• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
kkaabboomm said:
time for kkaabbboomm to rant.

it is 8:30am eastern. 8 fucking 30 in the morning, on september 26th

the shit hit the fan on september 14th when no one wanted to buy lehman brothers and merrill lynch sold itself to bank of america to stave off complete fuckness. everyone wakes up on 9/15 and the market starts to die. people start to realize the liquidity market is getting absolutely fucked. fucked. not partially fucked, but absolutely fucked. bear already got bought by JPMC, people were talking about how wamu and AIG were getting ready to go, freddie and fannie already went, and, well, shit was hitting the fan.

mccain, in his fucking infinite wisdom, decides to tell the nation the foundations of the economy are strong. no. no they werent. not that morning, not the day before. what the market was letting people know, as mister asshat was being stupid, was that the foundations were NOT strong. oh, but he meant people and their work ethic. good for them. they can want to work all they want, but if money is not being lent, then fuck us all.

night of 9/15, JPMC has to lend lehman bro's 80 or so billion. the fed loans them some money to help cover, because lehman fucking died and pieces were being sold to barclays, the good capitalists they are, for fuck cheaper than barclays wouldve paid on sunday. tuesday, AIG fucking dies. AI fucking G. not just, like, oh no, help me obi wan kenobi you're my only hope, but omfg luke just blew up the death star, sir, shit. AIG. the US government had to seize AIG basically. no one else would, they were over leveraged, one part of their company was royally fucking every other good piece there was.

well fuck us. paulson and co go to capital hill that thursday, and drums it into those congresscritters heads just what is up. congresscritters are that, congresscritters. they arent financial bankers/econ majors/etc. yes, they run the banking committee/etc. but they have advisors, who apparently couldn't let anyone know wtf was up, so other people had to.

shit got real. why? BECAUSE THE LIQUIDITY MARKETS WERE COLLAPSING, and when no one will lend money in the large firms, this is called BAD.

example: just yesterday, Bank of America, BANK OF AMERICA, decided it wouldn't lend any fucking money to MCDONALDS. the house of Ronald and all that jazz.

does that make sense to people now? do they understand just what the problem is? when BANK OF AMERICA WILL NOT LEND MONEY TO MCDONALDS, things are bad. franchise owners cant borrow to buy that new coffee machine to compete against starbucks, new ones won't open, etc, etc.

the US economy is based on people being able to have access to money, short and long term. when no one will lend you money, it doesnt just hurt the financial sector and those who were fuckups. it hurts many other pieces as well that, on first glance, have nothing to do with anything.

why post in poligaf this rant. one word. johnfuckingmccain. he's a fucking asshole. not an asshole. a FUCKING ASSHOLE. oh, im going to suspend my campaign (and by suspend i mean take down tv ads for a couple days, save a couple million to use later, still do everything else, and not hold a town hall meeting with Palin where people won't ask her a real Q because holy fuck did anyone watch her with gibson or couric), go to washington and break this deadlock on the deal.

fuck you john mccain. fuck you. wednesday, a deal was being worked on hardcore. hard fucking core. people were negotiating, etc. principle ideas were being reached. that core group of dipshit R's in the house who want to deregulate more and whatnot, yeah, they were told by paulson, WH, dems, everyone, that they were stupid and shit was hitting the fan. in honesty, when the leadership was all announcing a deal yesterday midday, the house R's probably would've come along.

but no. nooooooo. john fucking mccain came to town, and they got a cause. we can help him out. he'll fight for us. he wants our plan, not theirs. so after mccain said jack shit at the white house besides cursorily bringing up their plan, shit hit the fan. the absolute fan.

the deal fucking fell apart. last night, the house R's walked the fuck out of talks.

thanks john mccain. thank you for being an asshole. theres a reason you should not have come back, because presidential politics bring fierce party loyalty/etc to things. which, omg, who would've guessed, IS WHAT HAPPENED.

something has to happen. the ONLY REASON the market has been doing "ok" this week is they knew a 'bailout' was coming. sad but true. the market, right now, is fucked. not a bit, but royally. jack welsh/walsh (spelling?) former lead of GE, says no matter what a recession. whatever, his opinion.

but when BANK OF AMERICA is refusing to lend any money to MCDONALDS, maybe there actually is a problem, and if it gets worse liquidity markets can very easily freeze and many banks/etc can and will fail.

i don't know how else to try and explain this besides the mcdonald's example. i really dont.

omg, kkaabboomm is overreacting. its not mccains fault the house R's are balking. yes. yes it is. they werent, they were grudgingly going along, he shows up, and boom, wtf, they walk out all hardline. let me say again - leadership from both parties announced a deal in principle. you dont do this unless you think you've got the votes at the time, even grudgingly.

mccain fucked shit up. shit is hitting the fan. this isn't just about bailing out wall street firms, it really is about rescuing the us economy from their fuckups.

so fuck you john mccain. fuck. you. right now, at 8:50am eastern on 9/26, i say fuck you. go back to your town hall meetings, or hell, fucking SAY WHAT YOUD LIKE ABOUT THE PLAN, seeing as you havent told anyone in congress what you'd like in it. dont do this shit. not now.

fuck you mccain. at this point, i cannot help but completely agree with obama position of 'lets not fuck shit up by going there'. as such, he will now get my vote, regardless of if mccain 'magically saves the deal today in time for the debate!' or whatnot. no. fuck him. fuck him. shit wouldve been mad smooth today had he not been a complete asshat.

fuck. john. mccain.

who knows, maybe i'll soften my stance later today. or tomorrow. but right now, i am mad. this shit better not get fucked up. the markets are currently inflated on the bailout plan alone. maybe that sucks, as a catch-22, and we'll never know what else could be done. at this exact, current point in time, oh the fuck well. personally, i will not be a fan of liquidity markets freezing and no one willing to lend anyone money, and the failures that naturally flow from such an event. and, since john mccain has upped that possibility much more than it needs to be, fuck him.

gobama.

:Bow: :Bow: :Bow:

Its like everything wanted to say last night, but much more coherent and with slightly less obscenity.

StoOgE said:
Also, if you guys didnt notice...

I CALLED IT.

Everyone is lighting McCain/the house republicans up this morning.

The backfire, she is beginning.

Is McCain's campaign over? Maybe his next stunt will be to drop out of the race.

StoOgE

syllogism said:
Not sure if Ed Schultz has any credibility, but

Well, considering what her interviews have looked like, are we shocked?

Its like McCain was betting the house on the 21 table and kept doubling down.

Guess what bitch, the house always wins.

Every stupid gamble he has taken are all coming to bite him at the exact same time. Palin meltdown, suspend your campaign stunt, show up for your little photo op in washington, cancel letterman.

AniHawk

PLEASE LET THE REPUBLICAN CAMPAIGN FOR PRESIDENT BE DESTROYED BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK

THERE IS TOO MUCH REAL SHIT GOING ON FOR THESE ASSHATS TO PLAY COWBOYS.

I MEAN GOD DAMN.

Also, kkaabboomm? Fucking spot-on.

StoOgE said:
I just want to say this again now that I have had like 4 shots and beer (thanks ex girlfriend who knew I would be flipping my shit over this!)

Dear John McCain:

1) Go fuck yourself with your stubby little arms.
2) How about you go be a maverick and actually take a fucking positon on this instead of being a giant vag.
3) Tell the house republicans that there stupid fucking idea is not going to hold muster.
4) You just put the nations largest savings and loan out of business by killing this bill for another day. Congrats. How about you apologize to all of my old coworkers who are going to be looking for a job you selfish asshole. I know people who are now out of work and will have a hard time finding a job just so you can be a Maverick. Please, See number 1 again.
5) You may not notice is right now, but PoliGAF just gave you a 2000 dollar fuck you tonight, and my guess is people all over the country are doing the same thing.

Look, right now I am 100% certain McCain has destroyed his presidential asperations. Today ruined it. Its done. He will not and can not recover from this. Ever single pundit and ever single economist will come out and blame him for this, and rightfully so.

My concern right now is our economy is completely fucked for the next few years and Obama is going to be in a hard position to correct it as president.

Dude, that isn't right. He can hardly lift his arms due to being tortured.

AniHawk

Jason's Ultimatum said:

Yeah that ain't cool. John McCain is human trash, but it's not his fault he can't lift his arms that far.

Blackhead

Redarse
JayDubya said:
Perfectly acceptable to "player hate" for publishing deceit and libel.
Links please (specifically related to The Shock Doctrine). I've read the Cato one already and it was bullshit so any other one would be nice.

She is neither a economist nor a historian, yet that shock doctrine book is popular for some reason.

She's got the research and facts to back up her arguments. History isn't rocket science. But fine then go look at Karl Polanyi's The Great Transformation. He was an economist and historian.

I don't understand progressives. They espouse about their alleged intelligence, yet will listen and follow any idiot. Case in point John Kerry.

Yet you probably live in the most libertarian country in the world.:lol
:lol

StoOgE

Jason's Ultimatum said:

I wasnt talking about him not being able to lift them. I was calling them stubby, which means "short", because McCain is a vertically challenged guy, Im pretty sure that isnt a result of being a POW....

and umm, I was pissed?

I know about 50 people who are highly highly likely to not have a job in 2 weeks because of this stunt yesterday. WaMu is out of business because the FDIC knew they were going to go under because this deal was blown up at the 11th hour. The house republicans might have been the ones to start the fire, but McCain handed them the lighter.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
kkaabboomm said:
Huge Rant

66w5n6.gif

StoOgE said:
I wasnt talking about him not being able to lift them. I was calling them stubby, which means "short", because McCain is a vertically challenged guy, Im pretty sure that isnt a result of being a POW....

and umm, I was pissed?

I know about 50 people who are highly highly likely to not have a job in 2 weeks because of this stunt yesterday. WaMu is out of business because the FDIC knew they were going to go under because this deal was blown up at the 11th hour. The house republicans might have been the ones to start the fire, but McCain handed them the lighter.

Okay, gotcha, but the use of the word made it seem like you were making fun of him ability to raise his arms.

Carry on. :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Vestal said:
Someone pushed the panic button at the whitehouse.. Bush to speak 5 mins after the markets open.
...why?! What the fuck for?! Strike more fear into the American public? Urge House Republicans to shut the fuck up and get to the table?

Do this shit behind the scenes...stop shaking everyone up and just get the job fucking done. Fucking hell...

StoOgE

RubxQub said:
...why?! What the fuck for?! Strike more fear into the American public? Urge House Republicans to shut the fuck up and get to the table?

Do this shit behind the scenes...stop shaking everyone up and just get the job fucking done. Fucking hell...

At this point the only way to get this done is to scare the bejeezus out of the American people so that their ire forces the house republicans to pass.

They did it behind closed doors for 7 days and they wont play ball.

AniHawk

Cheebs said:
New Rasmussen:

50-45 Obama.

Obama up 5 in fucking RASMUSSEN!

This election is breaking out.

Closing the lead in Florida to one point, breaking into a 5 point lead in Rasmussen.

I refuse to believe this.

Cheebs

There is no way McCain wont debate now.

Obama is currently steamrolling into a Reagan like landslide. The only way McCain can blunt this is by debating him.

StoOgE

Cheebs said:
There is no way McCain wont debate now.

Obama is currently steamrolling into a Reagan like landslide. The only way McCain can blunt this is by debating him.

I actually think showing up would be worse. Obama is going to be able to absolutely lambast him over this collapse today. Better off not being seen I think.

This thing is so completely over after today its not even funny.

RubxQub said:

The only way for the bailout to happen is for the American people to get scared into supporting it. The only reason House Republicans are resisting it is because they are scared their constituents would be pissed...the solution is for the government spokesman (Pres) to appeal directly to the people and scare the shit out of them.

This happens all the time, since...I think Wilson.

Cheebs

Here is the question. Will Obama win by more or less than Bill Clinton did? Clinton won 370 electoral votes in 1992, 100 more than he needed

gcubed

This can be Bush's legacy in a "what have you done for us lately" sort of way, if his plan, working with the house and senate, gets pushed through and recovers us. McCain seems like he is blocking it... I wonder how pissed Bush is

Cheebs said:
Here is the question. Will Obama win by more or less than Bill Clinton did? Clinton won 370 electoral votes in 1992, 100 more than he needed

I would say less, 370 is a HUGE landslide, i just dont see that much of America switching

but then again, what would that be? All the states he has now plus both FLA and Ohio? Then maybe it isn't AS farfetched

HylianTom

Banned
Cheebs said:

Still kinda skeptical that either one could ever win more than 350EVs.

I'd guess that the days of 45-state landslides are over.

gcubed said:
This can be Bush's legacy in a "what have you done for us lately" sort of way, if his plan, working with the house and senate, gets pushed through and recovers us. McCain seems like he is blocking it... I wonder how pissed Bush is

I never in my life would have thought that JOHN MCCAIN would be fucking up DUBYAs attempt to save the economy of the country and the world.

Cheebs

HylianTom said:
Still kinda skeptical that either one could ever win more than 350EVs.

I'd guess that the days of 45-state landslides are over.
Clinton had it a bit easier. He was able to hold all the democrat base states and the swing states but due to being from Arkansas he was able to sweep the south as well.

Oddly enough he lost Florida though.

AniHawk

Cheebs said:
Of the 'battleground states' I have him winning CO, NM, MI, NM, PA, IA, and NH (273 votes). In the best possible scenario, he gets NV, MO, OH, IN, FL, VA, NC, and MT thanks to Ron Paul

But without MT, that's 375 votes.

Cheebs said:
Eh, I'm still trying to keep in mind there's a possibility of a President McCain coming November. I wouldn't get my hopes up just yeeet.

gcubed said:

Maverick!

If Obama wins the Kerry states in edition to NV, CO, VA, NC, OH, FL, MO, ND, and MO...he would have exactly 370 votes.

(The bolded are the ones he really has a chance in...the others, I'm not so sure.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not seeing the venom towards McCain on the mainstream sites I look at. What's the deal with this thread? The most I've read is that SOME are blaming him for stalling the deal. Are we running with that or is there something more concrete?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ze Markets are opening...brace yourselves for the sinking ship!

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST! WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH BOATS!

Cheebs

Frank the Great said:
If Obama wins the Kerry states in edition to NV, CO, VA, NC, OH, FL, MO, ND, and MO...he would have exactly 370 votes.

(The bolded are the ones he really has a chance in...the others, I'm not so sure.
Why would he win those but not NM and Iowa?

AniHawk

Frank the Great said:

I think he's got a better shot in Ohio than Florida, really. If only because there'll be more disenfranchisement in Florida.

Evlar

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Huh - wonder what about? Why not 5 minutes before the markets open?
They're expecting a giant drop at the bell and they want the President to look like he's responding to it, not causing it.

StoOgE

gcubed said:

I would say less, 370 is a HUGE landslide, i just dont see that much of America switching

but then again, what would that be? All the states he has now plus both FLA and Ohio? Then maybe it isn't AS farfetched

Ann Selzer has this thing, right now, as a gigantic Obama landslide. basically picking up all of the swing states, including outliers like ND, IN, etc.

She may not be right, but she is probably the best pollster out there.

Cloudy

Banned
AniHawk said:
Okay, so +4 and not +5, but still good.

EDIT: Oh. nevermind. +5 is good news.

New data shows McCain’s lead is down to a single percentage point in Ohio and Florida. He leads by eight in West Virginia while Obama continues to hold a modest advantage in Pennsylvania. A Virginia update will be released at noon Eastern today.

Keep digging, McCain :D

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Listening today, it's basically Bush vs McCain. This is about Bush's legacy and trying to leave office doing one thing right. This is playing out crazy as hell. I'm glad my last financial loans have already been cut.

Clipjoint

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Well, that's not 100% true. His inability to lift his arms is from the plane crash, although the torture didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom