• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
syllogism said:
Not sure if Ed Schultz has any credibility, but

Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people
are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held
a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless."

I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable. If a candidate nominated by his/her party cannot participate in a debate with his/her opponent, be it for medical reasons or otherwise, then he/she is unfit for the office he/she is running.

AniHawk

StoOgE said:
Ann Selzer has this thing, right now, as a gigantic Obama landslide. basically picking up all of the swing states, including outliers like ND, IN, etc.

She may not be right, but she is probably the best pollster out there.

I'd say 387-151 is the absolute maximum for Obama, picking up ND, WV, and the one district in Nebraska where Omaha is (really, really, really doubt it), which would be in addition to the 'best possible scenario' map. This is if things go crazy and McCain like, I dunno, destroys the economy and his running mate winds up being totally unprepared for anything. Something like that.

AniHawk

Cheebs said:
R2K is the same as yesterday. +5
Dailykos was +6 yesterday

Good to know that the west and midwest favor Obama by 10 points though. It's really the South that pulls in McCain's favor so hard.

Also on favorability:
McCain: -2
Obama: +24
Palin: -6
Biden: +16

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
AniHawk said:
This is if things go crazy and McCain like, I dunno, destroys the economy and his running mate winds up being totally unprepared for anything. Something like that.

According to gaf, these have already taken place.

Cheebs

AniHawk said:
Dailykos was +6 yesterday

Good to know that the west and midwest favor Obama by 10 points though. It's really the South that pulls in McCain's favor so hard.
I wouldn't read to much into those crosstabs. The midwest contains Ill. and Iowa where Obama's lead is off the charts compared to Kerry/Gore in that state. It really doesn't say much about where he is in Ohio...etc

Kildace

Snaku said:
I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable. If a candidate nominated by his/her party cannot participate in a debate with his/her opponent, be it for medical reasons or otherwise, then he/she is unfit for the office he/she is running.

Don't worry, if this happened the media would litteraly murder her given the bad blood between them and the McCain campaign. No debate would be worse than a horrible debate for them.

Haunted

So the crisis basically sank McCain's strategy to avoid talking about the issues and make this a personality race?

As shitty as it is that something of this magnitude needed to happen before the average joe realised what's at stake here, seeing those polls I'm feeling much more relieved that people are going to vote for the right man to handle this in November.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I say Obama make another tax bracket for say, people making over 2mil or more and tax them even more. In the late 50's the richest were taxed up to 90% and things were good, not at all that I think they should be taxed THAT much.

GhaleonEB

VanMardigan said:
I'm not seeing the venom towards McCain on the mainstream sites I look at. What's the deal with this thread? The most I've read is that SOME are blaming him for stalling the deal. Are we running with that or is there something more concrete?

I don't think he personally stalled it, but man, I can't help but his "supsension ploy" injected presidential politics into the issue.

Both campaigns should have just said, "We'll stay out till a vote." Trying to spin the negotiations into, "How can we make our guy look better" is just about the worst thing possible.

Timedog said:
I say Obama make another tax bracket for say, people making over 2mil or more and tax them even more. In the late 50's the richest were taxed up to 90% and things were good, not at all that I think they should be taxed THAT much.

Reminds me of Clinton's tax increase package back in 93:

Steve Forbes-"BU, BU, BUT YOU'RE GOING TO KILL JOBS!"

Newt Gingrich-"BU, BU, BUT THE ECONOMY IS GOING TO FALL!"

:lol :lol

AniHawk

Haunted said:
So the crisis basically sank McCain's strategy to avoid talking about the issues and make this a personality race?

No, they're still trying to make this a personality race, and that's why McCain "suspended his campaign" to go fuck up the talks in congress. Because they would greet him as a liberator.

Crisco

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
what did bush say? i missed it.

"uh, things are fucked up, we're trying real hard, peace"

aa01b783eaa2d549d3b425edfccc8b0c.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
electricpirate said:
I don't think he personally stalled it, but man, I can't help but his "supsension ploy" injected presidential politics into the issue.

Both campaigns should have just said, "We'll stay out till a vote." Trying to spin the negotiations into, "How can we make our guy look better" is just about the worst thing possible.

While I agree, I'll have to blame Reid and the Democrats for basically calling McCain out and asking him to get involved. I guess they expected him to demur, but if you're calling the devil, don't be surprised if he shows up.

AniHawk said:
No, they're still trying to make this a personality race, and that's why McCain "suspended his campaign" to go fuck up the talks in congress. Because they would greet him as a liberator.
If McCain is fucking up talks, then they deserved to be so. I trust his financial acumen and ability to put his country before his own ambitions.

Rock on, Johnny.

VanMardigan said:
While I agree, I'll have to blame Reid and the Democrats for basically calling McCain out and asking him to get involved. I guess they expected him to demur, but if you're calling the devil, don't be surprised if he shows up.

when did dems ask McCain to get involved? I thought reid was saying "stay away."

I mean, once dems got there, they turned just as stupid as the republicans, that's a given.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
electricpirate said:
when did dems ask McCain to get involved? I thought reid was saying "stay away."

Well you missed it. By the time Reid did the "stay away" statement, it was because McCain had already suspended his campaign and announced he was headed to DC. Rewind to a day before that and the previous week and see what Reid and other Dems were saying.

Cheebs

Remember when lipstick on a pig and "IS HILLARY DOING ENOUGH?" and "obama cant close the deal with white blue collar racists!" were the big stories? How I miss those days.

Cloudy

Banned
The president and the media have done a poor job explaining this "bailout" till recently. That's the real reason why there's so much backlash from the constituencies..

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Cloudy said:
The president and the media have done a poor job explaining this "bailout" till recently. That's the real reason why there's so much backlash from the constituencies..

Probably thought it would get wrapped up by now, they didn't want to have to lay the blame at the feet of McCain and the House GOP

AniHawk

DeaconKnowledge said:
If what has happened in the past few days doesn't prove that McCain will be another Bush then I don't know what will.

I'm confident in McCain's abilities to fuck up in very different ways, to plunge this country further into darkness. We'd be looking back on the Bush years as the good ol days.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cloudy said:

It's because the details were sketchy. Heck, even now, with both sides working feverishly on the details, there's a lot of unanswered questions. Even if you explained to the people what it was at the beginning (a 700b blank check to Wall Street), you weren't going to get the constituencies to bite. So they had to keep it hazy and try to push it through congress as quickly as possible.

Barrett2

Cloudy said:

Think about it this way, there are about 300 million people in America, about 200 million (?) of them are adults who are working & participating in society.

Each night, only about 30 million people combined max actually watch all of the basic network and cable news shows combined. That means only 1/6 of the American people are even paying attention, let alone understanding what the fuck is going on. There are countless Americans who are complete fuckwits who still have no idea about any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom