• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What the heck is IKE? I live in the caribbean, and by our standards, 75mph winds ain't shit. But leave it to people to invent a new way this storm is way stronger because it is hitting the precious northeast.

The storm is dangerous because its going to hit some high population areas where people are less accustomed to hurricanes and thus less prepared. That's a horrible combo and Obama/FEMA need to do as much as possible to minimize the loss of life.

But as a hurricane, Sandy is weak sauce.

syllogism

What the heck is IKE? I live in the caribbean, and by our standards, 75mph winds ain't shit. But leave it to people to invent a new way this storm is way stronger because it is hitting the precious northeast.

The storm is dangerous because its going to hit some high population areas where people are less accustomed to hurricanes and thus less prepared. That's a horrible combo and Obama/FEMA need to do as much as possible to minimize the loss of life.

It's a function of the wind field mostly and Sandy is now the largest storm ever observed in the atlantic basin. The surge is the main threat, not the wind speed

Sandy's winds at a modest 2.6 on a scale of 0 to 6. However, the destructive potential of the storm surge was exceptionally high: 5.7 on a scale of 0 to 6. This is a higher destructive potential than any hurricane observed between 1969 - 2005, including Category 5 storms like Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Camille, and Andrew.

Chumly

Jesus, there really are more trolls than actual posters here. Get a grip, guys, this isn't the Breaking Bad thread.

As Nate observed this week, Obama is leading in the tracking poll average.

Well we have nothing better to do than troll ourselves

How many times do hurricanes in the Caribbean collide with a strong cold front from canada, and do so during the full moon?

In some regions a 6 foot surge is big floods, and 9 foot storm surge is considered devastating.

Theyre expected 13+

Amir0x

Banned
Chumly said:
Well we have nothing better to do than troll ourselves

i find it hilarious

it's 2012 and we have websites specifically dedicated to gathering all the data points so these sort of variations are less important, but certain sky fallers are still intent on utilizing one 'headline' poll to try to persuade everyone the world is different then the combination of 12 polls instead of 1.

I am not the least bit worried about November 6.

i find it hilarious

it's 2012 and we have websites specifically dedicated to gathering all the data points so these sort of variations are less important, but certain sky fallers are still intent on utilizing one 'headline' poll to try to persuade everyone the world is different then the combination of 12 polls instead of 1.

I am not the least bit worried about November 6.

Yep.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I hate to say but these national polls have me a bit worried. Now I know that state polls are what is important but just getting a little uneasy. Is there a site that tracks all national polls?

Clevinger

I hate to say but these national polls have me a bit worried. Now I know that state polls are what is important but just getting a little uneasy. Is there a site that tracks all national polls?

talkingpointsmemo and realclearpolitics

first site is left leaning, second is right leaning

Cloudy

Banned
Wow, I just saw a clip of Mandel calling Brown a liar to his face in a debate. Terrible politics cos folks don't like that

gcubed

Priorities2012 is basically run by Stalin himself so we can throw it out

meh, they paid for it, who did it? It doesn't matter who pays for a poll from a respected polling firm, they dont change the weighting

talkingpointsmemo and realclearpolitics

first site is left leaning, second is right leaning

calling RCP right leaning is generous. There are plenty of aggregate sites that don't ignore polls

gkryhewy

How many times do hurricanes in the Caribbean collide with a strong cold front from canada, and do so during the full moon?

In some regions a 6 foot surge is big floods, and 9 foot storm surge is considered devastating.

Theyre expected 13+

Interestingly, the current forecast is for barely a blip of flooding in Philadelphia. Irene last year was worse.

padp1_hg.png

Cloudy

Banned

Pollster.com is the best. They take ALL polls. RCP is a right-wing site and they exclude a lot of polls. TPM does some weird stuff with poll delay

markatisu

LOL @ a poll showing MN tightening, has anyone ever been to MN?!?! With the exception of Bachmann's district the whole state is almost unanimously blue or at the worst moderate.

I would believe WI or IA would turn red before I believe MN would turn red and IA and WI are not turning red.

Chumly

The storm is dangerous because its unheard of for the area its going to hit. An October storm with this type of storm surge and wind field is record breaking. We know its not going to have the concentrated winds like Caribbean storms but it is most likely going to be devastating.

Wow, I just saw a clip of Mandel calling Brown a liar to his face in a debate. Terrible politics cos folks don't like that
What a disaster. Seriously, this guy has been falling upwards his entire life. Very decorated military service, House of Representatives, treasurer. He must have friends in high places because dude seems like an incompetent child. Even republicans like ToxicAdam can vote for him

OmniOne

So I was looking at 538 and noticed the model has an outcome of obama winning 332 EV's with a 16% probability, which is higher than any other outcome. How's is his model seeing that when it is currently projecting Romney as most likely to win Florida. Shouldn't 303 be the highest probability considering the current projection?

gcubed

Interestingly, the current forecast is for barely a blip of flooding in Philadelphia. Irene last year was worse.

padp1_hg.png

i think we established that Philly will have no problems. The sustained wind seems to be higher and for a longer period of time than Irene, but it seems to be much less rain/water

Chumly

i think we established that Philly will have no problems. The sustained wind seems to be higher and for a longer period of time than Irene, but it seems to be much less rain/water

The biggest problem will be the storm surge which should be significantly more than Irene's and over a much bigger area.

Okay, now this storm is pissing me off. As cold as this might be, why the fuck couldn't' this shit hit in the middle of November? The future of the country is at stake FFS!

heh i like how the second I mention this, a good poll comes out for Obama in Virginia.

Using the chicken little scenario

welp this race is over Obama has won Virginia he could win the white house without Ohio if he has virginia coloroda homg
I'm usially quite the pessimist but the facts are that Obama is leading in every poll for those swing states that e actually needs. Thats all I need to know.

heh i like how the second I mention this, a good poll comes out for Obama in Virginia.

Using the chicken little scenario

welp this race is over Obama has won Virginia he could win the white house without Ohio if he has virginia coloroda homg

but virginia is going to be washed away by the storm of the century a week before the election! A week isn't enough time for dems to get to the polls!

might as well just give romney the nomination right now.

markatisu

I know we are all laughing at the storm scenario, but can you imagine the delicious tears if the older GOP voters decide to stay home because they are unenthused over Romney and the bad weather. Romney ends up losing even worse then he already will

that flood prediction for the major river in Philly is much less than irene

I had this discussion yesterday. Sandy is far less of a threat than Irene, Floyd, OR Gloria- all of which did jack shit to the infrastructure/power grid.

at worst it's a couple of downed trees, mostly in the burbs which (surprise!) lean R.

But some people insist on being brainwashed by their local news and think this is going to be the katrina of the northeast.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I figure I ask you guys here. Me and a co-worker briefly discuss politics and pretty much knew he was a republican. Anyways he was trying to tell me some bs about the federal reserve. How it is corrupt or privately owned and wants to get rid of it. He wanted me to watch this youtube film called The American Dream. Don't know much about the reserve and from past briefly reading isn't this some conspiracy theory that right has come up with?

The fact that Obama doesn't even need either Ohio or Virginia anymore to have a viable path to 270 makes me much more comfortable too. Just holding on to Iowa, Colorado, and New Hampshire alone are enough.

gcubed

I had this discussion yesterday. Sandy is far less of a threat than Irene, Floyd, OR Gloria- all of which did jack shit to the infrastructure/power grid.

at worst it's a couple of downed trees, mostly in the burbs which (surprise!) lean R.

But some people insist on being brainwashed by their local news and think this is going to be the katrina of the northeast.

i was so overprepared for irene that im soured on preparation for sandy. I can walk to multiple bars and grocery stores. I have batteries and will charge everything but, meh. I'll be drinking, my boss sent me an email to work from home M/Tue because i take a trolley to work... which doesnt play nice high winds

Amir0x

Banned
but virginia is going to be washed away by the storm of the century a week before the election! A week isn't enough time for dems to get to the polls!

might as well just give romney the nomination right now.

the nomination? he already has the nomination!

oh shit does that mean the streams have crossed after Hurricane Sandy!?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I figure I ask you guys here. Me and a co-worker briefly discuss politics and pretty much knew he was a republican. Anyways he was trying to tell me some bs about the federal reserve. How it is corrupt or privately owned and wants to get rid of it. He wanted me to watch this youtube film called The American Dream. Don't know much about the reserve and from past briefly reading isn't this some conspiracy theory that right has come up with?

Republican crying about something that is privately owned? lol

sounds like a ron paul faux-libertarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom