• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most people aren't voting for Romney. They're voting against Obama.

speaking of anti-romney macros, i've seen this one get play quite a bit

vY2iI.jpg

Mostly from the libertarian sect, a lot of whom are made out of former McCain and Obama supporters in my social circle, and drifted towards Paul and Johnson.

If you're anti-Catholic but not anti-Mormon then you have cognitive dissonance issues.

And re: the Romney/Kerry comparison, one of them is a Vietnam vet, the other one was a fierce pro-Vietnam War demonstrator who dodged the draft and ended up being a religious missionary in France during the Vietnam war.

Most people aren't voting for Romney. They're voting against Obama.

I'm perfectly aware of that. This was just a little anecdote that, at least among my friends, Romney is so rubbish that they can't even bring them to vote for him as an anti-Obama vote, and one is so disgusted with him and the Republican party at the moment that he' strongly considering voting Obama.

Veitsev

If you're anti-Catholic but not anti-Mormon then you have cognitive dissonance issues.

No shit! Its just insane what I have been hearing the past 4 years. You hate the President because he is a secret Muslim but someone who is openly Mormon isn't a big deal. I am not religious so I don't care but if you are going to be a bigot at least be consistent!

Cloudy

Banned
I will not be attending thanksgiving because this individual cannot keep his mouth shut at any family event and everyone is too reluctant to call out his bullshit because they don't want to rock the boat.

Family > Politics. Why not go and ignore political discussions? Especially if Obama wins and you get to taste bitter tears :)

The question isn't whether some Dems will cross the isle and help Romney pass legislation if he wins. You have Mary Landrieu, Max Baucus, Mark Pryor and Kay Hagan all up for reelection in 2014. They will definitely pass watered down conservative bills. They don't have problems with tax cuts. The question becomes whether Harry Reid threatens them with no more funding from the Democratic Senate Campaign coffers.

There is also the question of whether 40 Democrats will stand up and filibuster and place holds on everything. The Republicans could retake the Senate if they wanted to, and they probably will in 2014, but as we now know 60 is the new 50. And the last time Republicans had a super majority in the Senate was never. I would be interested if the Senate would let us go over the cliff if Romney won.

Diablos

Diablos brings up a great point guys. Has there been anyone - either at the government or university level - studying solutions to how to cast and count ballots without the use of electricity? You'd think this would be a top priority for a nation reliant on local and national voting procedures?
Heh.

Sandy is supposed to hover over Central PA for quite some time. Lots of rural areas with sketchy electricity stability. I know some people out that way, pretty worried about them.

And it's true -- what happens when there's no power for the voting machines? Do we just write these people off? If, for example, Central PA (which is heavily Republican) still has no power on the 6th, you can rest assured the state government (which is all GOP right now) will step in and complain about votes not being represented due to a natural disaster.

Given the magnitude of this storm, I find it hard to believe most people will be able to shrug it off in a week. Furthermore, people who aren't totally engaged this election cycle who find that by mid-week their home/town/whatever is in ruins or at least in terrible condition may totally forget about the 6th.

Even if this isn't a total doomsday scenario, up to 10 mil people without power for at least 7 days is a big deal. Lots of priorities get jumbled. Voting in an election might be tossed aside. In an already close race, this is the last thing we need.

In such a scenario I would hope the state legislatures of the states involved (i.e. Virginia, PA, NY, parts of NE) will agree to extend voting beyond the 6th if it's so bad it has forced people to relocate or have other responsibilities that get in the way of their right to vote. This could be a huge mess.

And leave it to the GOP to capitalize on a disaster/tragedy for political gain -- it's their M.O. Romney did it when Americans died overseas, so he'll do it here too. Hold on to yer butts.

Veitsev

Family > Politics. Why not go and ignore political discussions? Especially if Obama wins and you get to taste bitter tears

Because I just don't care anymore. He has been told repeatedly by family members not to bring up politics and won't stop. Its to the point where I sincerely think he is trying to instigate things. This isn't the first time things have gotten heated in this way but this was by far the biggest blow up. I understand what you are saying but I am just fed up with the whole thing and will be spending my time in more productive ways. I have other family I can spend Thanksgiving with.

speaking of anti-romney macros, i've seen this one get play quite a bit

vY2iI.jpg

Mostly from the libertarian sect, a lot of whom are made out of former McCain and Obama supporters in my social circle, and drifted towards Paul and Johnson.
So if Romney is Kerry does that mean the republicans answer to Obama is coming in 2016 to transform this country? The true antichrist?

SmokeMaxX

Heh.

Sandy is supposed to hover over Central PA for quite some time. Lots of rural areas with sketchy electricity stability. I know some people out that way, pretty worried about them.

And it's true -- what happens when there's no power for the voting machines? Do we just write these people off? If, for example, Central PA (which is heavily Republican) still has no power on the 6th, you can rest assured the state government (which is all GOP right now) will step in and complain about votes not being represented due to a natural disaster.

Given the magnitude of this storm, I find it hard to believe most people will be able to shrug it off in a week. Furthermore, people who aren't totally engaged this election cycle who find that by mid-week their home/town/whatever is in ruins or at least in terrible condition may totally forget about the 6th.

Even if this isn't a total doomsday scenario, up to 10 mil people without power for at least 7 days is a big deal. Lots of priorities get jumbled. Voting in an election might be tossed aside. In an already close race, this is the last thing we need.

In such a scenario I would hope the state legislatures of the states involved (i.e. Virginia, PA, NY, parts of NE) will agree to extend voting beyond the 6th if it's so bad it has forced people to relocate or have other responsibilities that get in the way of their right to vote. This could be a huge mess.

And leave it to the GOP to capitalize on a disaster/tragedy for political gain -- it's their M.O. Hold on to yer butts.

I'm curious if the GOTV machine will start driving people to vote if a lot of people are still without power/transportation on election day. If I were up there, I'd consider it.

teiresias

I called it.

You can't get a good national poll if the northeast is out of power. Nor poll a state there.

We're going to be the dark, guys. Someone hold me.

Although, that dude is saying it cuz their office is in NJ. Still, I wonder how reliable results can be if there's major power outages from the storm.

Landline phones don't use power from your homes regular power system so they usually work when the power goes out.

Heh.

And leave it to the GOP to capitalize on a disaster/tragedy for political gain -- it's their M.O. Romney did it when Americans died overseas, so he'll do it here too. Hold on to yer butts.

Fuuuuuuuu as if I wasn't freaked out enough already. Diablos, when 11/6 arrives and Romney wins the Presidency due to Sandy, you and I will have to hunker down because lord only knows what will be in store for those of us who supported Obama. I'm expecting some scary shit. Rights being taken away. DADT being brought back. Health care being repealed and in its place a 100% private enterprise where you have to pay not only to see a doctor but to even sit in the waiting room. Dodd-Frank will be repealed. School loan reform will be dead. Romney will be able to choose two new SCOTUS appointees including for Ginsburgh. This storm will be the beginning of the end for us as a nation. I am terrified.

Diablos

Fuuuuuuuu as if I wasn't freaked out enough already. Diablos, when 11/6 arrives and Romney wins the Presidency due to Sandy, you and I will have to hunker down because lord only knows what will be in store for those of us who supported Obama. I'm expecting some scary shit. Rights being taken away. DADT being brought back. Health care being repealed and in its place a 100% private enterprise where you have to pay not only to see a doctor but to even sit in the waiting room. Dodd-Frank will be repealed. School loan reform will be dead. Romney will be able to choose two new SCOTUS appointees including for Ginsburgh. This storm will be the beginning of the end for us as a nation. I am terrified.
Are you my troll buddy from a certain chat room?

If not, he stole some of your material. Be proud :D

I did not say this means an automatic Romney win but if people cannot vote because their homes were destroyed, or even because something as simple as their polling place has no power/is in ruins, there's gonna be a fucking uproar.

AniHawk

it's a good point though- wouldn't the areas most devastated by a storm be the ones kinda out of the way and rural in general?

i'm not reveling in the idea that a storm may take out romney's base's ability to vote for him. i'm just thinking if it did hurt anyone, it would probably be romney.

plus, what are republicans going to do? have 'late' voting? was that in the constitution?

Christie/Santorum 2016

Nice.

I'm thinking that they will go the "minority" running mate route. A hispanic running mate might be a clever move for them (for either party, actually). If they're worried about alienating some elements of the base, they can certainly pick somebody who doesn't fit with the more common stereotypes of the group (I'm not sure what they are, but I'm sure that there's a checklist somewhere).

Diablos

it's a good point though- wouldn't the areas most devastated by a storm be the ones kinda out of the way and rural in general?

i'm not reveling in the idea that a storm may take out romney's base's ability to vote for him. i'm just thinking if it did hurt anyone, it would probably be romney.

plus, what are republicans going to do? have 'late' voting? was that in the constitution?
That's my question. What happens when voting is negatively impacted on a pretty large scale due to a state of emergency? Has this ever happened before?

If all the counties in Central PA get together and can prove that a bunch of people could not vote, period, because of power issues or being out of a home and dealing with an emergency, what happens? We seriously write them off?

Obama was the challenging party's keynote speaker when Kerry lost. Wouldn't it be logical to look at the challenging party's keynote speaker now?

Christie

I'm starting to seriously doubt Christie's chances. He has pissed off some of the Romney people with his selfish RNC speech and blatant doubting of Romney's candidacy; while Romney won't play a role in the party if he loses, his campaign folks will, and they just might have a bone to grind.

Also his weight has to be an issue. I'm not sure Americans would elect such a morbidly obese man, even if he was the de facto most qualified candidate. He's going to have to show some self discipline and lose some pounds...

Finally, his abrasive attitude may make many republicans cheer but I wonder how that would play in more reserved states like Iowa during the primaries. Plus as a NJ guy, he'll have trouble in South Carolina. Christie is a very talented politician, but he has some flaws he needs to address. I'd imagine there are many serious operatives who are waiting for him to show that he's serious.

HylianTom

Banned

That's what I've been saying. Downed trees blocking roads, swollen/flooded streams - these are things that happen more out in rural areas. The GOP's base of voters is more rural, and have to travel much farther than the Dem's base of voters. The GOP's base is more car-dependent, while the Dem's base - while still car-centric - has plenty of people who can simply walk/bike/streetcar/bus to their polls.

I can hear the GOP crying already. The cities are going to get power back first, too.

SmokeMaxX

Nice.

I'm thinking that they will go the "minority" running mate route. A hispanic running mate might be a clever move for them (for either party, actually). If they're worried about alienating some elements of the base, they can certainly pick somebody who doesn't fit with the more common stereotypes of the group (I'm not sure what they are, but I'm sure that there's a checklist somewhere).

If Clinton runs, she wins no questions asked. I can't see anyone willing to risk their political lives running against her unless it's their last shot.

The question about 2016 will be who will have the money. And that short list is:

Christie - NJ and the financial industry
Perry - Texas oil men
Bush - The old guard network that his family has used for generations

No one else is going to raise the cash these guys will. And those that don't have to go the Obama/Santorum route and make a Hail Mary in Iowa with what little cash they do have.

Diablos

The question about 2016 will be who will have the money. And that short list is:

Christie - NJ and the financial industry
Perry - Texas oil men
Bush - The old guard network that his family has used for generations

No one else is going to raise the cash these guys will. And those that don't have to go the Obama/Santorum route and make a Hail Mary in Iowa with what little cash they do have.
Romney could also be the sitting President in four years, and none of this shit will matter.

I'm thinking Obama has it at this point but the blind enthusiasm in this thread never fails to amaze.

So big I had to put it in quotes.

Different time. I doubt someone like that could be elected today. Especially someone as volatile as Christie. He's like the sterotypical fat guy who compensates by being cocky, loud, and angry

plus NJ isn't doing too well

Diablos

You know what amazes me? Your ability to spin shit out of gold.
You're absolutely right. Up to 10 million people without power leading up to election day is so fucking trivial! Let's go back to the fantasyland where it's November 7th and we are speculating who the GOP will run against Hillary in 2016.

Debates don't matter, storms don't matter, perhaps votes don't either!

You're absolutely right. Up to 10 million people without power leading up to election day is so fucking trivial! Let's go back to the fantasyland where it's November 7th and we are speculating who the GOP will run against Hillary in 2016.

Debates don't matter, storms don't matter, perhaps votes don't either!

Diablos have you ever been in a hurricane? Guess what happen earlier this year in Louisiana? We had the pleasure of experiencing Issac. You know how long power was out? 36-60 hours depending where you live. Some didn't even lose power. Now go wet the bed over something else.

let's go back to fantasyland where romney's voters are somehow more likely to go to the polls in the aftermath of DEATHSTORM 2012

The main reason it may affect Obama more is that minority/poor voters are more likely to rely on Public Transport to get to the voting places. They are more likely to be adversely affected by storms and displacement.

Was it eBay Huckster who surmised that after Obama won reelection this Polligaf would devolve into a frenzied panic over whether the electors would elect Obama or not? Because as we get closer I can totally see that panic firewall being baked in.

The main reason it may affect Obama more is that minority/poor voters are more likely to rely on Public Transport to get to the voting places. They are more likely to be adversely affected by storms and displacement.

right, except the 'alabama' portion of pennsylvania is significantly more likely than philly to be adversely affected for more than a couple days.

Was it eBay Huckster who surmised that after Obama won reelection this Polligaf would devolve into a frenzied panic over whether the electors would elect Obama or not? Because as we get closer I can totally see that panic firewall being baked in.

i'm like this thread's version of the onion and this thread's posters are like the GOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom