• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
kaching said:
But if the article is true, it wasn't merely an accident, it was reckless endangerment. And the more you piece together the man's history, the more you realize he hasn't learned a damn thing from those days.
I'm not sure as a pilot, McCain had much choice over the temperature rating of the armament he used...

mamacint said:
I'm not sure as a pilot, McCain had much choice over the temperature rating of the armament he used...
He had a choice not to mount it on his plane after being told it was dangerous to do so. He also had a choice not to breach deck regulations by "wet-starting" his plane as a goof-off.

Jonm1010

Banned
mamacint said:
I dunno, details are sketchy. Sounds like a faulty rocket went off, hard to blame McCain.

And wiki says 134 deaths. I know the right would be having a field day with this if the tables were turned, but let's try and be better mmm'kay?

yea im just reading the comments and some other stuff and the consensus seems to be what your saying.

Obama pulls ahead in Michigan
As the two presidential hopefuls lock horns over the recent mortgage and banking crisis, an exclusive new WXYZ-TV, Detroit News poll shows the economy is having an affect on the opinions of likely voters.

The poll was conducted by EPIC MRA between September 20 and September 22, and features a sample of 406 people. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9%.

The poll found that if the election were held today 48% of people in Michigan would vote for Barack Obama. That’s compared with 38% of people who say they would vote for John McCain.

The poll also asked if voters had favorable opinions of the candidates on both tickets. 56% of people say they have a favorable opinion of Barack Obama, compared with a 48% favorable rating for John McCain. On the Vice Presidential side of the tickets, 46% of people say they have a favorable opinion of Sarah Palin, compared with 52% of people who say they have a favorable opinion of Joe Biden.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
And while pilots tell us that a “wet start” is possible even without an afterburner, the theory fails for another reason. The tail of McCain's plane was pointed over the side of the carrier and away from other planes at the time, and the F4 Phantom fighter that fired the missile was facing McCain's plane from the opposite side of the deck, as shown in Caiella’s diagram, in other diagrams, and in Navy film of the fire.

So it's not true that he was "wet-starting" or whatever the fuck. Good. Makes him less of an asshole at least.

Lemonz

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert: Mock the Vote

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20228603,00.html?iid=top25-20080925-Stewart+&+Colbert:+Exclusive+Q&A

stewart-colber-cover_l.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm officially a ripe candidate for the Dark Side...

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads...to suffering.

My furiousity meter just went from 0 to 100 back down to 0 :lol

Sharp

SSGMUN10000 said:
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

According to msnbc Sarah Palin actually answered reporters questions...stay tuned.
I find that hard to believe personally. Answered the questions correctly, or just answered them?

Askani

It's hilarious how some of you ate that up like candy.

:lol cheebs and Gary

No kidding. :lol :lol

Should give some people some perspective on how they're really willing to believe anything they hear so long as it remotely lines up with their opinions. Ready to believe this was true without looking anything up. "It was negativity about McCain and I support Obama so it must be true. I Hate McCain RAWR!!"

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Sharp said:
I find that hard to believe personally. Answered the questions correctly, or just answered them?

They havent showed the video yet. They just reported it so hopefully there is video.

RubxQub

Sharp said:
My guess is that questions were directed towards her, and she in term said some words.

Whether or not those words answered said question has yet to be seen. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...no...no they didn't.

SSGMUN10000 said:
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

According to msnbc Sarah Palin actually answered reporters questions...stay tuned.

POLITICO: Do you support the reelection bids of embattled Alaska Republicans, Rep. Don Young and Sen. Ted Stevens?

A: Ted Stevens trial started a couple days ago. We'll see where that goes.

POLITICO: Are you gong to vote for them?

[no answer.]

Maybe there's more..

RubxQub

Askani said:
No kidding. :lol :lol

Should give some people some perspective on how they're really willing to believe anything they hear so long as it remotely lines up with their opinions. Ready to believe this was true without looking anything up. It was negativity about McCain and I support Obama so it must be true. I Hate McCain RAWR!!"
I believed it because I found a news article claiming to be directly from Navy reports, and Cheebs and Gary were saying the story was true.

After doing some more investigation, found out it was false. Cut me some slack!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Lemonz said:
Why do you think some people embraced her as a folk hero?
STEWART: I keep hearing that she's ''like us.'' There's this idea that people who hunt and have ''good'' values are somehow this mythological American; I don't know who ''this'' person is, I've never met them. She is no more typical ''us'' than I am, than Obama is, than McCain is, than Mr. T is. If there is something quintessentially or authentically American about her, I sort of feel like, you know what? You ''good values people'' have had the country for eight years, and done an unbelievably s---ty job. Let's find some bad values people and give them a shot, maybe they'll have a better take on it.
WORD THE FUCK UP

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
RubxQub said:
I believed it because I found a news article claiming to be directly from Navy reports, and Cheebs and Gary were saying the story was true.

After doing some more investigation, found out it was false. Cut me some slack!

I think it is also worth noting how fast everyone backed off once we found out that it wasn't true. Can anyone say the same about the other side?

Posting the best part of Sorkin's Obama/Bartlet meeting, just because:

BARTLET: GET ANGRIER! Call them liars, because that’s what they are. Sarah Palin didn’t say “thanks but no thanks” to the Bridge to Nowhere. She just said “Thanks.” You were raised by a single mother on food stamps — where does a guy with eight houses who was legacied into Annapolis get off calling you an elitist? And by the way, if you do nothing else, take that word back. Elite is a good word, it means well above average. I’d ask them what their problem is with excellence. While you’re at it, I want the word “patriot” back. McCain can say that the transcendent issue of our time is the spread of Islamic fanaticism or he can choose a running mate who doesn’t know the Bush doctrine from the Monroe Doctrine, but he can’t do both at the same time and call it patriotic. They have to lie — the truth isn’t their friend right now. Get angry. Mock them mercilessly; they’ve earned it. McCain decried agents of intolerance, then chose a running mate who had to ask if she was allowed to ban books from a public library. It’s not bad enough she thinks the planet Earth was created in six days 6,000 years ago complete with a man, a woman and a talking snake, she wants schools to teach the rest of our kids to deny geology, anthropology, archaeology and common sense too? It’s not bad enough she’s forcing her own daughter into a loveless marriage to a teenage hood, she wants the rest of us to guide our daughters in that direction too? It’s not enough that a woman shouldn’t have the right to choose, it should be the law of the land that she has to carry and deliver her rapist’s baby too? I don’t know whether or not Governor Palin has the tenacity of a pit bull, but I know for sure she’s got the qualifications of one. And you’re worried about seeming angry? You could eat their lunch, make them cry and tell their mamas about it and God himself would call it restrained. There are times when you are simply required to be impolite. There are times when condescension is called for!

reilo said:
WORD THE FUCK UP
Of course Stewart would say that crap. He's from New York City of all places -- the biggest city of them all. Of course Palin isn't like him. Her values haven't been corrupted by the bastardized values of such a cosmopolitan city.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
COLBERT: People can be hung by anything they say. We've done it.
STEWART: We've done it too. You can kill people all the time for things that are absolutely human frailties.
COLBERT: You can even manufacture the frailty, and then hang them with it.
STEWART: That's why I don't excuse what I guess you'd call the satiro-industrial complex from culpability.
COLBERT: That's funny: I absolve me. I could absolve you if you want.
STEWART: That's the beauty of having a demagogue on right after your show — he can actually absolve our show, which is incredibly convenient.
COLBERT: One of the reasons I think politicians are very easy to interview is because you know what they're going to say. I can write the entire interview before I even meet them.
STEWART: We write a lot of our convention coverage before we even go out there.
:lol

RubxQub

GhaleonEB said:
Gallup: tied at 46

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/xrgvwac7s0oqpmlwhv49pw.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
America. Land of the free, home of the brave.

Where Americans are absolute morons, and should only be allowed to vote if they are worthy, not just because they are American.

Zeliard

GhaleonEB said:
Gallup: tied at 46

xrgvwac7s0oqpmlwhv49pw.gif

No biggie. 538 predicted earlier that Gallup may show gains for McCain:

538 said:
Gallup, Hotline, et. al. may well turn turn out to show McCain gains, so we'll see how these numbers look in a few hours. It should be a fun day for poll-watchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom