• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

Cheebs, I'm still waiting for your astute analysis. What does the drastic change in approval actually mean, and when do you foresee we'll see the effects of it?

Where's Ja Cheebs so we can make sense of all this?

Puddles

Banned
Not gonna lie, I'm really considering cashing out my intrade account with a $100 gain. That plunge in approval rating coming one day after the Fox News Libya allegations doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you think that Gallup is concerned about what their model is showing given that its line with no one but Ras? Ras doesn't care obviously, but it seems like a huge gamble here - they're either going to be massively vindicated on election day or utterly discredited, which doesn't seem like a sound business strategy.

Cheebs, I'm still waiting for your astute analysis. What does the drastic change in approval actually mean, and when do you foresee we'll see the effects of it?

Where's Ja Cheebs so we can make sense of all this?

It's just random statistical noise without some event to precipitate a drop in approval; Cheebs and Diablos are just chickenlittling as usual. I mean, we didn't really discuss it, but the economic figures on Friday were largely positive.

Gotchaye

Not gonna lie, I'm really considering cashing out my intrade account with a $100 gain. That plunge in approval rating coming one day after the Fox News Libya allegations doesn't seem like a coincidence.

No. Maybe, maybe, you could argue that Silver's model is too optimistic. But Obama's still has much better than a 63% shot. I'm letting my $80 gains so far ride.

HylianTom

Banned
*cough*

IBDTIPPPoll.jpg

http://news.investors.com/special-report/508415-ibdtipp-poll.aspx

Shocked, I am. Wow. Sooo surprised.

pigeon

Banned

Explains why the huge approval rating drop was accompanied by a big loss in the horse race numbers as well.

Gotchaye

No. Maybe, maybe, you could argue that Silver's model is too optimistic. But Obama's still has much better than a 63% shot. I'm letting my $80 gains so far ride.

Ha, as I say this more than 2000 shares get sold off and the price falls to 6.25. Puddles is already dead.

HylianTom

Banned
jesus christ, southern respondents are making up ~40% of this poll?
Not too far off, actually. From what I remember when we last discussed this about Gallup, the South (depending on how one draws the regional boundaries) has about 37% of the country's population.

Another day goes by where the South is skewing national polling. Tick-tock.

don't most southern states have turnout 5-15% lower than the national average, though
That.. I don't know.

Mazre

Just got back from early voting here in Florida (Obama++). In and out the door in < 30 minutes. Based on the supervisor of elections website looks like a good number of people are taking advantage of the early voting (at least initially). 6/8 sites have wait times of 1-3 hours since poll opened (fortunately the most convenient one for me had only 10 minute wait times.)

markatisu

Southern states turnout is generally pretty huge. The religious bible belt types turn out to vote rain or shine. Young liberals and minorities take a lot of prodding to get to the polls sadly.

And yet outside of Florida a Southern state has not mattered in decades for the Presidency....but the South will rise again!

cousins

And yet outside of Florida a Southern state has not mattered in decades for the Presidency....but the South will rise again!

If they were ever up for grabs they'd matter. The only reason no one cares is because they're so solidly republican, trying to sway them is a lost cause and a waste of money.

ido

Low information voters. And this late in the game, its REALLY low information voters who are undecided.

From my bubble, the lower the information a person has, the more likely it is they know who they are voting for, so it's weird to me to see people genuinely undecided at this point.

And if "not sure" means neither, or a third party, that makes more sense to me.

JCizzle

I may have an odd set of affiliations, but at least they're high-turnout, Dem affiliations!

5e2ybura.jpg

49ers, Sox, Celtics fan; and the Nats are a very distant second place due to being the local team where I live now.

Given the tenor of this thread currently I thought I'd note that if Obama's lead in Ohio is really 2 points we should probably expect to see Romney ahead in at least one poll before the election.
And without one we'd have to assume its three or more. And that makes sense. It is over two on RCP including a ras tie.

Ohio is looking More like 3-4 lately. Hopefully no one shows mitt up again.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The next question after, "Are you undecided?" should be, "What is your IQ?"

How could you possibly be undecided? Attention whores.

Amir0x

Banned
i think the undecideds at this point are just waiting for one or the other candidate to unexpectedly die so they don't have to make a choice

it's the only conclusion

ido

Ohio is looking More like 3-4 lately. Hopefully no one shows mitt up again.

Please be right.

I am actually a bit curious as to where I should watch election coverage. I do not have any cable at my house, so are most of the major news stations going to offer free live streams of coverage? I am especially wanting to switch between something palatable and FOX news for the laughs.

Owzers

I am officially registered to vote in Virginia, the gottaregister thing went through. On the downside, I have heard troubling things about Obama regarding Libya on Fox news and am now unsure who i am voting for. Obama was whiny when saying he was sorry to a father about his sons death in Libya, and his hand shake was like a dead fish. Firm Handshaker 2012.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It's people who are dumb enough to respond to a survey without knowing anything about politics. In other words, people who just want to be included despite not being particularly likely voters.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'd like to know what states are considered part of each region in that data...
The census defines the south as the traditional southeast, plus Texas and Oklahoma to the west, and Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware in the north. You can view the breakdown of the other regions in the map. I assume that's the same breakdown that most polls use, because I don't see how the south could affect the overall results as much without Texas and Virginia.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Im guessing most "undecideds" at this point just don't want to admit who they're voting for.

I may have an odd set of affiliations, but at least they're high-turnout, Dem affiliations!

5e2ybura.jpg

49ers, Sox, Celtics fan; and the Nats are a very distant second place due to being the local team where I live now.
Michigan State football fans better than U of M, Notre Dame, and Ohio State fans confirmed ( since we have no on-the-field accomplishments to brag about this season, and we are still on the wrong side of the vertical line. *green and white tears*).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not sure if you're joking or not, but 75% to win means Obama loses 1 out of 4 times. If Nate's 75% predictions were always right, that would cause him to lose credibility.

Except Nate's 75% doesn't actually work that way.

markatisu

If they were ever up for grabs they'd matter. The only reason no one cares is because they're so solidly republican, trying to sway them is a lost cause and a waste of money.

For now, give a few more cycles when states like South Carolina begin to flip due to the influx of Hispanics. They don't want to believe but they are blatantly ignoring the Census that is showing the same trends in the South that hit the Midwest 10 years ago.

The Southwest is already dealing with this, a few more cycles and we will see TX move as well

so basically we're reduced to questioning the credibility of the most reputable polling organization the past 50 years in order to hold out hope for an obama victory? eggs..basket.. you know.

so basically we're reduced to questioning the credibility of the most reputable polling organization the past 50 years in order to hold out hope for an obama victory? eggs..basket.. you know.
Gallup 1948

"We're not going to poll the presidential election because it's clear Thomas Dewey will win it going away."

How reputable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom