• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure I ask you guys here. Me and a co-worker briefly discuss politics and pretty much knew he was a republican. Anyways he was trying to tell me some bs about the federal reserve. How it is corrupt or privately owned and wants to get rid of it. He wanted me to watch this youtube film called The American Dream. Don't know much about the reserve and from past briefly reading isn't this some conspiracy theory that right has come up with?

It's more of a libertarian/Ron Paul thing. The same people that want to put the US back on the gold standard. It's a stupid idea for lots of reasons, and the fact that no industrialized country uses the gold standard or anything close to it should tell you something.

Wasn't talking about Philly directly

Philly "directly" (and the surrounding suburbs, which are the same thing) is where the voters are. Outside of that immediate area is basically lots of nothing in central PA.

Amir0x

Banned
ok guys, CONTEST TIME

i want people to make an electoral map for Nov 6. Use 270towin to guide you (I'll save links; no changing links after October 31). Then, in the same post, I want a popular vote margin. For "in case of tie" purposes, I also want everyone to guess the time Virginia will be called for either candidate.

The winner will get a 20 dollar gift on Steam of their choice.

Submissions over on the last day of October 2012.

Clevinger

I figure I ask you guys here. Me and a co-worker briefly discuss politics and pretty much knew he was a republican. Anyways he was trying to tell me some bs about the federal reserve. How it is corrupt or privately owned and wants to get rid of it. He wanted me to watch this youtube film called The American Dream. Don't know much about the reserve and from past briefly reading isn't this some conspiracy theory that right has come up with?

Yeah. Conservatives, especially Ron Paul fans, have a bunch of dumb conspiracies about the FR and horrible ideas about monetary policy, like putting us back on gold. Just smile and nod and ignore the guy.

Cloudy

Banned
ok guys, CONTEST TIME

i want people to make an electoral map for Nov 6. Use 270towin to guide you. Then, in the same post, I want a popular vote margin. For "in case of tie" purposes, I also want everyone to guess the time Virginia will be called for either candidate.

You have to set a deadline of this weekend if this is going to work..

pigeon

Banned
So I was looking at 538 and noticed the model has an outcome of obama winning 332 EV's with a 16% probability, which is higher than any other outcome. How's is his model seeing that when it is currently projecting Romney as most likely to win Florida. Shouldn't 303 be the highest probability considering the current projection?

I think the interpretation is, if Obama outperforms his polls by even a pretty small amount, he wins 332, so almost all of the upside projections end up there. If the result is about in line with the polls, or Romney does a little better, then they split a bunch of the swing states and Obama wins some number more than 270 -- hence the wide spread of medium-probability options between 270 and about 303. 303 is the second most probable outcome. This is just another way of saying that it's not sufficient for Romney to slightly outperform the polls -- too many states are showing small leads for Obama, so a slight gain for him will just cut into Obama's margin of victory in some unclear way.

Aylinato

But THE STORM OF THE CENTURY!!!

ObamaChill-1.jpg

Trurl

Banned
I think The Economist does not have any influence at all over American conservatives. Pathetically, it does influence American liberals.

What magazines or "newspapers" (take THAT! Economist style guide) do you respect?

I don't read the Economist as much as I used to and while there are some things I like about it, I would little more rely upon its opinion than Neil Ferguson's.

Bowdz

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

i want people to make an electoral map for Nov 6. Use 270towin to guide you (I'll save links; no changing links after October 31). Then, in the same post, I want a popular vote margin. For "in case of tie" purposes, I also want everyone to guess the time Virginia will be called for either candidate.

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=VHI

Popular vote margin: Obama + 1.5%

Virginia called 10PM EST.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think The Economist does not have any influence at all over American conservatives. Pathetically, it does influence American liberals.
They have their quirks that I don't agree with (their obsession with banking regulation, the disposition to appeal toward the "middle way", and everything else that constitutes their blind spot), but they are a breath of fresh air for those who favor economic liberalism without most of the ridiculous baggage that has recently accompanied the modern right. In their favor, they are socially and environmentally progressive, they are willing to tackle important progressive issues such as inequality (in their own economically liberal ways, of course), they are on the correct side of the Euro mess, and they are largely anti-austerian, although they do flirt at times with the idea of reducing the debt in the near term.

20040508issuecovUS400.jpg
20121013_cna400.jpg

20120825_cna400.jpg
20120616_cap400.jpg

pigeon

Banned

Not only is your friend crazy, based on correlative evidence, he's probably a dick.

What magazines or "newspapers" (take THAT! Economist style guide) do you respect?

I don't read the Economist as much as I used to and while there are some things I like about it, I would little more rely upon its opinion than Neil Ferguson's.

Esquire's political blog is usually pretty solid, but they're not really a source for hard political news

In short, yes. The Federal Reserve is part of the US government. Congress can do anything it wants with it. That is not to say, however, that the way in which it operates is maximally transparent and accountable. There are valid criticisms to be made, but a lot of beliefs about the federal reserve are uninformed.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
ok guys, CONTEST TIME

Electoral Vote: 303-235 O

Popular vote: Romney +0.5%

Virginia: 9:30 PM EST

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Yeah. Conservatives, especially Ron Paul fans, have a bunch of dumb conspiracies about the FR and horrible ideas about monetary policy, like putting us back on gold. Just smile and nod and ignore the guy.

LOL...I wish I could ignore him. He is my work relief for the day and I am sure he will ask me if I saw that film. He is an ex-military guy. I told up straight up that I wish there were stricter gun laws...Im sure he did not like that. His response was it would not change a thing.

Plumbob

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=VHU

50 Romney-49 Obama

Virginia called 8:00 Eastern

Clevinger

LOL...I wish I could ignore him. He is my work relief for the day and I am sure he will ask me if I saw that film. He is an ex-military guy. I told up straight up that I wish there were stricter gun laws...Im sure he did not like that. His response was it would not change a thing.

Just tell him you don't like to talk about politics.

leroidys

Is anyone else looking forward to the Economist endorsement Thursday? They're slightly right of center on the economy, but I would not be surprised if they went for Obama again as they did in 2008 as they have been highly critical of Romney's dishonesty. They're also very high quality (IMO) and I think them endorsing Obama would signal to the conservatives how messed up the GOP has become.

On the other hand if they endorse Romney I will be very disappointed in them.

I'm not. Economist is a terrible magazine. It portrays itself as the wise insider, but more often than not the articles read like a high school report, completely failing at any believable nuance and chasing down a single narrative in an attempt to sound "informed". They have good stories from time to time, but most of it is terrible, which isn't really surprising when you consider the vast amount of articles they churn out every week.

Loudninja

Gingrich Defends Mourdock’s Rape Remarks: ‘Get Over It,’ Obama Is The Real Radical On Abortion
On the Sunday talk show circuit, Newt Gingrich defended Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock of Indiana for his remarks about abortion and rape, referring to the controversy as “nonsense” and calling on President Obama’s campaign to “get over it.”
“If you listen to what Mourdock actually said, he said what virtually every Catholic and every fundamentalist in the country believes, life begins at conception,” Gingrich said on ABC’s “This Week.” “Now, this seems to be fixated by the Democrats, but the radical on abortion is Obama, who as a state senator voted three times in favor of allowing doctors to kill babies in the eighth and ninth month who were born, having survived late-term abortion.”
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...ard-mourdock-abortion-rape.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

RDreamer

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

290-248 Obama

Obama +.5%

Virginia: 10:45 PM EST

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat

Sounds more like a Ron Lawlbertarian. They have an enormous hate boner for the Federal Reserve.

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=VIo
yfbZk.jpg

332 O

206 R

Popular Vote
51% O
48% R
1% Other
(O+3%)

Virginia called by 9:30pm Eastern

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

I'm sticking with my prediction Romney 271 Obama 267

Romney gets 0.7% more of the PV

Virginia is called the morning after the election November 7th 8am.

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=VID

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

My projection. Obama keeps his 2008 states except NC, FL and IN. Colorado really got me head scratching. But I trust the posters who pointed out under-representation of Latino voters in polling, and hopefully they'll come out in droves.

Popular vote: 50.4% - 48.8% O

Edit: Oh VA will be called by 10 PM ET :p

Ecotic

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

Electoral Vote:
Obama - 303
Romney - 235

Popular Vote: Obama +1.6%

Virginia: 11:30 p.m.

Is there is a third party candidate or independent candidate who can have a million vote nation wide?

not this year, no. Regionally you might have a candidate that might grab 1 or 2% of a particular state, but not nationwide. there isn't anyone running with that kind of recognition. Ron Paul probably could have gotten 1.5% of all voters nationwide, but he didn't go third party.

It would take someone phenomenally high profile, with a significant amount of personal wealth yet independent, like say- maybe Bloomberg.

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

EDIT: The share button isn't working for me...

303 EV as well.

Romney + 1.5% popular...

VA will be called at 10:00 PM.

GhaleonEB

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

Electoral Votes: Obama 303, Romney 235

Popular Vote: Obama +3.2%

Virginia time: 11:25 PM (EST)

I'm not. Economist is a terrible magazine. It portrays itself as the wise insider, but more often than not the articles read like a high school report, completely failing at any believable nuance and chasing down a single narrative in an attempt to sound "informed". They have good stories from time to time, but most of it is terrible, which isn't really surprising when you consider the vast amount of articles they churn out every week.
No nuance? Single narrative what? It seems clear you don't actually read it, they rarely take a strong stance right or left on a issue and usually say both sides are right in some aspect. It's a great magazine. Not perfect, but better than any other single media source I have found.

No nuance? Single narrative what? It seems clear you don't actually read it, they rarely take a strong stance right or left on a issue and usually say both sides are right in some aspect. It's a great magazine. Not perfect, but better than any other single media source I have found.

So, they're the CNN of weekly newsmagazines? I'll pass

ok guys, CONTEST TIME

http://www.270towin.com/index.php#.UI2TscXA_75
EV: 347-191 Obama
Popular Vote Margin: 1.1% Obama
Virginia Called at 11:27 PM.

Omiee

cant believe its a close race and obama might even lose after all the shit romney and the gop have pulled the last few months.

47%, the comments about abortion and women by the gop and more and this is still a close race.

I want to believe that Obama will win Florida, but so far I'm not convinced.

Popular vote: Obama by 1.8%
Virginia called at 10:02 PM EST

So far (as of last week? or early this week) democrats were vastly overperforming in terms of absentee voting compared to 2008, and most LV polls have Romney and Obama tied there. If this trend continues, we take florida in a walk.

I'm feeling pretty confident about it.

edit:

Republicans have historically had an edge in Florida's vote-by-mail program, but Bird said Democrats have been able to cut the GOP lead to a much smaller margin.

At the same point in 2008, 257,000 more Republicans than Democrats had early voted. This year, it’s just 33,500 more. “In a state President Obama won by nearly 240,000 votes, that's a 223,500-vote swing even the dizziest Republican can't spin away,” Bird wrote. Democrats have also cut Republicans’ absentee ballot advantage in half.

All of that, added to state’s demographic shifts – 300,000 new Hispanic voters, 100,000 African American and Caribbean American voters – overwhelmingly favor Democrats. Just 10 percent of the new Hispanic voters have registered as Republicans. In all, the Obama campaign expects minority voters to make up more than 30 percent of the Florida electorate, up from 28 percent in 2008.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/10/obama-team-pushes-florida-early-voting-147456.html

Clevinger

cant believe its a close race and obama might even lose after all the shit romney and the gop have pulled the last few months.

47%, the comments about abortion and women by the gop and more and this is still a close race.

your average voter has the memory of a goldfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom