• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
soul creator said:
If the question is framed the latter way, I would imagine that most people would be a bit more hesitant to "hate" it. But everyone is still interpreting the "bailout" in the original 3-page Paulson plan sense, which was gotten rid of already. I think.

The Draft of the Dodd/Paulson/Bipartisan proposal: http://www.politico.com/static/PPM41_ayo08b28.html

The GOP alternative: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/images/news/articles/economic-rescue-principles.pdf

Wiki is on top of this shit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_bailout_of_U.S._financial_system_(2008)

PrivateWHudson said:
Historically, they don't vote anyway. Perhaps when no-one can get a loan for college, the cost will come down. Empty rooms aren't doing them any good.

What about payroll? The people want to punish the banks and Wallstreet.

The only team relying on the status quo this time around is the Republican party. The Democrats have shown impressive gains in both registration throughout the entire country.

TomServo

Door2Dawn said:
The popluar opinion doesn't even know what the bail out is for.

So popular opinion (however uninformed) is against something, but causing that something to crater will hurt a politician in popular opinion?

1. Take a position against an unpopular concept
2. ???
3. Loss

Sharp

Anyone who wants the public to support the plan needs to make it seem like it's punishing Wall Street in some way, since that's what everyone wants at this point. Unfortunately, at this point it'll be difficult to dislodge the already-present feeling that it's more of a reward for them, and since to some extent that will be true no matter what I'm not sure that getting the public on the side of such a bill is even going to be possible (well, unless they theoretically wait until the failures start to affect consumers). That's why Congress is going to push ahead with it even though it's unpopular, and that's why we are a republic and not a democracy.

PrivateWHudson said:
Historically, they don't vote anyway. Perhaps when no-one can get a loan for college, the cost will come down. Empty rooms aren't doing them any good.

So they no longer deserve an education? You aren't required to vote. Just pay your taxes and you have EVERY RIGHT to government services and loans supported by the government. As long as that student paid $10.80 for a $9.99 t-shirt, they're covered in my book.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CharlieDigital said:

I like the mortgage insurance approach--it's free market rather than taking money from the pocket of Joe Average to finance some New York banker's Obama campaign contribution. The free-market point just cannot be stressed enough: For example, the insurance could take the form of "trades" where private firms "insure" risks amongst each other so that risk can be spread and allocated to the appropriate private parties willing and able to bear that risk. The two key points: (1) No public money; (2) NO government involvement in the firm of ridiculous regulation a la the Community Reinvestment Act or the Securities Acts that have caused this mess (along with double taxation).

Evlar

Banned
AstroLad said:
I like the mortgage insurance approach--it's free market rather than taking money from the pocket of Joe Average to finance some New York banker's Obama campaign contribution. The free-market point just cannot be stressed enough: For example, the insurance could take the form of "trades" where private firms "insure" risks amongst each other so that risk can be spread and allocated to the appropriate private parties willing and able to bear that risk. The two key points: (1) No public money; (2) NO government involvement in the firm of ridiculous regulation a la the Community Reinvestment Act or the Securities Acts that have caused this mess (along with double taxation).
Sometimes you're good, and sometimes you're godly. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sharp said:
Anyone who wants the public to support the plan needs to make it seem like it's punishing Wall Street in some way, since that's what everyone wants at this point. Unfortunately, at this point it'll be difficult to dislodge the already-present feeling that it's more of a reward for them, and since to some extent that will be true no matter what I'm not sure that getting the public on the side of such a bill is even going to be possible (well, unless they theoretically wait until the failures start to affect consumers). That's why Congress is going to push ahead with it even though it's unpopular, and that's why we are a republic and not a democracy.

TomServo

ronito said:
I just have to ask the simple question. If you didn't get your paycheck because the company you work for couldn't get credit would you be ok with that?

You work for a company that needs credit to make payroll? Holy shit. I've worked for some companies with LOL financials, but even they had significant cash reserves. Credit was for financing long-term capital improvements.

Evlar

Banned
TomServo said:
You work for a company that needs credit to make payroll? Holy shit. I've worked for some companies with LOL financials, but even they had significant cash reserves. Credit was for financing long-term capital improvements.
Can't help but notice you didn't answer the question.

McCain is uncomfortable talking about the economy

McCain says he is suspending his campaign and wants the debates delayed, causes chaos

McCain and Obama go to washington for the bailout talks

Debate will now have a focus on economy and McCain agrees to the debate

1 and 4 don't go together

BenjaminBirdie said:
So they no longer deserve an education? You aren't required to vote. Just pay your taxes and you have EVERY RIGHT to government services and loans supported by the government. As long as that student paid $10.80 for a $9.99 t-shirt, they're covered in my book.

Really, who thinks about that when they hear $700 Billion bailout. You can argue the details, but no-one is going to listen. People want someone to pay. They would rather loose money in a market correction, then loose money bailing out the "too big too fail" crowd.

gkryhewy

TomServo said:

Among service firms (i.e. consulting firms of many varieties, for example), it is common for the firm's incomes to come in large, widely-spaced blocks. For example, the firm's clients might make a lump-sum payment at a project's conclusion.

These firms, which comprise a significant portion of US employment, get short term financing to meet their payrolls in the meantime.

For a Big Expert On The Coming Apocalypse, it sure seems like you should have done a little more reading.

PrivateWHudson said:
Really, who thinks about that when they hear $700 Billion bailout. You can argue the details, but no-one is going to listen. People want someone to pay. They would rather loose money in a market correction, then loose money bailing out the "too big too fail" crowd.

That works until they miss their first paycheck.

WaltJay

artredis1980 said:
McCain is uncomfortable talking about the economy

McCain says he is suspending his campaign and wants the debates delayed, causes chaos

McCain and Obama go to washington for the bailout talks

Debate will now have a focus on economy and McCain agrees to the debate

1 and 4 don't go together

True, but it's better than the alternative, which is Obama gets 90 mins of dedicated airtime with 40 million people.

McCain's latest Hail Mary..sorry, Fail Mary, didn't work. McCain put himself in a tough spot.

TomServo

Evlar said:
You would quit, then? That is your answer?

I wouldn't have accepted a job with them in the first place. That's like buying a ticket on the Titanic after it's hit the iceberg.

Seriously, is this that common? Making payroll with borrowed funds?

EDIT:

gkrykewy said:
Among service firms (i.e. consulting firms of many varieties, for example), it is common for the firm's incomes to come in large, widely-spaced blocks. For example, the firm's clients might make a lump-sum payment at a project's conclusion.

These firms, which comprise a significant portion of US employment, get short term financing to meet their payrolls in the meantime.

Good grief. I've seen small business startups dependent on startup capital to get the ball rolling, but persisting on revolving credit? We're in worse shape than I thought.

TomServo said:
I wouldn't have accepted a job with them in the first place. That's like buying a ticket on the Titanic after it's hit the iceberg.

Yes. Not just payroll, but to purchase inventory and fund day-to-day operations using short term loans.

once again, chill the fuck out, McCain got this shit...even in the future!

26Sep_Friday_WSJ.JPG

could be fake though

Cyan

Banned
TomServo said:

Yep.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
AstroLad said:
For example, the insurance could take the form of "trades" where private firms "insure" risks amongst each other so that risk can be spread and allocated to the appropriate private parties willing and able to bear that risk.
:lol

Genius! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before!

gkrykewy said:

For a Big Expert On The Coming Apocalypse, it sure seems like you should have done a little more reading.

That works until they miss their first paycheck.

Sounds like bad business. Maybe they should have banked those lump-sum payments (at least enough to cover payroll). Fuck Em.

ronito

TomServo said:

Dude, where do you work? Many, MANY companies make payroll on borrowed funds.

Personally I always check to see how much cash my company has on hand to make sure that's why I'm fine with the risk. But it's easy to say that many companies (especially VC companies such as pharamceuticals) make payroll on borrowed funds.

CharlieDigital said:
Yes. Not just payroll, but to purchase inventory and fund day-to-day operations using short term loans.

Really? Don't the vendors just establish a line of credit and set their own terms? I didn't think banks were ever involved in B2B lines of credit.

ronito said:

Personally I always check to see how much cash my company has on hand to make sure that's why I'm fine with the risk. But it's easy to say that many companies (especially VC companies such as pharamceuticals) make payroll on borrowed funds.

Bingo. This is why the bailout needs to happen to stabilize credit flow.

Tamanon

Banned
TomServo said:

It's very common in medical professions or jobs that take a bit of time to get income, via billing or insurance. And EXTREMELY common if working for a non-profit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Told ya McCain would set things up so he would be against the bill and attempt to take angry Americans as support.

He's gonna be all out on how his proposal is good for taxpayers, and Obama's isn't, tonight, forcing Obama to basically either agree or defend Paulson's plan.

And I told you markets wouldn't crash today.

Tamanon

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Told ya McCain would set things up so he would be against the bill and attempt to take angry Americans as support.

He's gonna be all out on how his proposal is good for taxpayers, and Obama's isn't, tonight, forcing Obama to basically either agree or defend Paulson's plan.

What? McCain still hasn't even taken a stance on the bailout. Nobody knows whether or not he supports it, or even if he's read it yet.:lol

Mason

Personally, I think the McCain campaign thought out all the scenarios before deciding to do this 'suspension' thing. I don't have time to list them all out because I have to head to class soon, but as far as just the debate goes:

1) The bailout proposal passes by Friday (a day or so after McCain gets there) and he takes credit for it and heads to the debate as a hero.

2) The bailout proposal doesn't pass by Friday, but around noon, McCain declares enough progress has been made that he will go through with the debate.

Either way, tons of publicity for him and he gets to act like he did something while Barack 'did nothing'. And it's worked. He's been the headline the past 2 days. Luckily his ratings are tanking, but he still got the attention he wanted.

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:

And I told you markets wouldn't crash today.

Obama will be up to the task. Markets are still pricing in a 100% chance of a deal.

And once again, McCain, on Wednesday, said that if there isn't a deal by Friday, there will be financial Armageddon on Monday. He does not speak from a stance of conscientious objector on this.

tanod

when is my burrito
WaltJay said:
True, but it's better than the alternative, which is Obama gets 90 mins of dedicated airtime with 40 million people.

McCain's latest Hail Mary..sorry, Fail Mary, didn't work. McCain put himself in a tough spot.

Myth. The commission said that the townhall that would have supposedly replaced the debate would have been illegal and couldn't happen.

Fatalah

Tamanon said:
What? McCain still hasn't even taken a stance on the bailout. Nobody knows whether or not he supports it, or even if he's read it yet.:lol

From what I understand McCain wants the bailout to be done, but he wants to tack on partisan goals to the bill like deregulation and cutting taxes.

Which is what led to this crisis in the first place..

Jesus, I have a horrible feeling about all of this. These fuckawful iReporters on CNN are saying this bailout plans "means nothing for 'Murca now mah investments MAH INVESTMENTS TAXES UGHH" and McCain's new horrible plan is catering exactly to these morons.

Obama is doomed

TomServo

ronito said:

I'm an engineer in an old-school discipline. I've always worked for companies that produce tangible products first, with service and consulting as gravy.

Like I said earlier, we borrow, but it's for long term capital improvements. Even on long product cycles there are significant cash reserves.

You learn something new every day.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mason said:
Personally, I think the McCain campaign thought out all the scenarios before deciding to do this 'suspension' thing. I don't have time to list them all out because I have to head to class soon, but as far as just the debate goes:

1) The bailout proposal passes by Friday (a day or so after McCain gets there) and he takes credit for it and heads to the debate as a hero.

2) The bailout proposal doesn't pass by Friday, but around noon, McCain declares enough progress has been made that he will go through with the debate.

Either way, tons of publicity for him and he gets to act like he did something while Barack 'did nothing'. And it's worked. He's been the headline the past 2 days. Luckily his ratings are tanking, but he still got the attention he wanted.

--->
McCain had vowed to skip the debate if negotiations were not completed on a $700 billion rescue of the U.S. financial industry but his campaign said in a statement that enough progress had been made to participate in the 9 p.m. EDT (0100 GMT) debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom