• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefit

Originally Posted by Gary Whitta:
LOL, CNN just called McCain a "high-functioning moron".

Actually he called Bush a "high-functioning moron". Refering to how he has zero control of the current crisis, the party is revolting, and McCain is trying to wedge himself in as the new "decider".

Sharp

Ether_Snake said:
McCain will get a boost because people will be happy to see Wallstreet being hurt, it's an "Us VS Them" thing now, and McCain at the helm of the "Us".

You guys are fools to think that Americans will be angry that the bailout didn't pass.
You do realize that the "them" here includes a lot of people who would ordinarily be in the "us" column, right? Unless you're referring here to people without mortgages, bank accounts, credit cards or stocks.

Ether_Snake said:
McCain will get a boost because people will be happy to see Wallstreet being hurt, it's an "Us VS Them" thing now, and McCain at the helm of the "Us".

You guys are fools to think that Americans will be angry that the bailout didn't pass.

Plus, Nikkei is down by peanuts right now.

You are insane.

Xisiqomelir

sp0rsk said:
Is anyone keeping a running tally of how many times that god damn fiscal conservative comic has been posted?

fiscalconservative.jpg is about 1.5x more posted than obamabet.jpg, from my rough estimations.

TheKingsCrown said:
...The average American doesn't even know what the fuck the bill is bailing out. ...

That's the point though.

The average American knows this:

Wall Street greed... reckless risk... $700 billion... $1 trillion... Give full power to the Fed... may or may not work... no time to think... do it now, now, now!!! ... don't review what we do with the money...

Ultimately, this is an "us" versus "them" scenario. Taxpayers versus Wall Street. I also think the majority of Americans on both sides of the partisan divide would like to spend some of the treasury $$$ on issues they find deeply important to them, and have up until now had to fight tooth and nail to get the priority and funding.

And now, because a bunch of reckless thieves need to secure their failed gambles, the taxpayers get to foot the bill with a magical $700 billion dollars we happened to have hidden away.

In this kind of climate, the American public wants a "fair deal", not something rammed down our collective throats.

Deus Ex Machina said:
"As news of the bank's deteriorating condition spread, nervous Washington Mutual depositors withdrew $16.5 billion of their money in the last 10 days, prompting the seizure by regulators."

http://mobile.latimes.com/news.jsp?key=182546&rc=bus

260xStory.jpg

The end of the world.

Barrett2

Ether_Snake said:

Plus, Nikkei is down by peanuts right now.

Actually, I think you are sadly correct. I think most Americans are probably against the bailout, or at least suspicious of it.

My point is mainly that Americans are too stupid to even know what is going on. We are entering uncharted waters, but on the nightly news they had a fucking three minute segment again trying to explain what a sub-prime mortgage was, and what a securitized mortgage was. The reality is, people are just unaware of what is going on.... my main argument is that in a month when the real economy starts falling apart, Americans will freak out.. who that breaks in favor of, im' not sure..

But I also wouldn't read too much into the Nikkei. Right now we are still dealing with the credit markets failing. The trickle down impact of this is still a few weeks away. We probably won't see the real bad shit begin for another few weeks, IMO.

Right now, credit is drying up. In a few weeks, layoffs and liquidity shortfalls will trickle down to consumers, they will then consume less, which will lead to lower earnings, which will lead to missed quarters, which will lead to stock price collapse, which will lead to more layoffs, etc..

Right now we are only in the top of the 1st inning of the financial meltdown. The shit hasn't even gotten 'real' yet.

gkrykewy said:
You are out-doing even your own storied history, you lunatic. Good eye on the nikkei though :D

He's got a point, though. Mainstream Americans are absolutely taking this "Us vs. Them" attitude. But it's fucking blind and they're not going to "get it" until they stop getting paychecks or their credit card accounts are frozen.

It's a fucking scary situation if we can't get something passed.

Diablos

PD: I edited my last post for clarification, please see that before replying

Polls being tied technically have nothing to do with it, but it all ties into the potential media narrative and how people will gobble it up. It goes hand in hand with the image of the maverick saving the day.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
WHAT THE FUCK IS PALIN SAYING?!!?!

Gaf didn't tell me about her words on Israel and Iran with Katie Curic.

Shirokun

mckmas8808 said:

:lol

This lady can't do shit without a teleprompter. She is toast when she faces Biden!

Barrett2

Door2Dawn said:
Enough with the palin bullshit,we get it,shes an idiot.

This. To the people still laughing at Palin at this point, you might want to let it go, at this point I would be worried about whether there will be rioting in the streets in the next three months.

Arde5643

CharlieDigital said:
Obama needs to hammer this point home in ads like, tomorrow.
Nope, Obama needs to do a press conference denouncing McCain's action and explaining (in layman's term and analogies) to the American people the severity and need for this "bailout" plan for their day to day lives.

lawblob said:
This. To the people still laughing at Palin at this point, you might want to let it go, at this point I would be worried about whether there will be rioting in the streets in the next three months.

And to think, all this time I've been procrastinating on getting my firearm license, just when I might actually need it :lol

I really hope they get something done.

Arde5643 said:
Nope, Obama needs to do a press conference denouncing McCain's action and explaining (in layman's term and analogies) to the American people the severity and need for this "bailout" plan for their day to day lives.

He's got the debate platform for that tomorrow night with anywhere from 50-100 million people watching. Even better for him if McCain doesn't show up. Explaining it to the press is not quite like getting prime time coverage in like, a third of the households in the US.

Arde5643 said:

Explaining what it means won't matter.

We need a different solution.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Don't mix how I think average "What's a recession?" American will be happy to hear that McCain "stopped" the bailout plan, even if it meant that wallstreet would head lower tomorrow (it won't die, it's not like the plan is off the table, it will just come later), with my position towards the bailout.

Markets might be down tomorrow, big deal, unless some big bankruptcy happens tomorrow or some such, it may end lower but don't forget the bailout is going to pass eventually, they are just arguing over what is in it.

So in the end tomorrow it's "McCain stopped the bailout" that goes into the "What's a recession?" American's mind.

tak

lawblob said:
American's are much to lazy to riot in today's world, or protest for that matter.

Diablos said:
PD: I edited my last post for clarification, please see that before replying

Polls being tied technically have nothing to do with it, but it all ties into the potential media narrative and how people will gobble it up. It goes hand in hand with the image of the maverick saving the day.

I think McCain's numbers are going to tank. And by "tank" I mean Obama having a +5 lead or so going into Monday. I'll put my faith in the American people this one time and say they'll see through this, avoid the Us vs Them bullshit. When they see the markets crash, and hear what McCain did today - I just can't believe this will work for McCain

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Karma Kramer said:
For some reason I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a very bad day for Obama fans.
It fucking will be. I have no god damned clue how, but I just know tomorrow is going to be fuck-awful for Obama supporters.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but CNN just said that 10% of WaMu's banks will close.

Stooge does this bother you?

mj1108

Door2Dawn said:
Enough with the palin bullshit,we get it,shes an idiot.

It's like a bad car accident. You know you shouldn't stand there and watch it, but you know you just gotta....especially when everyone says "Did you see that?" or "Oh my god!"

gkryhewy

RubxQub said:
It fucking will be. I have no god damned clue how, but I just know tomorrow is going to be fuck-awful for Obama supporters.

Now you're just being paranoid. Have faith in your candidate - he is legit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
RubxQub said:

If this happened 3 weeks ago, I would say that.

But the Media is no longer McCain's base, he burned that bridge.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
adg1034 said:
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT GET HER OUT OF HERE

Seriously, I have no idea how anyone in our 6th Congressional District was stupid enough to elect her over Patty Wetterling. That's Patty Wetterling, as in the mother of Jacob Wetterling.

I hate my state, sometimes.
Man, I really feel for you. The 6th district is near the top of my Democratic takeover wishlist but I'm very pessimistic about it

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
mckmas8808 said:

What what? I want to hear that!

Arde5643

NullPointer said:
Explaining what it means won't matter.

We need a different solution.
A lot of Americans don't understand why this "bailout" plan is important for them - right now they're still thinking it's only to bail out executives in Wallstreet.

They need to be informed that the consequence of doing nothing about this crisis will not only cause these corrupt executives to go down, but also to honest and hardworking small businesses and families that are trying to get a loan from banks for anything from payroll to mortgage payment.

If until now the MSM still doesn't explain what the bailout truly means to the whole American economy, then it's up to Obama camp to get them to understand why it is necessary.

Barrett2

CharlieDigital said:
And to think, all this time I've been procrastinating on getting my firearm license, just when I might actually need it :lol

Sadly, the next few months could turn into every midwestern Fundie wackjobs ultimate wet dream. All those years of stockpiling guns, food and gold coins aren't looking like such a bad idea after all! :lol

RubxQub

gkrykewy said:
Now you're just being paranoid. Have faith in your candidate - he is legit.
All the faith in the world in Obama. No faith at all in Americans.

Prove me wrong America.

On the plus side, this whole thing is pretty good ammo for my "McCain is a lying d-bag and you shouldn't even think of voting for him" argument for the traditionally GOP-leaning friends and family...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DenogginizerOS said:
Most Americans don't want this bailout. Bush proposed it. Dems have tried to push it through. And the Maverick comes on the scene and he and House Repubs save the day. Christ.
Yep. :(

Finagled.

RubxQub

PhoenixDark said:
I think people will do the right thing and not fall for this

i really do
I want you to be right. I really do.

...but we shall see.

Tamanon

Banned
"Depending on the size of McCain's balls, the first debate"