• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Electoral-Vote guy is also pretty solid.

He has it right now:
Obama: 281
Romney: 206
Tied: 51

Same day in 2008:
Obama: 353
McCain: 185
Tied: 0

Same day in 2004:
Kerry: 252
Bush: 259
Tied: 27

markatisu

The most under-reported story of these final few days is how fantastic and loyal Bill Clinton has been. In the final 2 weeks of the election he will have done 48 rallies for Obama across all the swing states, 3-4 rallies a day on average.

Agreed, I mean he campaigned almost as much as Romney did. if you were unaware he was doing it for Obama you would think he was running for President.

These numbers are right, right guys? I mean... We're using real math, right? Wang and silver are nothing like unskewed guy, right? Right? =/
Nate was only wrong about Indiana in 2008 (his model had McCain winning), and someone said he was only off by about five seats in 2010. So far, his model's been pretty reliable.

If the election turns out as his model predicts, I wonder if anyone will do a story on it after so many shat on him for one reason or another.

markatisu

Nate was only wrong about Indiana in 2008 (his model had McCain winning), and someone said he was only off by about five seats in 2010. So far, his model's been pretty reliable.

If the election turns out as his model predicts, I wonder if anyone will do a story on it after so many shat on him for one reason or another.

It will be amazing given all this horserace narrative bs to have a complete and total blowout of the EC

I could see the daily show doing a great piece on it if silver turns out to be dead on.

bananas

Banned
I wonder, if Nate is basically right what do liberals do if he shows in 2016 a consistent lead for Rubio or whomever is the GOP nominee. Will liberals go into denial about Silver?
In 2010, I believe people mostly ignored or tried to focus on the good parts (there's a 15% chance the dems will keep the house! Hope is alive!)

But no one attacked him.

I wonder, if Nate is basically right what do liberals do if he shows in 2016 a consistent lead for Rubio or whomever is the GOP nominee. Will liberals go into denial about Silver?
More than a few will. Look him up on DailyKos and you'll see plenty of diary post that boil down to "gotv is more important than Nate's model, lets do this!" The posts are more to combat complacency but it'a not hard to see that argument being used by multiple old school liberals if Nate showed a dem down. Joe Trippi also made a somewhat condescending comment about his model right before the first debate.

I've spent enough time around old liberals to know they're very delusional and untrusting of the Internet. From believing polls on websites are meaningful to thinking Halo subliminally taught kids to be republicans/pro war.

Oni Jazar

I'm going to Obama's rally tomorrow in Hollywood Florida. He is going to be there and the doors open at 12:30. What time do you think I should get there?

JCizzle

I know someone posted an article defending Nate (and common sense/math itself) in this thread last night, does anyone happen to have it? I believe it was from the Atlantic or TPM. It highlighted some of the homophobic shit thrown his way.

aceface

Amazing that percentage wise on fivethrityeight Obama is just about back to where he was before the first debate and right after the 47% tape.

RDreamer

Gingrich and Santorum are probably going to be the first two out there yelling at the top of their lungs "See, we told you not to pick him! We told you he was the worst possible nominee to face Obama!"

Brinbe

If Romney loses this cycle, they're going hard right. Santorum everywhere

Yep, totally agreed! Everyone thought they'd modernize themselves after 08 and it didn't happen. No way it's happening now. There's no logic to that party, stop thinking like that. They only double down and shift rightward, do you expect Fox/Rush/and that conservative echo chamber to drift to the center!? Jesus...

Anyone that thinks it's happening especially after they picked yet another moderate RINO is mistaken.

They're only getting crazier from Wednesday onward. It's guarandamnteed.

Tim-E

The Republican base thinks Romney is a moderate. If he loses, they're going to blame it on the fact that he was a moderate. It'll take another cycle or two for them to fully realize that they're the problem.

The Republican base thinks Romney is a moderate. If he loses, they're going to blame it on the fact that he was a moderate. It'll take another cycle or two for them to fully realize that they're the problem.

I think this is what's going to happen. They are going to go hard right, further into Crazy Town

pigeon

Banned
Nate sez that unless the state polls are all wrong, Obama is gonna win

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...olls-must-be-statistically-biased/#more-37099

Nate reading my posts again.

These numbers are right, right guys? I mean... We're using real math, right? Wang and silver are nothing like unskewed guy, right? Right? =/

Nate did a whole post yesterday about how you can do the math yourself if you want using the same publically available data. Sam's algorithm is much simpler an has always even downloadable. But all you have to do is look at the actual polls. The rule of thumb is, if one candidate leads in 95% of the polls, they're gonna win. Not exactly wizardry,

markatisu

Not to mention in the primaries Santorum won Iowa and almost won Ohio, many in the party are going to think they should have stuck with their principles and go further right

Tim-E

For them to realize that they're going to have to moderate to start winning again, they're going to have to nominate a far right nut like Santorum and see them get absolutely destroyed in a general election. If they keep it up by nominating someone like Rubio or Christie, republicans that aren't far right nuts, they will once again think that they weren't conservative enough.

Romney isn't anything. Not a moderate, a liberal, nor a conservative.

He's simply the shell of a corporation running for President trying to masquerade as a human being.

Marco Rubio
Chris Christie
Susana Martinez
Rick Santorum
Mitch Daniels

I think will be the top tier candidates in 2016 for GOP.
I think the funniest thing will be watching Santorum fail. He probably thinks his primary run made him the "next in line" guy republicans typically nominate, but 2012 will be full of formidable opponents this time. If Christie rebuilds NJ he will be well poised to win; the state's unemployment rate will certainly lower as construction jobs open up for the repair process. If he was smart he would lose some weight, not just for his health but to show people he can be disciplined.

I think Rick Perry could be tough too. He'll be healthier and better prepared. I'm still surprised he was so completely rejected by the tea party; really shows the depth of anti immigration in the far right.

Jeb Bush is the best choice IMO but I don't think he'll be trusted enough. He's capable of winning moderates and isn't afraid of the far right, but his immigration views may be toxic to them. Especially if Obama manages to do anything about the issue before 2016; anything he passes will be reviled on the right, but probably moderate enough for Bush to support

Tim-E

Romney isn't anything. Not a moderate, a liberal, nor a conservative.

He's simply the shell of a corporation running for President trying to masquerade as a human being.

I think the Romney of the 90s-early 2000s is more honest and probably more representative of how he really feels about things, but he clearly isn't ashamed to ignore every position he's ever had in order to be more appealing to a different audience.

For them to realize that they're going to have to moderate to start winning again, they're going to have to nominate a far right nut like Santorum and see them get absolutely destroyed in a general election. If they keep it up by nominating someone like Rubio or Christie, republicans that aren't far right nuts, they will once again think that they weren't conservative enough.

What helped was that Americans rewarded GOP for their far right move in 2010, whatever the reasons for that. Once you get a wave like that, they were not going to be able to move away from it.

Tim-E

What helped was that Americans rewarded GOP for their far right move in 2010, whatever the reasons for that. Once you get a wave like that, they were not going to be able to move away from it.

Yep. It gives them something to point at and say that batshit conservatism is viable to voters, even though that type of bullshit is much more difficult to sell in a general election.

What's with the ! in "Forward!" on signs at rallies now? Must explain the surge in polls.

pigeon

Banned

I think "them" is tricky. There was an American Conservative post about this -- every member of a losing coalition thinks the coalition needed to be more like them. So no matter what there will be Santorum and Rand Paul shillers after Romney goes down. But the coalition also has a lot of people who just wan to win, or Romney would never have been nominated -- he represents the unworkable compromise between the two sides. I think a lot depends on the specific events of th nex term.

No way Romney runs again. His entire image is built on being the "only" guy who can win. Being a loser will ruin that image. This is his year, his chance: if he can't win now, it's over. The magnitude of his disappointment will be a marvel; same with his wife's. they truly believe he is entitled to the presidency, and I think there are religious undertones to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom