• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Mitt Romney is going to make sure they don't build Jeeps in China!

I have to imagine the blowback on the Jeep ads will affect him most in MI.

Also, great news about the Marquette Law poll. THey are the WI polling gold standard.

These past 24 hours of polls have been pretty great. Romney needs more Rasmussen polls STAT.

JCreasy

I think Drudge is butt-hurt ya'll

drudge-christie.png

California does not have early voting (AFAIK) other than absentee ballots. But I like to roller-skate down to my local poll and pick up my Libertarian ballot (don't laugh) and amuse the old poll workers.

We do have early voting. But its kind of a total pain in the ass, at least in LA. It's only at the county clerk's office. And fucking NO ONE wants to ever drive to Norwalk EVER.

Mike M

Nick N
Anybody else voting early or did so?

My wife and I have our WA state ballots filled out, just need to drop them off.

I-1185 is guaranteed to pass, but hopefully the ruling finding it unconstitutional is upheld.

Polling consistently finds R74 legalizing gay marriage ahead as well, so I'm hopeful on that one.

Voted yes on I-502 as well, we'll see how far that one gets.

GPsych

Purple Texas dreamers aren't saying it will turn blue because suburban teacher moms suddenly have an epiphany and decide to vote for democrat President. But because of rapidly changing demographics in the south and the west. Passing immigration reform in the next 4 years can help solidify the Latino support for democrats, but they already support Obama and democrats by a majority. Lot of young people are also moving to Tx for jobs and careers, and the heavily populated urban centers can prove to be tipping points in the near future.

I'm not talking about "suburban teacher moms" here. This is an inner-city large urban school district (Houston ISD, largest in the state). At least half of those special ed teachers I mentioned are hispanic women. Admittedly, a huge percentage of them are married to Oil & Gas employees which is a heavily republican sector from what I understand. Even worse, school administrators at HISD are crazy far to the right - like Tea Party level. Once again, it's incredibly bizarre considering that they're basically voting against their own interests.

We do have early voting. But its kind of a total pain in the ass, at least in LA. It's only at the county clerk's office. And fucking NO ONE wants to ever drive to Norwalk EVER.

I stand corrected. I'd have to drive to the next town over vote. But since I've never waited more than 3 minutes at my currently polling place, it is a non issue for me.

Ecotic

Others mentioned Georgia too here. What's different compared to the last election? What caused the (seeming) enthusiasm among black voters?
I early voted in Georgia too, +1 for Obama. Black voter enthusiasm is probably up for two main reasons. First, because Obama has overseen a competent, scandal-free administration and made the community proud, and so they want to show their strong support. Secondly, because they've seen him treated like shit by the Republican opposition and feel a strong sense of anger about it.

If Obama wins the comfortable victory that the polls suggest he will next Tuesday, one question that I'd be interested to hear opinions on is "Was 2012 a winnable election for Republicans?". Will 2012 be seen in retrospect as winnable for either party like 2000 and 2004, or never winnable like 1996 or 2008?

One the one hand the Republicans had the strongest possible candidate from their field, the economy was soft enough, and despite Mitt Romney's generally poor campaign Obama's stumble in the first debate provided the opportunity he needed.

Then again, if re-election campaigns are a referendum on the incumbent, then if Obama wins then how suitable a candidate Mitt Romney was shouldn't matter. The economy was growing just fast enough, Obama ended the Iraq War, got Bin Laden killed, ran a scandal-less administration, and had legislative accomplishments like health care reform and ending DADT.

Depends on your definition of "winnable". But even now it's too close to call this year's election pre-destined for Obama. Was he vulnerable this year? Absolutely. Did the GOP have the candidate? Maybe not. Huntsman, perhaps.

Romney was the most competent and sane candidate but was uniquely unsuited in certain ways, too. If you're asking whether a different hypothetical GOP candidate could be faring better right now given the exact same national and international conditions, yes, I think so.

Brinbe

Will be interesting to see how Christie is treated by the GOP after this, especially if Obama wins.

RINOest RINO that ever RINO'd... twitter is fun right now.

And the GOP have long, vengeful memories, ya think Christie isn't making it past the primaries with this shit? haha.

New page

server: studio64.yi.org
channel: #poligaf

irc clients:
windows - use mirc or xchat
mac - colloquy

2K web irc chat (via mibbit.com)
Chatzilla(firefox extention)

Come join us

RDreamer

That picture has Republicans seething today but Christie is pocketing it and will use it in 2016 to show how he is a bi-partisan guy that gets things done.

Precisely what I said he was doing when he first started doing it.

I mean don't get me wrong, he seems like a mostly genuine dude, so I think part of it really is him getting down to business. But still, I feel like he had no second thoughts doing that, because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom