• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trurl

Banned
How about your mom? I'm curious whether she had changed her mind to vote for the secret Kenyan Muslim and atheist

No. I still talk to her about politics, but I've given up hope of her ever changing.

She can listen to any report and spin to find how it's a positive for Republicans. Someone here mentioned that their parents' views changed after they stopped watching to Fox News, but my mom has started listening to NPR and is convinced that they're in the tank for Romney with her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pssssh. America hasn't had a fat president since William Howard Taft.

I just volunteered to drive people to the polls on election day.

excellent. this is the best opportunity to convince the old people you'll be driving to the polls that they should vote for obama. they'll be so thankful for the ride that they (in my experience) will return the favor with a vote for the person you're working for.

there's been countless election days and early voting periods where our biggest goal is 1) renting enough vans to drive folks to polls and 2) the soft, but convincing sell

I like how you look at one part of the electorate and call it good.

Hint: people have also voted early. Derpity.
Obama's ev vote lead isn't enough though. Ohio will be the surprise of the night, nearly every poll shows good news for Romney when you actually look at all the numbers. From ridiculous dem ID leads to Romney's clear Election Day voter lead. If you halve the 8-9 point dem ID leads you get Obama being up by barely three points. Add in margin of error and an increase in white voters and it's a dead heat. And Husted will take it from there.

Trurl

Banned
excellent. this is the best opportunity to convince the old people you'll be driving to the polls that they should vote for obama. they'll be so thankful for the ride that they (in my experience) will return the favor with a vote for the person you're working for.

there's been countless election days and early voting periods where our biggest goal is 1) renting enough vans to drive folks to polls and 2) the soft, but convincing sell

It sounds like the people on my list will be expected supporters of Obama anyway. I'll probably wear an Obama button, but I don't know if I'll feel comfortable selling it much more than that unless they ask me. I don't want them to feel pressured into voting a certain way just because I'm giving them a ride.

The right wing outrage machine over gotv has infiltrated my conscience. :-(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Obama's ev vote lead isn't enough though. Ohio will be the surprise of the night, nearly every poll shows good news for Romney when you actually look at all the numbers. From ridiculous dem ID leads to Romney's clear Election Day voter lead. If you halve the 8-9 point dem ID leads you get Obama being up by barely three points. Add in margin of error and an increase in white voters and it's a dead heat. And Husted will take it from there.

Amazing.

sounds about right /diablos

Bowdz

youregoodyou-analyzetagujn.gif

So who's the current frontrunner for the Democratic nominee in 2016?

Hillary if she wants it. Beyond that, I'd imagine the top tier to be Patrick and Cuomo.

this is lazy. This is just the GOP narrative right now.No creativity.

norinrad

2/10

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
My grandmother just voted today in Florida. +1 Obama. She also said she voted straight democrat even if she had no idea who they were for the various position because she says that republicans have been "disgusting" these past few years.

It IS going to be a close race. Even Silver says that with a poll sample size of 17000, even if unbiased, the MOE is still like 1.5% and Obama's lead in OH polls is hovering around 2-3. Add in the Husted factor and its really close.

I heard you mention that and a few other people say it isn't what it sounded like. Do you have a link to the tossed votes?

Tendo

Mock election at our school was yesterday and students had to include why they were voting for that candidate. We even split the grades into electoral votes. Obama crushed it with students primarily citing health care and education as their reasons.

Hopium - not just for now, but for the future.

Man did I need that after this week...

Amir0x

Banned
Ignoring the PD derail for a moment (again... god, guys, that IS why he trolls you know), I wanted just to comment on the so-called "Jon Husted factor" that many liberals who are not trolls are genuinely fretting about.

I just wanted to know what they think he is going to be able to do, exactly, to impact the outcome? There is like an army of five trillion poll watchers in Ohio, as it is the only state anyone cares about. What, if any, action can Jon Husted do to actively change the outcome in any county? I'm just trying to get into the mind of these people.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wow, at 538 now the only tossup state is Florida. I'm considering a fast to prepare for the salty tears.

This man speaks the truth. The truth is bad news for Obama.

HylianTom

Banned
Unprecedented micro-targeting by campaigns creeps out voters

solicitations. For weeks, she's been receiving three political robocalls per day related to the presidential election. On Thursday, she got seven.

But one call she got on Halloween still haunts her. It was a recorded message read by a presidential candidate trying to get her to vote.

"It was Mitt Romney saying, 'I know you have an absentee ballot and I know you haven't sent it in yet,' " Trulen said in an interview. "That just sent me over the line. Not only is it like Big Brother. It is Big Brother. It's down to where they know I have a ballot and I haven't sent it in! I thought when I requested the ballot that the only other entity that would know was the Mukwonago clerk."

Trulen isn't the only voter among Wisconsin's much-courted electorate who is getting creeped out by the political campaigns' unprecedented, uncanny ability to micro-target voters who are likely to vote for their candidate.

I've always thought that Romney was a bit creepy, and now the evidence is coming in.

No. I still talk to her about politics, but I've given up hope of her ever changing.

She can listen to any report and spin to find how it's a positive for Republicans. Someone here mentioned that their parents' views changed after they stopped watching to Fox News, but my mom has started listening to NPR and is convinced that they're in the tank for Romney with her.
That shows how unbiased NPR is. The only bias is her confirmation bias.

That argument doesn't discredit Nate and is largely the correct reaction. If people start giving up just because Nate Silver has them down then we'll have to ask ourselves if these aggregators are actually in the public interest.

Yeah, it's possible that GOTV is more important than Nate's model. I heard a pollster on public radio say that voters are only counted as likely voters if they say they're "extremely likely" to vote. So it's entirely possible that GOTV initiatives could sway some apathetic voters who wouldn't have been picked up in polling.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Republicans in my family think Romney is going to win. Fox News (or as they call it conservative news) + national polls I guess leads to that conclusion.

I've always thought that Romney was a bit creepy, and now the evidence is coming in.

Every campaign worth their salt does this, though. Especially during the early vote period. You know who's voted and who hasn't. And what their preferred method is. Then you follow up until they do actually vote. If you're not doing this, you're either 1) lacking resources 2) going to lose.

HylianTom

Banned
Every campaign worth their salt does this, though. Especially during the early vote period. You know who's voted and who hasn't. And what their preferred method is. Then you follow up until they do actually vote. If you're not doing this, you're either 1) lacking resources 2) going to lose.

Yeah, but the combination of the wording and his voice.. it's just.. ewww. Especially if you imagine him saying it in his creepy voice. I know that they do these, but damn, they could've worded their script better.

edit: upon further review (watching football here), I think it's the repetition of "I know." The reinforcement may be a bit heavy. There are some places where parallelism in writing is appropriate, but this isn't it.

pigeon

Banned

This is true in general but obviously Romney doesn't have the chops to lure voters with recorded messages of how he knows all about them. Christie, maybe.

"Listen. Why the fuck haven't you sent in your ballot? Yeah, that's right, I know about that. What are you going to do about it?"

RDreamer

This is true in general but obviously Romney doesn't have the chops to lure voters with recorded messages of how he knows all about them. Christie, maybe.

"Listen. Why the fuck haven't you sent in your ballot? Yeah, that's right, I know about that. What are you going to do about it?"

They need to get Samuel L Jackson in on it. "I've had it with your motherfucking procrastinating in this motherfucking election! You have your ballot! FILL. IT. OUT."

Amir0x

Banned

Because of this:

“He’d be great anywhere there are ordinary white men,” the official said. “They would have loved him because here’s this straight-talking, hard-charging, in-your-face guy, and he’s a man’s man. Ohio is the only battleground state where Mitt has a net negative gender gap — where his approval among men doesn’t outweigh the president’s approval among women. Chris Christie changes that.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83254.html#ixzz2BBCWBKxb

Excuse making for why the campaign lost, specifically in Ohio. The "Romney official" is getting the standard excuses out on the record before the election happens.

cashman

Banned
I had a friend on twitter credit falling gas prices on "president Romney" it amused me so I thought I would share.

Mitt Romney is about to become the new president and gas prices are going down.... Imagine that!! #elephant

Amir0x

Banned
tell him if he understands seasonal fluctuations in gas prices

and then follow it up by immediately cutting the thought off and saying "nevermind, this is probably too complicated for a confirmed retard."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom