• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
It's funny that people scoff at more Dems in polls but don't see any relation to that and Romney winning "Independents" by such a huge margin in the same polls.

Even in this thread, people voting Romney are spoiler-tagging it like they're ashamed. A lot of Republicans just don't self-identify because of the nutjobs in their party!

codhand

Nate Silver's apparently goading Morning Joe via Twitter..

Then, Scarborough replied:
"Why don't we both agree to donate $1,000 to the Red Cross right now? Americans need our help now."

Nate's response to this:
"Better idea: Let's bet $2,000."

Should be entertaining to see how this turns out, haha!

Nate on Real-Time with Maher, what an awkward but at the same time cool dude. and F' Joe (I-know-that-I-should-stop-pretending-Republicans-have-sane-ideas) Scarborough.

lulz
"Stories of corruption, abound."

Not only is Paul Ryan going to lose this election (probably), and became a national laughingstock with that charity sham, he lost a debate to a guy who Republicans have been framing as a mental midget for years. He lost handily to Joe "gaffemachine" Biden.

He's done. If he's lucky, he'll still get to be the GOP's budget boy.

I'd like to believe this but there is no accountability anymore. Only celebrity. Bill Kristol said there was nothing to worry about with any Sunny/Shiia in violence in Iraq before as we invaded Iraq. That completely wrong statement is was related to the deaths of tens of thousands, a long protracted war, hundreds of billions of dollars poured down the drain.

Yet people still go to him like he is some expert on foreign policy. Ryan my never become the GOP nominee for President but his career is by no means over.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What's there to respond to? They are all opinions at this point. We will have answers soon enough. I contend dems are being over sampled in most of these polls. We'll see!

Besides, I'm at work and time is limited.

Puddles

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean by "Assuming" here. Most polls (sans rasmussen) aren't adjusting their numbers based on party ID. When PPP shows a +9 for Dem party ID advantage, it's because in their random sample, they got +9 dems. Similarly for gallup, when they get +1 R advantage, they show +1 R. Is the assumption that more repubs are just not answering or being missed in the calls?

Are you complaining that Likely Voter screens aren't filtering enough dems, or that polls are purposefully polling more dems?

Either way, here's some polls on party ID to demonstrate that a gap persists, http://polltracker.talkingpointsmemo.com/contests/us-party-identification

I want to talk a little about this, because while I've made similar posts in the last few days, they've been overlooked.

Basically what the unskewed poll guys are saying is that the true proportion of Democrats in the voting population is smaller than the sample proportions that are showing up in the polls.

Individual polls will fail to capture the true proportion of Democrats all the time. However, when you compile the aggregate of a sufficient number of polls and graph it, you end up with a normally-distributed histogram whose mode should be very close to the true population proportion.

pigeon

Banned
I found this article interesting:

http://storify.com/DigitalFirst/the-election-is-over/embed?header=false&border=false

Maybe you guys (from both sides) should temper your premature partying a bit ;)

The first point in that article is amazing, since the first two links are to somebody saying the opposite of what it claims. Gelman says that Silver is correct but also that it's not a lock, which we knew. Dickinson specifically says that polls near Election Day do have predictive power -- that article is from June. The other two links are to a Hill post about Morning Joe and...a Politico post about Morning Joe.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What's there to respond to? They are all opinions at this point. We will have answers soon enough. I contend dems are being over sampled in most of these polls. We'll see!
Man, if only there was some way to confirm how polls are done instead of just speculating about them!

HylianTom

Banned
It's funny that people scoff at more Dems in polls but don't see any relation to that and Romney winning "Independents" by such a huge margin in the same polls.

Even in this thread, people voting Romney are spoiler-tagging it like they're ashamed. A lot of Republicans just don't self-identify because of the nutjobs in their party!
They should be damn ashamed. They're enablers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Remember when Limbaugh called Sandy the "weakest ass hurricane he's ever seen?" Did he ever follow that up since it hit land?

pigeon

Banned

WE'LL JUST SEE ON ELECTION DAY!!!

Damn, you're good.

For the record, your original claim, Cooter, was that the polls are "assuming an 08 turnout." That's not an opinion, that's a factual assertion -- one that is unquestionably wrong and lamentably ignorant of how polls are actually done.

If you now want to change your position and say that all the state polls are oversampling Democrats and THAT's why the turnout looks wrong, that's fine. You are well in line with Dean Chambers and the official statement of the Romney campaign.

It's a pretty stupid argument, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All of Silver's battleground state projections are ridiculously close. It's important for either side to maximize turnout, because it seems each state hangs perilously in the balance.

3-4 points is historically an enormous advantage. Nate ran a study and found that 3.5 points in the polls have been wrong exactly once.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

If I was ashamed I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

Damn, you're good.

For the record, your original claim, Cooter, was that the polls are "assuming an 08 turnout." That's not an opinion, that's a factual assertion -- one that is unquestionably wrong and lamentably ignorant of how polls are actually done.

If you now want to change your position and say that all the state polls are oversampling Democrats and THAT's why the turnout looks wrong, that's fine. You are well in line with Dean Chambers and the official statement of the Romney campaign.

It's a pretty stupid argument, though.
Poll Truther Movement!
I will say this. I take nothing for granted. The Republicans spinning this could be right. And I don’t just mean that as a throwaway line. They really could be (though hearing it from Rove doesn’t come very credibly to me because I remember his unskewing the polls in advance fo the 2006 midterm too.) I don’t know polling and statistical science well enough myself to make a strong independent judgment about the quality of different polls. But the simple fact is this. For Rove to be right, the overwhelming number of pollsters in the country have to have systematically misjudged their own numbers. There’s simply no other way to put it. Could be. But that’s a big bet to make.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
At the same time I do think the humiliation will get to him. He clearly wants to be loved, but even his supporters seem to only be there because of his qualifications. I got the impression many in McCain's staff would have followed him to the gates of hell; some literally did in fact (his Vietnam buddies). Obama inspires loyalty and admiration amongst his staff.

I get the impression that Romney believes the presidency is entitled to him, and has been working toward that goal for decades. Likewise his wife believes the same, perhaps even moreso than him.

It's just his turn.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Whoa whoa whoa when did we get our very own unskewer?

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Again, its just cherry picking data that's already been professionally sorted to account for these kind of problems.

Cloudy

Banned
@smerconish: 79% odds? Forget Obama/Romney.The career path I'm interested in tracking after Tuesday is Nate Silver's. @538.

Nate is either going to get a HUGE amount of respect from the pundits or a ton of grief because people can't wrap their minds around probability in electoral terms

Clevinger

Whoa whoa whoa when did we get our very own unskewer?

You mean Black Mamba? He's been here a while.

Nate is either going to get a HUGE amount of respect from the pundits or a ton of grief because people can't wrap their minds around probability in electoral terms

Nope. Watch, they'll pretend like they never doubted him or an Obama win. They'll avoid talking about him as much as they can.

pigeon

Banned
According to Twitter, a Romney PAC just went up in Ohio with a sharply negative ad.

About Nate Silver.

edit: I WAS TRICKED

HylianTom

Banned
According to Twitter, a Romney PAC just went up in Ohio with a sharply negative ad.

About Nate Silver.
This is so damn revealing.

"Ignore the man who uses stats to say that this state is Obama's. We can still win this! Please show-up to the polls! Did we mention that he's effete and liberal and gay?"

Also, stolen from DU:
121029_daily-cartoon-silver_p600.jpg

About Nate Silver.
I'd like to see that.

I wonder: Why good does Rasmussen serve the GOP? It helps push their agenda into making the case that they're ahead, but it also convinces many people that their candidates have a fighting chance when they really don't. How is that healthy? What good does that do for the GOP?

Angry Grimace

About Nate Silver.

If this doesn't confirm that the unified GOP poll-denial is an official GOTV strategy and not an actual belief, I don't know what does.

Diablos

Why would they waste their time and money attacking Nate Silver? Undecideds aren't going to give a damn about any of this. lol what a bunch of crap.

Voted today off a road named Ronald Reagan Pkwy in Davenport, FL (a repub leaning area) and saw a great diversity of people there. Lots of hispanic and black voters. Mostly women and about half the people there looked to be in their twenties or thirties.. this seems to be consistent with what others are seeing from around Florida, so I wouldn't count it out for Obama just yet.

+1 Obama
+1 Nelson
+1 Alan fucking Grayson (!!)

Angry Grimace

Why would they waste their time and money attacking Nate Silver? Undecideds aren't going to give a damn about any of this. lol what a bunch of crap.

Again, its GOTV for the base. They want apathetic voters to think they have a chance - any forecast saying they are losing is going to be detrimental to their turnout.

Brinbe

Now that is fucking hilarious. Wasting millions of dollars on Nate f'n Silver. Just lucky that they apparently haven't discovered PEC or they'd really go crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom