• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
kaching said:
I'm so glad I chose to just watch the debate rather than monitor GAF's response at the same time.

As a result, I'd like to lump myself in with "the public" and say that I thought it reflected very positively on Obama. As I said before, they're both running for the same office for the same country. I hope to hell they can acknowledge some common ground.

Yeah, McCain came away as probably the angriest advocate for bipartisanship I've ever seen.

WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER! BUT NOT WITH THIS GUY, HE'S A FUCKING PUTZ!

GhaleonEB

Red Scarlet said:
Look up a few of my posts for a link to the debate if you want to see it online.

I SO cannot wait for the VP one.
I had to smile when I read this from Chuck Todd over at First Read:

Up next: the very intriguing and potentially entertaining VP debate.

You know the press is just giddy, anxiously waiting to tee off on Palin, and pounce on any Biden-isms.

DEO3

AniHawk said:
Most of GAF thought McCain won or tied. Then every single news outlet came out saying their polls showed Obama won.

On a night where McCain needed a decisive win, he didn't get it. There's also some talks about how McCain's body language was interpreted (no eye contact, laughing, sneering, etc).

Yeah, I was shocked to see the reaction here (and other forums I frequent ('sup D&D)) after I got done watching it. McCain came off as terrrrrrrible to me, maybe it was because the feed I was watching had split screen, where you could see McCain making funny faces at his podium for an hour and a half, I don't know. Obama was the clear winner, and I'm not talking expectations game (i.e. a tie is a win for Obama, McCain's strongest subject, Blah Blah Blah), I'm talking about him clearly. winning. the. debate.

Red Scarlet

kaching said:
I'm so glad I chose to just watch the debate rather than monitor GAF's response at the same time.

As a result, I'd like to lump myself in with "the public" and say that I thought it reflected very positively on Obama. As I said before, they're both running for the same office for the same country. I hope to hell they can acknowledge some common ground.

Yeah, I don't really see why Obama saying he agrees with McCain was bad...McCain's reactions and what he said seemed more negative to McCain than Obama agreeing..McCain never said that at all I don't think, mostly 'he doesn't understand' or 'he is naive'.

GhaleonEB said:
I had to smile when I read this from Chuck Todd over at First Read:

Up next: the very intriguing and potentially entertaining VP debate.

You know the press is just giddy, anxiously waiting to tee off on Palin, and pounce on any Biden-isms.

Did you see that one guy on CNN's reaction to Palin's interview with Couric? Man.
I mean, I know I'm definitely not going to vote for her to be put in office..she's not getting my "she's a woman" vote..being president at this time is way way more important than something so trivial as to a woman being in office, imo.

Red Scarlet said:
Look up a few of my posts for a link to the debate if you want to see it online.

I SO cannot wait for the VP one.
I have it on now, but tbh, all these debates themselves seem moot mere hours after they happen. What seems important is what consensus gets agreed upon, even if that contradicts your initial impression (see Gore's sighs).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Tamanon said:
Yeah, McCain came away as probably the angriest advocate for bipartisanship I've ever seen.

WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER! BUT NOT WITH THIS GUY, HE'S A FUCKING PUTZ!
McCain's line about how far he'd have to reach across the aisle for Obama was particularly uncalled for, but no real surprise at this point coming from him.

GhaleonEB

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, I don't really see why Obama saying he agrees with McCain was bad...McCain's reactions and what he said seemed more negative to McCain than Obama agreeing..McCain never said that at all I don't think, mostly 'he doesn't understand' or 'he is naive'.
It was important that Obama balanced out a few agreements with plenty of contrast. I remember in the first Gore-Bush debate, Gore agreed with Bush so often that the moderator had to ask what the difference between the two of them was.

When Obama first said he agreed with McCain, that was my worry. But it was never anything like that. These guys have huge differences and that was on full display.

Red Scarlet

mamacint said:
I have it on now, but tbh, all these debates themselves seem moot mere hours after they happen. What seems important is what consensus gets agreed upon, even if that contradicts your initial impression (see Gore's sighs).

Oh..to be honest, this was the first debate I have actually watched. I want to register to vote, but it sounds rather complicated for my state and being out of state right now (I'm at uni in Montana, and am a Wyoming resident). I really want to vote though!

mj1108

reilo said:
Oh my god :lol

Maher: "I'm not saying she is brain dead, but republicans had to pass a bill to keep the feeding tube in."
Maher: "I don't want to say she's a ditz, but last night my stripper's fake name was Sarah Palin."
:lol :lol :lol

Socreges

Banned
it was interesting watching the debate with a couple friends. a canadian and a colombian. what we noticed is that we, and maybe our generation in general, are sort of inverted in this instance: the black man, obama, is who we trust and feel comfortable with, while mccain, ol' whitey, gives us the heebie-jeebies

numble

Red Scarlet said:
Oh..to be honest, this was the first debate I have actually watched. I want to register to vote, but it sounds rather complicated for my state and being out of state right now (I'm at uni in Montana, and am a Wyoming resident). I really want to vote though!
If you live in Montana for 30 days by November 4, you count as a Montana resident. And it counts much more in Montana than in Wyoming.

Red Scarlet said:
Gonna still watch it, but it's totally gonna be through other people's filter at this point. Unfortunately, things like "he didn't look the other dude in the eye" somehow become the main thing taken out of the debates, or other such mostly subjective impressions that somehow congeal into something objective even if that wasn't what you took away on your first impression.

Red Scarlet

numble said:
If you live in Montana for 30 days by November 4, you count as a Montana resident. And it counts much more in Montana than in Wyoming.

Really? I've been here since August 30...there have been at least 3 registration people walking around school, but I've told them I'm from Wyoming. If I see one soon, I'll ask them. I want to vote for Obama.

Speaking to my mother today, for me to get registered and do an absentee vote, I have to get some form mailed to me, go to somewhere with a notary, fill it out there, and ask for an absentee ballot to include with it, and some other stuff. If I could just vote here, that'd be so much better. I've never voted before, but really want to. Does Montana have like 1 or 2 more electoral votes? I know Wyoming has 3, as someone corrected me in a different thread (I thought it was 1).

M3wThr33 said:
Orgy of spending. That is all.

Yes, I think that was in my first post in this thread. That was the quote of the debate to me, oh my God I was laughing for awhile at the brashness of calling it that.

I also noticed when they showed Obama while McCain was talking that Obama was writing down something with his left hand..is he a fellow lefty?! (no that won't affect my vote, as I'm voting Obama anyway).

Iksenpets

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Really? I've been here since August 30...there have been at least 3 registration people walking around school, but I've told them I'm from Wyoming. If I see one soon, I'll ask them. I want to vote for Obama.

Speaking to my mother today, for me to get registered and do an absentee vote, I have to get some form mailed to me, go to somewhere with a notary, fill it out there, and ask for an absentee ballot to include with it, and some other stuff. If I could just vote here, that'd be so much better. I've never voted before, but really want to. Does Montana have like 1 or 2 more electoral votes? I know Wyoming has 3, as someone corrected me in a different thread (I thought it was 1).

Montana also has 3.

numble

Red Scarlet said:

Yes, I think that was in my first post in this thread. That was the quote of the debate to me, oh my God I was laughing for awhile at the brashness of calling it that.

I also noticed when they showed Obama while McCain was talking that Obama was writing down something with his left hand..is he a fellow lefty?! (no that won't affect my vote, as I'm voting Obama anyway).

http://www.countmore.org/

Is a useful website to show you where your vote would matter more if you are a student.

Obama is also a lefty.

Red Scarlet

Oh. But Montana has twice as many people, so there is a possibly higher chance that Montana won't go Republican like Wyoming most certainly will.

Loki

Count of Concision
Ether Snake said:
CAFFERTY RIPS PALIN by merely playing a clip of her interview:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=L8__aXxXPVc

And you can see that as much as Wolf Blitzer tries to remain as "neutral" as a toaster, the guy obviously agrees she's an idiot. He almost laughed!

And I am still certain the debate will never happen.

If there was no creative editing going on with Palin's response there, then...wow. Just wow.

I mean, like, "OMG!" level wow.

LCGeek

formerly sane
TylerD said:
It was really good tonight.

Pretty good, though that female tool was serious in her beliefs about some things. I find it sickening that people like that can't face reality and get choked up trying to spit out bs with the reasons why they believe in it. Here's a tip don't defend palin's experience when the various results we've seen from it, yeah that's what I want a crappy experience on a bigger scale. Also don't say rational or logic as if the kind you choose to use is on a good solid foundation.

Nader and New rules owned.

Nabs

kaching said:

same here.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
HAHHA WTF :lol

Lisa Schiffren on Real Time: "Republicans rely on rational arguments, not emotional fuzziness."

*awkward silence*

Crowd starts laughing.

Tim Daly and Ralph Nader are both like "WHAT?"

Maher:

maher.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I think a lot of GAF armchair analysts are over-analyzing Obama agreeing with McCain so often, in this debate. I don't think it was a gambit of any kind.

I think Obama really dislikes & actively tries to avoid "the political game" as much as he possibly can. That's what initially drew me to him, waaaay back when he first announced his candidacy.

Basically... When Obama agrees with McCain, he says so. Regardless of how that makes him "look" to independents or whatever other demographic.

It's no more, no less.

I've liked him from day 1, because he said "Here is who I am, here is what I will work to do if elected, and here are the steps I will take to accomplish that."

He's just... HONEST. In fact, that's the big thing I used to admire about MCCAIN, too. He put it all out there. But now his campaign is a whole different animal, of course.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
reilo said:

Lisa Schiffren on Real Time: "Republicans rely on rational arguments, not emotional fuzziness."

*awkward silence*

Crowd starts laughing.

Maher:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x142/reilo/maher.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
I loved it when he smashed her argument just by saying "Sarah Palin".

Gruco

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Does Montana have like 1 or 2 more electoral votes? I know Wyoming has 3, as someone corrected me in a different thread (I thought it was 1).
3 is the minimum, I think you're confusing overall electoral votes w/ House Reps.

Also you should totally sign up in MT if possible; it has a very small, but much better than WY chance of going Obama.

Red Scarlet said:
Oh. But Montana has twice as many people, so there is a possibly higher chance that Montana won't go Republican like Wyoming most certainly will.
3's the minimum as it's members of congress + senators + 3 for DC.

AniHawk

Gruco said:
3 is the minimum, I think you're confusing overall electoral votes w/ House Reps.

Also you should totally sign up in MT if possible; it has a very small, but much better than WY chance of going Obama.

Especially with Ron Paul running, who was more popular than McCain in the primaries (although that was a caucus).

reilo

The hell?

Sarah Palin is experienced as she's learned it "the hard way"? It's that entire Hannity talking point of "book smart" versus "life smart".

Are we voting for the POTUS or for whom we want to unlock our car if we get our keys locked inside?

Well this debate taught me that gaf knows jack about analyzing a debate. I thought it was a good debate. I thought it was mostly even. And anybody who thought Mccain schooled Obama like the early part of the thread suggested had their head up their asses. I felt mainly that however you felt coming in, you had some justification to feel the same most likely coming out. I won't speak for independents and will leave it to the polling.

reilo said:

*awkward silence*

Crowd starts laughing.

Maher:

maher.jpg

i liked when she said something to the effect of " Anywhere you go the people who work on wall street are the smartest people in the room" and Ralph Nader turns to her with this genuinely dumbfounded look and says "You don't honestly believe that, do you?"

reilo

Nader, speaking on Afghanistan: "I can't believe that someone like Barack Obama, who comes from a third world background, is so insensitive to that area and its history..."

Maher:

maher2.jpg

:lol

Nader is such a fucking quack.

mj1108

reilo said:
The hell?

Sarah Palin is experienced as she's learned it "the hard way"? It's that entire Hannity talking point of "book smart" versus "life smart".

Are we voting for the POTUS or for whom we want to unlock our car if we get our keys locked inside?

Your problem is in bold.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
reilo said:
The hell?

Didn't Palin say that she learned about the world through reading & other media.

Buck lernin' FTL.

:D :D :D

mj1108

Don't think this was posted yet since we've been debate-focused.....

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93ET3CO0

Subpoenaed Palin aides don't appear at abuse probe

Sep 27 02:21 AM US/Eastern
BY MATT VOLZ
Associated Press Writer

Article said:
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Seven of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's top aides defied subpoenas for their testimony Friday into possible abuse of power by the governor.
Palin's chief of staff, Mike Nizich, and six other aides failed to appear at a legislative hearing into whether Palin abused her power when she fired her public safety commissioner this summer.

State Senate Judiciary Chairman Hollis French, a Democrat, waited 30 minutes Friday before reading a statement that the witnesses could be found in contempt when the full Legislature convenes in January and that the investigation would go on "in a simple search for the truth."

Alaska Attorney General Talis Colberg filed a lawsuit on behalf of the seven state workers Thursday challenging the subpoenas. He claims the committee has no jurisdiction to issue subpoenas in the investigation and questions whether the investigation's overseeing body, the Legislative Council, had the authority to begin a probe.

Colberg, a Republican appointed by Palin, said in a news conference Friday that he never directed anybody to ignore subpoenas but advised the seven that they had two options: Show up and testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee or don't and join the lawsuit.

"If they were a normal subpoena, we do not believe they would be optional," Colberg said.

Palin fired Walt Monegan, the public safety commissioner, in July. He claims he was fired for refusing to fire a state trooper who had gone through a nasty divorce from Palin's sister.

He claims he was pressured by Palin, her husband, Todd, and members of her staff to fire the trooper.

The Republican vice presidential nominee had initially denied that she nor anyone in her administration pressured Monegan, but in August revealed that her director of boards and commissions, Frank Bailey, was recorded questioning a state trooper official about why Palin's former brother-in-law still had a job.

"Todd and Sarah are scratching their heads, why on earth hasn't, why is this guy still representing the department? He's a horrible recruiting tool. ... You know, I mean from their perspective, everyone's protecting him," he said.

Bailey was placed on paid administrative leave Aug. 19 but returned to work on Thursday, said Palin gubernatorial spokesman Bill McAllister. He declined to discuss Bailey's return further, saying it was a personnel matter.

Palin claims she never pressured Monegan, and instead fired him over budget disagreements.

The Legislative Council, in a unanimous bipartisan vote, ordered an investigation into Monegan's firing, and Palin agreed to cooperate—until she was named John McCain's running mate.

Since then, Palin—through the McCain campaign—has accused lawmakers of manipulating the probe to be potentially damaging ahead of the November election. She said through her attorney, Thomas Van Flein, that she will cooperate only with a separate investigation by the Alaska State Personnel Board, which is conducted in secret and can take up to two years to complete its work.

Most witnesses under subpoena, including Todd Palin, have refused to testify before the special investigator or the legislative body. Colberg said their advice to the state employees was made without input from the McCain campaign. Todd Palin was advised by Van Flein, who filed a complaint with French objecting to the subpoena.

Van Flein is under contract with the state to represent the governor but also represents her husband as a private citizen, Colberg said.

Five Republican state legislators have filed a lawsuit seeking to halt the Legislative Council's investigation.

Krowley

I thought it was a very close debate, and I felt McCain won by a hair, mostly due to the foreign policy section. I don't think McCain won by enough to really help him that much. Obama definitely held his own and was even beating McCain pretty soundly in the early going. Things slowly shifted as the debate went on. McCain had a lot of good moments in the second half of the debate, and finished very strongly.

I don't trust the initial poll reaction though. There were some debates during the republican primary where Ron Paul won the post debate poll. That kind of instant poll seems to often be wrong. Obama probably did enough to keep McCain from turning things around at this point but we won't really know for sure who won until we see the daily tracking polls shift and watch the spin plays out. It seems like I can remember a few instant polls in the democratic primary where the inital reaction favored one candidate, but then the Polls moved in the other direction.

Schlep

Honestly, I thought after watching the debate that it was dead even (although I watched on PBS without split screen, I need to watch the split version).

However, watching the post-coverage, I can see the story of the next few days being the "You were wrong" segment, and McCain not looking at Obama. The lack of eye contact is 2008's sighing, guaranteed. McCain shot himself in the foot.

numble

Krowley said:
I thought it was a very close debate, and I felt McCain won by a hair, mostly due to the foreign policy section. I don't think McCain won by enough to really help him that much. Obama definitly held his own and was even beating McCain pretty soundly in the early going. Things slowly shifted as the debate went on.

I don't trust the initial poll reaction though. There were some debates during the republican primary where Ron paul won the post debate poll. That kind of instant poll seems to often be wrong. Obama probably did enough to keep McCain from turning things around at this point but we won't really know for sure who won until we see how the daily tracking polls shift and watch how the spin plays out.

Link? I never heard of this (unless you are talking about online polls, which should be disregarded all the time).

Tamanon

Banned
Krowley said:
I thought it was a very close debate, and I felt McCain won by a hair, mostly due to the foreign policy section. I don't think McCain won by enough to really help him that much. Obama definitely held his own and was even beating McCain pretty soundly in the early going. Things slowly shifted as the debate went on. McCain had a lot of good moments in the second half of the debate, and finished very strongly.

I don't trust the initial poll reaction though. There were some debates during the republican primary where Ron Paul won the post debate poll. That kind of instant poll seems to often be wrong. Obama probably did enough to keep McCain from turning things around at this point but we won't really know for sure who won until we see how the daily tracking polls shift and watch how the spin plays out. It seems like I can remember a few instant polls in the democratic primary where the inital reaction favored one candidate, but then the Polls moved in the other direction.

Ron Paul only ever won the text polls or internet ones.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom