• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
From Drudge (the juxtaposition is great):

r3338871921.jpg

Treasury Secretary down on one knee before Pelosi...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
tak said:
The sad part about this whole thing is McCain is going to be asked why he didn't want to show up to the debate and he is going to have a response the majority of American's will think is good (I felt our country is more important then politics).

No. He is finished now.

Sharp

Ether_Snake said:
U.S. congressional negotiations on a proposed $700 billion financial industry bailout will enter a ninth day on Friday, with no sign that balking Republicans in the House of Representatives will participate.

This is what they want. To be seen as those who reject the bailout. And look at this snipet:

Paulson VS House Republican Plan.

Hello? Do you guys still think this won't go in McCain's favor? There are no indications of any "deregulation + taxcuts for companies" in there. All the info we have is Paulson doesn't want the House Republican version.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2522338220080926?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0
Unless you don't think the bill is going to be passed at all, the best case scenario for McCain is that this buys him some time--maybe a week, tops--so why would he go for this move with the election still relatively far away? It doesn't seem like such a brilliant stroke regardless of what the people want in this case. If the democrats hold out for too long and the economy crashes before the bill is passed, it will look even worse for McCain, since it will look like he shattered the preexisting bipartisan agreement that could have helped pass it long before.

Tamanon

Banned
tak said:
The sad part about this whole thing is McCain is going to be asked why he didn't want to show up to the debate and he is going to have a response the majority of American's will think is good (I felt our country is more important then politics).

Nah, not really, he got to Washington maybe an hour or two before Obama. No work is going to be done at 9 PM on a Friday night, even for an "economic crisis"

n1n9tean said:
I just watched the Palin interview with Couric.

I'm literally at a loss for words.

All I can really say is that I watched it.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Watching the other parts now... oh man, she has so much difficulty stringing two sentences together.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
...well there you have it.

"I can certainly handle more than one grill!"

-John McCain on Rachel Ray

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sharp said:
Unless you don't think the bill is going to be passed at all, the best case scenario for McCain is that this buys him some time--maybe a week, tops--so why would he go for this move with the election still relatively far away? It doesn't seem like such a brilliant stroke regardless of what the people want in this case.

Pelosi basically told Paulson it was up to him to accept or reject the House Republican version.

And why do this now? Because he just fell in the polls and Palin is a screw up.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Yes the Republicans are right... companies should pay all the spare money that's weighing them down into an insurance policy.

Then the can lend each other all the sp... mon... oh wait :(...

BTW: Its great to see The GOP embracing their new role as owners of AIG drumming up more business for the good old USSA.

He may be a nutcase, but I kinda dig Michael Savage's proposal that all the Wall Street CEOs asking for help should be compelled to put up all their personal assets as collateral against the $700bn loan.

Sharp

Ether_Snake said:
Pelosi basically told Paulson it was up to him to accept or reject the House Republican version.

And why do this now? Because he just fell in the polls and Palin is a screw up.
Right. What I meant was that long-term I don't see how this helps him. Palin had potential, but this really doesn't, since in the end the bill will pass anyway (with bipartisan approval, to boot) or it won't, the economy will crash pretty hard (at least in the short term) and people will blame McCain for postponing it.
a Master Ninja said:
NPDs for the rest of the year are going to be abysmal!
Gaming is recession-proof. Though come to think of it it may not be Depression-proof.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gary Whitta said:
He may be a nutcase, but I kinda dig Michael Savage's proposal that all the Wall Street CEOs asking for help should be compelled to put up all their personal assets as collateral against the $700bn loan.

They would quit.

Tamanon

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Yah, they'd just quit. Never underestimate personal greed.

Ether_Snake said:
They would quit.

And why is that a problem? They've proven themselves to be completely incompetent and untrustworthy. You could take random inmates from any prison in the country, give them executive power over these companies, and they wouldn't screw things up as badly as the current finance crew has. They are utterly worthless people.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gary Whitta said:
I think Savage's contingency here was to throw them all in jail. Sometimes you've just gotta love that crazy bastard.

Then people would say if CEOs are forced to work to get a positive return they'll cook the books, lowering market confidence.

There's a reason Communists don't make good Capitalists.

PhoenixDark said:
I refuse to believe that McCain won't be at the debate

Really?

At this point I'd say the plan is to stonewall until Obama gets in his plane and then magically come up with a compromise and talk about how Obama put politics over a solution for the American people.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
chaostrophy said:
And why is that a problem? They've proven themselves to be completely incompetent and untrustworthy. You could take random inmates from any prison in the country, give them executive power over these companies, and they wouldn't screw things up as badly as the current finance crew has. They are utterly worthless people.

Because by quitting they would keep their money and not give a fuck about the company failing, so the plan to force them to put their salary/savings as collateral wouldn't apply to someone who's no longer CEO!

I don't know if i believe that an agreement was about tp be made but mccain interjected his fat face and everything went to shit. is it confirmed that's how it went down? I'd totally believe it at this point, but just sayin

Xavien

HamPster PamPster said:
Remember the Should everyone in the world vote in US election thread

So... how much is the current situation effecting the rest of the world

Just asking :lol

In the UK, we'll have a mild recession from this, luckily our biggest banks (HSBC, Barclays and LLoyds TSB) didn't get into this nasty subprime business. The biggest thing that happened was the government bailout of Northern Rock (not really caused by this) and a possible £75 Billion fund to encourage our banks to lend to each other. FTSE 100/250 is affected, but that's to be expected but our banking system is largely stable in comparison imho (with only HBOS going down, but it was snapped up by Lloyds TSB to form a bank that owned 30% of the countries mortgages).

Cheebs

Am I the only one starting to oddly like Bush more and more this week?

Bush's unusually calm demeanor and willingness to work with Democrats compared to John McCain's weird erratic stunts this week has left a very clear comparison of the two in my mind.

And the one on top is one 4 years ago I could never imagine myself saying.

Bush without a political future and a opposition congress is a far more likeable dude than he used to be.

Ether_Snake said:
Then people would say if CEOs are forced to work to get a positive return they'll cook the books, lowering market confidence.

Wait, are you saying they haven't been cooking the books all along with these CDOs and what not? :lol

I mean, that's half the problem now, trying to figure out just exactly how much these securities are worth.

Askani

I've been out for the last 6 hours. Commute, made dinner and then watched Smokin' Aces which...that story...characters...it's just...no, fuck that movie. I don't have anything good to say about it.

Anyway, did we ever get official confirmation of McCain showing or not showing tomorrow? I don't have the energy to wade through news sites tonight.

Sharp

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Really?

At this point I'd say the plan is to stonewall until Obama gets in his plane and then magically come up with a compromise and talk about how Obama put politics over a solution for the American people.
You can't have that and McCain vs. Bailout. The two are necessarily distinct, and while I may again be overestimating the average American I don't think they are going to swallow the two in succession one day apart.

pxleyes

Banned
Cheebs said:
Am I the only one starting to oddly like Bush more and more this week?

Bush's unusually calm demeanor and willingness to work with Democrats compared to John McCain's weird erratic stunts this week has left a very clear comparison of the two in my mind.

And the one on top is one 4 years ago I could never imagine myself saying.
It is because Bush is predictable. He may fuck up a lot, but you know when he is going to fuck up and he never disappoints. McCain is just all over the map and it does a number on your heart burn.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW I am pretty sure that if the bailout is postponed it's going to be interest rates cutting time again.

It's no wonder Pelosi is ready to let any bill pass now, she doesn't want to be the one left with the hot potato. The House Republicans proposed something they KNEW Paulson would refuse, and hence they knew he would come to Pelosi to get the bill through. She's not dumb, she won't let it pass unless the House Republicans are in as well. But that means letting them pass whatever they want.

Ether_Snake said:
BTW I am pretty sure that if the bailout is postponed it's going to be interest rates cutting time again.

It's no wonder Pelosi is ready to let any bill pass now, she doesn't want to be the one left with the hot potato. The House Republicans proposed something they KNEW Paulson would refuse, and hence they knew he would come to Pelosi to get the bill through. She's not dumb, she won't let it pass unless the House Republicans are in as well. But that means letting them pass whatever they want.

fuck this i'm going to bed

Ether_Snake said:
Because by quitting they would keep their money and not give a fuck about the company failing, so the plan to force them to put their salary/savings as collateral wouldn't apply to someone who's no longer CEO!

If it was up to me keeping their assets by quitting would not be an option. The bailout was necessary on their watch, so they lose everything, including their authority.

Diablos

pxleyes said:
It is because Bush is predictable. He may fuck up a lot, but you know when he is going to fuck up and he never disappoints. McCain is just all over the map and it does a number on your heart burn.
It's like what he said in 2004... you may not agree with his (idiotic) positions but at least you know where he stands.

How comforting.

"You may not like the fact that I'm going to fuck you in the ass, but god dammit, at least you KNOW I'm going to fuck you in the ass. This McCain guy? He might say he's going to fuck you in the ass, but make you fuck HIM in the ass instead! Holy shit!"

Cheebs

Diablos said:
It's like what he said in 2004... you may not agree with his (idiotic) positions but at least you know where he stands.
In some sort of odd way it has made him more appealing to McCain in my eyes.

How did it happen that the first term senator in this race is the calm cool collected guy and the 26 year long senator is the one all over the map. Hell we don't even know if he'll show up to a debate that is in less than 24 hours! That is unheard of. Bush was so much...easier.

I know Obama does these Bush-McCain ads but really, McCain reminds me more of Nixon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom