• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
"Hey...I'm for change too..."

"Pretty soon I'm gonna have to start saying I'm a Maverick"

:lol

Tamanon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Another thing: McCain totally dropped the ball on the bailout. He didn't really mention "suspending" his campaign, didn't mention any specifics on his involvement, and more importantly didn't separate himself from Obama or Bush. He agreed to oversight, cutting CEO compensation, etc. He could have really hammered that issue and maybe publically announced a brand new plan. Instead he followed everyone else.

Yeah McCain even admitted that he supports the bailout. So now he's trapped.

Amir0x

Banned
"I've been saying that for... how long have I been saying that?"

"PRETTY SOON I WILL HAVE TO START SAYING I'M A MAVERICK" :lol :lol

syllogism

PhoenixDark said:
Another thing: McCain totally dropped the ball on the bailout. He didn't really mention "suspending" his campaign, didn't mention any specifics on his involvement, and more importantly didn't separate himself from Obama or Bush. He agreed to oversight, cutting CEO compensation, etc. He could have really hammered that issue and maybe publically announced a brand new plan. Instead he followed everyone else.
I've to give Mccain props for not doing that, because the plan really has to go through

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Guybrush Threepwood said:
You guys may call Ron Paul crazy or whatever, but his foreign policy shits all over the foreign policies of these two.
...which is the policy equivalent of donning earplugs and yelling 'I'M NOT LISTENING!'
Tamanon said:
Yeah McCain even admitted that he supports the bailout. So now he's trapped.
He shrugged his shoulders and said 'sure' when Lehrer questioned him.

That inspires confidence.

ghibli99

Vanish said:
Ok i missed the debate last night but is this what happened:

In general the public thought Obama did much better.
McCain absolutely refuses to look him in the eye for some reason. why?
McCain said horseshit (not clearly though)
anything else interesting?
Not really. For me, it was an opportunity to see them on stage together, to see how they interacted, and to clear the insane radio noise of the past several weeks. What I came away with was a clear opinion that Obama is my pick. It's hard to put into tangible/measurable terms, but his calm confidence and assured body language was much more presidential than the frail, disconnected, on-the-brink-of-exploding demeanor of McCain. The content of what they said was little more than the same talking points we've been hearing, but watching how they responded to one another was like night and day. It seems to me that McCain has no respect at all for Obama, and shows it clearly.

Mumei

so_awes said:
some comments on TPM about McCain not looking at Obama :lol

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/220226.php :lol

You know, thinking on my own reactions when I've been around someone I felt intimidated by (physically, mostly, but even feeling "stupid" by comparison), I do have that reaction of refusing to make eye contact, or look at the other person.

It's something I can get past by just getting the fuck over it - just look at them, force myself to make hard eye contact, and I'm fine - but I can knew I recognized what McCain was doing from somewhere.

RubxQub

This Barack 2.0 is fucking ace.

He's like 85% Barack, 15% Biden.

RumpledForeskin said:
He's always gonna come off better written, than freestyle.

No teleprompters here, are there? Edit: Nm, probably are.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
d0axllkqn06jinaljnrmlq.gif

1586vcp.gif

scorcho said:
...which is the policy equivalent of donning earplugs and yelling 'I'M NOT LISTENING!'

As far as I know, Ron Paul's foreign policy can be summed up quite nicely by a Thomas Jefferson quote:

"Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Gallup should include a least a part of "Suspend-Gate"
Looks like it did not work as McCain planned

MassiveAttack said:
I noticed this last night. When she walked up to shake his hand, he never looked at her and pulled his hand away as quickly as possible. What the hell is wrong with this guy?
I wonder if he feels a bit guilty about some of the low blows & lies his campaign has spewed?

RubxQub

Suikoguy said:
Gallup should include a least a part of "Suspend-Gate"
Looks like it did not work as McCain planned
This Gallup is basically all of "Suspend-Gate".

Next hit is going to be a Debate-a-ton.

GhaleonEB

Tracking polls for the day:

Gallup 49-44 (Up from a 3 point margin yesterday)
Rasmussen 50-44 (5 point spread yesterday)
Kos/R2k: 49-43 (up a point from yesterday)
Diageo/Hotline: 48-43 (down from 7 point spread yesterday)

All of which is moot with the debate now. The next few days will tell the story.

I watched it on PBS at this almost mansion-like old house. One of my dad's friends is heavily involved in the Ypsilanti Obama election campaign and he invited a bunch of people over. Lots of old liberal yuppies - it was like a real life version of poligaf without the memes and pictures.

*McCain grumbling*
old fart: bububub Haliburton!
*McCain garbling*
old lady: LOL LIKE KEATING FIVE AMIRITE
*McCain pedo smile*
old dude: he's more senile than me lol

smh

But the funniest thing was after the debates they got into a discussion on whether those Palin/bikini/gun photoshops were real pictures :lol

old lady: it's so disrespectful to women. what type of VP takes her clothes off like that
old lady 2: my son said they were fake
old lady 3: her breasts? probably lol
old dude: they look real to me

welcome to the internet

RubxQub

PhoenixDark said:
I watched it on PBS at this almost mansion-like old house. One of my dad's friends is heavily involved in the Ypsilanti Obama election campaign and he invited a bunch of people over. Lots of old liberal yuppies - it was like a real life version of poligaf without the memes and pictures.

*McCain grumbling*
old fart: bububub Haliburton!
*McCain garbling*
old lady: LOL LIKE KEATING FIVE AMIRITE
*McCain pedo smile*
old dude: he's more senile than me lol

smh

But the funniest thing was after the debates they got into a discussion on whether those Palin/bikini/gun photoshops were real pictures :lol

old lady: it's so disrespectful to women. what type of VP takes her clothes off like that
old lady 2: my son said they were fake
old lady 3: her breasts? probably lol
old dude: they look real to me

welcome to the internet
These are old people I can get behind :lol

thekad

Banned
As far as I know, Ron Paul's foreign policy can be summed up quite nicely by a Thomas Jefferson quote:

Yeah, that's not happening.

Looking at RCP... Colorado seems like a lock.

RubxQub

Looks like I missed Biden.

That was a fucking great follow-up stump to the debate. Don't fail us NC...

Tamanon

Banned

Great idea on the theoretical, but it doesn't work in reality. No alliances means worse trade or no trade.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy

I prefer the quote about leading by example, not by force.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Amir0x said:
boy if Florida goes Obama what a night it is going to be

If Obama can win states like a Florida, a North Carolina, or an Indiana, their whole party is going to change. They are going to start running ads in Indiana and I've never seen a presidential ad from a GOP member in my state. Shit is crazy.

Synth_floyd said:
McCain should shave that ugly comb over he has. That's all I have to say.
At least he doesn't plaster on the...*

Yeah, until I saw one of the reverse-angle shots of him avoiding meeting Obama's eyes, I wasn't aware that he was completely bald in the back. I just assumed it was a little wispy up there. Rudy instantly improved not only his looks but his bearing when he got rid of his. I think it's a little late for McCain to drastically change his appearance, though, and it's possible that many people are like me and didn't know he combed over.

*Actually, he does. The McCain campaign spent $5,583.43 in August to Tifanie White, the make-up artist for American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance.

theBishop

Banned
I walked past the Palin "Watch Party" in Philadelphia last night. There were tons of protesters! Probably 500+ crowded around the Irish Pub on 20th and Walnut. I took some pictures with my cell phone, but they came out blurry:

1040yae.jpg

2qukz84.jpg

Lots of people were holding signs like "I can see russia from here!" or "Pro-Science, Anti-Palin". It was a lot of fun. :lol

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
theBishop said:
I walked past the Palin "Watch Party" in Philadelphia last night. There were tons of protesters! Probably 500+ crowded around the Irish Pub on 20th and Walnut. I took some pictures with my cell phone, but they came out blurry:

1040yae.jpg

2qukz84.jpg

Lots of people were holding signs like "I can see russia from here!" or "Pro-Science, Anti-Palin". It was a lot of fun. :lol
I scrolled down and thought that was screen cap from a Cloverfield 2 trailer or something. the hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom