• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBonk

Interesting that Montana is leaning less towards Romney than NC is on 538. The update went from like 98% Romney to 78%. What the hell happened there?

pigeon

Banned
Hm, something's funky with his Montana prediction. He's got the polling average as only +2 Romney but the listed polls show nothing like that, and there hasn't been one since mid-October.

NICE WORK now he's rerunning it because he put in a Montana poll wrong. If you hadn't posted it in PoliGAF he would never have noticed.

IrishNinja

almost 3 hours early voting here in FL...goddamn, only romney and fire obamas signs in the cuban/nica district i live in, barry's as popular as ozzie guillén's farewell party. these rethuglicans came prepared though, they were handing out slim blue papers saying who to vote for & which amendments to the FL constitution to back, which sure beat translating 8 pages of legalese on the fly for many people around me, we really should write these things more concisely.

arranged a vote trade here on GAF, so my 3rd party vote went to a lock state & i went obamanos in my swing one, natch. even my conservative & libertarian friends over here cant see romney winning the electoral, and some of them watch fox all day. PD can stay worried though haha

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I oppose abortion after the fetus has brain function. A lot of my liberal friends disagree with me, so I just don't bring it up. Often it seems that if you aren't completely on board with any abortion, any time, you're a patriarchal misogynist who just wants to control women's bodies. At least in a blue state like California. It does get frustrating.

Also this. I had a conversation with my religio-conservative parents recently where I brought up the study showing that free contraception dramatically lowered abortion rates. I basically told them that if they really want to stop abortions because they think abortion = murder, that they have to support increasing access to birth control. That they can have fewer abortions or fewer people on birth control, but not both. I think I almost got my mom on board with that.

Brain function is nice, I could amend my position for brain function, since I consider someone alive to have brain function... That is better than a heart beat, since those rare humanoids like Dick Cheney don't have a heartbeat, but they do have brain function (even if it is of the dastardly kind)

Cloudy

Banned
BTW I don't like the idea of later-term abortions at all. I don't think they should be illegal because it's still the woman's body but I think you should decide pretty early if you're not going to keep a pregnancy

Guess I just want to protect more life than you libs out there...

/deliberately smug asshole post.

But seriously, I do :p

Once again, so as to not confuse anyone:

I am all for universal healthcare, free and easy birth control (obviously I am against pre-marital sex due to being Mormon, but understand that exactly 99% of the country feels differently :p ), and exceptions for rape/incest/life of mother. I would make adoptions a benefit to anyone willing to do so for newborns/infants and have mothers who choose to do the honorable and sensible thing and deliver the baby be taken care of with any counseling necessary, paid time away from employment due to the pregnancy and delivery/recovery and the guarantee of job protection.

But, as part of my quest for personal responsibility and the protection of all life, I would fully support a ban on abortions in all other instances.

Well I have to say you're one of the few people on this issue I legitimately respect even if I completely disagree on the ban. If we could enact all of those policies I wouldn't be vehemently oppposed to a ban even if I wouldn't vote for it. The biggest problem is that if Romney took an anti abortion stand and was for real about passing legislation you would be voting in the ban without any account for people's well being since universal healthcare and all those other things would not be passed.

Brain function is nice, I could amend my position for brain function,

Brain function is much later than the heartbeat just so you know

Clipjoint

I don't get anti-abortion advocates who support it in the case or rape, incest, or the life of the mother. Either it's a life and it shouldn't be killed, or it's not. Can't have it both ways.

pigeon

Banned
I am all for universal healthcare, free and easy birth control (obviously I am against pre-marital sex due to being Mormon, but understand that exactly 99% of the country feels differently :p ), and exceptions for rape/incest/life of mother. I would make adoptions a benefit to anyone willing to do so for newborns/infants and have mothers who choose to do the honorable and sensible thing and deliver the baby be taken care of with any counseling necessary, paid time away from employment due to the pregnancy and delivery/recovery and the guarantee of job protection.

But, as part of my quest for personal responsibility and the protection of all life, I would fully support a ban on abortions in all other instances.

If I were going to agree with a ban on abortions, this would be the platform that I would agree with. (Except that I think the adoption change is exactly backwards and we need to discourage people from adopting newborns as much as possible so that we end up with less foster kids falling through the cracks. They'll still adopt all the (edit: white, healthy) newborns that we produce.)

Personally, I think even without the ban, changes of this nature would do a lot to lower the abortion rate.

But when it comes to reproductive health, as I said in the other thread, my number one priority is to develop more effective birth control (and STD prevention). For example, RISUG should be a free service in America.

Not sure if serious.

On which part? Children suck. I discourage any and everyone from having them, because I don't want a single one of them on my lawn, crying and yelling in public places, and touching everything with their crap-covered hands (although adults do enough of that, too). But if for some reason you do decide to go down the path that could lead to a child being conceived, and sure enough one is, then I believe it is murder to abort it.

Chumly

Well I have to say you're one of the few people on this issue I legitimately respect even if I completely disagree on the ban. If we could enact all of those policies I wouldn't be vehemently oppposed to a ban even if I wouldn't vote for it. The biggest problem is that if Romney took an anti abortion stand and was for real about passing legislation you would be voting in the ban without any account for people's well being since universal healthcare and all those other things would not be passed.

Not allowing abortions would drastically increase the welfare-state with medicaid, food stamps, welfare etc etc. With the GOP drastically cutting all of those we would have greatly increased poverty.

JCizzle

I don't get anti-abortion advocates who support it in the case or rape, incest, or the life of the mother. Either it's a life and it shouldn't be killed, or it's not. Can't have it both ways.

I agree with this.

Edit : I disagree, but consider it to be the only viable counter argument

Exactly. Most of the right wing is pro-birth not pro life. They couldn't care what happens to the child, whether it;s cared for has access to all the necessities and health care. They just want people to give birth, quality of life doesn't matter though. Otherwise universal healthcare, womens rights and gay parents being able to adopt (it would open up many new options for children in foster homes) these would be things the right would stand for.

or the life of the mother. Either it's a life and it shouldn't be killed, or it's not. Can't have it both ways.

Wait really? You don't see how they could support the killing of the fetus when the mother will possibly die and take the fetus along with her?Rape and incest does make sense though, although the reason people will support it in those cases is because its politcally bad to not do so.

Life of the mother only. Bird in one hand vs. two in the bush, as the saying goes.

As sad as the situation is, I do not support it in the case of rape. It's tragic, and it is enraging, but that does not negate life.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Exactly why I can never base my vote on abortion stance of the candidate. :(

I appreciate that you see why and how I base my position and realize that I am not being a mysogynist, but instead merely wish to protect life and at the same time try to cover all the bases into those that must make a huge sacrifice (I have seen my wife carry one baby to term and now she is 8 months through another one, I know how hard it must be for her) should get a recompense for that sacrifice.

It is my number one issue, though, but one that must be necessarily tucked away for when I eventually create my utopian compound that declares sovereignty and then is promptly raided by the ATF/FBI/etc.

The Islamic republic's economy has plummeted in the grip of punitive economic measures and Tehran indicated earlier this month that it would be willing to negotiate. However, the offer to suspend enrichment required so many concessions that it was dismissed by the United States.

Welp

RDreamer

Just sounds like the US played hardball with them and may have won out. Iran said they'd suspend, but they wanted to much so the US said they could fuck off. Now they've suspended in hopes that some sanctions would be lifted. This shows the US definitely has the upper hand and they really want those sanctions gone.

Diablos

My final prediction:

UQuUR.png

Grakl

This deserves its own thread. Even ignoring the elections entirely this is serious good news. I would like to imagine it would matter to the election but probably the biggest effect is ensuring there won't be a big negative foreign policy story.

Made.

Anti-abortion except for life of the mother. Yes, religious grounds. I believe it is murder.

That said, like AlteredBeast, I am also anti-death penalty and pro-universal healthcare.

Oddly, I despise children and would kindly wish that everyone would stop procreating. The next politician to come along and propose a kid free America is the politician with some change I can believe in.
Religious grounds is the only way I can understand such positions. I still don't agree with them when one believes in god or not. For the religious, well, god is the #1 abortionist and there is no hard & clear rule in the Bible against abortion. For the non religious, well, a fetus is just not a sentient human that has gained rights yet.

border

I don't get the "religious grounds" objection for abortion.

There is no scriptural support for being pro-life or pro-choice, so you essentially just admit you're going to believe whatever your pope or pastor tells you to believe. Think about it ethically and come to your own conclusion, but don't just automatically agree with whatever your church says.

It's hilarious how many people sold on the "sanctity of life" were completely unopposed to stuff like the Iraq War, despite so many contrary teachings from Jesus. Yet the same people want to force a rape/incest victim to carry an unwanted child to term.

I also really hate chimpanzee research getting back to ethical topics. I think a creatures that have the capacity to understand who they are and become that sentient shouldn't be forced to basically be slaves. I understand how valuable the info they give us, but we could also be doing research on 2 year olds but no one would dare suggest that.
There is no scriptural support for being pro-life or pro-choice, so you essentially just admit you're going to believe whatever your pope or pastor tells you to believe.

Besides the whole life begins at conception which is debatable in terms of the actual scripture.

apana

Life doesn't begin until Sony says so.

Lame joke, but I am tired. All this abortion talk is making me gloomy. Somebody show me some polls.

Any chance this Iran thing is big news the next 2 days? This can only be positive news for Obama. And not in a slight way.

HANNITY: "Do you wonder why the Iranians want to make a deal now, at this point? The Iranians know that a Romney Administration will crack down on them so they would rather keep status quo in the White House so they can keep going with their nuke plans after the election."

Puddles

Banned
I also really hate chimpanzee research getting back to ethical topics. I think a creatures that have the capacity to understand who they are and become that sentient shouldn't be forced to basically be slaves. I understand how valuable the info they give us, but we could also be doing research on 2 year olds but no one would dare suggest that.

Fuck that.

If Romney supported chimpanzee extermination, he'd get my vote.

Marvie_3

Banned
HANNITY: "Do you wonder why the Iranians want to make a deal now, at this point? The Iranians know that a Romney Administration will crack down on them so they would rather keep status quo in the White House so they can keep going with their nuke plans after the election."
Muslim country wants to help get a Muslim President re-elected.

I think abortion is an important discussion but not necessarily a political one and certainly not a reason to vote one way of the other. It's a carrot on a string for both sides. When W was in the White House for 8 years what steps did he take to change anything about abortion? Do you really think the moderate Mitt Romney is going to do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom