• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

From Political Wire:

Mike Allen: "As the presidential campaigns gingerly navigate the post-landfall environment, Mitt Romney has the more awkward and hazardous path. President Obama has been doing his day job, has a natural platform and can command a national audience at any moment. Romney, who felt he was surfing a wave of momentum, has to find a way to keep campaigning in states that weren't affected, without looking cheap or opportunistic. At 11 a.m., per Romney's schedule, he 'will attend a storm relief event at the James S. Trent Arena in Kettering, Ohio, where he will be joined by Richard Petty and Randy Owen.' This is risky business. If Romney is as capable of presidential mien as his advisers think, it will show. The downside could be devastating."

"Romney has to avoid anything reminiscent of one of the campaign's most cringe-worthy moments, when Paul Ryan breezed through a soup kitchen in Youngstown, Ohio, after the homeless patrons had left for the morning, put on a crispy-white apron and scrubbed a pot that appeared to the pool to already be clean. (Charity officials later clarified that it was dirty.) Romney has the chance to draw on his years as a Mormon bishop to show he understands tough times, and knows how to serve solemnly. But he has to resist obvious photo-opps."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Maybe, just maybe, Obama and Romney's responses have caused Christie to realize that Obama is a competent president and Romney is an opportunistic moron.

Stranger things have happened

Tim-E

LOL This is a disaster. I really hope the media calls him on it. They've had their fun with the "Mitt momentum" story for a month, they may find it entertaining to throw a wrench in it before it's too late.

When does Romney come on stage?

Amir0x

Banned
the clincher will be in Romney's comments. If he attacks the president even once, the news better fucking call him on it

Gruco

Banned
Mitt using his popularity to collect cans and help Ohio while Obama sits around playing politics with campaign surrogate Chris Christie.

I echo the sentiments of those who believe Christie secretly wants Obama to win so that he can target 2016.

Also, dude is going to drop 100 pounds in the next two years and use it as a personal success story to further bolster his likability. Count on it.

Cheebo

Banned
Apparently his staff wrote Mitt a speech about coming together and how wonderful america is and shows their true spirit during a crisis and that kind of fluff to deliever instead of his normal stump speech.

RDreamer

I hope Chris Christie keeps throwing Romney under dat bus. I'm enjoying it.

Realistically, Christie should just keep coming out for Obama now. He's got an excuse to commend him on his work, so he can cover it up later for a Republican primary or something in his future. But him just telling it like it is and commending Obama despite being a republican can bring him a lot of future potential in national politics, I think. It also helps Obama, which helps his future. If Romney wins, he can't run in 4 years. If Obama does, he can.

Brinbe

I echo the sentiments of those who believe Christie secretly wants Obama to win so that he can target 2016.

Also, dude is going to drop 100 pounds in the next two years and use it as a personal success story to further bolster his likability. Count on it.

Yeah, he might as well get that surgery. Look at Rex Ryan now versus a few years ago. I think he has an okay shot of getting the nom, but the likes of Jeb in the race will make it tough.

And whoever does run from their side will get crushed by Hil-Dawg

Tim-E

You guys are too focused on the minutiae of this. You're too close. This minute-to-minute stuff doesn't matter.

It ultimately doesn't, but what else are we supposed to do? This is a thread where people talk about the minute-to-minute stuff with these two campaigns. There are seven days until election day. This is how these threads go.

Owzers

Apparently his staff wrote Mitt a speech about coming together and how wonderful america is and shows their true spirit during a crisis and that kind of fluff to deliever instead of his normal stump speech.

"And when i say come together as a nation, i mean get rid of FEMA and let states be on their own in time of disaster. "

Yeah, he might as well get that surgery. Look at Rex Ryan now versus a few years ago. I think he has an okay shot of getting the nom, but the likes of Jeb in the race will make it tough.

And whoever does run from their side will get crushed by Hil-Dawg

Nah, he'll hire himself a personal trainer and do it the old-fashioned way.

It ultimately doesn't, but what else are we supposed to do? This is a thread where people talk about the minute-to-minute stuff with these two campaigns. There are seven days until election day. This is how these threads go.

What you should do is live life. Hug your family or something. In 10 years you won't remember any of this.

isoquant

To all the people complaining about Romney's campaigning - what would you have him do instead?

The guy has been running for president for 20 years. It's a couple of days out from the election - where he is only a point or two behind - and you expect him to just sit in his hotel room and watch Obama on TV?

It's not like Obama will miss a chance in the next few days to get a few good photo ops in.

hym

Banned
To all the people complaining about Romney's campaigning - what would you have him do instead?

The guy has been running for president for 20 years. It's a couple of days out from the election - where he is only a point or two behind - and you expect him to just sit in his hotel room and watch Obama on TV?

It's not like Obama will miss a chance in the next few days to get a few good photo ops in.

I actually don't mind him continuing his campaign, Clinton and Biden do it too, calling it Storm Relief on the other hand....

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Romney said he was "suspending his campaign". That's basically been revealed as a lie

Amir0x

Banned

to go to affected states and commit only to charity and disaster relief for the next few days with no campaign events

like, you know, someone with a conscience would do.

daedalius

Storm relief event.

If you're going to campaign, then campaign.

DON'T say "I'm suspending my campaign events out of respect", then immediately announce a "relief effort" that is a thinly veiled campaign rally with soup cans.

Brinbe

DON'T say "I'm suspending my campaign events out of respect", then immediately announce a "relief effort" that is a thinly veiled campaign rally with soup cans.

Exactly. No one cares that he's campaigning, it's just overwhelmingly cynical.

He'll use his free preventative services under ObamaCare to help him lose weight.

RDreamer

Seriously, this is the biggest problem. He's already one of the biggest liars I've ever seen on a national stage. He says one thing, does another, and then says another. This is exactly that, but also mixed in with a huge disaster. He says he's suspending out of respect and then in action he isn't suspending at all. He's trying to score points on both ends, like always, and it's deplorable. Either take the bump for respect for a disaster, or take whatever bump you get from rallying. Don't try and take me for a fucking fool and do both while saying that's not what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom