• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrajag

Banned
Like someone said, it seems a number of Republicans are identifying as "Independent," or at least consider themselves as such after how far-right the current party is.

I get that. This guy I was arguing with specifically said that more people that were polled selected Romney but that the results were adjusted. Sounds like a flat out lie to me. I googled and couldn't even find any claims of the sort other than on sites like unskewedpolls.com

markatisu

I'm looking forward to Hannity's 1st show after the election and even moreso for Jon Stewart's take of Hannity's show after the election. lol
Secretly Fox News would love Obama to win because since 2008 their ratings have been through the roof. Its easy and fun to have someone to rail against every day/night. When Bush was in office, their whole script was to defend Bush to the bitter end and frame anyone who questioned the government as un-American. Kinda boring :/ and their ratings were lower, although still number one.

Yup Obama is good for business, just as Clinton was good for business. If Obama loses they have to basically go after Congress and that is harder to carry a consistent narrative.

pigeon

Banned
I can't help but feel O+2 is closer to the mark in Florida than R+6.

Marist showing O+2 is one point better than the O+1 they had after the first debate.

Mason-Dixon showing R+6 is one point better than the R+7 they had after the first debate.

CNN showing a tie (10/28) is one point better than the R+1 they had after the first debate.

I don't think these polls are that hard to interpret.

Both these Florida polls are in line with the current averages.

East Lake

Wait a minute. I actually like the Washington Post (and I'm an Obama supporter).

But yes, posting pro-Obama article (or anti-Romney article) after pro-Obama article should be classified as 'shilling'. When your paper reaches the point of releasing an official statement claiming the Republican presidential candidate has a deep-seated contempt for the American people, then they should be called out for shilling.

Your response is similar to those who dismissed that Pew Media Bias study. 'MSNBC only features more biased stories because Romney is so bad!' It's such a cringe-worthy rationalization.

As for who was arguing they were dominated by conservatives, quadriplegicjon comes to mind.
Read the George Will columns and stop crying. Nearly every post you make is about the lib media. Quite an odd Obama supporter.

RDreamer

I get that. This guy I was arguing with specifically said that more people that were polled selected Romney but that the results were adjusted. Sounds like a flat out lie to me. I googled and couldn't even find any claims of the sort other than on sites like unskewedpolls.com

Technically speaking I believe that could be happening in a way, but that's not because of party ID weighting. That would happen if the poll sampled too many old people, for example, and the electorate had far less older people. They'd have to weight the answers of the younger people a bit more to put it in line with reality. The reverse would happen if they oversampled too many african americans, for example, though.

pigeon

Banned
But yes, posting pro-Obama article (or anti-Romney article) after pro-Obama article should be classified as 'shilling'. When your paper reaches the point of releasing an official statement claiming the Republican presidential candidate has a deep-seated contempt for the American people, then they should be called out for shilling.

Wait a second.

They posted that in their OFFICIAL ENDORSEMENT OF OBAMA.

You don't think that article might be assumed to be a bit more shillworthy than the rest of the paper?

Effect

I wonder how likely these long lines and shorten early voting is going to bite republicans in the ass in Florida. The 60+ voter is suppose to be favoring Romney but will they be willing to stand in the very long lines for several hours?

Wait a minute. I actually like the Washington Post (and I'm an Obama supporter).

And?

If the Republican Presidential Candidate uses campaign tactics that insult the intelligence of the electorate, calling that out is... I don't know, journalism?

Your response is similar to those who dismissed that Pew Media Bias study. 'MSNBC only features more biased stories because Romney is so bad!' It's such a cringe-worthy rationalization.

Are you sure you know what rationalization means? How about instead of immediately presuming some nefarious partisan blinders on my part, you actually explain why the editorial is out of bounds. How is it incorrect?

Let's not get started on your preemptive "I know the liberal gaf hivemind doesn't like this" attitude.

As for who was arguing they were dominated by conservatives, quadriplegicjon comes to mind.

So one guy? Cool.

pigeon

Banned
Dem: 38
Rep: 29

Dems won't have a 9 point ID lead on election day

ivZYPx4hjYd6u.gif

agrajag

Banned
Technically speaking I believe that could be happening in a way, but that's not because of party ID weighting. That would happen if the poll sampled too many old people, for example, and the electorate had far less older people. They'd have to weight the answers of the younger people a bit more to put it in line with reality. The reverse would happen if they oversampled too many african americans, for example, though.

The electorate is based on the census, right?

Dem: 38
Rep: 29

Dems won't have a 9 point ID lead on election day

My mistake. I was going off of these and adding in the leaning independents:

Do you consider yourself a: (party identification)
Strong Democrat 30
Not strong Democrat 8
Democrat leaning Independent 10
Just Independent 10
Republican leaning Independent 12
Not strong Republican 7
Strong Republican 22
Other 1
Total 100

pigeon

Banned
With regards to Florida polling:

@electionate said:
@michaelpwilt the live interview polls w/cell phones are O+2, O+1, Tie, R+1, R+6

And that R+6 poll is Mason-Dixon, who has been extremely Romney-tilted in every survey they've done this year.

Once again, all the Florida polls show Obama doing about a point better than after the first debate. That's nearly tied but not quite.

agrajag

Banned
Yes, they weight based on the census of the entire state (or whatever they're polling), and then use a likely voter screen to whittle things down to who might actually vote.

So is there any way to see the actual raw data of these polls? Like, before they weight the polls?

Amir0x

Banned

Etk3+

Good news for Susquehanna. Romney will totally turn this race around in three days.

hey that trend line seems pretty steady

almost as if you stop looking at one poll alone and then take all the data points together then paint a story

almost as if trying to chicken little or hyperbole over a single poll is pretty useless in an age of poll aggregates eh

Clevinger

Remember that time people got all worked up when I pointed out that WaPo was shilling for Obama? I do. The Post is dominated by conservatives, they said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...428-11e2-9313-3c7f59038d93_story.html?hpid=z2

lol k guys

I can see how it might look like that after the endorsement, but a newspaper whose most popular opinion writer is probably George Will, and who employes Jennifer Rubin, maybe the dumbest and hackiest pro-Romney writer I've seen this election in serious media, I'll respectfully disagree.

It doesn't help that Romney is a pretty terrible candidate, running an extremely dishonest campaign. You expect dishonesty in a politician (that's why that article also slams Obama), but Romney turns it up to 11.

Wow, CNN's ballwashing for Republicans has gone blatant. Check out their frontpage. Their top headline has a picture of Scott Brown with the heading
Opinion: Stand up for centrists

No matter who wins the presidency, we need to see more principled problem-solving centrists, such as Sen. Scott Brown, above, elected from both parties, John Avlon says. FULL STORY
CNN fuckoffanddiekthx

Magni

538 updated again 30 minutes ago, now up to 83.7%. Hopium.

How much money Linda McMahon thrown into the race from her own bank? Love to see her not only lose the election but also millions of dollars of her own.

$16M in the GOP primary alone apparently.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
538 updated again 30 minutes ago, now up to 83.7%. Hopium.

$16M in the GOP primary alone apparently.

I've got a love/hate relationship with her political campaigns. I love the fact that she pisses away her own money to try and buy a position and fails, but I hate the fact I have to deal with the fact she bombards the airwaves so that all we see are attack ads from her.

pigeon

Banned
A line from the latest 538 post that deserves special consideration:

nyt said:
The FiveThirtyEight forecast explicitly accounts for the possibility that the polls are biased toward Mr. Obama — but it also accounts for the chance that the polls could be systematically biased against him.

In other words, that possibility that the polls are "using the wrong turnout model" or are in some other way systematically skewed towards the Democrats?

That possibility is already taken into account in that 81% win percentage.

If you assume that the polls are trustworthy in aggregate?

You get Sam Wang's percentages.

edit: Nate added the Mason-Dixon poll and the Marist poll to Florida. Whaddya know, the win chance there stayed static. Ohio is up to 84%

mdrudge

Neo Member
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cr...rats-hold-senate-edge-prior-to-final-weekend/

"In our private conversations with Democratic and Republican leaders, we see two diametrically opposed visions of the electorate — almost parallel universes — and two visions of how the election will shake out. Unsurprisingly, the Democrats AND the Republicans are confident of victory for their party in what is a close presidential contest. Democrats see favorable demographics and sturdy leads in enough states to get Obama over the magic 270-vote mark, while Republicans discern rumblings of a 1980-style wave that will not only ruin Obama, but also drown Democratic Senate candidates and ruin the reputations of many pollsters, particularly on the state level."

HylianTom

Banned
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cr...rats-hold-senate-edge-prior-to-final-weekend/

"In our private conversations with Democratic and Republican leaders, we see two diametrically opposed visions of the electorate — almost parallel universes — and two visions of how the election will shake out. Unsurprisingly, the Democrats AND the Republicans are confident of victory for their party in what is a close presidential contest. Democrats see favorable demographics and sturdy leads in enough states to get Obama over the magic 270-vote mark, while Republicans discern rumblings of a 1980-style wave that will not only ruin Obama, but also drown Democratic Senate candidates and ruin the reputations of many pollsters, particularly on the state level."

Ahh.. the classic "All the Pollsters Are Wrong" gambit. Let's see how it works out this time around!

johnsmith

remember me

They really do live in a bubble.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How are we sure that the Secret Service wouldn't lie for President Obama? Didn't he allow them unlimited Brazilian hookers?

Well they did get busted under his watch so I doubt it, unless he bought them all a bunch of blow of Halloween.

Yeah they are providing his security, you would think they would know.

That's my thinking. They're among the best trained armed guards in the world, I'd bet they could tell you exactly how many people were in a full room just by knowing it's dimensions. If anyone has a reason to keep a good count of the people in a room it's them.

nib95

Banned
I'm also going to go with the Secret Service on this one, and not because it's the lowest number. It's funny to see the Romney camp grossly exaggerate even that lol.

hym

Banned
How are we sure that the Secret Service wouldn't lie for President Obama? Didn't he allow them unlimited Brazilian hookers?

It's pretty clear Romney likes the Secret Service better than Obama, just look at their American Flag lapel pin.

Funny side note, lots of the Fox hosts wear them too, personally I think it makes them feel important.

Secret-Service-flag-pin_ebay.jpg

pigeon

Banned
@fivethirtyeight said:
Conditional upon Obama winning, his most likely outcomes are 332, 303, 347, 348, 333, 290, 281, 294, 318 electoral votes.

332 -- OH, VA, CO, NV, WI, IA, FL, NH; or in other words every swing state except North Carolina
303 -- 332 minus FL
347 -- 332 plus NC
348 -- 332 plus NC and NE-2
333 -- 332 plus NE-2
290 -- 332 minus FL, VA
281 -- 332 minus VA, CO
294 -- 332 minus FL, CO
318 -- 332 minus FL plus NC

Feeling good about my map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom