• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

CharlieDigital said:
I think there is a difference now in terms of the overall public's interest in her as well as the total publicity that is given to the elections nowadays with around the clock coverage in every medium imaginable. I think the VP debates are going to be more watched and more scrutinized this time around and thus may have a bigger impact on the voters.

No doubt. Palin's numbers have been steadily dropping, and it's mostly because people are realizing that she's full of shit. The debate will only magnify that further.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Some 538 analysis, I think he makes some good points:

Why Voters Thought Obama Won

TPM has the internals of the CNN poll of debate-watchers, which had Obama winning overall by a margin of 51-38. The poll suggests that Obama is opening up a gap on connectedness, while closing a gap on readiness.

Specifically, by a 62-32 margin, voters thought that Obama was “more in touch with the needs and problems of people like you”. This is a gap that has no doubt grown because of the financial crisis of recent days. But it also grew because Obama was actually speaking to middle class voters. Per the transcript, McCain never once mentioned the phrase “middle class” (Obama did so three times). And Obama’s eye contact was directly with the camera, i.e. the voters at home. McCain seemed to be speaking literally to the people in the room in Mississippi, but figuratively to the punditry. It is no surprise that a small majority of pundits seemed to have thought that McCain won, even when the polls indicated otherwise; the pundits were his target audience.
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/09/why-voters-thought-obama-won.html

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
CNN's replaying bits of the debate right now, and they have a camera angle where it's over the shoulder of Barack looking at McCain.

When Barack goes into his "You were wrong" tirade, it seriously looks like a superior yelling at an inferior. Barack is looking right at him and raising his voice, and McCain just kind of looks straight ahead, seemingly ashamed or embarrassed.

I really don't get this body language of McCain. I honestly believe he either hates Barack so much that he can't look at him without exploding, or he literally was fearful.

Crazy either way.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I watched the whole debate last night, and I intentionally avoided PoliGAF and spin alley, because I knew otherwise my brain would leak out by the combination of retarded spin and GAF meltdown.

So I wake up this morning to find that polls says that Obama won the argument on the economy and they essentially tied on foreign policy.

I'm feeling good about that. I think it means that McCain isn't going to get the momentum he needs to win this and that Obama has a really good chance of winning this.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
RubxQub said:
CNN's replaying bits of the debate right now, and they have a camera angle where it's over the shoulder of Barack looking at McCain.

When Barack goes into his "You were wrong" tirade, it seriously looks like a superior yelling at an inferior. Barack is looking right at him and raising his voice, and McCain just kind of looks straight ahead, seemingly ashamed or embarrassed.

I really don't get this body language of McCain. I honestly believe he either hates Barack so much that he can't look at him without exploding, or he literally was fearful.

Crazy either way.
I get the feeling it was maybe some combination of fear/shame/etc. Obama really came off as more presidential in exchanges like that.

Zeliard

RubxQub said:

Crazy either way.

I think that was the best and possibly the most telling part of the debate. Obama was really hammering that part home, and continually putting strong emphasis on the words "you were wrong", while McCain was looking very sheepish.

RubxQub said:

Crazy either way.

He treated Romney similarly in the republican debates; didn't see him as his equal

tanod

when is my burrito
RubxQub said:

Crazy either way.

I watched the whole debate on CNN online so it didn't have the graphics and crap but had the same angles. It looked pretty bad for McCain from that angle. If I had seen it from a side by side view, I think I would have had a much different view of what happened.

I liked when they pulled back and you could see McCain so much shorter and hunched over.

RubxQub said:

Crazy either way.

Debate viewers were mostly democrat.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think that Palin is going to be able to hold her own in the debate. It's 2 minutes of soundbytes in a very controlled manner. If she doesn't go, it's a guaranteed devastating hit. If she does go, there's a chance she doesn't embarrass herself.

They're going.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Stop saying that McCain has only been doing this to Obama.

He's always been like that. He's unable to look at people in the eyes who disagree with him.

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
I think that Palin is going to be able to hold her own in the debate. It's 2 minutes of soundbytes in a very controlled manner. If she doesn't go, it's a guaranteed devastating hit. If she does go, there's a chance she doesn't embarrass herself.

They're going.

The problem is that she can't even spit out basic soundbytes. Have you not seen the interviews? It's going to be even worse in the debate since they are usually more unpredictable, with the back-and-forth between the two candidates.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Y2Kev said:

They're going.
But the soundbites she's saying right now don't make sense!

RubxQub

Ether_Snake said:

He's always been like that. He's unable to look at people in the eyes who disagree with him.
Never said he was only doing it to Obama, just observing that he was doing it to Obama.

Makes him look very foolish.

RubxQub

Ether_Snake said:

As I said, he did this to Romney and others during the republican debate. But this was the first time a large group of Americans got to see this behavior, and it probably took people by surprise

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

Didn't you know? GAF IS AM BODY LANGUANGE EXPERTS.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
PhoenixDark said:
As I said, he did this to Romney and others during the republican debate. But this was the first time a large group of Americans got to see this behavior, and it probably took people by surprise

Yup. Not quite the man of honor he makes himself out to be.

RubxQub

So let me get this straight, some of you actually think this "don't look at your opponent" stuff is fine?

Please defend how this is at all a positive style of debating.

Clevinger

kaching said:
Not so sure about calling him out about what was probably just a gaffe regarding Spain's president. Interestingly though, he didn't try to set the record straight, assuming it was just a gaffe.

It was a gaffe until the McCain campaign clarified that it meant what it said. Which is just amazingly stupid and shows that they're unable to admit to a mistake.

reilo

Oh my god. Palin in NYC.

Oh my god. I think we are watching her brain deteriorating in front of us.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Dr_Cogent said:

:lol It's true, McCain was always a prick to his opponents, whether political or from the media. Guess this helps him somehow when people ask/notice he couldn't stand to look at Obama. Somehow.

Zeliard

Dr_Cogent said:

It doesn't take body language expertise to see that McCain was being disrespectful and exasperated. It only takes decent eyesight and a modicum of reasoning.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
RubxQub said:
So let me get this straight, some of you actually think this "don't look at your opponent" stuff is fine?

I would listen to a body language expert before any of you here.

If they say there is a problem with it collectively, then I would say you have an argument.

Zeliard said:
It doesn't take body language expertise to see that McCain was being disrespectful and exasperated. It only takes decent eyesight and a modicum of reasoning.

Right, because you know everything about every discipline in the world without ever actually receiving any formal training and education about the subject.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
RubxQub said:

Saying it's not new doesn't mean it's fine. I think it tells a lot about his character, he is very self-centered, hates those who don't agree with him, and is power-hungry.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Zeliard said:

BUT HE'S THE DOCTOR OF COGENCY!!

RubxQub

Dr_Cogent said:

If they say there is a problem with it collectively, then I would say you have an argument.
Bullshit response :lol

Do you not have a personal opinion on this matter? Defend how it is a positive method of debating at all.

reilo

CNN anchor: "She was taking questions from reporters... a very very very rare occurrence lately." :lol
Trakdown said:
Channel/Link/Video?
It was on CNN with her talking in front of a fire station.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
RubxQub said:

Do you not have a personal opinion on this matter? Defend how it is a positive method of debating at all.

Come on. Do you think the good Doc would dare look directly at any of us while spouting the bullshit he does? The internet is the ultimate form of looking away and he's the master of it.

Pakkidis

This needs to be said but this is a country voted for George Bush. Maybe America just had a lapse in judgment but when he won the second time it was obvious that the US was completely off the ball.

Why is this election so close? How the fuck do you fuck up a campaign, choose a VP who has no clue whats going on, lie to the public, use every imaginable smear trick you can think off, use cheap stunts to gain publicity AND STILL be close in the polls?

How do people not look at this rationally and say 'I like this McCain/Palin ticket they know what their doing just look at the interviews and stump speeches?'

How is it that women support McCain/Palin when he has been against women's right according to his voting record?

I think its a little sad that people are excited that Obama is up by a few points in the polls when people should be embarrassed that this election isn't a blowout.

This rant is not about why Obama cannot 'close the deal' its about why are Americans so entrenched in their party lines they can't see whats going on? It seems from everything that I've seen and read the only reason people are voting for McCain is because they don't want to vote for Obama or because they like him in general. So far no republican has given any substantial point as to why they would vote for him.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
bob_arctor said:
BUT HE'S THE DOCTOR OF COGENCY!!

And Bob Archtor was....... :lol

15o9g90.jpg

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FoDiClNr-70
this youtube, which i searched for after reading this kos diary:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/27/11751/6583/851/612394

shows why obama is class. pure class.

when mccain messes up the leaders name, right at the end of him getting it out, listen for obama to say 'thats a tough one'

even during a debate, when mccain is talking down to him, saying he doesnt understand, etc, obama still can be like 'thats a tough one' when pronouncing a tough word.

pure class.

Zeliard

Dr_Cogent said:
Right, because you know everything about every discipline in the world without ever actually receiving any formal training and education about the subject.

Are you confused? I just said it doesn't take any real expertise. Do you know why that is? It's because it's blatantly obvious.

Pakkidis said:
This needs to be said but this is a country voted for George Bush. Maybe America just had a lapse in judgment but when he won the second time it was obvious that the US was completely off the ball.

Why is this election so close? How the fuck do you fuck up a campaign, choose a VP who has no clue whats going on, lie to the public, use every imaginable smear trick you can think off, use cheap stunts to gain publicity AND STILL be close in the polls?

How do people not look at this rationally and say 'I like this McCain/Palin ticket they know what their doing just look at the interviews and stump speeches?'

How is it that women support McCain/Palin when he has been against women's right according to his voting record?

I think its a little sad that people are excited that Obama is up by a few points in the polls when people should be embarrassed that this election isn't a blowout.

This rant is not about why Obama cannot 'close the deal' its about why are Americans so entrenched in their party lines they can't see whats going on? It seems from everything that I've seen and read the only reason people are voting for McCain is because they don't want to vote for Obama or because they like him in general. So far no republican has given any substantial point as to why they would vote for him.

Baby steps.

RubxQub

Dr_Cogent said:
And Bob Archtor was....... :lol

http://i38.tinypic.com/15o9g90.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Thank you for conceding the point.

Rubx 1, Cogent 0

Dr_Cogent

Banned
RubxQub said:

No one is saying it's some sort of positive method of debating. You and others are talking as if he's doing it with some ill will intent. Not everyone behaves like what YOU think they do. I've actually been researching body language quite a bit, and before you can accurately review someone, you have to establish a baseline about that person. But you know, I know all you knobs think you know everything about everything.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Pakkidis said:

I've always said that in a rational country, the polls would be nowhere near close. But this is America, and anytime voters do something right, its a miracle in and of itself.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Dr_Cogent said:

:lol :lol

It looked terrible, sheepish and disrespectful. But of course you won't pass judgement until the body language expert community weighs in (because that's what the rest of the country is going to do, right?). Jesus F Christ, what a tool.

I've actually been researching body language quite a bit
:lol
Is that in psych 101 or 102?

A very large portion of the US is borderline retarded. What are Bush's approval ratings around 30% or something? That may be a low percentage, but how many tens of millions of people is that? So many people whose political views are entirely disconnected from reality. Ignorance is rampant in this country.

RubxQub

Dr_Cogent said:
No one is saying it's some sort of positive method of debating. You and others are talking as if he's doing it with some ill will intent. Not everyone behaves like what YOU think they do. I've actually been researching body language quite a bit, and before you can accurately review someone, you have to establish a baseline about that person. But you know, I know all you knobs think you know everything about everything.
So you concede that you have no personal opinion on the matter, and cannot state why it is a positive method in a debate.

I'm glad we settled that one.

Zeliard

Dr_Cogent said:
I've actually been researching body language quite a bit

:lol

And you still fail to see how McCain was coming off as condescending? Do you realize that everyone has been talking about McCain's attitude last night?

Senate Minority Leader McConnell treading water

The latest Courier-Journal Bluegrass Poll shows that Kentucky's U.S. Senate race between Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Democrat Bruce Lunsford is a statistical tie.

The telephone survey of 717 likely voters taken last week showed that McConnell and Lunsford are in a dead heat when respondents were asked who they would vote for if the election were held "today."

McConnell moves ahead by one point when those who are undecided are asked which candidate they are leaning toward. The Bluegrass Poll, which was conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc., has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.7 percentage points.

This coming after SUSA released a poll last week showing McConnell ahead only by 3%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom