• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
artredis1980 said:
somebody suggest this to the house democrats:

Democrats get the bill ready and its signed, Pelosi say she will call a press meeting and lo and behold, barrack hussein obama is standing next to reid and pelosi which she tells the american people that we have reached a compromise with the help of Obama so that tax payers are protected

instant win

That'll never happen. Nobody is going to stick their necks out. The only thing that will pass will have both parties on board.

All politicians involved realize that these bailouts MAY NOT WORK, and they don't want their party to be blamed for it if the economy still tanks after we waste trillions.

When McCain is physically present and promises to vote for this, then the dems will vote for it. Not a moment sooner.

Cheebs

artredis1980 said:
the bill is ready, they are just saying its not until McCain comes., its all a ploy. im telling the dems to 1up reps and use Obama
Except Obama point blank stated yesterday the presidential candidates should not insert themselves into this, it'd be a direct contradiction of his previous stance.

Ok I want an opinion,

CNN and all other news outlets show

Bush, McCain, Obama, in one photopp discussing economy and saying a resolution has been reached

will it:

1. benefit Obama?
2. benefit McCain?
3. benefit only Bush?
4. No one benefits

artredis1980 said:
Ok I want an opinion,

Bush, McCain, Obama, in one photopp discussing economy and saying a resolution has been reached

will it:

1. benefit Obama?
2. benefit McCain?
3. benefit only Bush?
4. No one benefits

I'd say:

5. screws the taxpayers

Cheebs

artredis1980 said:
Ok I want an opinion,

will it:

1. benefit Obama?
2. benefit McCain?
3. benefit only Bush?
4. No one benefits
Who knows. Just don't worry about it.

artredis1980 said:
the bill is ready, they are just saying its not until McCain comes., its all a ploy. im telling the dems to 1up reps and use Obama

It won't work and will even more transparent than McCain's ploy. Bad idea.

manngc

artredis1980 said:
While that's definitely a possiblity, I truely believe that the Republican constituents are vehemently against a bailout and the Reps know this, hence they are not in agreement with the bill.

artredis1980 said:
Ok I want an opinion,

will it:

1. benefit Obama?
2. benefit McCain?
3. benefit only Bush?
4. No one benefits

I don't see how it could benefit anyone other than McCain. He's the one who suspended his campaign and got the ball rolling on todays bipartisan meeting. Obama is the one who said they have no business there and should keep campaigning.

manngc said:
While that's definitely a possiblity, I truely believe that the Republican constituents are vehemently against a bailout and the Reps know this, hence they are not in agreement with the bill.

but McCain is seemingly for it, and so is Bush and so are the dems and Obama . so if the reps block it, wouldnt it be over for McCain? his support among core reps will fall

Joe

i got $20 that says mccain comes out of this looking like an economic hero and maverick with nothing more than slick political maneuvering.

manngc

beermonkey@tehbias said:
That'll never happen. Nobody is going to stick their necks out. The only thing that will pass will have both parties on board.

All politicians involved realize that these bailouts MAY NOT WORK, and they don't want their party to be blamed for it if the economy still tanks after we waste trillions.

When McCain is physically present and promises to vote for this, then the dems will vote for it. Not a moment sooner.
Exactly, this has all been designed to ensure neither party gets credit/blame for the bill.

manngc said:

More like the people who fund their campaigns are against bailouts that gives the taxpayers equity in exchange for their money, and which restrict compensation for executives whose firms get to suckle from the teat.

Constituents haven't been as important as donors and lobbyists for a long, long time.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Joe said:
i got $20 that says mccain comes out of this looking like an economic hero and maverick.

I'll take that bet - based on what I've heard online and anecdotally riding the subway... people are pissed about this and think McCain is a joke.

In my dream of dreams, on Friday night, Barack is there next to an empty seat.

McCain doubled down on this and he'll look the fool for it in the end.

ronito

Joe said:
i got $20 that says mccain comes out of this looking like an economic hero and maverick with nothing more than slick political maneuvering.
of course, but to what crowd? The people that pay attention? Probably not. The media? maybe. Republicans? That's an easy bet. Democrats? Never.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Bumblebeetuna said:
Hasn't McCain asked for more than a few town hall debates already which Obama declined?
Yep.

I think Barack should have accepted the invitation on the stipulation that Barack and McCain have a speech-off.

Person who draws the biggest crowd gets 20 extra electoral votes on Nov 4th.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
artredis1980 said:
Bill Clinton: McCain is not afraid to debate Obama

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13903.html

Goddammit Clinton. Stop been a butt hurt bum. Just get over the loss in the primaries; it just wasn't meant to be. And now your legacy in your closing years is tumbling... we haven't been vocal about it, but the deregulations happened on your watch!

It's absolutely a transparent ploy... this political process is even more important, then any handling of crisis (of which McCain can't do jack shit about anyway (or next to jackshit)), and it's also an important show of multitasking and crisis management. If you haven't halt everything to manage a single problem, of which you're not even really involved with anyway, then it reflects extremely poorly on you.

With so many instances of debates occurring despite national emergencies... ultimately, you can't help but conclude that Bill Clinton is just throwing in to obfuscate things. It's clear; McCain is been a dirty debate dodger, he has no valid reason to stop the campaign (and it certainly doesn't mean that his opponent should pause his campaign either... although idiot pundits will try to spin it that way).

ShOcKwAvE said:
Which is probably true. Why would he be? He might be afraid of dropping further in polls, but not about substance.
Then why has he run a completely substance-less campaign?
Crayon Shinchan said:
Goddammit Clinton. Stop been a butt hurt bum. Just get over the loss in the primaries; it just wasn't meant to be. And now your legacy in your closing years is tumbling... we haven't been vocal about it, but the deregulations happened on your watch!

It's absolutely a transparent ploy... this political process is even more important, then any handling of crisis (of which McCain can't do jack shit about anyway (or next to jackshit)), and it's also an important show of multitasking and crisis management. If you haven't halt everything to manage a single problem, of which you're not even really involved with anyway, then it reflects extremely poorly on you.

With so many instances of debates occurring despite national emergencies... ultimately, you can't help but conclude that Bill Clinton is just throwing in to obfuscate things. It's clear; McCain is been a dirty debate dodger, he has no valid reason to stop the campaign (and it certainly doesn't mean that his opponent should pause his campaign either... although idiot pundits will try to spin it that way).
Not sure why people are up in arms about Clinton's comments. The CGI is his main gig and he's always wanted to keep it non-partisan, I don't know why you'd expect him to sink his teeth into McCain the same day he invited McCain to speak there.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I was just watching McCain's latest soundbite on CNN.

"I'm an old Navy pilot and I know how to respond to a crisis - all hands on deck. That's the situation in Washington at this very hour."

O RLY? If that's so, why are you YOU spending this very hour posturing in front of a gaggle of TV cameras?

Oh right, because this is all a bullshit political maneuver.

Xisiqomelir

You guys need to lay off the Clintons. Bill destroyed Bush on the Daily Show this week, and Hillary has made Bams $5M so far, which is more than any of his other fundraisers, IIRC.

Crayon Shinchan said:

What a load. The dude isn't speechifying, he's promoting his charity. And people are asking him questions. Because he was President once (early-mid nineties). And he's answering them honestly.

Just got this email:

DEAR AMERICAN:

I NEED TO ASK YOU TO SUPPORT AN URGENT SECRET BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH A TRANSFER OF FUNDS OF GREAT MAGNITUDE.

I AM MINISTRY OF THE TREASURY OF THE REPUBLIC OF AMERICA. MY COUNTRY HAS HAD CRISIS THAT HAS CAUSED THE NEED FOR LARGE TRANSFER OF FUNDS OF 800 BILLION DOLLARS US. IF YOU WOULD ASSIST ME IN THIS TRANSFER, IT WOULD BE MOST PROFITABLE TO YOU.

I AM WORKING WITH MR. PHIL GRAM, LOBBYIST FOR UBS, WHO WILL BE MY REPLACEMENT AS MINISTRY OF THE TREASURY IN JANUARY. AS A SENATOR, YOU MAY KNOW HIM AS THE LEADER OF THE AMERICAN BANKING DEREGULATION MOVEMENT IN THE 1990S. THIS TRANSACTIN IS 100% SAFE.

THIS IS A MATTER OF GREAT URGENCY. WE NEED A BLANK CHECK. WE NEED THE FUNDS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. WE CANNOT DIRECTLY TRANSFER THESE FUNDS IN THE NAMES OF OUR CLOSE FRIENDS BECAUSE WE ARE CONSTANTLY UNDER SURVEILLANCE. MY FAMILY LAWYER ADVISED ME THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR A RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY PERSON WHO WILL ACT AS A NEXT OF KIN SO THE FUNDS CAN BE TRANSFERRED.

PLEASE REPLY WITH ALL OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, IRA AND COLLEGE FUND ACCOUNT NUMBERS AND THOSE OF YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN TO WALLSTREETBAILOUT@TREASURY.GOV SO THAT WE MAY TRANSFER YOUR COMMISSION FOR THIS TRANSACTION. AFTER I RECEIVE THAT INFORMATION, I WILL RESPOND WITH DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT SAFEGUARDS THAT WILL BE USED TO PROTECT THE FUNDS.

YOURS FAITHFULLY MINISTER OF TREASURY PAULSON

Cheebs

Gary Whitta said:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I was just watching McCain's latest soundbite on CNN.

"I'm an old Navy pilot and I know how to respond to a crisis - all hands on deck. That's the situation in Washington at this very hour."

O RLY? If that's so, why are you YOU spending this very hour posturing in front of a gaggle of TV cameras?

One time McCain was on a navy deck he accidentally set his airplane on fire and the whole deck exploded killing like a dozen people.

lol

RubxQub

Cheebs said:
One time McCain was on a navy deck he accidentally set his airplane on fire and the whole deck exploded killing like a dozen people.

lol
Uh...wtf? I know this is John McCain we're talking about...but even so...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Gary Whitta said:

Wow. Just wow. How fucking insulting, really. What a sad little man he's become. Broken by blind ambition and a willingness to do what he's told to do at the cost of his integrity. Ugh.

I'll say it again: if Obama were this cowardly and full of shit and outright dishonest, I'd be voting Nader.

Haunted

RubxQub said:
Yep.

I think Barack should have accepted the invitation on the stipulation that Barack and McCain have a speech-off.

Person who draws the biggest crowd gets 20 extra electoral votes on Nov 4th.
15711__zoolander_l.jpg

RubxQub

Gary Whitta said:
It's true, that was on CNN's "Inside McCain" biography special.
WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

John McCain is such a total fuck-up.....holy fuck is that bad.

ronito

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080925/ap_on_el_pr/palin_witchcraft_blessing
ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A grainy YouTube video surfaced Wednesday showing Sarah Palin being blessed in her hometown church three years ago by a Kenyan pastor who prayed for her protection from "witchcraft" as she prepared to seek higher office.

The video shows Palin standing before Bishop Thomas Muthee in the pulpit of the Wasilla Assembly of God church, holding her hands open as he asked Jesus Christ to keep her safe from "every form of witchcraft."

"Come on, talk to God about this woman. We declare, save her from Satan," Muthee said as two attendants placed their hands on Palin's shoulders. "Make her way my God. Bring finances her way even for the campaign in the name of Jesus. ... Use her to turn this nation the other way around."

Palin filed campaign papers a few months later, in October 2005, and was elected governor the next year.

Palin does not say anything on the video and keeps her head bowed throughout the blessing. The Republican vice presidential candidate was baptized at the church but stopped attending regularly in 2002.

A spokesman for the McCain campaign declined to comment. A person who answered the phone at the Wasilla church confirmed the video was from May 2005 but declined further comment.

Palin was baptized Roman Catholic as a newborn.

Pentecostals are conservative in their reading of the Bible. Unlike most other Christians — including most evangelicals — Pentecostals believe in "baptism in the Holy Spirit." That can manifest itself through speaking in tongues, modern-day prophesy and faith healing, which includes the laying on of hands.

Maria Comella, a spokeswoman for the McCain-Palin campaign, has said Palin attends different churches and does not consider herself Pentecostal.

On a visit to the church in June 2008, Palin spoke fondly of the Kenyan pastor and told a group of young missionaries that Muthee's prayers had helped her to become governor.

"Pastor Muthee was here and he was praying over me, and you know how he speaks and he's so bold," she said. "And he was praying 'Lord make a way, Lord make a way' ... He said, 'Lord make a way and let her do this next step.' And that's exactly what happened."

The Rev. Zipporah Ndiritu, who studied under Muthee in the Kiambu, Kenya-based Word of Faith Church, said the bishop is revered among evangelicals there. In a phone interview from Mombasa, Kenya, she said church doctrine focuses on ridding the world of demons — and witches.

"Even in the days of Jesus Christ, according to the Bible there were witches who were manifesting through demonic forces," she said. "You can seek from the Lord, and if you find demonic forces you cast them out."

Ndiritu said she did not know Palin.

Maybe she should've been blessed with protection against hard questions instead.

Cheebs

RubxQub said:
WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

John McCain is such a total fuck-up.....holy fuck is that bad.
Well I guess him catching his plane on fire killed a lot more than a dozen. That site says the explosion he caused killed 168.

I know it was a accident but jesus...if I accidentally killed 168 navy officers I dunno how I'd be able to sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom