha/teh narrative!!11!" style of questioning.

I'm trying to get my wife to watch. She's never taken the time to listen to Obama speak before.

He is also going to ask about abortion.

Agent Icebeezy said:
He is also going to ask about abortion.
Can't wait for that debate we've already heard 10280483950289435802 times.

....oh, and I guess Obama's stance will probably upset single-issue types that didn't know about it already...

Agent Icebeezy

Tamanon said:
Obama's actually been pretty good at even couching Pro-Choice in evangelical terms.

Good, when I read that, I thought I saw a huge speed bump for tomorrow

For a lot of people, this will be the first time they hear him speak.

Agent Icebeezy

I wonder if he is going to bring the adultery stuff up.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/15/12054/6093

TAPPER: Would you have compunctions about voting for someone who had cheated on his wife?

WARREN: Absolutely I would. Absolutely I would. Because if you can’t keep your faith to your most sacred vow – "’til death do us part" -- how in the world can I trust you to lead my family? My government? My nation?...Absolutely I would. I think people first need to ask forgiveness and then earn trust back over time Can trust be re-earned? Absolutely but it takes time.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
icarus-daedelus said:
Can't wait for that debate we've already heard 10280483950289435802 times.

....oh, and I guess Obama's stance will probably upset single-issue types that didn't know about it already...

how can they not know about it? You could be completely oblivious and yet Democrat = pro-choice should be somewhat obvious.

Agent Icebeezy

Warren's church seats 23,000. Are people going to be in attendance, because if so, this will be the largest crowd McCain has ever had, right?

Regardless of the outcome, I can only see this as a positive for the Democrats and this base as largely been seen as a Republican stronghold.

http://thepage.time.com/2008/08/16/could-it-be-her/

thoughts? why post this at 1:20am? its not like 1:20am on a friday night is the perfect time to make a splash/hit the chattering groups/get on the morning shows (as there are none on saturday morning)/etc
COULD IT BE HER?
pic94.jpg

Developing…
1:18 AM

edit: now they added 2 more ?? and changed the pic to the one from unity, changing the timestamp to 1:38am. what on earth is going on in the world of time's the page that makes them so excited so late at night?

grandjedi6

kkaabboomm said:

thoughts? why post this at 1:20am? its not like 1:20am on a friday night is the perfect time to make a splash/hit the chattering groups/get on the morning shows (as there are none on saturday morning)/etc

pic94.jpg

edit: now they added 2 more ?? and changed the pic to the one from unity, changing the timestamp to 1:38am. what on earth is going on in the world of time's the page that makes them so excited so late at night?

Obama just got back from Hawaii (literally) and likely one of Halperin's sources has heard Hillary might be the VP. Of course I wouldn't put too much weight on any VP prediction at this point, even if it is The Page.

grandjedi6 said:
Obama just got back from Hawaii (literally) and likely one of Halperin's sources has heard Hillary might be the VP. Of course I wouldn't put too much weight on any VP prediction at this point, even if it is The Page.

really the only reason i bring this up is The Page scooped the edwards endorsement around midday before everyone, pulled it a bit later, then put it back up before anyone else. that's really the only reason this even picqued my interest, as, well, i don't believe it.

grandjedi6

kkaabboomm said:
really the only reason i bring this up is The Page scooped the edwards endorsement around midday before everyone, pulled it a bit later, then put it back up before anyone else. that's really the only reason this even picqued my interest, as, well, i don't believe it.
Yeah and The Page does have good sources. But with all the random speculation I doubt anyone will get a lead so suddenly. Especially not when The Page's closest peer is saying things like:

Bishman said:

At this point I think everyone is just throwing mud at the wall and hoping something sticks

GhaleonEB

kkaabboomm said:

pic94.jpg

When Halperin posts something like that, I assume the opposite is true.
Bishman said:
Drudge being Drudge. In the article he links to:
"I'm not looking for any new job, I'm running for re-election," Kerry told WBZ last week.

Asked about the V.P. buzz, his press secretary told WBZ in a statement Thursday night:

"If I was bi-lingual, I'd say no in multiple languages. The only job John Kerry is running for, contemplating, or considering is the one he already has."
grandjedi6 said:
At this point I think everyone is just throwing mud at the wall and hoping something sticks
Yeah. No one has any idea. I was kind of expecting Obama to dominate the weekend news by announcing that they would announce next week, but that didn't happen. No one has any idea and they're just throwing out speculation.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Military Donations Favor Obama:

WASHINGTON - U.S. Soldiers have donated more presidential campaign money to Democrat Barack Obama than to Republican John McCain, a reversal of previous White House campaigns in which military donations tended to favor Republicans, a nonpartisan group reported Aug. 14.

Troops serving abroad have given nearly six times as much money to Obama's presidential campaign as they have to McCain's, the Center for Responsive Politics said.

The results also are striking because they favored Obama, who has never served in the military. McCain meanwhile, is a decorated war veteran who spent nearly five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. The Arizona senator graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and had a 22-year career as a naval aviator.

Obama has opposed the war in Iraq and says he would withdraw combat troops within 16 months. McCain has been a steadfast supporter of the war, saying he would withdraw the troops only when conditions on the ground warrant it.

"Obama will work tirelessly to uphold this nation's sacred trust with its veterans, to ensure they are not forgotten after they return home and he will provide our troops with the leadership they deserve, as well as the support they and their families need," Obama spokesman Nick Shapiro said.

McCain's campaign played down the significance of the donations.

"John McCain has been endorsed by more retired admirals and generals than Barack Obama has military donors," McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb said in a statement.

"We feel confident that many U.S. troops stationed overseas will support John McCain in the election this fall, but we suspect most are too busy doing the important work of defending this country than to make political contributions," Goldfarb said.

The report tracked donations of $200 or more. It found that 859 members of the military donated a total of $335,536 to Obama. McCain received $280,513 from 558 military donors.

Among Soldiers serving overseas at the time of their donations, 134 gave a total of $60,642 to Obama while 26 gave a total of $10,665 to McCain. That was less than the amount received by Republican Ron Paul, who collected $45,512 from 99 Soldiers serving abroad, the report said.

http://www.military.com/news/articl...favoring-obama.html?col=1186032310810&wh=news

grandjedi6 said:
Well he symbolizes defeat, he doesn't inspire anything and Kerry himself flat out said no.
Well, he only lost once, but we do not want to find out whether he's a Richard Nixon or just a Tom Dewey.

grandjedi6 said:
Well he symbolizes defeat, he doesn't inspire anything and Kerry himself flat out said no.

He's also the original "flip flopper".

That said, he's still a good candidate on credentials alone and I believe would be a good president should anything happen (which should be the real requirement of any VP, no?).

Cheebs

Agent Icebeezy said:
Warren's church seats 23,000. Are people going to be in attendance, because if so, this will be the largest crowd McCain has ever had, right?

Regardless of the outcome, I can only see this as a positive for the Democrats and this base as largely been seen as a Republican stronghold.
50,000 has been his largest crowd (his speech at that motorcycle thing)

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Does anyone else think that if the conflict with Georgia and Russia escalates, that this election will be over for Obama?

I mean the Republicans are very good about playing the fear card and no doubt they will use it to the max and once again people will fall in line.

Guts Of Thor said:
Does anyone else think that if the conflict with Georgia and Russia escalates, that this election will be over for Obama?

I mean the Republicans are very good about playing the fear card and no doubt they will use it to the max and once again people will fall in line.
No.

Tamanon

Banned
Guts Of Thor said:

I dunno, I think there would've been a greater chance if McCain hadn't come out the gate in full warmonger mode upon the situation starting.

Either way, I think it's over for now.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
McCain's empty rhetorical posturing to Russia doesn't seem to hurt him in the polls or the media (i've only seen one mainstream press article lightly question the propriety of it) so i say it's a qualified maybe. the press seems more interested in noting that Obama's vacationing in a mystical place called Hawaii and why he hasn't rushed back to the mainland to offer more empty words on the matter.

Tamanon said:
I dunno, I think there would've been a greater chance if McCain hadn't come out the gate in full warmonger mode upon the situation starting.

Either way, I think it's over for now.

Yeah fear mongering NEVER works on the American public...

GhaleonEB

July fundraising.

Senator Barack Obama's campaign announced today that more than 65,000 new donors contributed to the Obama campaign during the month of July, bringing the total raised for the month to over $51 million. More than 2 million people have now contributed to the campaign.

"The 65,000 new donors to the Obama campaign demonstrate just how strongly the American people are looking to fundamentally change business as usual in Washington. We are proud of the millions of volunteers and more than two million donors to the Obama campaign who will provide the backbone of our campaign to put America back on track and reject the old politics and failed Bush policies, which is all John McCain is offering," said David Plouffe, campaign manager of Obama for America.
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/obama_raises_over_51_million_i.php

He raised $52m last month. McCain raised $27m in July.

GhaleonEB

scorcho said:
McCain is supported by RNC donations as well, which essentially nullifies Obama's total.
Yup. DNC didn't announce yet, but the RNC has been out raising them big time. IIRC, last month worked out to be about a wash between the two sides in total.

Also, this is pretty interesting. Gallup broke down last week's polls by region. Obama is ahead by 10-12 points everywhere but in the south.

Code:
Aug 4-10 (last week)   Obama      McCain 
East                   51 (46)   38 (41) 
Midwest                50 (46)   38 (42) 
South                  40 (42)   50 (48) 
West                   50 (47)   40 (42)

Which of course leads to this: http://www.pollster.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom