• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
It's like a horror movie for the Republicans. The murderous Kenyan cannibal is after them, and they're locked in an old college building.. and each path of escape is slamming shut in their faces. Soon, the Kenyan shall die on them, and we shall enjoy the tears!

The Secret Service is totally going to believe that's a typo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That Ohio poll was taken between Oct 18-23, which is primarily pre-third debate. Why are they just now releasing it?

EDIT: Well Nate did notice that. He correctly dated the poll as Oct 23.

Dat Dead Heat

I wish the election was over already. CNN is trying soooooo hard to remain "neutral" but even their reporters/analysts like Anderson and Erin Burnett are starting to have doubts on it being that much of a close race. Especially looking at the polls they keep mongering on like North Carolina lol

I wish the election was over already. CNN is trying soooooo hard to remain "neutral" but even their reporters/analysts like Anderson and Erin Burnett are starting to have doubts on it being that much of a close race. Especially looking at the polls they keep mongering on like North Carolina lol

wolf blitzer gotta eat

SmokeMaxX

It's so dumb that "neutral" means ignoring the facts so that the one losing doesn't get offended.

Where do you see this?

I keep hearing about the national polls and how Mitt is romping all over Barry O.

RDreamer

Interesting. I just recieved a mailing to the house that labeled 'voter history audit' and lists some of the family members here and a few of our neighours having voted or not from "Americans for Limited Government".

I don't know whether to laugh at this terrible attempt at voter intimidation by a conservative group (it's a strongly Democrat neighborhood) or laugh because Americans for Limited Government used government records provided by the government to do this.

The wife and I got something like that a while back, too. I forget who sent it, but yeah it was a list of all of our neighbors and whether they voted or not in the last election.

It's because Bill Clinton was a southern boy and knew how to talk real with the people. Also I think people were way more intelligent in the 90s.
Actually I think the "stupid" people have become more vocal in the last few years. The intelligent people unfortunately have decided to let them get this far. Which makes you wonder if the intelligent ones are even intelligent in the first place.

Downhome

It's because Bill Clinton was a southern boy and knew how to talk real with the people. Also I think people were way more intelligent in the 90s.

Ha, people were no smarter then than now. The issues of the day are almost totally different now than the ones back then. Lots of things have changed.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
If only we could communicate with these wise and ancient 90s people. Alas, we can only survey their ruins.

I don't know, I guess I just don't hate taxes as much as my mom does.
KuGsj.gif
She tried to give me shit as a small-business owner like, "do you want your and father's business to pay more in taxes?" I'm like, "maybe," and she literally screamed "BULLSHIT!"

did you explain progressive taxation? usually people pulling over $250k in profit per year don't mind paying a little extra . . . and if they do mind, they usually aren't vehement about it because they are damn rich.

in my experience the most crazy anti-tax people are those who would not even be affected by the kinds of increases obama is proposing. this is usually because they are confused about progressive taxation, not because they have some altruistic motivation to protect rich people.

it would be nice to have 303 if only so there's a problem with wisconsin or something and the win total is 293. or if the pv and ev split, but obama still gets 300+ evs instead of something a lot closer to 270.

oh no doubt a bigger victory would be better. but at the end of the day the most important thing is keeping PPACA and getting a good ginsburg replacement, and only 270 votes are needed for that . . . and it is very comforting to know that obama can quite easily get 270 even if he loses VA and OH.

Funny how Bill and Hilary Clinton drafted a Universal Health Care program almost 20 years ago, and today we're still arguing about the merits of government-assisted health care.

George Bush also accused Bill Clinton of having meetings with communists and making secret deals with them

border

in my experience the most crazy anti-tax people are those who would not even be affected by the kinds of increases obama is proposing. this is usually because they are confused about progressive taxation, not because they have some altruistic motivation to protect rich people.

Cracked had a great article about this - does anyone have a link?

The thrust of the article was that most low-income Republicans think of themselves as down-on-their-luck rich people, rather than middle class or lower class. So instead of worrying about how much they pay in taxes now, they worry that when they finally become mega-successful that the LIBRULS will want to take 1/3rd of their paycheck (even though that's not how a progressive tax system works).

dabig2

Actually I think the "stupid" people have become more vocal in the last few years. The intelligent people unfortunately have decided to let them get this far. Which makes you wonder if the intelligent ones are even intelligent in the first place.

2 words: Fox News cable news.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Make no mistake. This IS a close race, but also an inflexible one. Romney is likely going to lose a lot of key states by small margins he could never close and maybe lose a popular vote similarly tight. Most people had already made up their minds coming into this, and the closeness of the numbers shouldn't be read as equal winnability.

So, rather than a horse race agenda being pushed on CNN, it may just be Wolf Blitzer displaying his level of knowledge on the nature of what he's reporting.

We all know his acumen in that regard.

Cloudy

Banned
Funny enough, that last article on 538 showed that Clinton was leading over Bush in polls in Bush's own state (well the one he was a representative in, anyway).

Yeah but even in a wave election like 2008, no democrat would have won in the deep south. Gore couldn't win freaking Tennessee in 2000

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
did you explain progressive taxation? usually people pulling over $250k in profit per year don't mind paying a little extra . . . and if they do mind, they usually aren't vehement about it because they are damn rich.

oh no doubt a bigger victory would be better. but at the end of the day the most important thing is keeping PPACA and getting a good ginsburg replacement, and only 270 votes are needed for that . . . and it is very comforting to know that obama can quite easily get 270 even if he loses VA and OH.

I only asked because I wanted to know if she understood anything outside of just being racist (they're extremely racist, and its gotten significantly worse in the last few years to the point that literally every problem is due to other races). The obvious answer is that she had no understanding of it at all since a) asking what Obama's plan is doesn't answer my question, and b) our law firm doesn't make enough money to be taxed that way - if we were making that much money it would be awesome, and c) she flat out didn't' know what Romney's tax plan was or even the vague basics of it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ow-hurricane-sandy-could-affect-the-election/

A senior adviser to President Obama said that the campaign doesn’t expect the storm to be a major issue. But according to a 2007 study published in the Journal of Politics, bad weather generally helps Republicans — better weather, the authors say, would have won Al Gore Florida in 2000. Another study, from 2004, found that “voters regularly punish governments for acts of God, including droughts, floods, and shark attacks.”

In case Diablos needed any more helping sleeping at night.

FyreWulff

A left-leaning group has done similar stuff to encourage people to vote. It's all public info. Seems counter-productive for a right-wing organization to do it, though. More voters generally means more dem votes.

Maybe, but all the hispanic names were marked as not voting in 2004 and all the white names are marked as yes.. even though half the people weren't even there in 2004. and one of the 'yes' voters moved out of Omaha in 2006. :lol

I'd view it as more altruistic if it just said "Hey, we noticed you only voted one out of two years. Go vote". Putting your neighbors full names and voting record on there? Saying they'll send another one out after the election?

If they intended to get those people to go vote by saying "we're gonna send another mailer after 2012", they're sending people voting for Obama to the polls. Looking at their website.. I don't think they want to do that. I'm not reading good intentions from that mailer.

Not if they target voters in a community that would typically lean GOP

Omaha.gif

Mailer recieved in bottom far right side of map. And remember that Omaha was responsible for splitting Nebraska's electoral vote, giving Obama 1 electoral vote, in 2008. This mailer is just all kinds of backfire :lol

Storms a lot of noise over nothing. Its going to probably be a massive dud but they have to hype it up as some apocalyptic storm of the century. They keep saying landfall in less than a day yet all the trackers I look at show like 2 days away

Wow, do some reading please.

this will be one of the top three most expensive stormss in history.

Speed...it's moving slow
Size....it's massive
Storm surge....enormous, full moon too

And will be the first time on record a hurricane hits a cold front over land

Look at the projected rain and flood maps, not the wind maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom