• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can ads have any real effect this late? I'd imagine the population that matters is already oversaturated.

It can move the slobs lazy to vote or the ones who are planning Halo 4 LAN parties on 6th.

Edit: I have an idea. Y2Kev should lock the Halo 4 |OT| on 6th with message "GO VOTE" if you click it. Unlock it on the 7th.

gcubed

thats a shame. Although it seemed like there was nothing comfortable about the last week or two... finally gets to be without pain

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, the ads at this point are GOTV (get out the vote) stuff. Young voters as a group have really low turnout but overwhelmingly slant democratic.

That margin is statistically insignificant and its probably just rounding anyways. We had a poll showing 47-48 like two days ago when the actual margin was 47.48-47.52

Fucking sucks. It was heartbreaking to hear about how he went from an energetic young 20 something fella who woke up every morning, commuted to work and came back home to lying in bed, unable to move his body without help. Cancer really needs to be killed, and I hope curing cancer is the ultimate breakthrough of 21st century.

Seriously, assholes like trump need to stfu and donate to labs that research cancer

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm glad Georgia has only two ballot measures. The first one involving public charter schools is an easy No, but the second one is a little more confusing. The state wants to lower rental rates by being allowed to negotiate multi-year lease agreements. Right now, they can only enter into one-year leases. There's no serious opposition to it, and it seems like a good idea. Any opinions on this?

Reuters going down isn't so bad because Reuters was more bullish on Obama last week and thus with those higher days coming out and being replaced he would come down.

Would have been nice to see no change, of course. But it is what it is. We'll see in 3 days where Reuters is. I think it will come back towards Obama.

Cheebo

Banned
Reuters going down isn't so bad because Reuters was more bullish on Obama last week and thus with those higher days coming out and being replaced he would come down.

Would have been nice to see no change, of course. But it is what it is. We'll see in 3 days where Reuters is. I think it will come back towards Obama.

Reuters is only a 4 day tracker.

Loudninja

What?

Ryan argued that government gets in the way of private giving and charities that help the poor, and used health care reform's contraception coverage rule as an example.
"Nothing undermines the essential and honorable work these groups do quite like the abuse of government power. Take what happened this past January, when the Department of Health and Human Services issued new rules requiring Catholic hospitals, charities and universities to violate their deepest principles. Never mind your own conscience, they were basically told – from now on you’re going to do things the government’s way.

This mandate isn’t just a threat to religious charities. It’s a threat to all those who turn to them in times of need. In the name of strengthening our safety net, this mandate and others will weaken it."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/ryan-contraception-coverage-rule-threat-to-poor

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nice Cyan, i'll do the same with Florida.

1.) lol, No
This would add an amendment to the state constitution that attempts to prohibit the government from requiring individuals to purchase health insurance.

2.) No
This amendment would allow certain disabled veterans, who were not Florida residents prior to entering military service, to qualify for a discount on their property taxes.

3.) Fuck No
This amendment would set a state revenue limit each year based on a formula that considers population growth and inflation instead of using the current method of calculating the revenue limit based on personal income.

4.) Just No
Reduce the maximum annual increase in taxable value of non-homestead properties from 10 percent to 5 percent; provide an extra homestead exemption for first-time home buyers; allow lawmakers to prohibit assessment increases for properties with decreasing market values.

5.) No
This measure would provide for Senate confirmation of Supreme Court justices; give lawmakers control over changes to the rules governing the court system; and direct the Judicial Qualifications Commission, which investigates judicial misconduct complaints, to make its files available to the Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives.

6.) No
This amendment would make the existing federal ban on public funding for most abortions part of the state constitution. It would narrow the scope of a state privacy law that is sometimes used in Florida to challenge abortion laws.

8.) Holy Shit, No
This amendment would remove the prohibition in Florida’s Constitution that prevents religious institutions from receiving taxpayer funding. I love how this one is called "Religious Freedom"

9.) No
This would grant a full property tax exemption to the surviving spouses of military veterans who die while on active duty and to the surviving spouses of first responders who die in the line of duty.

10.) Just No
This amendment would double the tangible personal property tax exemption and allow local governments to increase the exemption. Trickle Down FTW!

11.) Eh, least offensive Amendment. I voted yes.
This amendment would give an additional property tax exemption to low-income seniors who have lived in their home for more than 25 years.

12.) Why does this one exist?
This amendment would change the way the state selects the student representative on the state university system’s Board of Governors, which oversees the university system.

Edit: Updated with Summaries from the Herald Tribune.
Awesome.

I voted No on 11, because our economy sucks and we have no income tax and tons of property exemptions already. But that one really was the least offensive.

Thank you for calling out number 8 for what it was. CANNOT BELIEVE how it was worded on the ballot.

edit: And yeah, voted no on 12 as a "this shit doesn't belong in the state constitution" sense, not because I have any issues with its incredibly minute concerns.

HylianTom

Banned
Obama's Edge: The Ground Game That Could Put Him Over the Top

In a technical sense, the Romney campaign actually does not have a ground game at all. It has handed over that responsibility to the Republican National Committee, which leads a coordinated effort intended to boost candidates from the top of the ticket on down. The RNC says this is an advantage: The presidential campaign and the local campaigns aren't duplicating efforts, and the RNC was able to start building its ground operation to take on Obama in March, before Romney had secured the GOP nomination.

"The Romney campaign doesn't do the ground game," Rick Wiley, the RNC's political director, told me. "They have essentially ceded that responsibility to the RNC. They understand this is our role." The disadvantage of this is that the RNC is composed of its state Republican Parties, which vary dramatically in quality. States like Florida and Virginia have strong Republican operations, while those in Iowa and Nevada haven't recovered from attempted takeovers by Ron Paul partisans, and the Ohio GOP still bears the scars of a protracted leadership fight earlier in the year.

Some Republicans admit that the ground game is a weakness for the party. In Colorado, one top GOP consultant who has worked on presidential campaigns told me he mentally added 2 to 4 points to Obama's polls in the state based on superior organization. In Florida, GOP Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart said Republicans would win in other ways: "They're very organized. They're very, very organized, and you have to admit they're very organized," Diaz-Balart said of the Democrats . . .

We may not be able to fully size up the campaigns' ground games and their effect until Election Day -- and maybe not even then. But what struck me most, in talking to Republicans about their ground game, was the extent to which they admitted they weren't even playing the game . . .

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...game-that-could-put-him-over-the-top/264031/#

Yep. I stick to my assertion: a state with tied polls going into Election Day has to slightly favor Obama for this reason alone. Now that we're into the GOTV portion of the race, we're hearing the same testimony from reporters everywhere.

Diablos

lol Romney reaffirmed his support for Mourdock's candidacy. Maybe this'll become a good attack line for female voters for Bams in the home stretch.
Fuck the GOP, seriously. Mitt has to know this is a bad idea.

Clinton is awesome. That is a great ad. So was 537.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Awesome.

I voted No on 11, because our economy sucks and we have no income tax and tons of property exemptions already. But that one really was the least offensive.

Thank you for calling out number 8 for what it was. CANNOT BELIEVE how it was worded on the ballot.

edit: And yeah, voted no on 12 as a "this shit doesn't belong in the state constitution" sense, not because I have any issues with its incredibly minute concerns.

Doesn't 8 violate the establishment clause?

Clevinger

lol Romney reaffirmed his support for Mourdock's candidacy. Maybe this'll become a good attack line for female voters for Bams in the home stretch.

I have no idea why he did this. A man who has no problem flip flopping on fucking anything chooses to stick with this guy...

I agree with the basic point about Mitt being down in key swing states, but the--now repeated by TPM--quote that Obama is up in swing states by more than Romney is up in NC is just not true, even if you unskew the polls. Romney is up a solid +5 in NC and that isnt true for Obama in Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, etc.

How can you even quantify a statement such as this? Either way? Do you know what data points they are using?

pigeon

Banned
I agree with the basic point about Mitt being down in key swing states, but the--now repeated by TPM--quote that Obama is up in swing states by more than Romney is up in NC is just not true, even if you unskew the polls. Romney is up a solid +5 in NC and that isnt true for Obama in Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, etc.

538 poll average for NC is R +1.9.

Romney is up +5 in an average of three polls that includes Rasmussen's state polls (see earlier in this thread for why they aren't very trustworthy below the Presidential ticket) and Gravis fucking Marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom