• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
theBishop said:
I walked past the Palin "Watch Party" in Philadelphia last night. There were tons of protesters! Probably 500+ crowded around the Irish Pub on 20th and Walnut. I took some pictures with my cell phone, but they came out blurry:

http://i36.tinypic.com/1040yae.jpg[img]
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2qukz84.jpg[img]

Lots of people were holding signs like "I can see russia from here!" or "Pro-Science, Anti-Palin". It was a lot of fun. :lol[/QUOTE]
:lol :lol :lol :lol

I wonder wtf she was thinking going into Philly... I mean honestly...PHILLY?!

Shiggie

Agent Icebeezy said:
d0axllkqn06jinaljnrmlq.gif

1586vcp.gif
that looks like a shop...

TDG

Banned
Well, I'm lttp on debate reactions since I just decided to sleep on it, and mull it over today, but here they are:

First of all, the debate format was much better than what we've had in previous years, and Lehrer did a great job. I think McCain definitely did a great job of putting Obama on the defensive (I can't count the numbver of times Obama had to say "and again, just to clear the record"), but McCain's body language and a lot of the things he said were very nasty and condescending, and I think that can definitely turn off voters subconcsiously. Obama did a good job as well, he dodged nearly everything McCain threw at him, tossed in several excellent attacks against McCain, associated Bush and McCain effectively, and kept the stuttering down. In general, he appeared composed, and like he knew what he was talking about. In the end, it was probably a draw or slight Obama win in the debate itself.

However, the result of debates seems to rely a lot more on post-debate spin these days. For example, in the first debate of 2004, Kerry appeared tp have soundly beaten Bush, but republican spinsters jumped on him for talking about passing a "global test," and definitely minimized their losses. Now the Obama camp has been doing a good job of talking about what McCain DIDN'T say during the debate, such as "middle-class."

At this point, I'm just fascinated as to where this will go. I can't wait to see how things go in the polls after this.

TDG said:
Well, I'm lttp on debate reactions since I just decided to sleep on it, and mull it over today, but here they are:

First of all, the debate format was much better than what we've had in previous years, and Lehrer did a great job. I think McCain definitely did a great job of putting Obama on the defensive (I can't count the numbver of times Obama had to say "and again, just to clear the record"), but McCain's body language and a lot of the things he said were very nasty and condescending, and I think that can definitely turn off voters subconcsiously. Obama did a good job as well, he dodged nearly everything McCain threw at him, tossed in several excellent attacks against McCain, associated Bush and McCain effectively, and kept the stuttering down. In general, he appeared composed, and like he knew what he was talking about. In the end, it was probably a draw or slight Obama win in the debate itself.

However, the result of debates seems to rely a lot more on post-debate spin these days. For example, in the first debate of 2004, Kerry appeared tp have soundly beaten Bush, but republican spinsters jumped on him for talking about passing a "global test," and definitely minimized their losses. Now the Obama camp has been doing a good job of talking about what McCain DIDN'T say during the debate, such as "middle-class."

At this point, I'm just fascinated as to where this will go. I can't wait to see how things go in the polls after this.

I didn't think Obama was on the defensive. McCain was wildly throwing punches, Obama dodged almost all of them. Obama kept landing punches that McCain didn't contest.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cloudy said:
I'm willing to bet (avatar) that Palin won't debate Biden. Any takers?

No taker here. A Palin debate could seal the deal for Obama. The McCain camp is terrified of it. And they're between a rock and a hard place. dodging the debate is just as bad for the campaign. But having the debate would just be the Finsihing Move. At least cancellation is something they can control.

theBishop

Banned
RubxQub said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

I wonder wtf she was thinking going into Philly... I mean honestly...PHILLY?!

I know, it's crazy. If I was Palin, I would've been seriously dismayed by the crowd. That many people going out of their way to say you suck!? It's got to take a toll on your self-esteem.

gkryhewy

theBishop said:
I walked past the Palin "Watch Party" in Philadelphia last night. There were tons of protesters! Probably 500+ crowded around the Irish Pub on 20th and Walnut. I took some pictures with my cell phone, but they came out blurry

Wow, you're right in the neighborhood!

Cloudy

Banned
No taker here. A Palin debate could seal the deal for Obama. The McCain camp is terrified of it

Yup. They will find some way out of it. I just can't see them putting her up there when she can't deal with softballs from frikken Katie Couric!

gkryhewy

Cloudy said:
Yup. They will find some way out of it. I just can't see them putting her up there when she can't deal with softballs from frikken Katie Couric!

There is no way out of it. The debate is on. They can't cancel the debate. They might as well concede the election.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cloudy said:

You read the scuttlebutt from the McCain campaign insiders saying that her two practice runs were a calamity, right?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Cloudy said:
I can't decide what's worse:
  • Not showing up at all
  • Showing up and doing poorly

Not showing up basically concedes the point that you are not ready.

Showing up and doing poorly demonstrates that you are not ready.

I'd say she has to show up. Not showing up at all would be waaaaaaaaaay too obvious and would dominate the news cycles 24/7.

Cloudy

Banned
gkrykewy said:
There is no way out of it. The debate is on. They can't cancel the debate. They might as well concede the election.

But if she bombs, they'll have to do so anyways. Best move is to fake their way out of it and hope for the best IMO..

You read the scuttlebutt from the McCain campaign insiders saying that her two practice runs were a calamity, right?

No, I just re-watched the CBS interview. Good grief...

OuterWorldVoice said:
No taker here. A Palin debate could seal the deal for Obama. The McCain camp is terrified of it. And they're between a rock and a hard place. dodging the debate is just as bad for the campaign. But having the debate would just be the Finsihing Move. At least cancellation is something they can control.

Only thing that worries me is Biden's gaffe prone week. He goes off script a lot, and usually it works but sometimes (like last week) he doesn't think enough before speaking. That being said, I think it's more likely that he'll land a HARD, memorable punch in this debate than Obama did last night.

Obama's great performance last night will help him sail through the weekend. On monday we'll be hearing more good news in the form of polls and debate analysis. Then on tuesday the potential VP slaughter. McCain might not recover until the second presidential debate. Bush made a noticeable comeback in the second presidential debate, I wonder if McCain can

phalestine

aka iby.h
Cloudy said:
I'm willing to bet (avatar) that Palin won't debate Biden. Any takers?

I think she will debate, if I'm right you have an avatar that says IBY is awesome like for a month. and if you win well you decide. deal?

BTW I am pretty awesome

OuterWorldVoice said:

I pretty much agree, but i wouldn't count palin out - i know that sounds absolutely laughable, but after watching tapes of her gubanatorial debate, and seeing how she can deliver short yet scripted jabs, she could do OK in the short format the debate will have. i mean at the end of the day i think she'll get slaughtered, but i wouldn't be quick to bet all my chips on it.

PhoenixDark said:
Only thing that worries me is Biden's gaffe prone week. He goes off script a lot, and usually it works but sometimes (like last week) he doesn't think enough before speaking. That being said, I think it's more likely that he'll land a HARD, memorable punch in this debate than Obama did last night.

Obama's great performance last night will help him sail through the weekend. On monday we'll be hearing more good news in the form of polls and debate analysis. Then on tuesday the potential VP slaughter. McCain might not recover until the second presidential debate. Bush made a noticeable comeback in the second presidential debate, I wonder if McCain can

Dude, he's been waiting for this townhall his whole life. He can't fuck it up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
OuterWorldVoice said:
No? What did they say?

TDG

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I didn't think Obama was on the defensive. McCain was wildly throwing punches, Obama dodged almost all of them. Obama kept landing punches that McCain didn't contest.
Well, by "defensive," I mean that Obama was having the time he had to attack or explain his positions minimized because he was takinbg the time to rebut all of McCain's claims. But yes, McCain was just ignoring the attacks and going right back on the offensive. We'll see which strategy proves more effective.

Tamanon

Banned
reilo said:
No? What did they say?

Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin.

The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as “disastrous.” One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, “What are we going to do?” The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is “clueless.”

http://www.wegoted.com/

BrandNew said:
I don't know if this actually happened, I forget, but did McCain even try to refute the whole Spain thing?
That was kind of a low blow on a McCain senior moment. Let the senior moment speak for itself, clearly McCain doesn't hate Spain.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I have one critical thing to say about Obama. Last night I found out that, outside of Iraq, the foreign policies of Obama and McCain are essentially the same.

You guys may call Ron Paul crazy or whatever, but his foreign policy shits all over the foreign policies of these two.

Indeed. I was a Ron Paul supporter before Obama (I am a registered Republican, because I wanted to vote for him in the primary) solely because of his foreign policy stances.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Tyrone Slothrop said:
I pretty much agree, but i wouldn't count palin out - i know that sounds absolutely laughable, but after watching tapes of her gubanatorial debate, and seeing how she can deliver short yet scripted jabs, she could do OK in the short format the debate will have. i mean at the end of the day i think she'll get slaughtered, but i wouldn't be quick to bet all my chips on it.

Here's the thing: at this point, she needs to do more for the McCain platform that just not fuck up. Even if she's gets by on generalities, it won't convince the American people she's better than Biden. I imagine reactions like this:

"Oh, so she's not a complete idiot. Okay"

And that's pretty much it.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I dunno. As much as we love laughing at Palin (and I certainly do :D ), we need to remember that Bush senior got elected with Dan Qualye. So even if she sucks, she may not be fatal. She certainly isn't helping any more though.

Tamanon

Banned
speculawyer said:
That was kind of a low blow on a McCain senior moment. Let the senior moment speak for itself, clearly McCain doesn't hate Spain.

I disagree. McCain actually had the chance to back up and say he just forgot, but then he actively came out and said that he would not guarantee a meeting with the Spain prime minister. It was a senior moment that he turned into actual policy.

Reilo: Originally it was Lieberman playing Biden, but he couldn't pull off the fiery part for some reason.:lol

Zeliard

Zeliard said:
I don't understand the reaction from people here. McCain acting like a condescending prick is only going to appeal to people who were going to vote for him to begin with anyway. Others will be turned off. We don't need an asshole president after Bush.

I'm gonna be an asshole and bump this post that was made right after the debate ended to give myself props for not going with most of the rest of GAF in thinking that Obama lost to McCain.

OPTIMISM, BIATCHES.

Trurl

Banned
speculawyer said:
What would have been way for McCain to respond to that? He obviously couldn't have said "hello, it was a senior moment, lol." Maybe he could have said "look, when we're on the campaign trail 24/7 it's obvious we're going to misspeak on occasion. If I were to hold Senator Obama to the same standard he just held me I would have to believe that he thinks there are 58 United States."

But when the narrative is that he is too old and prone to senior moments it would be dangerous for him to admit to such a thing.

btw, I do think that McCain's slip up about Spain is much worse than anything I recall Obama slipping up on.

speculawyer said:
I dunno. As much as we love laughing at Palin (and I certainly do :D ), we need to remember that Bush senior got elected with Dan Qualye. So even if she sucks, she may not be fatal. She certainly isn't helping any more though.

I think there is a difference now in terms of the overall public's interest in her as well as the total publicity that is given to the elections nowadays with around the clock coverage in every medium imaginable. I think the VP debates are going to be more watched and more scrutinized this time around and thus may have a bigger impact on the voters.

Trakdown

Tamanon said:
I disagree. McCain actually had the chance to back up and say he just forgot, but then he actively came out and said that he would not guarantee a meeting with the Spain prime minister. It was a senior moment that he turned into actual policy.

Reilo: Originally it was Lieberman playing Biden, but he couldn't pull off the fiery part for some reason.:lol

Lieberman as Biden???:lol :lol :lol

"Okay Governor Palin, this simulation is to show you what it would be like to debate Senator Biden after he's had two doses of NyQuil and a soma."

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Zeliard said:
I'm gonna be an asshole and bump this post that was made right after the debate ended to give myself props for not going with most of the rest of GAF in thinking that Obama lost to McCain.

OPTIMISM, BIATCHES.

:lol I'm still in awe that people here thought that but I guess when we're thisclose to the prize, paranoia will sometimes creep in. Didn't Al Gore sighing cost him a debate or some shit?

Old, cranky man looked old and cranky.

news_198.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom