• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeed

Banned
Dan said:
How about his desire to give bottled hot water to dehydrated babies? A senior moment or was that nonsense in the script?
He was talking about Katrina. His speech was in New Orleans. Bad scriptwriting, yes, but it was taken out of context.

Zaptruder said:
How much better of a candidate do you want?

I swear, American's wouldn't be happy with Jesus Christ himself was the nominee

Try reading the entire statement and applying that to context. It can't be a coincidence that two people following you clearly understood exactly what I was talking about.

Francois the Great said:
I'm pretty sure he means that Obama isn't that great at debates...he's right.

Zeed said:
I think he means "in the context of debates". Obama started off pretty bad but going head to head with Hillary really sharpened him up. He definitely held his own in the later debates. He's going to slaughter the half-asleep McCain.

Laura Bush Defends Michelle Obama

http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/2008/06/09/laura-bush-defends-michelle-obama/
Michelle Obama has a new defender from those who say she isn’t patriotic enough — First Lady Laura Bush. In an interview with ABC News, Bush said that Obama’s February remark that she was proud of the United States “for the first time in my adult life” was misconstrued.

“I think she probably meant ‘I’m more proud.’ That’s what she really meant,” Bush said from Afghanistan.

“You have to be realy careful in what you say because everything you say is looked at and in many cases misconstrued,” she said.
Always nice when someone with an opportunity to say something opts to do the right thing.

I'm sure she's seen plenty of comedy of her husband being cracked on for bad wording and phraseology to have some empathy. Maybe the GOP will run one less attack add along those lines if so.

Zeed

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:

Always nice when someone with an opportunity to say something opts to do the right thing.

I'm sure she's seen plenty of comedy of her husband being cracked on for bad wording and phraseology to have some empathy. Maybe the GOP will run one less attack add along those lines if so.
Unlike the openly racist Barbara Bush I have no problem with Laura. Too bad she married a total incompetent.

Zeed said:
Unlike the openly racist Barbara Bush I have no problem with Laura. Too bad she married a total incompetent.
are you sure you don't like barbara? :p

b.b. said:
But why should we hear about body bags and deaths, and how many, what day it's gonna happen, and how many this or that or what do you suppose? Or, I mean, it's not relevant. So, why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that, and watch him suffer.

Tamanon said:
You should've seen the Republican debates' treatment of Paul!

I also watched some of the Republican debates and was appalled at the treatment of candidates like Paul and Huckabee; they could barely get a few words in before dick moderators, like Anderson Cooper, would cut them off and proceed to give bigshots like McCain and Romney 10mins to answer a question.

As for Obama reaching out to young evangelicals, I have no problem with this. There is more to Christianity than hating gays and passing judgment on people. I've heard Obama use phrases like "I am my brother's keeper"[1] or "we are our brother's keeper". He can (has, of course) talk about looking out for the poor; do unto others as you would have others do unto you; "acting as good stewards of god’s earth when our bottom line buts the size of our profits ahead of the future of our planet."[2]

#1 = (VIDEO) PBS | Religion & Ethics -- Barack Obama: "I am my brother's keeper"
January 2, 2008 7:00 PM
During a visit to bestselling author Rick Warren's Saddleback Church on World AIDS Day 2006, Illinois Senator Barack Obama urged an end to stigmatizing those suffering with HIV/AIDS. (December 1, 2006)

#2 = Obama Has A Little Faith in Climate Change
October 14, 2007 3:28 PM

ABC News Sunlen Miller Reports: Speaking at an "inter-faith" forum in Des Moines, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama confessed that faith not only runs a thread in politics, but also plays a role in his plans to fight global climate change.

"The Bible tells us that when God created the Earth, he entrusted us with the responsibility to take care of that Earth – to exercise stewardship over His creation," the Senator preached early Sunday morning, "It is a responsibility to insure that this planet remains clean and safe and livable for our children and for all of god’s children."

Tamanon

Banned
Holy shit, MacLaughlin actually said that Warren G Harding was the first Negro president.:lol

Picture1.png

Kittonwy

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:

Laura Bush is a nice lady, Dubya sure knows how to pick them, Dubya is probably very nice guy as well, I don't think Dubya is going to help with McCain's campaign, McCain isn't really nice to the Bushes.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Why is Obama hunting for a vp candidate? Hillary is right there, it's an easy choice, he needs to absorb those white working class votes, and there are lots of Hillary supporters out there he needs to reconcile with, that's basically half the party.

Kittonwy said:
Why is Obama hunting for a vp candidate? Hillary is right there, it's an easy choice, he needs to absorb those white working class votes, and there are lots of Hillary supporters out there he needs to reconcile with, that's basically half the party.
There's more then 36 million Democrats in the party.

Hillary supporters aren't half of the party. Neither are Obama supporters.

The vast majority of Democrats would vote no matter who was on the ticket. And I suspect the vocal minority of Hillary supporters will too.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kittonwy said:
Laura Bush is a nice lady, Dubya sure knows how to pick them, Dubya is probably very nice guy as well, I don't think Dubya is going to help with McCain's campaign, McCain isn't really nice to the Bushes.[/QUOTE]
Oh for the love of run-on sentences.

[QUOTE=Kittonwy]Why is Obama hunting for a vp candidate? Hillary is right there, it's an easy choice, he needs to absorb those white working class votes, and there are lots of Hillary supporters out there he needs to reconcile with, that's basically half the party.[/QUOTE]

Because the VP vetting process is a long one and Obama is smart enough to find the best VP for him

Mumei

Lv99 Slacker said:
I also watched some of the Republican debates and was appalled at the treatment of candidates like Paul and Huckabee; they could barely get a few words in before dick moderators, like Anderson Cooper, would cut them off and proceed to give bigshots like McCain and Romney 10mins to answer a question.

As for Obama reaching out to young evangelicals, I have no problem with this. There is more to Christianity than hating gays and passing judgment on people. I've heard Obama use phrases like "I am my brother's keeper"[1] or "we are our brother's keeper". He can (has, of course) talk about looking out for the poor; do unto others as you would have others do unto you; "acting as good stewards of god’s earth when our bottom line buts the size of our profits ahead of the future of our planet."[2]

#1 = (VIDEO) PBS | Religion & Ethics -- Barack Obama: "I am my brother's keeper"

Yep.

Did you see the HuffPo thing about 40% evangelical support?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kittonwy said:

Hillary isn't going to run the gauntlet of the vetting process intact because of Bill. For that, we are all thankful.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
"That's not a question, that's just a bag of words."

FEED ME!

:lol

Anyone have a GIF of that?

Wait, there is actually a connection between the reporter that recorded what Bill Clinton said regarding the Vanity Fair article and Obama?

There is a connection? CNN just teased about it. I probably missed it. What is the connection exactly?

Tamanon

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
Wait, there is actually a connection between the reporter that recorded what Bill Clinton said regarding the Vanity Fair article and Obama?

There is a connection? CNN just teased about it. I probably missed it. What is the connection exactly?

It's the same "reporter" that released the "bittergate" comments.

Lv99 Slacker said:

Obama is the man in so many ways. He's just so... RIGHT nearly every time. It's something I'm not used to when it comes to politics.

Mumei said:
Yep.

Did you see the HuffPo thing about 40% evangelical support?

I did [read the headline; didn't read the article. I will now though :D], and at first I scoffed at the notion, because I figured Republicans and all of their media surrogates (Limbaugh, Hannity, etc) would just do the same old, same old

ibbfag.gif

and that would be that; evangelicals would once again - come hell or high water (hurr) - be sufficiently scared into voting against their economic interests. What prompted me to re-consider the possibility of Obama pulling in some of these Christians into the fold was icarus's comment of something to the effect of "Oh no. More religious pandering." I thought to myself "It's not all that bad. How he goes about reaching out to these people is what matters." Then I thought back to some of his speeches where he said "I am my brother's keeper" and the rest followed.

Zeed

Banned
Tamanon said:
Yeah that Word was pretty awesome, and I was also thinking "did he really say that?" and then the graphic came up.:lol
More context is needed.

Lv99 Slacker said:
I thought to myself "It's not all that bad. How he goes about reaching out to these people is what matters." Then I thought back to some of us his speeches where he said "I am my brother's keeper" and the rest followed.
Yeah he's not changing his policies, he's trying to find common ground.

Tamanon

Banned
He was doing a bit about the confederate flag since a 140 foot one was hoisted in SC. After referencing what one of the guys on FOX said about it being "one of the flags of this country, there's more than one"

The line that preceded the Oh, my god was "Yes, the Confederate flag should no longer have to sit at the back of the flag bus":lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:

"To quote, the Sons of the Confederate Veterans, "we have a couple of flags in this country, this is one of them." We have a couple of flags! So why should the confederate flag have to sit on the back of the flag bus?"

Tamanon

Banned
sangreal said:
I never expected this to become such a big meme for the campaign

If the news networks didn't give wall-to-wall coverage of the first one, it wouldn't have reappeared again so soon. At least he hasn't integrated the ass-slap!

I hate Confederate flag people, I really do. You don't see Germans waving around their Nazi "heritage," do you?

edit: that bit on Colbert was hilarious though

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Obama straight killed McCain in his speech today. Why no response? And is it just me that realized that Obama whole speech was full of depth and specifics? So will the MSM still say that Obama doesn't take in specifics?

sangreal

mckmas8808 said:
Obama straight killed McCain in his speech today. Why no response? And is it just me that realized that Obama whole speech was full of depth and specifics? So will the MSM still say that Obama doesn't take in specifics?
They responded with their standard form letter:
"While hardworking families are hurting and employers are vulnerable, Barack Obama has promised higher income taxes, Social Security taxes, capital gains taxes, dividend taxes and tax hikes on job-creating businesses," a McCain spokesman, Tucker Bounds, said in a statement issued before Mr. Obama’s remarks. "Barack Obama doesn’t understand the American economy and that’s change we just can’t afford."

And McCain trying to be Obama by saying Obama is running for Carter's second term

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:
McCain put out a one-paragraph response, which was weak. (Edit: above.) But he's going on an interview blitz on the networks this week; the first aired today. So he'll get his airplay.

But so far he's been playing a lot of defense. I have a feeling that after this two-week economic tour, Obama will switch topics and go on the offensive with a healthcare tour. Keep McCain on the defensive as he outlines his specific proposals on the major issues. He's already hinted as much in today's campaigning.

sangreal

Zeed said:
He was talking about Katrina. His speech was in New Orleans. Bad scriptwriting, yes, but it was taken out of context.
It wasn't in his prepared remarks. He isn't being mocked for the ultimate pander of suggesting only he wants to bring bottled water to babies. He is being mocked for saying he wants to bring them bottled hot water. He probably meant sterile or something, who knows

Also, the speech was in a town near New Orleans

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
McCain put out a one-paragraph response, which was weak. (Edit: above.) But he's going on an interview blitz on the networks this week; the first aired today. So he'll get his airplay.

But so far he's been playing a lot of defense. I have a feeling that after this two-week economic tour, Obama will switch topics and go on the offensive with a healthcare tour. Keep McCain on the defensive as he outlines his specific proposals on the major issues. He's already hinted as much in today's campaigning.

If that's the case wouldn't that mean that McCain will always be a week or behind?

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:
If that's the case wouldn't that mean that McCain will always be a week or behind?
Pretty much. So far, McCain has actually reminded me a lot of Kerry in his weak responses. He's letting Obama define him right now.

Zeed

Banned
Hillary is supposed to start campaigning for Obama, right? I'm going to consider those to be her auditions for VP.

beeler.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Zeed said:
Laura Bush has had her fair share of horrifying remarks during the last few years.

"You know the American people are suffering watching --," Curry said to the first lady.

"Oh, I know that very much," Laura Bush responded. "And believe me, no one suffers more than their president and I do when we watch this, and certainly the commander in chief, who has asked our military to go into harm's way."

On issues not related to her husband or his administration though, yeah, she seems pretty reasonable.

Tamanon said:
If the news networks didn't give wall-to-wall coverage of the first one, it wouldn't have reappeared again so soon. At least he hasn't integrated the ass-slap!
Which wasn't an ass-slap at all.

sangreal said:
Also, the speech was in a town near New Orleans
But McCain said he was in New Orleans and there's no way he'd screw that up... ;)

Clinton urges her delegates to back Obama

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=390566
Hillary Clinton on Monday asked Democratic primary delegates who would have supported her in her presidential bid to back her former rival Barack Obama.

The request came in a Monday night teleconference, said Virgil J. Mayberry, a Rock Island County Board member and one of Sen. Clinton's delegates.

Sen. Clinton threw her support behind Sen. Obama Saturday after suspending her campaign.

"She wants us to unite behind Obama and help him," said Mr. Mayberry, who chairs his party's minority caucus on the county board.

Obama's public graciousness towards Clinton and the backdoor talks seems to have really worked well.

BTW, I am convinced that Hillaryis44 is a GOP viral blog somehow.

Sharp

titiklabingapat said:
Obama's public graciousness towards Clinton and the backdoor talks seems to have really worked well.

BTW, I am convinced that Hillaryis44 is a GOP viral blog somehow.
I don't think it is. I am absolutely certain there are some Hillary supporters delusional enough to believe everything they are saying.

Sharp said:
I don't think it is. I am absolutely certain there are some Hillary supporters delusional enough to believe everything they are saying.

Likewise, the site could've been created by a pubbie to stir up shit amongst the catlady camp to harm Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom