• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

But I've listened to Rush, Hannity, Chris Plant, Mark Levin and have yet to hear pro-Obama/anti-Romney ads. Fox News, WMAL,etc. And isn't the conservatives more Corporation friendly?

That would tell me that the right puts ideology above profit while the left doesn't.

That probably implies more that the ad time buyers figure those right wing audiences are a lost cause. Also, since right wing radio and Fox News have giant audiences, the ad time probably costs more than usual, which would make it even less worth it.

"More recently, we in the media — and particularly we in the media at Politico — have tried to grab an edge in the race for web traffic by hyping our election stories far beyond their actual importance."

Klein is like, boom.

This is some real ether being dropped here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The aid relief to swing states stuff? Pretty sure that turned out to be misinformation.

Well, that and the "It's not a campaign rally--I swear!" stuff.

Glad to hear the first thing was misinformation.

More annoying that anything else. The fact that he might lose because people won't turn out...

Honestly, anyone in a swing state not voting is ugh...

Doesn't the common wisdom suggest that magic number is somewhere between LV and RV? Obama's GOTV has to account for at least 3%.

LosDaddie

Banned
Not just MSNBC but all liberal media has anti-obama ads.
WTF?
Does anyone every hear anti-republican ads on any right-wing media?
Are liberals that fucking greedy that they take advertising money from anyone even those against everything their shows rail against?

Obama runs ads on AM "news" radio here in Central FL. Did it both in 2008 and now.

It's really funny.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Romney's Storm Relief event cost more to put on than it actually brought in.

RDreamer

So apparently, Romney's "relief rallies" are exactly the thing the Red Cross has asked people not to do. They would much rather have people donate money and blood to them directly.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/30/1152540/-Romney-lines-everybody-up-to-give-him-stuff-the-Red-Cross-says-it-doesn-t-want

The campaign bus is going to hand it out? wtf? They're not going to let professionals deal with this sort of thing?

Also, isn't something like that dangerously close to buying votes. I know him and Paul Ryan almost got in trouble with Wisconsin law when they handed out free sandwiches to people.

There are a ton of commercials for local races here in St. Louis where it's angrily noted that the democratic opponent "supported Obamacare" like it's this big evil thing.

Socreges

Banned
I am so confused. How did he bullshit you...?

Return, Socreges! I must find the cure for my bewilderment!
It appears that it is, in fact, I who was bewildered, Hawkian. I was expecting poll numbers so it didn't occur to me that the "75%" was his odds of winning.

i3fdwAVLyNiO9.gif

As someone who has worked with several volunteer outfits, pretty much every single one of them would rather you donate cash, because more can be done with it to where the charity needs it to go, where donations of food and "for this purpose" donation ties the charity's hands.

In the worst case (and this actually happened at a library I worked at), you wind up with a billion paperback books and nothing else, because that's what people donate, when they'd much rather have money so they can actually by the art supplies they need for the youth activities.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thank GOD mitt romney is in Ohio. The Eye is about to enter Cincinnati. Hopefully he can give out tons of cans of soup because that is what people need in a flood: canned soup.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It appears that it is, in fact, I who was bewildered, Hawkian. I was expecting poll numbers so it didn't occur to me that the "75%" was his odds of winning.

i3fdwAVLyNiO9.gif
Oh. Well that was rather anti-climactic!

btw for the interested, with 8 days out here's Nate's difference between the "Now-cast" and "Then-cast" (let me know if I should elaborate)
BJ1p5.png
AgmGp.png

HylianTom

Banned
Man, oh, man.. that popular vote probability is cloooose.

And regarding Minnesota:

Klobuchar stretches lead over Bills

Poll shows commanding advantage in support, recognition.

Democratic U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar has widened her lead over Republican challenger Kurt Bills, who one week before Election Day remains unknown to a majority of Minnesotans, according to a new Star Tribune Minnesota Poll.

The poll shows that Klobuchar is backed by 65 percent of Minnesotans while Bills draws support from 22 percent, giving Klobuchar her widest lead yet.

The first-term senator's support stretches across the state and in nearly every demographic group. She has support from nearly all Democrats, 66 percent of independents and even 37 percent of Republicans. Bills captures less than half of Republican voters -- 47 percent.
http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/176350381.html

Don't be fooled on Minnesota's lean this year.

Oh. Well that was rather anti-climactic!

btw for the interested, with 8 days out here's Nate's difference between the "Now-cast" and "Then-cast" (let me know if I should elaborate)
http://i.imgur.com/BJ1p5.png[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AgmGp.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's like that movie Memento where the present continuity and past continuity merge together in an epic climax.

Brinbe

Yeah, was also looking back @ Romney's odds on 538 over the past few weeks and it's funny that even @ his absolute peak, post-1st debate, he never even crossed over 40%.

This shit is a wrap.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, was also looking back @ Romney's odds on 538 over the past few weeks and it's funny that even @ his absolute peak, post-1st debate, he never even crossed over 40%.

This shit is a wrap.

It's not a wrap. According to Nate's model, there is approximately a 27% chance of it not being a wrap.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did anyone honestly assume that MN-Senate was in play this year?

If so they are an unmitigated idiot.
Actually if I understand the model correctly, by nature it actually does not have one?

edit: er, wait a minute

It's not a wrap. According to Nate's model, there is approximately a 27% chance of it not being a wrap.
Agreed. Here's that concept expressed in a very pragmatic way:
Ezra Klein said:
But it’s just as important to be clear about this: If Mitt Romney wins on election day, it doesn’t mean Silver’s model was wrong. After all, the model has been fluctuating between giving Romney a 25 percent and 40 percent chance of winning the election. That’s a pretty good chance! If you told me I had a 35 percent chance of winning a million dollars tomorrow, I’d be excited. And if I won the money, I wouldn’t turn around and tell you your information was wrong. I’d still have no evidence I’d ever had anything more than a 35 percent chance.

HylianTom

Banned
Did anyone honestly assume that MN-Senate was in play this year?

If so they are an unmitigated idiot.

True. I just figured that it couldn't hurt to point out just how ridiculously friendly Minnesota is to Democrats.

Can't wait for all RV to vote and Obama sweeps the battlegrounds. 1 more week.
I harped on this a while back. With the exception of a few polls, RV numbers are getting harder to come by. Especially with certain state polls. When turnout in a swing state is north of 80%, the difference between RV and LV is going to be laughable, and I think a lot of pollsters in their strict effort to identify the most likely of voters might be making a fundamental error here.

Nate Silver is burning down Pharos Research on twitter right now. Says they failed to answer such basic questions as "who does your calling."

Pharos produced a set of reasonably pro-Democratic polls recently -- even in Florida, +3 in Ohio. I think one or two got mentioned here. O'Keefe trolling 538? They have the kind of terrible web design that just screams movement conservative.

Also, SurveyUSA just showed Obama down by 8 in Georgia -- same margin as 2008.

Seems like they've been baffling folks for a bit
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/24/1149720/-What-s-the-deal-with-Pharos-Research-Group

HylianTom

Banned
My god.. I've been reading about the lovefest between Obama and Cristie going-on today. The folks on FreeRepublic are absolutely apeshit furious that Cristie's been behaving like this, all buddy-buddy and "you're-so-wonderful" towards Obama.

My god.. I've been reading about the lovefest between Obama and Cristie going-on today. The folks on FreeRepublic are absolutely apeshit furious that Cristie's been behaving like this, all buddy-buddy and "you're-so-wonderful" towards Obama.

Where are you reading this? CNN's top political story is still a day old Romney speaks with FEMA, and rest of their stories are Romney backpats.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
...is this really going to be a thing?

edit: SurveyUSA says Florida is all tied up.
Today, Obama leads by 19 points in Southeast FL, but Romney leads in every other region of the state.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hasn't it always been that way?
Sorry, I should have stipulated my frustration: I'm one of the people contributing to that 19 points.

there is NOTHING I CAN DO about the rest of my dumbass state with its ludicrously high number of electoral votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom