• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls
Our final Montana President poll finds Mitt Romney leading Barack Obama 52-45

PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls
Our final Montana Senate poll finds Jon Tester leading Denny Rehberg 48-46. We have consistently found Tester up 2 since Labor Day

it really sucks 2010 was redistricting.

It really sucks liberals couldn't convince people to go out to vote in what is literally the most important midterm election in a decade.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Lines in Florida have been extremely long. Someone on dkos said 9 hour wait for him.

Republicans reduced early voting days and hours for 2012, as it basically won Obama the state in 2008. 2008 EV was 14 days, this time it is 8 days. No Sunday EV and times reduced too.

Picture from the 9 hour guy, who do you think all these people are voting for?

voting.jpg

My grandmother was there saturday! I'm not sure how long it took her, I'm going to call her later.

Schweitzer is like the most charismatic guy on the planet.

I'll admit that I don't know much about him but I can see clintonian-type vibes from him.

I think he'd also be a great advocate for clean energy if that becomes a bigger issue. Booker, Biden, Clinton and him are my picks for 2016.

What's with all the stupid Florida ballot measures. Some of them are just unconstitutional on their face.

Am I crazy if I theorize that there has been an intentional plan to create an unnecessarily long ballot as a back-door voter suppression mechanism since it creates longer lines and thus dissuades people from voting?

fuck State's rights. A Federal independent electoral body should be created to make sure that there are no irregularities and voter suppression.\

Der Spiegel's headline for tomorrow:

qR7nw.jpg

"The American Patient - About the decline of a great nation"

In an election campaign full of hate and conflicts the American involuntarily came to the insight that they maybe gambled away their control of world power. And the blockade of the political system seems insuperable.

The translation is word by word. Nevertheless I think I might get the issue tomorrow.

ezrarh

What's with all the stupid Florida ballot measures. Some of them are just unconstitutional on their face.

Am I crazy if I theorize that there has been an intentional plan to create an unnecessarily long ballot as a back-door voter suppression mechanism since it creates longer lines and thus dissuades people from voting?

You would be crazy if you think they didn't do it intentionally. The assholes in control in Florida know what they're doing. 8 hour lines for voting are not fucking reasonable in any sense.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
NINE hours?

I'm feeling really great about the two hour wait I had in Miami after hearing that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i live 10 mins from this place.

this is off Florida International University.

There's swamp right behind there. bacteria grows overnight and the mornings smell like sewage until the sun comes up and cooks up the bacteria.
Hi fellow floridian

VOTE

PA:

Pennsylvania: Obama 49%, Romney 46% (Morning Call)

From the pollster:
"When you see poll results like ours you see it's a very competitive race in Pennsylvania," Borick said. "With the polls showing Obama with a 3-6 point lead, the question remains what is the Republican recipe to erase that? Even though it's on the low end that's still a challenge of hundreds of thousands of votes that Romney has to find. Can that combination emerge from better than expected performance in the Philly burbs? Possible, but not probable."

Concept17

PPP has tester up by two.

Also

Could Montana swing soon? Imagine if Brian Schweitzer runs in 2016.

I doubt it'll get closer than 2008, but it'll certainly be Tester/Romney here. Tester has done pretty well here and people seem to really like him, especially in the rural areas.

Thing is, the older generation here are pretty far right for the most part, while the younger college generation have been mostly left. The biggest problem is many of the church organizations are pretty hard conservatives, and have a pretty strong hold over what feels like a large part of the population, leading many young people to lean to the right as well.

Maybe 2020, unless we get a really strong white candidate in 2016. (because yes, there are a lot of racists here)

Cheebo

Banned
Polling has seemed slightly better in VA than Ohio lately which is a bit nuts. It seems VA is a 2-3 point race while ohio is 1-2 points.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My parents are in line to see Obama in Hollywood and are saying the line is wrapped around the entire city lmao.
I was there for the setup at MacArthur yesterday. They're using the baseball diamond for parking and expect to exceed capacity of the bleachers (tickets are not being printed anymore). They're overstaffed as well but the lines are still going to be pretty massive from the sound of things.

So a hurricane hits the GOP convention.
Hurricane Sandy allows Obama to look good.
Now rain in Northern Florida and clear in Southern Florida on election day.

God is in the tank for Obama confirmed.

Sometimes God gives us trials to test our faith.

As the good book says:

Life can be a challenge
Life can seem impossible
It's never easy when there's so much on the line

I doubt it'll get closer than 2008, but it'll certainly be Tester/Romney here. Tester has done pretty well here and people seem to really like him, especially in the rural areas.

Thing is, the older generation here are pretty far right for the most part, while the younger college generation have been mostly left. The biggest problem is many of the church organizations are pretty hard conservatives, and have a pretty strong hold over what feels like a large part of the population, leading many young people to lean to the right as well.

Maybe 2020, unless we get a really strong white candidate in 2016. (because yes, there are a lot of racists here)

The West I think is a good trade off for the south for the dems. I also forget you guys have two dems in the senate.

Sometimes God gives us trials to test our faith.

As the good book says:

Life can be a challenge
Life can seem impossible
It's never easy when there's so much on the line

I miss cain

pigeon

Banned
Florida style hopium:

abc news said:
Obama will likely to have equal or exceed his 2008 performance among Latino voters in Florida due to his erosion in support among non-Hispanic white voters. The CBS poll found Obama trailing Romney 59-37 percent among non-Hispanic whites, a group in which he won 42 percent of the vote four years ago.

If the Herald/FIU numbers hold true [showing Obama leading Romney by only 6 among Hispanics in Florida], it would spell trouble for Obama. But there are some bubbling questions about whether the poll accurately captures the entire sentiment of Florida's Latino electorate:

The Miami Herald reports that the pollster who conducted the survey had trouble contacting non-Cuban voters in Florida. He eventually had to stop polling Hispanic voters in South Florida – the bastion of Florida's Cuban-American community -- and was forced to artificially "weight" the sample of the poll (to 40 percent Cuban turnout, 30 percent for Puerto Ricans, who mostly reside in Central Florida and are more inclined to vote for Democrats)....

...the polls could be over counting Cubans and undercounting Puerto Ricans and other Latino voters more inclined to vote for Obama.

Matt Barreto, a pollster with political opinion research firm Latino Decisions, recently said that Cuban and Puerto Rican turnout could be more even than the 10-point gap contained in the Herald/FIU poll.

"While Cuban-Americans used to comprise a majority of Latinos in Florida, today only 29 percent of all Latinos in Florida are Cuban, and while they do have slightly higher rates of participation we expect around 35 percent of all Latino voters will be of Cuban ancestry," he told ABC/Univision when the last Herald poll was released two weeks ago. "Today, the Florida Latino electorate is far more diverse than it was 12 years ago."

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision...ma-romney-edge/story?id=17609689#.UJanNW-HJ8G

If Obama wins Florida, Latino Decisions will be a much bigger deal pollster in 2016.

HylianTom

Banned
Mitt Romney's campaign is finally admitting to itself that the election has slipped away

When a political campaign reaches the end, discipline starts to fray. People are exhausted, both physically and mentally, and they beginning to drop their guard. ...

But then we get this: “At a rally this morning in New Hampshire, I asked a senior Mitt Romney campaign adviser what the campaign had planned in the final crucial days. His answer was swift. 'Praying'.” ...

And finally this: "We're the challengers. We always knew we could lose," one aide told me here in Dubuque. "They [the Obama camp] never contemplated they could lose."
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...to-itself-that-the-election-has-slipped-away/

Ouchies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Awful first sentence. Obama will likely have to or Obama will likely have equaled or exceeded? I know it's the first from context but I just want to shit on them.

Also, who is the pollster in that PA poll? Is that related to the great Daily Caller?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Polling has seemed slightly better in VA than Ohio lately which is a bit nuts. It seems VA is a 2-3 point race while ohio is 1-2 points.
The last few Ohio polls have been close, but it was only two days ago that Obama was up four in Grove. Three days ago he was up six in NBC/Marist.

I have a hard time believing this story.
I rarely put any faith in insider stories on US politics from foreign papers. The Romney camp has been quite optimistic and is refusing to show signs of insider sniping, jumping ship, etc. Halperin mentioned they're showing internal polls with them winning Ohio. To be fair he has also said many times that it seems like Romney's camp is living in an alternate world with their polling; they clearly expect a wave election to save Romney

syllogism

I have a hard time believing this story.
Telegraph just applied a sensationalistic spin into slightly more candid than usual comments. The people it quotes didn't admit anything other than that they aren't completely confident. Campaigns never do if there is any hope at all. If public polls (and some of their own) look bad, they just assume that they are missing something and adjust the turnout slightly. It's hard to keep going unless you believe.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Ohio isn't in play. When is the last single poll that you can cherry pick that actually has Romney ahead? 2-3 weeks ago? Bad news for Obama.

Its been interesting to watch Fox News lately. The pictures they use for Obama/Romney have been as you'd expect. Obama usually with a scowl or negative expression and Romney with a neutral or positive expression. Headlines have been pretty neutral as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom