• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Yeah, I would much prefer a 300+ EV domination. Part of me would love to see Obama win by a super-slim margin, just because I want the hatemongers to really and truly suffer, but a blowout would be a much better referendum on their bullshit.

The party that created the debt ceiling crisis, made a mockery of Senate procedure, and set political discourse in this country back fifty years deserves nothing better than to be ground completely into dust.

Cloudy

Banned
It's one thing for the GOP to question Obama's legitimacy but you don't want the media doing that too. The bigger the margin in EV and popular vote, the better. I do not want to read stories about Obama squeaking by or surviving the will of the people...

So nice living in San Francisco, were I don't have to personally deal with Republican idiocy on a daily basis. My co-workers don't even discuss politics and just get on with their lives. The non-Democrats are usually libertarians (lol). So all my political anxieties come from the internet.

That said, I can't wait for this to be over. I hope Romney gets curbstomped on Nov 6.

SmokeMaxX

It's one thing for the GOP to question Obama's legitimacy but you don't want the media doing that too. The bigger the margin in EV and popular vote, the better

Yeah, you don't want Fox News questioning Obama's legitimacy.

On another note, I have no idea how you post so much in this thread. You're like a posting wizard.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Naw, a soul stealing buzzer beater to win by 1 >>> a blowout.
No, you don't get it. A one point loss is heartbreaking, but nothing is more disorienting, disheartening, and outright soul-crushing as a team that thinks themselves to be the overwhelming favorite getting absolutely destroyed on the field in every aspect of the game.

That's what needs to happen.

Odrion

Banned
A reenactment of the final battle from "Ghost" between Romney and the unfairly-politicized-spirit of Sean Smith would be the best way to end the election.

No, you don't get it. A one point loss is heartbreaking, but nothing is more disorienting, disheartening, and outright soul-crushing as a team that thinks themselves to be the overwhelming favorite getting absolutely destroyed on the field in every aspect of the game.

Nothing will be more awesome than all the Pundits, Unksewers, Romney BS proven horribly wrong.

And only PPP, Quinn, Time, etc good polls proven right.

Hard to take anything from the national polls. Especially RAND which requires online response seeing as how a lot of people don't have power right now and I doubt they're rushing to do their RAND survey.

SmokeMaxX

rand just a little over five points.

both intention to vote dropped and are near the same amount. obummer still +50%

I'm not sure if +50% on RAND means anything since it's essentially the same sample size every week. The trends would be more important. If the sample had an Obama bias, it could potentially always show +50% even if Obama is moving up or down relative to the entire nation (or swing states).

This. They need some reality slapped into them. And they need to realize the nativeism, anti science, homophobia, and christian uber alles shtick just won't work anymore.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't post much in poligaf threads but i do lurk a lot during elections and i do have to say that the bad news meme is really annoying.

SmokeMaxX

i don't post much in poligaf threads but i do lurk a lot during elections and i do have to say that the bad news meme is really annoying.
22809168.jpg

Sorry, I had to

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

No it isn't its awesome other than the fact its totally misleading and a meme version of Poe's law since people not regularly posting actually assume its bad news for Obama

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, I think we can all agree this is going to be a long seven days no matter what. All the more reason why I want Obama to win, so when you go on political blackout afterwards, it feels good.

What the hell are you talking about? You don't go on black out, you head straight for GOP forums to gloat/revel in their misery.

(I do this when the Chargers win playoff games, but obviously not recently. I black the fuck out when they lose playoff games)

SmokeMaxX

Any speculation on the impact of the hurricane on the election?

It's either going to flip California/Hawaii to Romney, it's going to cause a landslide for Obama, or it's going to do something in between. We've covered all of those options.

Also, tie.

SmokeMaxX

He started that crap yesterday. At this point, shitting on Nate Slver is basically a Republican talking point and Scarborough is just a Republican mouthpiece this close to the election

They really have two options at this point-
1) Look like fools
2) Try to steal the election somehow

There's a possibility that they can still win legitimately, but it'd be super difficult.

Zzoram

If Republicans win big and do massive cuts of federal programs, don't blue states win? They can still do state level social programs, self-funded, while not having to pay for red state social programs anymore. Since blue states are the ones with the money, a shift away from federal social programs would reduce the income redistribution from the blue to red states, leaving more money for the blue states that are making the money.

SmokeMaxX

If Republicans win big and do massive cuts of federal programs, don't blue states win? They can still do state level social programs, self-funded, while not having to pay for red state social programs anymore. Since blue states are the ones with the money, a shift away from federal social programs would reduce the income redistribution from the blue to red states, leaving more money for the blue states that are making the money.

Let me tell you how the blue states lose-
Mitt Romney becomes President and Republicans will get credit for the economy turning around thus making them likely to win 2016.

Zzoram

Let me tell you how the blue states lose-
Mitt Romney becomes President and Republicans will get credit for the economy turning around thus making them likely to win 2016.

That just means another GOP president to cut back more on federal programs and transfer everything back to states, which only allows blue states to keep more of their money and have stronger social programs while red states deteriorate even further as they stop being able to benefit from the federal social programs that redistributed blue state wealth to the red states.

SmokeMaxX

That just means another GOP president to cut back more on federal programs and transfer everything back to states, which only allows blue states to keep more of their money and have stronger social programs while red states deteriorate even further as they stop being able to benefit from the federal social programs that redistributed blue state wealth to the red states.

Eh- if you're gonna go small government, kinda defeats the purpose of voting for a Democrat.

EDIT: Whoops, missed the point of your posts. I'll respond in a sec.

Dear, where do you think a significant chunk of the money to fund the social programs in blue states comes from? Romneycare can only work in Massachusetts because of federal aid. Vermont's path to single-payer is made much easier with funding from ACA. Without it, it'd be much harder to do, if it can be done at all.

SmokeMaxX

I don't think it's in the interest of anyone to have the red states deteriorate even further. Federal money is important in a lot of ways. An interstate, for example, helps state economies a lot.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So, is there any chance this storm is going to be a wakeup call to some Americans? That government has a role to play that no one else can fill? That all the "hard work" and good intentions in the world can't protect you from bad luck? That one day anyone could find themselves in need of a "safety net"?

Or will this storm just be seen as a "sign from God", driving the hardcore religious right to vote out Obama to appease His wrath in answer to this obvious message?

I suspect I'll answer my own question if I head over to RaptureReady.

On a related topic, I note Soledad O'Brien asking the question of state officials (paraphrasing) "Romney says disaster handling and recovery should be managed by the State. Do you think the State could handle this on your own?". The answer so far has been "No".

SmokeMaxX

So, is there any chance this storm is going to be a wakeup call to some Americans? That government has a role to play that no one else can fill? That all the "hard work" and good intentions in the world can't protect you from bad luck? That one day anyone could find themselves in need of a "safety net"?

Or will this storm just be seen as a "sign from God", driving the hardcore religious right to vote out Obama to appease His wrath in answer to this obvious message?

On a related topic, I note Soledad O'Brien asking the question of state officials (paraphrasing) "Romney says disaster handling and recovery should be managed by the State. Do you think the State could handle this on your own?". The answer so far has been "No".

People aren't grateful when something good happens, but all hell breaks loose when something bad happens. It's like being on third base at the blackjack table- if you save the table, noone cares. But as soon as you "make someone lose money," they start complaining like crazy.

ISOM

Considering this storm passed all the red states I don't see any awakening from the right to the proper role of government anytime soon.

hym

Banned

Louisiana delivered McCain an easy victory in 2008 despite what they went through with Katrina under Bush. I'm pretty convinced that a majority of voters on either side don't really grasp what the party they are voting on stands for. Many seem to fear changing their position more than their own situation becoming worse.

Now they got somebody saying a privatized sector and States independently should handle disaster relief and they are still ok with it. If mainstream media picks up that story and really runs with it Romney will come out and say he didn't mean any of it and that he will make FEMA stronger and better.

SmokeMaxX

Louisiana delivered McCain an easy victory in 2008 despite what they went through with Katrina under Bush. I'm pretty convinced that a majority of voters on either side don't really grasp what the party they are voting on stands for. Many seem to fear changing their position more than their own situation becoming worse.

Now they got somebody saying a privatized sector and States independently should handle disaster relief and they are still ok with it. If mainstream media picks up that story and really runs with it Romney will come out and say he didn't mean any of it and that he will make FEMA stronger and better.

He'll do exactly what Obama would do- except he'd also do it while being white.
I'm sure a lot of people are trying to use that angle secretly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom