• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already thwarted 2 groups of door to door knockers today.
E67col.jpg

icE56EDNoN5vy.gif

That's one way to get canvassers off your back.

Teleportation. It's the only way to go further into absurdity.

Or they'll send Wolf Blitzer one day into the future so he knows the outcome of the election, but he can't tell anybody the results or he'll screw up the future. So every time a state gets called, he'll just be like "yep, I knew it."

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
That's one way to get canvassers off your back.

I have to work today so I'm sitting here in my office with a perfect view of my driveway. It was funny to see them start walking up the driveway, see the sign, then do an about-face.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Or they'll send Wolf Blitzer one day into the future so he knows the outcome of the election, but he can't tell anybody the results or he'll screw up the future. So every time a state gets called, he'll just be like "yep, I knew it."

My god, I would watch the hell out of that...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The only State that matters, apparently. Ohio.

Here in WA, I have seen a grand total of five Romney bumper stickers. Last election every other truck had McCain Palin and there were hundreds of Bush Cheney's back in the day. But this time I think republicans have more energy to hate on Obama than they do to love Romney Ryan. They simply aren't bothering to support them. I think the Obama hate will translate into votes against him, but they won't be voting for RR(r).

Although I never saw a republican bumper sticker on Subaru Outback until Friday last week.

Here in WA, I have seen a grand total of five Romney bumper stickers. Last election every other truck had McCain Palin and there were hundreds of Bush Cheney's back in the day. But this time I think republicans have more energy to hate on Obama than they do to love Romney Ryan. They simply aren't bothering to support them. I think the Obama hate will translate into votes against him, but they won't be voting for RR(r).

Although I never saw a republican bumper sticker on Subaru Outback until Friday last week.

Gosh, I wish I could say the same. Nothing but Romney/Ryan stickers and lawn signs here in Maine, I barely see any O stickers.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

If you look at my edit you can see I live in the polar opposite.

Q: Why isn't the US General Election OT up over on Off Topic yet? We're well within the 7 days before limit.
I was thinking the same thing the other day, but with how fast this thread still moves we'd need an OT2 in the middle of the election. I guess that's a good reason to wait for the day itself.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, but with how fast this thread still moves we'd need an OT2 in the middle of the election. I guess that's a good reason to wait for the day itself.

You think this thread moves fast now? Wait till election night thread hahaha. I guarantee it'll be 15k posts by Wednesday.

Puddles

Banned
Why is Matt Yglesias famous? Was he ever a good blogger? He seems like one of those rottentomatoes critics who got in at ground level and for some reason is still getting hits 5+ years later.

Why is Matt Yglesias famous? Was he ever a good blogger? He seems like one of those rottentomatoes critics who got in at ground level and for some reason is still getting hits 5+ years later.

He's been around since the get-go and has a lot of readers. TAPPED when he was on it was a great read. I don't know if I like his style over at Slate that much, though his thoughts on the Eurozone stuff are pretty interesting if you are like me and just want the highlight reel.

Puddles

Banned
He's been around since the get-go and has a lot of readers. TAPPED when he was on it was a great read. I don't know if I like his style over at Slate that much, though his thoughts on the Eurozone stuff are pretty interesting if you are like me and just want the highlight reel.

I'm trying to put together a good portfolio of blogs to follow on a regular basis. Krugman pretty much towers over everyone right now. IMO, no one beats him for readable expert analysis. Klein is great for 60 second recaps. I'm also learning a ton about stats from Sam Wang.

Kusagari

When I went back home to turn in my absentee last weekend, I don't trust the damn mail, the entire line in the main office of my county was just talking about how much Romney sucks.

dat Broward County.

Is there any legislation waiting for after the elections? I know the fiscal cliff, debt ceiling are coming up, plus a lame duck session thing, but come on, I want to see some fucking legislation pass. These people were elected to pass legislation, not dick around.

Is there any legislation waiting for after the elections? I know the fiscal cliff, debt ceiling are coming up, plus a lame duck session thing, but come on, I want to see some fucking legislation pass. These people were elected to pass legislation, not dick around.

At the end of the day, they're politicians. They're there to dick around.

Puddles

Banned

I'm pretty sure Republican leaders have come out saying that they weren't going to pass anything until after the election.

They were so certain that this election would be a referendum on Obama and a crushing defeat for the left that they've been running down the clock, so to speak. If the Democrats make big gains, they'll have to start governing again.

I'm pretty sure Republican leaders have come out saying that they weren't going to pass anything until after the election.

They were so certain that this election would be a referendum on Obama and a crushing defeat for the left that they've been running down the clock, so to speak. If the Democrats make big gains, they'll have to start governing again.
Depending on how many seats democrats pick up, this would also be the last opportunity for many tea party republicans to have any say in the country's policies.

Kusagari

If they get absolutely shellacked Tuesday, I'm really curious to see what Boehner does.

Try to finally reign in the Tea Party? Continue giving in? Go insane?

He's pretty good. I haven't payed attention to him much recently outside of twitter, but his Eurozone coverage was essential. Although he did write a pretty awesome article about occupational licensing in A Dance With Dragons
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...ce_what_daenerys_targaryen_needs_to_know.html
(minor spoilers)

Rocket Scientist, if I'm wrong I don't know where I got this impression from, but you aren't from the US, right? Where are you from?
Wait until Monday for OT I say.

And let Dax create it. Or Ghal

Why me? What do you want from me, CS?!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Blue compared to the polling average. It's definitely possible that there's a small systematic bias in most polls (and thus in the average) towards the Republicans because of cell phones, English-only interviews, likely voter screens not considering early voting, etc.

Genuine question, though: can anybody actually think of a systematic problem the polls might have that would cause them to be tilted towards Democrats and away from Republicans across the board? And not the bullshit 2008 turnout thing either -- if Romney wins, there basically has to be some reason why the polls are all wrong. Are there any actual possible things that suggest themselves?

Sure, they formulate their likely voter questions in weird ways. This is how they slant polls - a certain number of respondents are cut off for various reasons.

How do exit polls work with so much of the voting being turned to absentee and early votes?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm hoping that Boehner and McConnell are good enough politicians to recognize when something didn't work. Hopefully in the second they will try some other way to be successful besides trying to make Obama a one term president.

Puddles

Banned
Sure, they formulate their likely voter questions in weird ways. This is how they slant polls - a certain number of respondents are cut off for various reasons.

How do exit polls work with so much of the voting being turned to absentee and early votes?

The right is REALLY clinging to the "polls are oversampling Democrats" narrative. I just did a google search for that phrase and found all kinds of hits.

Someone is going to get fucking owned on Tuesday night, and I just hope it isn't us.

Nervous. Hopeful, but nervous.

Not that they're of comparable importance, but anything on Initiative 502? Gay marriage and marijuana legalization in the same year would be HUGE for civil rights.

I'm trying to put together a good portfolio of blogs to follow on a regular basis. Krugman pretty much towers over everyone right now. IMO, no one beats him for readable expert analysis. Klein is great for 60 second recaps. I'm also learning a ton about stats from Sam Wang.

If you are a fan of Krugthulu, then you're probably at least somewhat left leaning, which makes John Cole's Balloon Juice must-read material. He and his team are down to earth without the activist BS of the DailyKos types or the infinite litmus tests of a Glenn Greenwald or to a much lesser extent Digby. Check it out:

http://www.balloon-juice.com/

As a bonus, super snarky with a great comments section. Atrios is still really good if you're just looking for one-off links and drive by snark.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
One of the most accessible and insightful economic writers in the media, though I admit that I only read him on occasion. His work is more extensive and thorough than Ezra Klein but also more original and interesting than most other other business and economic writers with the exception of Krugman, who deals more with macroeconomic theory anyway.

Rocket Scientist, if I'm wrong I don't know where I got this impression from, but you aren't from the US, right? Where are you from?
Haha, no I'm not, I am from the Netherlands (Don't worry, I'm wearing my ''DO NOT EUTHANISIA ME'' bracelet!) Why do you ask?
At the end of the day, they're politicians. They're there to dick around.

Bad news for America =(

Puddles

Banned
One of the most accessible and insightful economic writers in the media, though I admit that I only read him on occasion. His work is more extensive and thorough than Ezra Klein but also more original and interesting than most other other business and economic writers with the exception of Krugman, who deals more with macroeconomic theory anyway.

Maybe I read the wrong Yglesias articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom