• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrajag

Banned
Kusagari said:
Yeah, it's amazing how different parts of Florida are. I live in South Florida and literally don't know a single Republican.

Eh, it varies. There are more Republicans among the older folks here, but the young people in South Florida seem to be mostly liberal.

Rur0ni

Stoney Mason said:
Republican dogma on Castro. I'm on an iphone so somebody else can give the long version.
obama08-thoughtfulavatar237.jpg

numble

Zapages said:
We were both going to register through voteforchange.com... Will that be the same...
I think Vote For Change automatically figures out the requirements based on your state (and even your area, I believe).

maximum360 said:
What's up the Cubans?

Still pissed at Kennedy for the Bay of Pigs and still want, when Castro dies or is removed, to be able to go back to Cuba and claim its property and industry for themselves.

Younger cuban-americans born in the US are turning out not to be as crazy, thankfully, and Obama's team has been going after them heavily as a untapped Democratic voter pool in FL.

Since this thread has slowed down considerably, lemme ask:

What's with all the hate on Wolf Blitzer and CNN? People call them terrible, but I haven't seen anything that I can qualify as that. Or is it just that they don't push on issues as much as people think they should?

Pakkidis

DeaconKnowledge said:

What's with all the hate on Wolf Blitzer and CNN? People call them terrible, but I haven't seen anything that I can qualify as that. Or is it just that they don't push on issues as much as people think they should?

Wolf comes across as someone who only focuses on talking points and doesn't bother too much with the substantials behind them.

Zeliard

Pakkidis said:
Wolf comes across as someone who only focuses on talking points and doesn't bother too much with the substantials behind them.

Their constant harping of them being "the best news team on television" is also quite obnoxious. That's probably one of the reasons.

DeaconKnowledge said:

People hate Blitzer, and, to a lesser extent, CNN because they epitomize the terrible practice of "he-said, she said" reporting where both fact and fiction, good ideas and bad ideas, are weighed different purely because they come from people with different partisan or political affiliations.

I know that's my complaint with Wolf. Though I admit this bit from his coverage of Katrina ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-439033096735003491 ) is one of the more hilariously awful things I have ever heard on television.

Brannon

Women have more hiding places, so the piece will be under her breast and no where else. Shut up about that other area in advance.

numble

DeaconKnowledge said:

http://rawstory.com/rawreplay/?p=1592

This is a good example of CNN and Wolf Blitzer's equivocating over something that was pretty certain just because they want to be non-partisan.

Trakdown

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:O Hadn't heard that before.

The beautiful thing about this is that since McCain's campaign has basically taken over Palin's office, her approval rating has plummeted because nobody in Alaska has access to their own government. So it's actually hurting her to try to hold up this investigation.

Pelosi is asking for a final bailout agreement by tonight so that members can review the principles in full overnight and vote on it tomorrow, having th preznit sign it tomorrow afternoon/evening. The House GOP is really getting the screws put to them because a failure to get this bill out by the end of the weekend makes John McCain look even worse-instead of the "white knight to save the day" he becomes the "fool that ruined the negotiations".

I think it's increasingly likely that the bill is going to go through the House without majority GOP support there. It'll still get a good share of votes from the Republicans but not as much as Democrats will like. It'll be made up for in the Senate, where it should breeze through with only a few dissenters, and one of those NOT being John McCain, who is basically tied to the bill's safe passage at this point (there is no way that the bill even comes to the floor w/o McCain's and Obama's support).

Look for one provision to be modified at most, but it's pretty clear that the final compromise bill will look very much like the Dodd legislation passed around earlier this week.

Senator Bennett from Utah is saying that a very large bank will fail on Monday if action isn't passed this weekend. My hunch is that it is Wachovia-the nation's fourth largest bank-whose collapse would hit the North Carolina political geography like a nuclear bomb.

Trakdown

Fragamemnon said:
Pelosi is asking for a final bailout agreement by tonight so that members can review the principles in full overnight and vote on it tomorrow, having th preznit sign it tomorrow afternoon/evening. The House GOP is really getting the screws put to them because a failure to get this bill out by the end of the weekend makes John McCain look even worse-instead of the "white knight to save the day" he becomes the "fool that ruined the negotiations".

Even worse, the House GOP members risk looking like assholes. Most of the headlines from McCain's Fail Mary (campaign suspension+parachute mission) blamed the Republicans for stalling the passage. Pence, Boehner and company aren't going to risk taking the blame for him twice.

Also, I remember hearing that there was going to be an option on dealing with the bad debts- either buying them or insuring them. I'll see if I can find the info on it.

Trakdown said:
Even worse, the House GOP members risk looking like assholes. Most of the headlines from McCain's Fail Mary (campaign suspension+parachute mission) blamed the Republicans for stalling the passage. Pence, Boehner and company aren't going to risk taking the blame for him twice.

They could actually have gotten some provisions if their ideas weren't SO FUCKING DUMB. Cut taxes and less deregulation. W-T-F.

Trakdown said:
Also, I remember hearing that there was going to be an option on dealing with the bad debts- either buying them or insuring them. I'll see if I can find the info on it.

They want the government to fix the liability/leverage problem by insuring private mortgages. The problem is that it does nothing to fix the capitalizaiton problem (which the House GOP wanted to fix with loltaxcuts), which is the immediate need. Not to mention that insuring that stuff would likely result in a huge taxpayer loss, where as the Dodd/Paulson plan that was hammered out gives the government an equity stake, screwing the shareholders but saving the day to day operations of the bank and better protecting the taxpayers.

Trakdown

Fragamemnon said:
Senator Bennett from Utah is saying that a very large bank will fail on Monday if action isn't passed this weekend. My hunch is that it is Wachovia-the nation's fourth largest bank-whose collapse would hit the North Carolina political geography like a nuclear bomb.

Wachovia's already in merger talks with Citigroup. Previously, they were talking with Morgan Stanley, but apparently those talks are over.

Ether_Snake said:
How many big banks will be left after this mess? 3?

Anyone's guess. The real big problem though is that the larger institutions left standing will be "too big to fail", which to me means that they are too big to exist as a singular corporate entity and will need to be broken up.

Huzah

Fragamemnon said:
They want the government to fix the liability/leverage problem by insuring private mortgages. The problem is that it does nothing to fix the capitalizaiton problem (which the House GOP wanted to fix with loltaxcuts), which is the immediate need. Not to mention that insuring that stuff would likely result in a huge taxpayer loss, where as the Dodd/Paulson plan that was hammered out gives the government an equity stake, screwing the shareholders but saving the day to day operations of the bank and better protecting the taxpayers.

The thing with insurance is that any insurance by the Gov is basically the same as buying the toxic assets at par value - whatever insurance fee because it shifts all liabilities to the Gov.

agrajag said:
Most straight couples are fucking idiots. They keep insisting that gays can't marry because marriage is a religious concept. We're supposed to have a separation of church and fucking state. They can still get married in their church and their marriage will be recognized as a strictly religious ceremony.

Like it or not, it'll be a hell of a lot easier to get the straight majority to accept SSM than to get them to accept any change in the legal status of their own marriages, even if said change is purely semantic. That's just reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom