• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
If that is indeed the modified public option, then utter failure on Obama administration's part to convey it's existence.

They did the best they could while combating the bitching from the left, vitriol from the right and criticism from both sides in the media. In the end, they just focused on getting the law passed and having people learn about the benefits then. Unfortunately they didn't anticipate the right would contest the law all the was to the supreme court. And the law is now so politically toxic that Obama doesn't even bring it up directly anymore..

Failure, or clever? It snuck completely under everyone's nose and was passed without note; I can imagine a few democrats who wouldn't vote for something like this. I don't even remember Ezra Klein mentioning this...

Don't think it was clever. They should've headlined it in every townhall before 2010 midterm elections in order to stop the teaparty shellacking.

This is what happens when you have technocrats, professors and intellectuals coming up with a plan. It's failproof, robust and gets the job done. But no one has a clue about how it works except them. ie: take it from us, it works.

Don't think it was clever. They should've headlined it in every townhall before 2010 midterm elections in order to stop the teaparty shellacking.

This is what happens when you have technocrats, professors and intellectuals coming up with a plan. It's failproof, robust and gets the job done. But no one has a clue about how it works except them. ie: take it from us, it works.

Hold on, how exactly would admitting the law (allegedly) had a government health insurance plan option stop the tea party from going crazy? It would have only made them even more upset.

The administration botched the roll out of everything about the law, but that's their fault, not the law or how it was written.

RDreamer

whoa whoa whoa, wtf is this

(more at link)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/health/us-to-sponsor-health-insurance-plans-nationwide.html?_r=1

Is this real life?! Am I overreacting, because I covered ACA a lot and don't remember anything like this being passed

Whoa. That... that sounds awesome. I also love that the Heritage foundation guy says this could become just like the public option liberals wanted. LOL, that makes me so happy if so. Seriously, just reading that and my assessment of the ACA went up quite a bit. Fuck, Obama has to win this.

Hold on, how exactly would admitting the law (allegedly) had a government health insurance plan option stop the tea party from going crazy? It would have only made them even more upset.

The administration botched the roll out of everything about the law, but that's their fault, not the law or how it was written.
It would've energized the liberals and democrats. I'm not saying it would've stopped the teaparty insurrection, but at least we wouldn't have gotten shellacked.

Bowdz

How can I be? ACA continues to impress!

But before I celebrate I'll wait to see what Sarah Kliff thinks of this development. I'd love to see her analysis.

Looks like Pelosi was right. We needed to pass the ACA to see what was in it. So far, I'm loving what I'm seeing.

It would've energized the liberals and democrats. I'm not saying it would've stopped the teaparty insurrection, but at least we wouldn't have gotten shellacked.

Doubtful; let's not forget unemployment was 10%. Democrats were going to get creamed regardless. To make matters worse, it would be covered as a government controlled health insurance plan, something that was simply going to make the tea party even more mad.

pigeon

Banned

It would've done exactly the opposite.

There's a reason Obamacare is designed to do stuff like this subtly. People continue to not understand how big a deal this bill is going to be.

RDreamer

So, how did this escape notice, anyway? I mean the entire health care law has been up and studied by everyone. How did they miss this?

Owzers

Romney has the same speech today that makes me want to Tagg him. " We need big change with big ideas and that's exactly why i'm running. Obama's campaign is getting smaller and smaller, no longer interested in the big changes that we need" - not direct summary but you get the idea, it's the exact phrasing he's been using in all his rallies these last few days, probably when he saw the poll that had even obama supporters saying they wanted a change in his second term if reelected.

He can be that word!

There's a reason Obamacare is designed to do stuff like this subtly. People continue to not understand how big a deal this bill is going to be.

I'm sure that was the idea, but I'm not sure it was a good one. A big chunk of liberal disenchasment was caused by the Administration not getting that part of the bill.

Either way, it would have been a miniscule difference in 2010.

There's a reason Obamacare is designed to do stuff like this subtly. People continue to not understand how big a deal this bill is going to be if implemented

Fixed. A Romney presidency would likely gut most of what makes the law work; I don't buy the idea that he'll scrap the entire law considering the entire party has nothing to replace it with.

Zabka

Damn son, passing shit under the radar. No way in hell would this have been passed if it had been hyped up, good job Big O.

jwMcdCNcN20qO.jpg

Damn this is good news.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The single biggest reason why Obama has to win in November. The ACA is a big fucking deal

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So, how did this escape notice, anyway? I mean the entire health care law has been up and studied by everyone. How did they miss this?
They didn't. They just chose to not report on it, instead focusing on death panels and generalized philosophical debates about big government.

This is essentially a government-sponsored private option in place of a government-run public option. In effect it's practically the same thing.

It was always there in the terms under which the national exchanges would operate. This will be one of the plans offered.

So basically... universal healthcare? Done. *slap table*

Edit: or is the ACA already considered universal healthcare? In that case... Nvm. I don't know the exact terms.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That pic has got me rolling, damn son. So good.

It's probably better that it wasn't, there is no way that the republicans would have let this through if they had known.

No, they knew about it, which is why they fought against it so much. It was implemented this way because the public option didn't have the political support to pass, but an equivalent, publicly-sponsored private option, did.

Jackson50

whoa whoa whoa, wtf is this

(more at link)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/health/us-to-sponsor-health-insurance-plans-nationwide.html?_r=1

Is this real life?! Am I overreacting, because I covered ACA a lot and don't remember anything like this being passed
Yes. Real life. The multi-state plans were a controversial compromise brokered by Reid with Ben Nelson. I'm surprised others are surprised by this. What a difference a few years makes.

Anyway, they project to exert downward pressure on premiums. Read this.
I think you're misremembering history. Liberals were displeased that Obama and Reid had even compromised on the public option.

RDreamer

They didn't. They just chose to not report on it, instead focusing on death panels and generalized philosophical debates about big government.

This is essentially a government-sponsored private option in place of a government-run public option. In effect it's practically the same thing.

It was always there in the terms under which the national exchanges would operate. This will be one of the plans offered.

I guess I just didn't know there'd be a national exchange or a government sponsored plan in that exchange. Or I read it and then promptly forgot it. So are there only 2 national plans or will there be a full exchange of a bunch of plans, but with 2 being sponsored by the federal government?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom