• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not getting the house though, are we? I remember a long time ago, when tv's were still black and white, just before the debates actually, we moved from the presidency and Senate to hoping for the house. What a time it was.

We're not getting the house though, are we? I remember a long time ago, when tv's were still black and white, just before the debates actually, we moved from the presidency and Senate to hoping for the house. What a time it was.

hard to conceive of a scenario in which the dems retake the house if Obama loses

syllogism

Hume said on fox that tomorrow morning's politico battleground (national despite the name) poll will have Romney up by 5. It's looking increasingly likely that Romney is ahead nationally.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hume said on fox that tomorrow morning's politico battleground (national despite the name) poll have Romney up by 5. It's looking increasingly likely that Romney is ahead nationally.

Again, would be amazing if Obama won electoral and lost popular.

Can't wait for the hypocrisy to flow from the right-wing.

pigeon

Banned
Hume said on fox that tomorrow morning's politico battleground (national despite the name) poll will have Romney up by 5. It's looking increasingly likely that Romney is ahead nationally.

I dunno. He's gained day over day in the tracking poll average all week.

Chumly

I just don't see how Romney wins the popular vote while Obama is leading in most swing states.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol @ Biden in PA = Panic

PA shares a border with Ohio and there's overlap with Ohio voters there.

pigeon

Banned
I'm not convinced it's worth deploying our strategic anxiety reserve over a secondhand report of what a poll is going to say when we're going to actually get that poll tomorrow and have to reorient our anxiety strategy on two fronts.

Romney will criticize Obama for the confusion over whether or not Sandy was a perfect storm or the biggest storm of the decade. This will spin into an Obama and NOAA conspiracy bigger than Watergate and Benghazigate combined!

Landslide for Romney.

gcubed

Why is he visiting PA though? We all would agree that if Ryan went to campaign to PA its fool's gold for Romney, we said the same about Ann Romney being there some weeks back.

i don't know... The state is about to get hit by a hurricane?

i mean, no, they are losing, you should hide your sharp objects

Cloudy

Banned

They release 2 polls. One is national and one is battleground states

Aylinato

can we get the trolling to stop since its 1 week away from election day(almost)?

It would be nice to have a conversation without going OMG!1!@1@!#@!4 all the time.

Clevinger

In all seriousness: this is horrible news for Obama. Romney being ahead in the popular vote even before the hurricane takes its toll.

Is anyone else looking forward to the Economist endorsement Thursday? They're slightly right of center on the economy, but I would not be surprised if they went for Obama again as they did in 2008 as they have been highly critical of Romney's dishonesty. They're also very high quality (IMO) and I think them endorsing Obama would signal to the conservatives how messed up the GOP has become.

On the other hand if they endorse Romney I will be very disappointed in them.

Clevinger

Is anyone else looking forward to the Economist endorsement Thursday? They're slightly right of center on the economy, but I would not be surprised if they went for Obama again as they did in 2008 as they have been highly critical of Romney's dishonesty. They're also very high quality (IMO) and I think them endorsing Obama would signal to the conservatives how messed up the GOP has become.

On the other hand if they endorse Romney I will be very disappointed in them.

The main problem: American conservatives don't read The Economist.

Cheebo

Banned
Politico will have Romney up by 5 in their new battleground poll (semi-national poll, just of the 9 major swing state). A big jump for Romney.

Bowdz

iu3nHYL8aQHRO.gif

"Sandy now has the largest Integrated Kinetic Energy (IKE) of any tropical cyclone in history, 222 terajoules (one trillion joules, 10^12). "

---

What does this mean for the election? Lets go state by state and see who benefits

Virginia: Obama dominates the north, Romney the south. Impact will be in the northern half of the state. DC metro will be shut down, possible for days, leaving many stranded. Those are prone to blame government for their inconvenience. Benefits: Strong Romney

West Virginia: Might actually see snow. Benefits: No Impact

Ohio: Lots of rain, snow possible. Benefits: No Impact

DC: Small district, even impact. Would take carefully planned meteorites to affect the election. Worst case scenario, puts Obama on the popular vote loss path. Benefits: No Impact

Maryland: Like Virginia, will have severe mass transit impacts in southern Maryland and Baltimore region. Delays may cause many to blame government. Baltimore also sits on a harbor, and may be flooded. Republicans live in suburban caves, away from water. Benefits: Strong Romney

Pennsylvania: Obama holds the state only because of the two big cities. One of them is doomed. Benefits: Strong Romney

Delaware: Like DC, small state and so even impacts. Might impact popular vote number. Benefits: No Impact

New Jersey: State may have no cancel elections. Trump hotel is doomed, favoring Obama, but if NJTransit is out for too long, anti-government sentiment will be high. Areas close to NYC prone to massive flooding. Suburban areas likely to be without power for a week or more. Benefits: Lean Romney

New York: Again, transit in play. If LIRR, MTA and Metro north fail, voters will blame the government. However, city will likely get power much faster than suburbs, if they lose it at all. Suburbs may have no power for over a week. North of state will be fine, with Rochester and Albany holding the state for Obama. Benefits: Lean Obama

Connecticut: Trees, everywhere. Falling trees everywhere. Metro north might be out for days, and CDOT for longer. The coast? Forget about it. Benefits: Strong Romney

Rhode Island: Like Delaware, too small to have distributed impacts. Benefits: No Impact

Massachusetts: May strongly affect senate race. Boston should be fine, suburbs are in trouble. Benefits: Lean Obama

New Hampshire: Landslide might take out libertarian hobos. Benefits: Lean Obama

Maine: Downeastern train expansion launch (scheduled for November 1) might be delayed, making people angry at government. Benefits: Lean Romney

Conclusion: Bad news for Obama, especially when it comes to national popular vote. Virginia moves from tossup to lean romney, and penn enters play. Anti government senitment may affect down-ticket races.

This is a developing story.

"Sandy now has the largest Integrated Kinetic Energy (IKE) of any tropical cyclone in history, 222 terajoules (one trillion joules, 10^12). "

---

What does this mean for the election? Lets go state by state and see who benefits

Virginia: Obama dominates the north, Romney the south. Impact will be in the northern half of the state. DC metro will be shut down, possible for days, leaving many stranded. Those are prone to blame government for their inconvenience. Benefits: Strong Romney

West Virginia: Might actually see snow. Benefits: No Impact

Ohio: Lots of rain, snow possible. Benefits: No Impact

DC: Small district, even impact. Would take carefully planned meteorites to affect the election. Worst case scenario, puts Obama on the popular vote loss path. Benefits: No Impact

Maryland: Like Virginia, will have severe mass transit impacts in southern Maryland and Baltimore region. Delays may cause many to blame government. Baltimore also sits on a harbor, and may be flooded. Republicans live in suburban caves, away from water. Benefits: Strong Romney

Pennsylvania: Obama holds the state only because of the two big cities. One of them is doomed. Benefits: Strong Romney

Delaware: Like DC, small state and so even impacts. Might impact popular vote number. Benefits: No Impact

New Jersey: State may have no cancel elections. Trump hotel is doomed, favoring Obama, but if NJTransit is out for too long, anti-government sentiment will be high. Areas close to NYC prone to massive flooding. Suburban areas likely to be without power for a week or more. Benefits: Lean Romney

New York: Again, transit in play. If LIRR, MTA and Metro north fail, voters will blame the government. However, city will likely get power much faster than suburbs, if they lose it at all. Suburbs may have no power for over a week. North of state will be fine, with Rochester and Albany holding the state for Obama. Benefits: Lean Obama

Connecticut: Trees, everywhere. Falling trees everywhere. Metro north might be out for days, and CDOT for longer. The coast? Forget about it. Benefits: Strong Romney

Rhode Island: Like Delaware, too small to have distributed impacts. Benefits: No Impact

Massachusetts: May strongly affect senate race. Boston should be fine, suburbs are in trouble. Benefits: Lean Obama

New Hampshire: Landslide might take out libertarian hobos. Benefits: Lean Obama

Maine: Downeastern train expansion launch (scheduled for November 1) might be delayed, making people angry at government. Benefits: Lean Romney

Conclusion: Bad news for Obama, especially when it comes to national popular vote. Virginia moves from tossup to lean romney, and penn enters play. Anti government senitment may affect down-ticket races.

This is a developing story.

Dont forget oil. Never forget the price of oil.

how can this storm benefit Romney more when rural areas usually take longer to recover than urban areas?

guy who lives in city can walk to his polling station while farmer dude must travel through flooded roads and power outages

oh shi not Minnesota, Chicken Littlers better run the fuck for cover. doomsday scenario activated

I find it a bit hard to believe. Romney hasn't shown an interest in Minnesota whatsoever. He finished 3rd behind Santorum and Paul in the primaries. Not to mention the poll is 47-44. Which I always think there's a 40-45 Republican stronghold in Minnesota no matter what.

I say the results will be Obama 53-Romney 45. 3rd parties get the remaining 2% with Johnson beating out Stein.

Clevinger

how can this storm benefit Romney more when rural areas usually take longer to recover than urban areas?

guy who lives in city can walk to his polling station while farmer dude must travel through flooded roads and power outages

That may seem to be the case, but I think there was a study people keep mentioning that said the opposite.

Cloudy

Banned
A poll of the swing states is meaningless? It's way more useful than national since all the Romney locked southern states aren't polled.

Romney is +5 in NC and maybe +2 in FL. CO and VA are tied and Obama is up 1 or 2 in OH, NV, IA, NH and WI. Do you see how a poll of all those states combined could be skewed?

Why don't these guys just poll the individual states? Because it won't be a sexy headline...

I'm not sure polls that mix random battleground stated matter since each is different, has different party biases, state economies, etc.

I am starting to believe Obama is down nationally and might lose the popular vote. Either the majority of national polls are wrong, or state pls are wrong. Romney can't be up 2-4% nationally yet lose many if the states that matter. Something is way off.

pigeon

Banned
Jesus, there really are more trolls than actual posters here. Get a grip, guys, this isn't the Breaking Bad thread.

I am starting to believe Obama is down nationally and might lose the popular vote. Either the majority of national polls are wrong, or state pls are wrong. Romney can't be up 2-4% nationally yet lose many if the states that matter. Something is way off.

As Nate observed this week, Obama is leading in the tracking poll average.

Jackson50

The storm is localizing over Democratic strongholds. Cyan raised the point yesterday: "Scientists are projecting right now that the storm is likely to break up into a whole bunch of smaller but more powerful storms, which will localize over urban centers due to the greater heat emissions. Urban areas are generally democratic strongholds." It's getting very bad, especially if the terajoules measurement is accurate.
From the storm thread
It was 222 terajoules early this morning. It's at 313 terajoules now. An unbelievable amount of energy. For comparison, Katrina was 117 at her peak.
Shit. So many terajoules that it's practically raining them. This is really bad. FFS.

Some the highly educated ones do, as well as the ones that want to pretend they're smart. People don't have to necessarily read it for it to send a signal either.

I think The Economist does not have any influence at all over American conservatives. Pathetically, it does influence American liberals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom