• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol @ that Rove article.

A blatant lie.

Someone on Fox said Sandy was "mana from heaven" for Obama. Seriously. It might have been Kurtz.

That isn't true if Rove himself took like 11 of those by calling his buddies and added them to the 8 national trackers

Socreges

Banned
Guys, I hope you're ready because

THE CRAZY IS GOING TO GET REAL FUCKING CRAZY FROM THE GOP TIL ELECTION DAY

Seriously. The stuff we're about to read/hear will be off the charts.
Shit's already ramping up more than I expected. Republicans are not willing to lose this election. I can't be the only one anticipating significant tampering on election day?

So two hookers from the Dominican Republic just so happened to get in contact with the Daily Caller and not any of the numerous legitimate news agencies out there, and in addition, wanted to have their identities remain secret.............LOL. Fuck you Tucker Carlson

AniHawk

looks like nate updated 538 a second time:

forecast jumped to 79%. nowcast at 81.4%. ev forecast is over 300 for the first time in over three weeks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
8BzFQ.png

Fox News lol. 3 things.

1. Still can't let Libya go. Sorry bros, you got whiskey dick

2. lol @ bias alert

3. climate change headline misleading. Scientists skeptical about blaming Sandy on climate change, not on actual climate change. See, this is how they mislead people with a faux title.

god that's impressive

they are the best in the business, no one is close

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I love the phrase "secretly winning by a landslide" . . . great oxymoronic flair.

The GOP is talking about of both sides of its mouth; the polls are a corrupt conspiracy to the extent they show Obama winning but totally accurate for the purposes of applying arbitrary filters to them which result in Romney winning.

Trakdown

looks like nate updated 538 a second time:

forecast jumped to 79%. nowcast at 81.4%. ev forecast is over 300 for the first time in over three weeks.

I will be so happy to see that "historic debate" bullshit turn to vapor. 6 more days and it's all over.

Ohio is at 79.9%. Wis, Nev over 85%. Colorado and Va over 60%. Florida down to 58.8% for Romney. Iowa 78%.

Obama is close to 80% in a bunch of swing states.

Angry Grimace

I have a feeling that Obama turns VA and/or FL to seal it earlier than expected.

http://i.imgur.com/8BzFQ.png

Fox News lol. 3 things.

1. Still can't let Libya go. Sorry bros, you got whiskey dick

2. lol @ bias alert

3. climate change headline misleading. Scientists skeptical about blaming Sandy on climate change, not on actual climate change. See, this is how they mislead people with a faux title.
Goes to CNN
Ctrl-F 'benghazi' . . . Nothing
Ctrl-F 'libya' . . . Nothing
Goes to nbcnews.com
Goes to abcnews.com
Goes to cbsnews.com
Goes to news.yahoo.com

Jesus Fox . . . give up. Your scandal manufacturing attempts while a big hurricane hits the highest population density state is fucking pathetic, desperate, and sad.

HylianTom

Banned
Things moving our way.. hmm.. reminds me of the incredible Hopium high I had for weeks after the 2008 Election. Counting down to when Bush would disappear. Wondering who'd be in the cabinet. Watching the world breathe sighs of relief, sending thanks and congrats our way for "getting it right this time."

Sure, there were GOP tears - but not nearly as many high-grade, tea party-flavored delicacies. This year, I can see the whining and crying lasting much, much longer. And there'll be the added sideshow of The War for the GOP's Soul - that could take a considerably long time, and could even produce a (metaphorical) body count, or perhaps defections to the Democrats.

The tension may end in 140 hours or so, but the intrigue and excitement don't. So many story lines, ready to all explode as soon as victory is confirmed!

AniHawk

I have a feeling that Obama turns VA and/or FL to seal it earlier than expected.

i think va is already on his side. it'll be close though, and we won't know the results until later in the night. florida could be a coin flip in the way nc was four years ago. just a six days to make up that 8%

Things moving our way.. hmm.. reminds me of the incredible Hopium high I had for weeks after the 2008 Election. Counting down to when Bush would disappear. Wondering who'd be in the cabinet. Watching the world breathe sighs of relief, sending thanks and congrats our way for "getting it right this time."

Sure, there were GOP tears - but not nearly as many high-grade, tea party-flavored delicacies. This year, I can see the whining and crying lasting much, much longer. And there'll be the added sideshow of The War for the GOP's Soul - that could take a considerably long time, and could even produce a (metaphorical) body count, or perhaps defections to the Democrats.

The tension may end in 140 hours or so, but the intrigue and excitement don't. So many story lines, ready to all explode as soon as victory is confirmed!
It's great because you know, in 08 the sentiment was like "Alright, we'll let the Kenyan have a turn and when he fails, we'll be back in charge" Sort of a "you'll come CRAWLING back!"

Well... not too many people are crawling.

I've been pretty damn confident of a Bama victory this entire cycle. His ground game is the best Dems have ever had, he's likable enough to have been elected already and that's while being black.

But I always keep in the back of my mind "Americans can make some of the most disgustingly stupid decisions. Of which Romney could be one."

As long as there's an "if" I'll have it in the back of my mind "They re-elected GWB."

Diablos

So Pew says...

In the poll, conducted Oct. 24-28, 19% of likely voters say they have already voted; that is unchanged from the same week in the 2008 campaign (Oct. 23-26, 2008). Currently, Romney holds a seven-point edge among early voters (50% to 43%); because of the small sample, this lead is not statistically significant. At this point four years ago, Obama led John McCain by 19 points (53% to 34%) among early voters.
What was the sample at this time in 2008? Anyone know?

Pew is the real deal, so this stat is nothing to scoff at. Making me a bit uncomfortable. That said, a lot of red states are probably pushing Mitt over the top with early voting. If we are to assume Pew counts Obama as being ahead in OH, IA, and CO then it really doesn't matter.

But it's still way too close for comfort, and it would be nice to know what the sample was in 2008.

HylianTom

Banned
It's great because you know, in 08 the sentiment was like "Alright, we'll let the Kenyan have a turn and when he fails, we'll be back in charge" Sort of a "you'll come CRAWLING back!"

Well... not too many people are crawling.
Precisely! We're going to see more of a "how..how could you?!" vibe from the GOP this time around. All of their plotting, their obstruction, their carefully-coordinated and heavily-disciplined messaging strategies, their hopes and dreams of grabbing back the reins of power as soon as Bush the Lesser had faded from the voting populace's collective memory - all of this for nothing.

Plus, now it's their turn to worry about the health of their own favorite Supreme Court justices. One four-year period can feel like an eternity for a 76-year-old. Especially when the opposing party holds all the cards in the Senate.

So Pew says...

Pew is the real deal, so this stat is nothing to scoff at. Making me a bit uncomfortable. That said, a lot of red states are probably pushing Mitt over the top with early voting. If we are to assume Pew counts Obama as being ahead in OH, IA, and CO then it really doesn't matter.

But it's still way too close for comfort, and it would be nice to know what the sample was in 2008.

Some 24 percent of those surveyed nationally said they had already cast their ballots, providing further evidence that early voting will play a larger role than ever in the election. Among those who had not yet voted, a quarter said they planned to cast their ballots before Election Day.

Obama led Romney by 53 percent to 41 percent among the 1,660 respondents who said they had already voted.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/31/us-usa-campaign-poll-idUSBRE89K0A920121031

PPP and others are finding the same things. With only 200 early voters, Pew could be waaaaay off. Their MoE on that is large.

So Pew says...

They have also had wild fluctuations.

So Pew says...

You are Diablosing. The sample size was 327 people. Too small of a sample for an accurate result.

All of Silver's battleground state projections are ridiculously close. It's important for either side to maximize turnout, because it seems each state hangs perilously in the balance.

So two hookers from the Dominican Republic just so happened to get in contact with the Daily Caller and not any of the numerous legitimate news agencies out there, and in addition, wanted to have their identities remain secret.............LOL. Fuck you Tucker Carlson

Two Dominican prostitutes walk into a bar. They ask the bartender, "Where can I find Tucker Carlson?" The bartender says, "He's the loser over there with the bow tie playing Dragon's Lair." The two hookers walk over to Carlson and say, "Hey Tucker baby, we brought you your little secret service outfit. Are you ready hunnie?"
"Yes. I'm ready to feel like a real man.", says Tucker while never taking his eye off the Dragon's Lair machine. The bartender says, "The inspiration for the next Daily Caller exclusive is about to be born."

Trakdown

Precisely! We're going to see more of a "how..how could you?!" vibe from the GOP this time around. All of their plotting, their obstruction, their carefully-coordinated and heavily-disciplined messaging strategies, their hopes and dreams of grabbing back the reins of power as soon as Bush the Lesser had faded from the voting populace's collective memory - all of this for nothing.

Plus, now it's their turn to worry about the health of their own favorite Supreme Court justices. One four-year period can feel like an eternity for a 76-year-old. Especially when the opposing party holds all the cards in the Senate.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing what both Obama and Reid can do without having to worry about re-election. Reid's already been plenty entertaining.

Oh, and don't fill up on tears too much, guys. We still have the end of the year fight over the Bush Tax Cuts and the implementation of the health care exchanges in roughly a year.

Why the fuck are they even including that if it's only 327 people?

Is Pew not credible anymore? WTF

I was wrong . . . it was 324 people.

10-31-12-3.png

The Pew Research Center survey found that the race is even among all likely voters nationwide (47% Obama, 47% Romney). Unlike the last campaign, the race also is close among voters who say they have already voted.

In the poll, conducted Oct. 24-28, 19% of likely voters say they have already voted; that is unchanged from the same week in the 2008 campaign (Oct. 23-26, 2008). Currently, Romney holds a seven-point edge among early voters (50% to 43%); because of the small sample, this lead is not statistically significant. At this point four years ago, Obama led John McCain by 19 points (53% to 34%) among early voters.
http://www.people-press.org/2012/10/31/in-deadlocked-race-neither-side-has-ground-game-advantage/

Diablos

Oh wow, thanks.

Still, Pew is super credible, yo, and that they have the election at a dead heat really blows.

I just want this election to be OVER (with an Obama win)

Oh wow, thanks.

Still, Pew is super credible, yo, and that they have it at a dead heat really blows.

I just want this election to be OVER (with an Obama win)

Eh, if Obama is up 1.5-2 (which I think is likely), you're going to get a lot of results showing tied. And if we assume the latino vote is under-repesented, it's even more likely to show ties (and Romney leads).

I mean, if Pew's final poll says the race is tied and it turns out Obama win by 1.5, I'd consider Pew quite accurate.

Wow, I was hoping Obama could just hold steady in RAND tonight and not drop.

Instead, he went back up. 50.5-45. Obama +6. That's +1.5 tonight.

I was hoping for him to hold steady which would indicate the race is possibly going to tighten, but slowly.

This is looking more like Obama has solidified his spot in RAND at over 50%.

What's the deal with Christie's current behaviour? As in, what's his political motivation here?

2016 baby! That plus New Jersey ain't doing so well even before this storm.

That said, I do believe Christie puts country over party which is uncommon in the GOP these days. Disagree with his politics as much as you want, but I always got that vibe from him.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with Christie's current behaviour? As in, what's his political motivation here?

His state has just been massively shit on and he needs all the help he can get. He's also:

1) Betting on Obama being reelected. He's been talking a lot about forming a partnership with him and the federal government going forward, the implication being that he's assuming Obama is going to be the man he has to deal with, and not just as a lame duck. This also plays into 2016 ambitions, assuming his own party hasn't completely disowned him by then.

2) Betting on a bipartisan disaster response playing well in traditionally blue (at least presidentially) New Jersey. He's up for reelection next year.

3) Aware that the people he has to deal with right now are the Obama Administration, whether he likes it or not, for the sake of his constituents, even if that changes in a few days.

As much as I dislike Christie and his politics, his disaster response and his current love affair with Obama both seem thoroughly genuine. Pragmatism over rhetoric in the face of tragedy.

AniHawk

Wow, I was hoping Obama could just hold steady in RAND tonight and not drop.

Instead, he went back up. 50.5-45. Obama +6. That's +1.5 tonight.

I was hoping for him to hold steady which would indicate the race is possibly going to tighten, but slowly.

This is looking more like Obama has solidified his spot in RAND at over 50%.

more telling is that obama supporters have increased their intention to vote and stayed there. the third debate, plus the election being so close, probably helped.

it would be nice if obama won by 6 points in the popular vote, but 50.5 is pretty fucking close to where fivethirtyeight has him. a two-point win (something nate said would have been a good bet), is what we'll probably see in the pv.

It appears that Howard Kurtz is now blaming Hurricane Sandy for "blunting the momentum that Romney had achieved since the debates", never mind that Obama was already on the ascendant even before the hurricane struck. I guess journalists have found a convenient exit out of the Romentum narrative if it fails to transpire. Other journalists and pundits are taking a postmodern "we can't really know anything" approach. Objective knowledge is impossible to achieve! No one knows who's winning! God, I can't wait for November 6th to arrive.
wow they are seriously going to blame a natural disaster for Romney losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom