• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Libya thing is really interesting to me on a political science level. The Republicans obviously want to politicize it but it really seems like they have no idea how to handle it.

HylianTom

Banned
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/10/24/why_team_obama_is_so_confident.html

Why Team Obama is So Confident
Mark Halperin: "Chicago remains sufficiently funded and emboldened by its own polling to compete for the final two weeks in all nine of the battlegrounds: Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia in the South; New Hampshire in the North; Iowa, Ohio, and Wisconsin in the Midwest; and Nevada and Colorado in the West. As they have in the past, Obama campaign officials say they expect to win a high percentage of those states and conceivably could sweep all nine."

"When pressed, the Obama officials with whom I met said that five of the nine stand out: Nevada, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, and New Hampshire. In that quintet, Democrats believe the combination of their current leads in polling, early voting (where applicable), and ground game makes their chances of winning even greater there than in the other four. And given the Electoral College math, unless Romney picks off one or more of those five states, Obama would win a minimum of 281 electoral votes and re-election."

As Greg Sargent notes, the polling averages show Obama leading in each of those states as well.

Haha.. speaking of projections of confidence..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol at me believing that for a second.

I had to go back and read the quoted post before I figured it out too since I only saw the comment itself quoted from a previous page.

Diablos

1GGWo.png

Is fox news just competing DIRECTLY with the Drudge Report at this point?
wtf, when did those emails surface?

gcubed

The Libya thing is really interesting to me on a political science level. The Republicans obviously want to politicize it but it really seems like they have no idea how to handle it in a way that makes only Obama look bad.

because i think most of America (or at least the part of america that gives 2 shits about foreign policy, which is a limited amount) doesn't think overreacting to a facebook post is the way to go about things.

The continued discussion about this just makes the GOP look worse and worse

Someone asked Portman about Ohio and he was like "Well our internals are showing pretty much the same thing that the public polls are"

So you're losing.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The Republican bravado is a confidence trick and to some degree it actually works; just look how Republicans post on the internet and talk in person. They talk about things in very definite terms like, "it's over," "we are winning," even in the face of all evidence.

Its a psychological trick designed to get bandwagoners on board with voting for the "winning" team.

it's very hard to process the lack of self awareness in this post.

Regarding that ad, is it true that tens of thousands of muslims in Florida voted for Bush in the first election? I believe I read it in a NYT piece, so I'm guessing it was true. I wish I could interview these people. Bush really did a (relatively) good job with minorities though, it seems.

Edit:

Uh wow, so Cain at one point vowed to not appoint any Muslims to office if he were president? WOW.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/10/20121019145241316358.html

Regarding that ad, is it true that tens of thousands of muslims in Florida voted for Bush in the first election? I believe I read it in a NYT piece, so I'm guessing it was true. I wish I could interview these people. Bush really did a (relatively) good job with minorities though, it seems.

He was fucking Sane compared to current right wing nut jobs. He spoke in front of Muslims days after 9/11 calling Islam a religion of peace I believe and saying that the acts of a few do not reflect what Muslims/Islam stand for. He understood in some ways the need for cooperation between Muslim community and law enforcement.

Also, Clinton cuts new ad for Obama:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trPn8sNOvYA&feature=youtu.be

Ecotic

In the 537 ad, it's funny how briefly you see Bush and Cheney. They're like "He who shall not be named" now, or maybe one of the fucked up things we did in our past that we just try and forget about.

The ad is brilliant because it both reminds people of Bush and increases turnout/enthusiasm.

coldfoot

Banned
My vote means little...even our district's Republican congressional candidate supports gay marriage, that's how blue we are here.

Angry Grimace

because i think most of America (or at least the part of america that gives 2 shits about foreign policy, which is a limited amount) doesn't think overreacting to a facebook post is the way to go about things.

The continued discussion about this just makes the GOP look worse and worse

I think part of the problem is demonstrative: even as an interested observer I have very little understanding of the Benghazi situation and/or what the problem even is.

As for the Gallup numbers, I feel like this is evidence of what I was saying; Romney made a mistake being passive in that debate because I'm guess he was relying on this illusory Debate-1 momentum and the assumption nobody cared what happened in it.

Cloudy

Banned
There's only 7 more days in October. I guess there won't be a surprise. When was the last time this happened? In 2000 there was the Bush DUI, In 2004 there was the Bin Laden tape, in 2008 I guess the "spread wealth around" tape.

In 2008, there was leak about Obama's aunt being in the country illegally days before the election.

Bush did pretty well with minorities. Remember he ran on "compassionate conservatism"

Cloudy

Banned
My vote means little...even our Republican congressional candidate supports gay marriage, that's how blue we are here.

For the 100th time, every vote counts. Even if Obama wins but loses the popular vote, he will weakened in the eyes of his opponents in congress

pigeon

Banned
Needed even darker imagery for what was and rainbows and unicorns for what could have been. Otherwise, it's alright.

I think they did the right thing -- because the truth is, we don't really know what would have happened with President Gore. (Although it would probably have been a lot better.)

Where did this whole October Surprise come from? What was the first one?

Kissinger declaring peace in Vietnam in 1972 is the original source.

Owzers

Fucking right Democrats. VOTE!

I can't fucking VOTE because I am not a citizen. You can, fucking VOTE.

:( I registered online at gottaregister.com back on the 12th, before my deadline in Virginia, and i'm still not listed in the voter registration. Hopefully i'll be added before the election, and i know it's partly my fault for waiting so long, but i followed the rules and should be registered Xo.

Cloudy

Banned
:( I registered online at gottaregister.com back on the 12th, before my deadline in Virginia, and i'm still not listed in the voter registration. Hopefully i'll be added before the election, and i know it's partly my fault for waiting so long, but i followed the rules and should be registered Xo.

Isn't there someone you can call? I can't believe people in swing states would procrastinate on this >_<

Snake

Edit:

Uh wow, so Cain at one point vowed to not appoint any Muslims to office if he were president? WOW.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/10/20121019145241316358.html

Exit polls for [small] minority groups are notoriously unreliable, but yes, from the weak data we have it would appear that, until the surge in hate from conservatives post-9/11, muslims in America were more moving fairly decisively towards the Republican Party.

Then again, the discussion of those demographics may have just been a proto exemplar of the oft-repeated falsehood that if Republicans gave up xenophobia against latinos then they would be sure to be natural allies due to high levels of religiosity, and would create a permanent Republican majority.

Bush did pretty well with minorities. Remember he ran on "compassionate conservatism"
I was a wee little lad of about 10 years old and didn't live in the US =P I only remembering knowing that Republicans were evil and being disappointed when Bush won. But yes I recently read a bit on Bush and he was definitely a very different conservative than anything we're seeing today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom