• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Don't you guys watch baseball? Nate (well, more like Nate-and-co) caused the same upheaval in that sport.

That would be apropos considering Nate got his start in baseball statistics. My boss' brother is the Director of Decision Sciences for the Houston Astros (a new hire, btw) and he fights constantly with scouts. Mostly old people who "trust their gut" and "use their eyes."

I'm going through his Poblano posts on Kos and it's funny to see how far he's come since then.

Almost five years later and it still applies today!

National polls don't matter!

HylianTom

Banned
Obama's not just running for Obamacare, Keynesian economics, gay marriage and abortion. Now he's running for SCIENCE.
Oh but yes. It should be every voter's basic requirement that the candidate that earns their vote makes his/her decisions based on reality.. not fairy tales or pie-in-the-sky corporate-based wishful thinking.

"nate isn't predicting my guy to win, so he is wrong"

just start calling republicans alternate reality people

Nate going against media narrative, that's why some of these media figures are piling on him.

Fuckers, his model doesn't say Obama will get 75% popular vote (which is what Joe Scarbitch apparently thinks it says).

3rdman

The problem the right (at present) have with Silver is that it's factual meaning that they can't "interpret" the data for us. This is also the problem with the media whose paychecks rely on stringing this shit along until the last minute.

Averon

The GOP hates Nate because his model shows a healthy Obama victory (other models show similar results, but Nate's the most high profile of them all, thus, he gets most of their ire), and him being an admitted Obama supporter certainly doesn't help. The political punditry hates him because he's a threat to 'gut political instincts', which is all the pundits live by.

Will be interesting to see their reactions once Nate nails it again next Tuesday.

Diablos

Everyone is beating up on Nate Silver, weird. He's just one dude. Why have such an agenda against him?

Atlantic City already looks fucked, who knows what will happen after 8PM

Fuck the mainstream media, all of them. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

witness

Actually Orange county did go blue...But you are right. Living in Downtown Orlando was an interesting experience once you drove 20 minutes in any direction...Deland....Ugh...

Fucking Romney signs everywhere. I just don't understand how they don't get that they are the 47% Romney doesnt give a shit about. Its so infuriating.

or the beginning of a trend
Oh I see how it is. So when Obama is up 51-47 in VA, it's a "ridiculous outlier," but when one poll in MA showis Brown over Warren, it could be the beginning of a trend? Tell me, dear, what has happened in MA in the past month to reverse Brown's chances?

Come on, Clevinget.

markatisu

The problem the right (at present) have with Silver is that it's factual meaning that they can't "interpret" the data for us. This is also the problem with the media whose paychecks rely on stringing this shit along until the last minute.

Yup that is exactly it, his stats remove the ability for them to create a narrative to drive Ratings

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think James Poniewozik has it right about much of the media's disdain (if not outright contempt) directed at Nate Silver and the other polling-based prediction models: the notion of being able to predict an election based purely on statistics, rather than on "savvy," goes against the fundamentals of horse-race political punditry, and thus they see him on some level as a threat to their livelihoods.
It's telling how much faith the punditocracy places in gut instinct and conventional beltway wisdom (for example, David Brooks, the largest purveyor of conventional wisdom) over facts and empirical knowledge. After all, they did not become popular by being right. They become popular by being clever. So it's no surprise that they would feel contempt for something that would challenge their claim to wisdom. That Politico article makes clear that the writer doesn't even understand what 538 does. That's why I like Ezra Klein. He may not be the best writer, but in some sense that's a virtue. His analysis is instead based upon painstaking fact-checking and wonkery. It makes for a much more compelling read than the pundit ideal of saying whatever you want as long as it sounds wise and superficially well-reasoned.

jbug617

Banned
Oh I see how it is. So when Obama is up 51-47 in VA, it's a "ridiculous outlier," but when one poll in MA showis Brown over Warren, it could be the beginning of a trend? Tell me, dear, what has happened in MA in the past month to reverse Brown's chances?

Come on, Clevinget.

Scott Brown running so many ads in MA.

saelz8

I think come election day either way = Silver wins.
Yes, for reasonable people. Unfortunately, the narrative won't be that. There's an article on Politico today hedging "Nates Celebrity" on an Obama win, ignoring 24.4% for Romney not being 0%. Projection is no guarantee of anything, but people won't care.

HylianTom

Banned
If Silver nails another election.. hoo, man, is he going to be in the spotlight - more than even now. I expect right-wing copycats and lots of attempts to "game" the numbers by each side in future elections. This whole area has fascinating implications.

Everyone is beating up on Nate Silver, weird. He's just one dude. Why have such an agenda against him?

Because people are going to go to people like him for election coverage so they don't have to hear the BS coming out of CNN, FOX and MSNBC and just get facts

If Silver nails another election.. hoo, man, is he going to be in the spotlight - more than even now. I expect right-wing copycats and lots of attempts to "game" the numbers by each side in future elections. This whole area has fascinating implications.

How can you game nate's system? Doesn't it weight on how you did in the last elections? He's gonna see if your changing things up.

thefro

What's really amazing is how much dumber the pundits/political blowhards are than the baseball folks pre-sabermetrics.

I guess the difference is the baseball guys eventually get fired if they don't perform. If the political guys get it wrong there's so few elections that they can blame their failures on something else and everyone forgets it in 2 years. And of course, driving ratings or your candidate's narrative is more important than getting it right.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Because people are going to go to people like him for election coverage so they don't have to hear the BS coming out of CNN, FOX and MSNBC and just get facts

Pretty much, you can't spin Silver's shit so it does no good for the Wolf Blitzers of the world. You can't argue your candidate is going to when when the numbers say the opposite, no one can "work the laces" anymore if Silver's modeling ideas take off. Election coverage will have to start from scratch, can't focus on the outlier anymore.

Atlantic City already looks fucked, who knows what will happen after 8PM

Fuck the mainstream media, all of them. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Media people hate Nate because he makes a lot of their jobs obsolete

Chuck Todd is a clown now

HylianTom

Banned
He is a conservative Republican. You know how they are with science (Evolution, climate change, how lady parts work, etc.).
Mmm.. My favorite form of mockery when it comes to shaming friends and family: the anti-science label. Especially if they're sci-if or pop-science fans or geeks of any type. The mental gymnastics that are involved in those cases are remarkable.

Cloudy

Banned
To be fair, if Obama loses, there will be some on the left turning on Silver too. I just hope he nails it and gets a ton of coverage

daedalius

Gotta attack the statistician for abiding by his mathematical model for predictions.

GO WITH DAT GUT FEELING (also he's a celebrity now!)

snacknuts

we all knew her
I don't understand why Nate Silver is getting so much more attention now than he did in 2008. I was checking it every day back then, same as now.

HylianTom

Banned
To be fair, if Obama loses, there will be some on the left turning on Silver too. I just hope he nails it and gets a ton of coverage
You can bet that Silver's gotta be nervous as hell approaching The Day. So many people have hung their hopes on his words, his analysis. He's kept a lot of people sane.

When Ohio is called for Bams, I'll be sending some positive thoughts his way. Without him, I'd even even go so far as to theorize that the Democratic web base (and, by extension, all the folks we reach out and pass-on Nate's education to in our own lives) would have been much more demoralized going into these final days. In the end, he may have moved the needle a bit.. dun dun dunnnnnnn!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For Silver's model to be wrong all of the state polls would have to be more inaccurate than anyone could ever have predicted - there would literally need to be some confounding factor like Hispanics who don't respond to polls voting uniformly for Romney for whatever reason.

Alot of what Nate does is also help get rid of the multiple narratives dynamic we have now. The bubble of the right wing (mittmentum) and the false horse race of CNN and the mainstream stations. If modeling takes off it reduces "electoral analysis" to reading charts without all the subjectivity and BS that the networks love to throw in.
I don't understand why Nate Silver is getting so much more attention now than he did in 2008. I was checking it every day back then, same as now.
He's now printed in the times weekly. He has a non-internet audience.

You can bet that Silver's gotta be nervous as hell approaching The Day. So many people have hung their hopes on his words, his analysis. He's kept a lot of people sane.

When Ohio is called for Bams, I'll be sending some positive thoughts his way. Without him, I'd even even go so far as to theorize that the Democratic web base (and, by extension, all the folks we reach out and pass-on Nate's education to in our own lives) would have been much more demoralized going into these final days. In the end, he may have moved the needle a bit.. dun dun dunnnnnnn!

I don't think he's that nervous nor should we be. This isn't just him randomly picking states. This is basing his predictions and models off hundreds of state polls.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Because republicans were resigned to Obama winning in 2008.

Nate getting this election right won't mean much, yet.

Look how long it took baseball to finally adapt to new stats. Same thing is going on in basketball, as well. It takes time for the change-over. Too many older people stuck in their ways.

Obama winning as Silver predicts (as well as princeton, etc) simply adds to the wall crumbling. Might take another 2 major election cycles but it will just help the movement.

Paches

Look how long it took baseball to finally adapt to new stats. Same thing is going on in basketball, as well. It takes time for the change-over. Too many older people stuck in their ways.

Obama winning as Silver predicts (as well as princeton, etc) simply adds to the wall crumbling. Might take another 2 major election cycles but it will just help the movement.

And a lot of baseball writers STILL take wins in to account in determining the Cy Young winner, although the winners as of the past few years have had fewer and fewer win totals (Felix and Grinke).

Amir0x

Banned
This. So much this. Just one more week.

And what's amazing is just how locked in this all is now. Obama has been massively ahead in early voting in Iowa, Ohio, Nevada... so it's Romney who has to make up lost ground on election day. And I don't know how the heck he does it considering the average of all Ohio polls since the START OF THIS ELECTION (that is, way back even at January 2012) have all been positive Obama... never once, not even one day, has Obama not been in the lead. That should tell you all you need to know about Romney's fight.

Joe Treutlein ‏@Hoopdata
Love to see all the sports people I follow defend @fivethirtyeight so passionately. Sad there's even something to defend against.

Heh. (basketball stats guy)

John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger
Re: Nate Silver, most amusing thing about this election is watching political pundits make sports fans look like PhD mathematicians.

Also basketball stats guy.

LosDaddie

Banned
Fucking Romney signs everywhere. I just don't understand how they don't get that they are the 47% Romney doesnt give a shit about. Its so infuriating.

EVERYWHERE. And it's about 8:1 Romney to Obama signs in my neighborhood.

I think my favorite billboard is the one showing gas prices, with Obama bowing to the Saudi guy :lol

Darkgran

And what's amazing is just how locked in this all is now. Obama has been massively ahead in early voting in Iowa, Ohio, Nevada... so it's Romney who has to make up lost ground on election day. And I don't know how the heck he does it considering the average of all Ohio polls since the START OF THIS ELECTION (that is, way back even at January 2012) have all been positive Obama... never once, not even one day, has Obama not been in the lead. That should tell you all you need to know about Romney's fight.

Bingo....

I have been saying this forever.

Yup. I think if he nails it again this year you're gonna see him start to be ignored in an attempt to make him go away. The only thing is the internet is only going to become more important and his influence will only grow, slow and steady.

Everything seems to be moving to model based predictions, Sports, Economics, Politics. With computers as powerful as they are its just easy to through numbers into it and see it spit out a nice easy prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom