• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Noise until proven otherwise.

DeSQk.png
Goddam

Amir0x

Banned
Election OT- The only poll that matters.

sorry it's just how I feel.

everyone feels that way. it's a pretty obvious, unnecessary statement

polls matter only in so much as they tell us exactly where things are going to end up in all likelihood in "the only poll that matters."

coldfoot

Banned
The non-union thing is just factually wrong. It hasn't been in the news in the affected areas at all, there are plenty of papers in Jersey that have written articles disproving it and Christie himself said it was shit. That said you can feel that way if you want to I have a cousin that has a union job and he went through a lot of training in order to get it, he may not have gone to college but he's certainly worked hard enough to earn the wages he's paid and the benefits he gets.
Unless he went thru 4 more years of trAining than a college worker, he's probably too spoiled IMHO.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Someone needs to go through the thread and collect all the fanfics. We can combine into a novella and publish on Politico.

So it seems that there are a few ways this could go:

A) The makeup of the electorate is similar to years past, but Obama's turnout really does match 2008.
B) Many Republicans have gone independent, and that's why Democrats are +8 in some polls.
C) Romney isn't really leading independents by the margin that the polls show.
D) The polls are wrong, and Romney wins.

Am I missing any? And which would you say is the reason for this apparent discrepancy?

Yeah, it is mostly B, IMHO. When we were mired in a quagmire war over stockpiles of WMDs and then entire financial world melted down with Bush looking like he just wanted to go home and watch baseball, a lot of people switched from registered Republicans to Independents. And the anti-intellectual tea-party probably has not helped that much. But those people remained conservative even if they didn't identify as Republican. Hence lowered registered Republican numbers and 'independents' often breaking for Romney.

But there just is no '2008 model' being used. That is some myth that got created by someone.

WatTsu

Whatever happens on Tuesday (and we pretty much know what will) I just want to say as a mostly lurker, this is probably my current favorite thread on NeoGAF and honest to goodness one of the better political communities/forums I've seen online.

Keep the hopium alive.

There are a couple reasons Obama has pulled into this small lead. One is that he's turned what had been a persistent disadvantage with independents into a 49/44 advantage. The other is that he's reduced what had been a 20+ point deficit with white voters back down to a 57/40 spread. When you combine that with his 89/9 lead among African Americans and 67/28 edge with Hispanics it's the formula for a small overall lead.
PPPP

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Whatever happens on Tuesday (and we pretty much know what will) I just want to say as a mostly lurker, this is probably my current favorite thread on NeoGAF and honest to goodness one of the better political communities/forums I've seen online.

Keep the hopium alive.

No, no, no. Romney wins and you would see this place be a VERY, VERY bad place for at least a month after inauguration. PoliGAF is at its best when Dems are firing on all cylinders. It gets pretty back-alley dicey when they lose.

Trurl

Banned
No, no, no. Romney wins and you would see this place be a VERY, VERY bad place for at least a month after inauguration. PoliGAF is at its best when Dems are firing on all cylinders. It gets pretty back-alley dicey when they lose.
Definitely. This thread was unreadable after the first debate.

Unrelated: I mentioned that earlier that I volunteered to give people rides to the polls. It turns out that that was a misunderstanding, I actually volunteered to drive around a canvasser for 3 hours on election day. :-(

Oh well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

This isn't the alleyways of Jersey City, it's not all switchblades and cherrytops. Though the cops (pundits) are trying to bust Madame Marie (Nate) for telling fortunes better than they do.

Is tonight snl night? How possible is it that we'll see a surprise from O or M? Did we know McCain was going to drop by beforehand or did he sneak up on people? There was an article about the comedy and late night shows really trying to get mitt and Obama on. I guess after tonight there's only Monday left for surprises when it comes to tv appearances? Safe to say it's not going to happen then.

I posted pictures in the sandy thread. If you experience something like me, your viewpoint will change.

However my point stands: Us non-college educated workers are lazy and spoiled in general. That's exactly why we are losing jobs to China.

you CAN'T be this stupid

Puddles

Banned
There are a couple reasons Obama has pulled into this small lead. One is that he's turned what had been a persistent disadvantage with independents into a 49/44 advantage...

Awesome; now the unskewedpolls argument has no foundation whatsoever. So basically scenarios B and C in my breakdown are both true.

Hopium levels restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom