• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Pretty good considering I doubt they were getting many responses from the NE.

Well, the poll was released yesterday. So the numbers are through sunday before the storm hit. They said they are not releasing the tracking poll today due to the storm.

Philly Power will be out for 7-10 days, ouch

Hopefully doesn't stop them from voting! Looks like 500k people

Lol. Not from around here, I see. PSE&G services new Jersey only.

Philly is PECO.

Edit: 6ABC confirms outages in Philly are about 65,000 out of half a million currently out in their service area. The vast majority are in bucks and Montgomery county, the outlying suburbs.

If Republicans win big and do massive cuts of federal programs, don't blue states win? They can still do state level social programs, self-funded, while not having to pay for red state social programs anymore. Since blue states are the ones with the money, a shift away from federal social programs would reduce the income redistribution from the blue to red states, leaving more money for the blue states that are making the money.

That is a very short term and marginal "win." The deflationary pressure of spending cuts at the federal level will negatively impact blue state economies far worse. All states are dependent on federal government spending. It's where their tax revenue comes from!

Tim-E

Maybe I am wrong, but flooding till now seems to have affected the Urban areas that are Dem strongholds (like Philly) more than rural areas.

If you're just paying attention to the news, they're going to focus their attention on the flooding in cities. Covering the floods in a town of 500 people in rural Pennsylvania isn't very captivating television.

ascii42

If Republicans win big and do massive cuts of federal programs, don't blue states win? They can still do state level social programs, self-funded, while not having to pay for red state social programs anymore. Since blue states are the ones with the money, a shift away from federal social programs would reduce the income redistribution from the blue to red states, leaving more money for the blue states that are making the money.

Depends on what they cut. Republicans don't plan on cutting defense. A large amount of defense money goes into bases in southern states.

pigeon

Banned
How will that affect voter enthusiasm though? I know if my power was out (or if it was raining outside), I'd be much less likely to vote. Well, if it wasn't this important, I would be. But I know a lot of people who don't care that much and would only go if it was convenient. And whatever anyone wants to say, we still need those voters to vote for Obama.

Honestly this argument confuses me. With no power anywhere in the city, people won't be working. We're going to have that election day federal holiday we've been talking about. Except all the fun things people might do instead of voting will ALSO be shut down.

SmokeMaxX

Honestly this argument confuses me. With no power anywhere in the city, people won't be working. We're going to have that election day federal holiday we've been talking about. Except all the fun things people might do instead of voting will ALSO be shut down.

Things being shut down isn't necessary a good thing. If I want to go eat lunch, I might want to go vote along the way. Most of the people here would go vote rain or shine, but the trick to winning the election is getting all those people who DON'T want to waste a trip "just to go vote." I don't think this necessarily matters anywhere the storm hit, but I'm just throwing the point out there.

pigeon

Banned
Things being shut down isn't necessary a good thing. If I want to go eat lunch, I might want to go vote along the way. Most of the people here would go vote rain or shine, but the trick to winning the election is getting all those people who DON'T want to waste a trip "just to go vote." I don't think this necessarily matters anywhere the storm hit, but I'm just throwing the point out there.

But it won't be a wasted trip because they will have literally no other possible activities to do.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Has there been any national poll recently that has Obama winning? This is increasingly looking like my dream scenario of Romney winning popular vote and Obama winning electoral.

Effect

The last thing Christie wants right now is to play tourist guide for Romney, who has no power to do anything.

This. There is no point in him touring anywhere. He isn't president. Hell he isn't even a current sitting governor, senator or a congressman to help direct funds anywhere. It's just a pure photo op if he goes and will just get in the way.

Edit: In eastern PA, Carbon County. No loss of power last night. Plenty of rain and wind though. Lights did flicker for a while but never went out.'

Cheebo

Banned
I see Romney already couldn't help himself and went into campaign mode. Fucking shameless.

He isn't even pretending. It is the same venue (a rally venue) with the same intro acts and everything. He just changed the name to a Hurrican Relief Rally and asked all the people attending the rally to bring a can of soup. It's shameless.

Cheebo

Banned

He is holding his rally today he said he would cancel out of respect to the hurricane efforts, but then last minute last night the campaign decided to go ahead with all their planned rallies. Except they are asking the rally goers to bring cans of soup. Volia! Instantly holding rallies are a-ok again.

WaltJay

Chris Christie: Obama ‘outstanding’ in response to Hurricane Sandy
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/30/chris-christie-obama-outstanding-in-response-to-hurricane-sandy/

“The federal government’s response has been great. I was on the phone at midnight again last night with the President, personally, he has expedited the designation of New Jersey as a major disaster area,” Christie, a top surrogate for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, said on NBC’s “Today.”
He added, “The President has been outstanding in this and so have the folks at FEMA.”
On MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Christie was equally laudatory, saying “the President has been all over this and he deserves great credit.” Obama, he said, “told me to call him if I needed anything and he absolutely means it, and it’s been very good working with the President and his administration.”

Nice to see him not play politics.

Cheebo

Banned
Romney campaign just annouced Ryan will be going back on the trail tomorrow with three rallies (not so-called disaster relief events). Romney campaign's hurricane truce is done and over.

pigeon

Banned
Has there been any national poll recently that has Obama winning? This is increasingly looking like my dream scenario of Romney winning popular vote and Obama winning electoral.

There was just one yesterday, not to mention multiple trackers. Most of the trackers have been moving upwards.

Tim-E

He is holding his rally today he said he would cancel out of respect to the hurricane efforts, but then last minute last night the campaign decided to go ahead with all their planned rallies. Except they are asking the rally goers to bring cans of soup. Volia! Instantly holding rallies are a-ok again.

Classy!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Swear to god if he doesn't get called out on this bullshit...

I had a weird dream last night where I was somehow forced to volunteer on election day.

An electronic voting machine malfunctioned - those little paper rolls that print out your votes as you cast them burst open - and I ended up throwing away hundreds of ballots.

Cheebo

Banned
There was just one yesterday, not to mention multiple trackers. Most of the trackers have been moving upwards.

? Gallup and Rasmussen haven't moved at all. Same with PPP yesterday. Ruters/Ipsos and RAND moved slightly to Romney yesterday Only one from yesterday to show any Obama movement I believe was ABC which Obama gained 1 to put the race into a tie. I think that covers all the daily trackers to my knowledge.

FyreWulff

1) People should actually see how they're processing the cans (sending themselves? Via Red Cross?)

2) I bet the Secret Service is just fucking HAPPY that Romney just told people to bring a bunch of metal enclosed objects near him.

I had a weird dream last night where I was somehow forced to volunteer on election day.

An electronic voting machine malfunctioned - those little paper rolls that print out your votes as you cast them burst open - and I ended up throwing away hundreds of ballots.

I actually got drafted to work this election, but I haven't gotten a call yet. I'm guessing they ended up not needing me.

Tim-E

My prediction for the "relief event" from yesterday wasn't too far off:

I hope this "Storm Relief Event" has a giant printed banner behind Romney that reads "STOP OBAMA'S ECONOMIC STORM" while Romney gives his stump speech next to stacks of canned goods.

So is this storm kind of the opposite of Irene?

Irene largely spared the coastal urban areas but fucked up the inland rural areas.

It looks like Sandy fucked up the big cities and the coast pretty bad but wasn't too terrible outside the metro areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom