• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkitty

I think the storm is hitting my area in a couple of days. We're not getting the brunt of it so hopefully I won't be whisked away to my death, keeping me from voting for my homie Jill.

markatisu

You guys are real cute with the hurricane jokes. It's not going to make people disapprove of Obama, no one is talking about that. But if you don't have power, can't drive, or your voting place doesn't have power, etc., it makes voting extremely difficult. You might be more concerned about being able to get your power back and being able to drive again. Or if your house/apartment complex is in ruins, you might not give a fuck about voting. If people near you are dying or getting injured because of this storm's impact you just might have something else on your mind.

So somehow the rural areas that are also going to get hit and have a harder time recovering are going to deliver in a big way?

You people are fucking nuts, if this storm hits as bad as some of you think NOBODY is going to vote.

I am half surprised FOX News has not begun the "the election will be delayed" paranoia

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's really disturbing what Fox is doing on this Libya story. It's quite clear to me that they are making shit up and hoping other media follows them as usual.

It's a great strategy though. Throw some outrageous shit out there and hope someone stumbles or gives a cautious answer. Then make their answer the story to drum up outrage while disappearing the original baseless accusation.

We'll see if it works in 10 days...

Nobody gives a shit about fake Libya controversy with a hurricane headed towards PA, so probably nothing.

Diablos

how many people died as a result of the 1991 unnamed hurricane, again

Bob left extensive damage throughout New England in its wake, totaling approximately $1.5 billion (1991 USD, $2.56 billion 2012 USD). This made it the second costliest United States hurricane at the time; as of 2010, it ranked twenty-second in the category. In addition, seventeen fatalities were reported in association with Bob. The loss of life and most of the damage occurred as a result of high winds and rough seas. There were six confirmed tornadoes during its passage.
Not a death wave by any means, but it cost the equivalent of $2.56 billion of damage. That translates into lots of folks really having to deal with their quality of life being severely altered by the storm, and it would certainly push their willingness to vote in an election to the backburner.

Puddles

Banned
If PA flips, Obama has to sweep OH, WI, IA, CO, NV, and NH to win. I don't really see that happening.

Obama can still win if PA flips by taking FL, but I see that as even less likely.

This storm might be single-handedly responsible for setting the U.S. healthcare system back 20 years.

markatisu

I don't see this as a laughing matter. Not only could it impact the race in ways no one is expecting, but a lot of people could die or at the very least lose their home and have some tough times ahead.

Try living in the Midwest where this can happen multiple times in under 30 seconds. Here we have entire towns that have been wiped off the map due to a Tornado nobody saw coming.

ido

It's really disturbing what Fox is doing on this Libya story. It's quite clear to me that they are making shit up and hoping other media follows them as usual.

You are correct, sir.

It's so strange hearing the slope-browed halfmen at my work talking about BENGHAZI as if they know anything other than what FOX has told them. I would bet my first born child that none of them can even point at Libya on a map.

Fox News is attempting to make this into the biggest scandal since ever. They are beginning to sound like Truthers to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If PA flips, Obama has to sweep OH, WI, IA, CO, NV, and NH to win. I don't really see that happening.

Obama can still win if PA flips by taking FL, but I see that as even less likely.

This storm might be single-handedly responsible for setting the U.S. healthcare system back 20 years.

What about if CA flips due to all the hippies getting high and forgetting to vote?

Not a death wave by any means, but it cost the equivalent of $2.56 billion of damage. That translates into lots of folks really having to deal with their quality of life being severely altered by the storm, and it would certainly push their willingness to vote in an election to the backburner.

i said UNNAMED, as in the storm most analogous to frankensandy.

you know, the one that barely did $350 million damage in 2011 dollars.

XenodudeX

How so?

Angry Grimace

I come in and see people talking of PA flipping.

What poll has you all losing your minds now?

Extinction Level Event Sandy is going to come in and wipe Philadelphia off of the map yet leave every Romney supporter untouched with unfettered access to the polls.

Jackson50

You guys are real cute with the hurricane jokes. It's not going to make people disapprove of Obama, no one is talking about that. But if you don't have power, can't drive, or your voting place doesn't have power, etc., it makes voting extremely difficult. You might be more concerned about being able to get your power back and being able to drive again. Or if your house/apartment complex is in ruins, you might not give a fuck about voting. If people near you are dying or getting injured because of this storm's impact you just might have something else on your mind.

http://epawablogs.com/epawa-alert-discussion-for-hurricane-sandy-1029-02/

This is nothing to scoff at. Irene was ugly. Eastern PA is what delivers this state for Dems every time. If they get hit by a serious storm I don't think there would be enough votes elsewhere to offset that.

http://i.imgur.com/EXanD.jpg
I didn't realize it was this bad. According to the map, the storm should localize over Democratic strongholds. PA has me very worried.

Puddles

Banned

If PA flips, Romney almost certainly wins. If Romney wins, the PPACA is either repealed or nerfed into irrelevance. If that happens, and if the economy recovers under a Romney presidency, I can't imagine anyone taking another shot at universal healthcare for at least a decade, maybe two.

pigeon

Banned

I've already sold all my Obama shares and went way long on Romney in PA.

HylianTom

Banned
I come in and see people talking of PA flipping.

What poll has you all losing your minds now?

Nothing here. There was a lovely poll out this morning with Obama up 7 in PA, 49-42. PA is going to be fools' gold once again.

The folks freaking-out here are thinking that the GOP's country-fried base is going to magically drive miles to their nearest polling stations after a hurricane in larger numbers than the largely urban Democratic voters who can, on average, walk a few blocks to their nearest polling stations. It's absolutely asinine.

Angry Grimace

I didn't realize it was this bad. According to the map, the storm should localize over Democratic strongholds. PA has me very worried.

What the fuck is this supposed to even mean. The "storm will localize over democratic strongholds?"

Serious Poe's Law right now.

Diablos

Nothing here. There was a lovely poll out this morning with Obama up 7 in PA, 49-42. PA is going to be fools' gold once again.

The folks freaking-out here are thinking that the GOP's country-fried base is going to magically drive miles to their nearest polling stations after a hurricane in larger numbers than the largely urban Democratic voters who can, on average, walk a few blocks to their nearest polling station. It's absolutely asinine.
If Eastern PA has no power and there's tons of rainfall not too many people are going to stand in line to vote. It's hard to vote particularly when there's no power and dangerous weather conditions arise.

at201218_5day.gif

clearly frankensandy is still going to be pouring rain on philly when it's centred in kingston, ontario.

Angry Grimace

If Eastern PA has no power and there's tons of rainfall not too many people are going to stand in line to vote. It's hard to vote particularly when there's no power and dangerous weather conditions arise.

Magic storm that only hits Philadelphia and nothing else amirite

Obama is up by like 7 points in PA get a grip

If PA flips, Romney almost certainly wins. If Romney wins, the PPACA is either repealed or nerfed into irrelevance. If that happens, and if the economy recovers under a Romney presidency, I can't imagine anyone taking another shot at universal healthcare for at least a decade, maybe two.

By then it won't matter. The country would likely implode on healthcare alone. Sad state of affairs.

The folks freaking-out here are thinking that the GOP's country-fried base is going to magically drive miles to their nearest polling stations after a hurricane in larger numbers than the largely urban Democratic voters who can, on average, walk a few blocks to their nearest polling stations. It's absolutely asinine.

PA is going to get called blue 3 seconds after the polls close as usual.

RDreamer

If you don't have power what the fuck else are you gonna do besides sit around bored? May as well go vote.

Also, uh... aren't the dangerous weather conditions not going to be still around on the actual election day?

markatisu

LOL you have to be trolling now, you honestly believe if it ends up being that bad the entire state will continue with voting while the largest population centers are crippled? Not to mention that you would also lose the GOP votes as well because old people are not going to go out in really bad weather.

markatisu

Scientists are projecting right now that the storm is likely to break up into a whole bunch of smaller but more powerful storms, which will localize over urban centers due to the greater heat emissions. Urban areas are generally democratic strongholds.

I am glad that storms created by nature now have political motivations lol

Scientists are projecting right now that the storm is likely to break up into a whole bunch of smaller but more powerful storms, which will localize over urban centers due to the greater heat emissions. Urban areas are generally democratic strongholds.

thought it was pretty obvious but i could see how people could be confused

Amir0x

Banned

lol

this tag team trolling is fucking killing me right now

Angry Grimace

If you don't have power what the fuck else are you gonna do besides sit around bored? May as well go vote.

Also, uh... aren't the dangerous weather conditions not going to be still around on the actual election day?

The storm won't exist by election day. Landfall causes storm systems to dissipate. Diabolos is envisioning a New Orleans type scenario which makes little sense because New Orleans is a city built in a giant ditch.

Pie Lord

Why is everyone freaking out over PA? Even if the state were to flip due to the weather (which seems very unlikely) Obama still has a good chance of winning the electoral college.

Cheebo

Banned
Can I just say as a chicken little who worries that Obama is going to lose....

The idea of Obama losing PA due to a storm is INSANE? Obama is winning PA. End of story.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The hurricane will avoid Western PA and only target the homes of black people

It is like Passover where it Passeth Over Rural Pinnsyltuckyers' houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom