• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tamanon said:
There's a reason he said "consumer" market.

Capitalism is predicated on consumers.

I mean I get the distinction, but it's silly. Fuckin' Beanie Babies obeyed the same principle. Oh, wait....

Dax01 said:
I'm can't seem to find the cord that connects the camera to my computer. Gimme some more time.
do you need a cord for impressions, too? come on, feed us something!

(or turn on the uga game and enjoy a slight poligaf break to enjoy the thrashing bama is providing)

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/26/AR2008092603957_pf.html

Pelosi said Obama would speak for the Democrats. Though later he would pepper Paulson with questions, according to a Republican in the room, his initial point was brief: "We've got to get something done."

Bush turned to McCain, who joked, "The longer I am around here, the more I respect seniority." McCain then turned to Boehner and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to speak first.

Boehner was blunt. The plan Paulson laid out would not win the support of the vast majority of House Republicans. It had been improved on the edges, with an oversight board and caps on the compensation of participating executives. But it had to be changed at the core. He did not mention the insurance alternative, but Democrats did. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, pressed Boehner hard, asking him if he really intended to scrap the deal and start again.

No, Boehner replied, he just wanted his members to have a voice. Obama then jumped in to turn the question on his rival: "What do you think of the [insurance] plan, John?" he asked repeatedly. McCain did not answer.

One Republican in the room said it was clear that the Democrats came into the meeting with a "game plan" aimed at forcing McCain to choose between the administration and House Republicans. "They had taken McCain's request for a meeting and trumped it," said this source.

Congressional aides from both parties were standing in the lobby of the West Wing, unaware of the discord inside the Cabinet room, when McCain emerged alone, shook the hands of the Marines at the door and left. The aides were baffled. The plan had been for a bipartisan appearance before the media, featuring McCain, Obama and at least a firm statement in favor of intervention. Now, one of the leading men was gone.

Mayhaps that explains why McCain was so angry, he basically had to bitch out of the meeting that he was wanting credit for.:lol

Tamanon said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/26/AR2008092603957_pf.html

Mayhaps that explains why McCain was so angry, he basically had to bitch out of the meeting that he was wanting credit for.:lol

I have no clue what McCain and his people were thinking he was going to go there and do...

I know a portion of GAF was panicking that he might come out of this unscathed and look like a hero (I felt like there was a slim chance of this), but fuck, he totally muffed that; not even close.

thekad

Banned
Something I've been wondering: Did these CDOs consist of other kinds of loans beside mortgages? If so, then it's no wonder this thing is such a clusterfuck.

Also, everyone should listen to that This American Life episode Hitokage keeps posting. It puts the credit crisis in such simple terms, I think almost everyone can understand it.

edit: :lol @ the New York Times. They're not going to stop, are they?

Brannon

Ether_Snake said:
No he always do that with everyone. Argh.

Which is just stupid. People have grappled onto the 'change' mantra like grim death, and we've seen that doing the same thing for the last eight years hasn't worked. Lack of eye contact may have gotten him to where he is now, but it's not working anymore. It didn't work when McCain ran in 2000, and it's not working now, but still he insists.

Change, McCain. Don't just steal it. Be it.

CharlieDigital said:
I have no clue what McCain and his people were thinking he was going to go there and do...

I know a portion of GAF was panicking that he might come out of this unscathed and look like a hero (I felt like there was a slim chance of this), but fuck, he totally muffed that; not even close.

Yea, but does Obama look like a bully now?

Tamanon said:

-Senator McCain desired to go to washington and get the politicians working across party lines to rescue us from financial crisis. He hoped to bring Senator Obama to the table, but it seems he was more interested in partisan politics and dissolving what good work was being done.-

Tamanon

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
-Senator McCain desired to go to washington and get the politicians working across party lines to rescue us from financial crisis. He hoped to bring Senator Obama to the table, but it seems he was more interested in partisan politics and dissolving what good work was being done.-

How so?

nyong

Banned
Byakuya769 said:

Nah, most people will never even know this took place.

I'll tell you what, though. After watching the debates last night, I'm fairly certain both of them hate each other. Obama has fury in his eyes. The angriest moment was when the crowd laughed at one of McCain's jokes, and Obama quickly faced them with a death stare. I need to track down and make a gif of that. I'm willing to bet they both have anger issues.

I'm amazed that McCain managed to keep his temper in check as much as he did. He interrupted a few times and refused to look at Obama, which is bad enough I suppose. No explosive moments unfortunately.

In any case, the gloves are off. This campaign is going to take a nasty turn, I'm calling it now. And the next round of debates should be extremely entertaining.

Jirotrom

Byakuya769 said:
k -gaf doesn't know shit-

apparently this situation is impervious to any kind of spin.....
no... we get it, its just that no one cares to give McCain that sympathy especially after last night.

Lemonz

capt.12cf2694c47e464ea53bd0fcbdab9dbe.obama_2008_vash101.jpg

capt.de9d911f0f994c2687fb7b83b3294273.obama_2008_vash102.jpg

capt.995b503eaf7f43388a89c04f8eacd9a8.obama_2008_vash103.jpg

capt.a5f0edfc8bad43349a76b190d8d30269.obama_2008_vash104.jpg

capt.337036f0bd3a430ebefeedf9a5a3ab76.obama_2008_vaab123.jpg

r4136019414.jpg

r2236082658.jpg

capt.d0e3cf451abc42aca31ea1d49a9a3340.obama_2008_vaab134.jpg

capt.d1894d96276f4941b30e5dc19f51d34e.obama_2008_vaab133.jpg

capt.6d3e3953ebdb413a8979e12e954d6067.obama_2008_vaab131.jpg

r1867352454.jpg

capt.e26d34b4f299427b98578da823a4bc6b.obama_2008_vaab132.jpg

r1652377130.jpg

r2045894152.jpg

r2958880982.jpg

r2819845616.jpg

Brak

Byakuya769 said:
How does that make Obama a bully?

Byakuya769 said:

Not really. It makes McCain look like a coward for not picking a position (Obama was clearly aboard the Dem/Paulson plan), he could have either forced further negotiations if he supported the House GOP idea or undercut the House GOP conservatives by saying it was a bad idea. Heck, he could have said "I don't like this idea specifically, but I do like the idea of making Wall Street pay for this if this paper really isn't worth shit without socializing financial institutions with equity", an idea which has somewhat lead to the current idea of a recoupment plan to cover taxpayer losses that has been floated around today.

Instead, the Maverick cut his radio and sat in the room doing his My Pet Goat impersonation, then fled from the meeting. WEAK.

AniHawk

Apparently my (85 year-old, Democratic) grandma was really put off by McCain's sneering last night. My parents and I all agreed that it seemed pretty much a wash. We saw it on PBS where there wasn't any split-screen stuff, so maybe that's part of it.

omg rite said:
Are there any polls that were taken today out yet?
daily trackers will start to include them in their rolling averages starting tomorrow, and state by state or "official" national polls need a couple days of data then a day or two of analysis before publishing them, so if today was the last day of a national/state poll (and really, why you would do that i dont know, why not wait until its completely post debate or pre debate) then info from today's polls will come out at the earliest really monday. one polling group started a florida poll today and said itll come out tuesday, so yeah...sat/sun/mon of polling then info out tuesday

Does Deux take those photos or what?

Wait, it wasn't Deux this time. I feel retarded.

Are they available in high def? The rain one looks worthy of a wallpaper status. So does Obama pondering.

nyong

Banned
AniHawk said:
Apparently my (85 year-old, Democratic) grandma was really put off by McCain's sneering last night. My parents and I all agreed that it seemed pretty much a wash. We saw it on PBS where there wasn't any split-screen stuff, so maybe that's part of it.

McCain last night reminding me a lot of Kerry in 2004. Arrogant and condescending. I would not be surprised in the slightest if this hurts his reputation, even among republicans.

The moment that pissed me off the most was when he tried dragging military mothers into the debate and flaunted some dead soldier's mother's bracelet. I couldn't believe I was watching a bracelet pissing content on national television. So humiliating. And then Obama fed right into it....

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
nyong said:
McCain last night reminding me a lot of Kerry in 2004. Arrogant and condescending. I would not be surprised in the slightest if this hurts his reputation, even among republicans.

The moment that pissed me off the most was when he tried dragging military mothers into the debate and flaunted some dead soldier's mother's bracelet. I couldn't believe I was watching a bracelet pissing content on national television. So humiliating. And then Obama fed right into it....

Obama did the right thing, McCain tried to make it sound like military mothers are all gonna vote for him. Obama showed there was two sides to this conflict.

nyong

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Obama did the right thing, McCain tried to make it sound like military mothers are all gonna vote for him. Obama showed there was two sides to this conflict.

I think Obama's actions were nothing more than a "me too" moment.

TDG

Banned
nyong said:
I think you're confusing Kerry and Gore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom