• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photos: Obama And Biden Campaigns in Greensboro, N.C

capt.f6418eb1e96c488999f8e5eff3c3690e.obama_2008_ncab107.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 1:39 PM ET
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., right, with democratic vice presidential candidate Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., wave to the crowd at a campaign event in front of the J. Douglas Galyon Depot in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.f9ca30adaf7f49d685b0a6752b2e92e3.obama_2008_ncab108.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 1:55 PM ET
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., speaks at a campaign event in front of the J. Douglas Galyon Depot in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.52e97fc42f7d47b8ae7e2a2044b27782.obama_2008_ncab109.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 1:56 PM ET
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., speaks at a campaign event in front of the J. Douglas Galyon Depot in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.06a7e5e4a394433aa91f0bd88927054d.obama_2008_ncab110.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 1:56 PM ET

capt.6c4ddc58464740d4b95c5d1fea99982b.obama_2008_ncab111.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 1:58 PM ET

capt.d8444d53a99342ae8ee47f1920768ee2.obama_2008_ncab112.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 1:58 PM ET

capt.89e7f879a81a4600a2625173220dda0b.obama_2008_ncab113.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 1:59 PM ET
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., smiles as democratic vice presidential candidate Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., speaks at a campaign event in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

r2158671037.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 1:59 PM ET
Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) and vice presidential nominee Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) (R) arrive for a campaign rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)

r3269269458.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 2:03 PM ET
Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (L)(D-IL) is introduced by his vice presidential nominee Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) at a campaign rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)

r4065809458.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 2:06 PM ET
Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (L) (D-IL) and vice presidential nominee Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) wave to supporters at a campaign rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)

r1429902433.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 2:10 PM ET
Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (L)and his vice presidential nominee Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) arrive at a campaign rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)

capt.3d8053039e1b4d4d8f76089df446a835.obama_2008_ncab114.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., shakes hands at a campaign event in front of the J. Douglas Galyon Depot in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.b36de98fd0f9487dbac7a6e322a176a2.obama_2008_ncab116.jpg

Supporters cheer at a campaign event for Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., and vice presidential candidate Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., in front of the J. Douglas Galyon Depot in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.20ad2ee55a884880b9170ea6888e214f.obama_2008_ncab115.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 2:11 PM ET
A young supporter attends a campaign event for Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., and vice presidential candidate Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., in front of the J. Douglas Galyon Depot in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

r2717929144.jpg

Sat Sep 27, 2:12 PM ET
Democratic presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) (L)and his vice presidential nominee Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) arrive at a campaign rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, September 27, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)

tanod

when is my burrito
So, I'm just gonna put this out there.

The whole faux suspension gambit was entirely geared towards trying to get the VP debate cancelled. The gambit failed. McCain shows up to the debate disgruntled because his gambit failed, performs shittily in the one debate he should have aced and now has inadvertently set up his entire campaign to implode between now and November 4th.

This is GAF fact. :p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I disagree with the thread title. GAF knows alot about shit. In fact we're filled with rich creamy shit. If anything we're experts on shit.

syllogism

John McCain is in Washington all day today but staying away from Capitol Hill as negotiations on the $700 billion bailout enter a critical phase.

Senior campaign adviser Mark Salter says McCain is busy making calls from his Arlington, Va., campaign headquarters to key members of Congress, but will not make any special trip to Capitol Hill, as he did Thursday when negotiations got under way.

McCain is staying away "because he can effectively do what he needs to do by phone," Salter said, according to a press pool report. "He’s calling members on both sides, talking to people in the administration, helping out as he can.’’

Oh so now phone is enough

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
KibblesBits said:
Careful there, some people actually are. Wiseass.

With people like Dr(notso)Cogent, even if you were a body language expert... if you don't provide an opinion to his liking, then he'll either pretend you don't exist, or simply ask for a collective opinion of body language experts.

Yeah. Like someone is going to round up a few dozen body language experts, get them to all give opinions on the debate... so that they can show up Dr Cogent on an internet message board. Just so he can sulk away and pretend he didn't get owned for next time anyway.

Pakkidis said:
This needs to be said but this is a country voted for George Bush. Maybe America just had a lapse in judgment but when he won the second time it was obvious that the US was completely off the ball.

Why is this election so close? How the fuck do you fuck up a campaign, choose a VP who has no clue whats going on, lie to the public, use every imaginable smear trick you can think off, use cheap stunts to gain publicity AND STILL be close in the polls?

How do people not look at this rationally and say 'I like this McCain/Palin ticket they know what their doing just look at the interviews and stump speeches?'

How is it that women support McCain/Palin when he has been against women's right according to his voting record?

I think its a little sad that people are excited that Obama is up by a few points in the polls when people should be embarrassed that this election isn't a blowout.

This rant is not about why Obama cannot 'close the deal' its about why are Americans so entrenched in their party lines they can't see whats going on? It seems from everything that I've seen and read the only reason people are voting for McCain is because they don't want to vote for Obama or because they like him in general. So far no republican has given any substantial point as to why they would vote for him.

i said it zillions of times but bush got reelected because of 9/11. it was just the fearful climate of the time, it made people dumb.

as for the race being close, it really isn't. overall, this is has always looked to be a democratic victory. regardless of what your daily tracking poll says, it's highly unlikely mccain is going to get 270 electoral votes.

Stop arguing with Dr Cogent. He is a poor man's APF.

Speaking of APF where is that fellow. I would be interested in his thoughts on the debate. Scorcho or Mandark also.

Zeliard

Crayon Shinchan said:
With people like Dr(notso)Cogent, even if you were a body language expert... if you don't provide an opinion to his liking, then he'll either pretend you don't exist, or simply ask for a collective opinion of body language experts.

Yeah. Like someone is going to round up a few dozen body language experts, get them to all give opinions on the debate... so that they can show up Dr Cogent on an internet message board. Just so he can sulk away and pretend he didn't get owned for next time anyway.

Didn't you know? You have to be an astrophysicist to know that the Earth revolves around the sun.

I'm looking for a video of the Obama/Clinton debate from March or late Feb on NBC with Tim Russert and co.

Anyone know where I can find that?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The Lamonster said:
I'm looking for a video of the Obama/Clinton debate from March or late Feb on NBC with Tim Russert and co.

Anyone know where I can find that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJbWXW5CYOw

Part 1 of 9, just search for the same title and change the number to get at the rest.

Juice

AniHawk said:
So here's the 2004 Presidential Debate thread, from before PoliGAF was PoliGAF. Only 600 posts for the whole thread. Oh how much more paranoid we've become since then.

The first debate was considered a huge Kerry victory.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16849

Very nice find! My account wasn't approved at GAF until a couple months later, wish I could have been there. Back then when you posted in such a thread, someone actually read the post, as each page was the latest for more than a minute.

I think just about every democrat after they hit 30 becomes extremely cynical and puts on the tinfoil hat every election cycle. The capacity for Americans to make the wrong decision is stunning.

RiZ III

Juice said:
Very nice find! My account wasn't approved at GAF until a couple months later, wish I could have been there. Back then when you posted in such a thread, someone actually read the post, as each page was the latest for more than a minute.

I think just about every democrat after they hit 30 becomes extremely cynical and puts on the tinfoil hat every election cycle. The capacity for Americans to make the wrong decision is stunning.

Kerry completly dominated the debates. Him losing made me pretty apathetic towards politics until Obama showed up.

agrajag

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Right, because you know everything about every discipline in the world without ever actually receiving any formal training and education about the subject.

Listen chap, the whole point of public speaking and body language is to appeal to the general public, not body language experts. And the general public overwhelmingly disapproved of McCain's body language. It's not positive.

I took two college level public speaking courses, and I learned quite a bit about positive and negative body language. Slouching and averting his gaze, snarling, condescendingly smirking at your oponent are all examples of negative body language. People don't like that, there's a science to public speaking. Be an ignoramus all you like, because it's not just GAF, the majority of MSM recognized this problem, and the polls reflect that. The angry old man look does not appeal to people.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is this debate up on youtube or can I download it from anywhere?
It's probably about time I started showing some interest in this whole 'Presidential' thing since one of these guys will be running America soon and therefore, probably, effecting how my country is run as well :lol

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Stoney Mason said:

Speaking of APF where is that fellow. I would be interested in his thoughts on the debate. Scorcho or Mandark also.

At least APF can be funny at times.

MoxManiac

Pakkidis said:
This needs to be said but this is a country voted for George Bush. Maybe America just had a lapse in judgment but when he won the second time it was obvious that the US was completely off the ball.

Why is this election so close? How the fuck do you fuck up a campaign, choose a VP who has no clue whats going on, lie to the public, use every imaginable smear trick you can think off, use cheap stunts to gain publicity AND STILL be close in the polls?

How do people not look at this rationally and say 'I like this McCain/Palin ticket they know what their doing just look at the interviews and stump speeches?'

How is it that women support McCain/Palin when he has been against women's right according to his voting record?

I think its a little sad that people are excited that Obama is up by a few points in the polls when people should be embarrassed that this election isn't a blowout.

This rant is not about why Obama cannot 'close the deal' its about why are Americans so entrenched in their party lines they can't see whats going on? It seems from everything that I've seen and read the only reason people are voting for McCain is because they don't want to vote for Obama or because they like him in general. So far no republican has given any substantial point as to why they would vote for him.

Partisan politics. It's as simple as that. It's why the independents/undecideds are so important here.

Juice said:

I think inside every good Democrat is a hopeful idealist mixed in with a bitter realist. I think if you look underneath the primary that's what the real Obama Hillary battle was about.

RubxQub

Cyan said:
Terrible ad. That's not going to run on TV or anything, is it?
Doesn't say anything about "I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message".

I imagine it's just meant to be distributed around the internet.

ronito

Stoney Mason said:

Dude, don't put down APF like that, it's unfair. I have great respect for APF, when he wants he is well thought out and perfectly reasonable you can have a well reasoned debate with him.

Dr. Cogent is GAF's cranky old man riding around on his rascal pausing only to shake his cane above his head and tell everyone how stupid they are and how superior he is. When asked for proof or confronted of he rides off into the gaming side on his rascal to do the same over there.

Tim-E

Cyan said:
Terrible ad. That's not going to run on TV or anything, is it?

Generally in the descriptions it says "On the air" if it's going to be on TV, but this one doesn't. Also, as someone mentioned, it doesn't have the I approve this message thing, so I'd say it's just an internet ad.

ronito said:
Dude, don't put down APF like that, it's unfair. I have great respect for APF, when he wants he is well thought out and perfectly reasonable you can have a well reasoned debate with him.

Dr. Cogent is GAF's cranky old man riding around on his rascal pausing only to shake his cane above his head and tell everyone how stupid they are and how superior he is. When asked for proof or confronted of he rides off into the gaming side on his rascal to do the same over there.

That's a good analogy.

RubxQub

syllogism said:
It's not even an "internet ad". Seriously GAF
I can't tell what you're trying to say.

They obviously made the video for a reason, right? They didn't take the time mashing up those clips and editing the text just for shits and giggles and posted it on their youtube account...right?

It's not meant to be an "ad", it's meant to be a video distributed around the internet.

*scratches head*

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Stoney Mason said:

APF and Gaborn are staying away from PoliGAF.

I assume Gaborn is staying away so we don't yell "we told you so!" at him in regards to deregulation and the free market with the economy collapsing because of it.

syllogism

RubxQub said:
I can't tell what you're trying to say.

They obviously made the video for a reason, right? They didn't take the time mashing up those clips and editing the text just for shits and giggles and posted it on their youtube account...right?

It's not meant to be an "ad", it's meant to be a video distributed around the internet.

*scratches head*
Yes, it's a video meant to be distributed among Obama supporters so it seems you can tell what I'm saying

Zeliard

reilo said:
APF and Gaborn are staying away from PoliGAF.

I assume Gaborn is staying away so we don't yell "we told you so!" at him in regards to deregulation and the free market with the economy collapsing because of it.

Why the fuck does Gaborn like McCain? Or anyone on the right? These are people that are doing their best to destroy any possibility of equal rights for gays.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ronito said:

Nailed it.

Cyan

Banned
syllogism said:
Please tell me you aren't serious
Sorry to refuse when you asked so nicely, but I won't.

Tim-E said:
Generally in the descriptions it says "On the air" if it's going to be on TV, but this one doesn't. Also, as someone mentioned, it doesn't have the I approve this message thing, so I'd say it's just an internet ad.
That's true, thanks.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Zeliard said:
Why the fuck does Gaborn like McCain? Or anyone on the right? These are people that are doing their best to destroy any possibility of equal rights for gays.
He doesn't like McCain.

ronito said:

You win :)

RubxQub

syllogism said:
Yes, it's a video meant to be distributed among Obama supporters so it seems you can tell what I'm saying
Yeesh...attitude, dude.

Take 'er down a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom