• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

This must be all over redstate

Halperin:
I just conducted a poll with a different electorate and Obama's winning in a landslide. Funny how that works.
I'll admit that I don't know much about him but I can see clintonian-type vibes from him.

I think he'd also be a great advocate for clean energy if that becomes a bigger issue. Booker, Biden, Clinton and him are my picks for 2016.
Booker? A mayor from Newark is not going to win the nomination.

Piecake

Its kinda weird hearing so many stories about people waiting in line for hours to vote. I dont think ive ever waiting more than 10 minutes. I live in the twin cities as well, so its not like im living in some hick town with no people.

It`s fucked up that elections are a states thing. There should be a federal law mandating distance to and number of polling stations per person.
It's bullshit that some polling places are so inefficient, but I don't know that a federal law is the right way to go about it (see post title.) People just need to be more vocal to their state and local officials (who coincidentally, are probably more likely to respond) to get their shit together. Voting should take 15 minutes, 30 tops.

Its kinda weird hearing so many stories about people waiting in line for hours to vote. I dont think ive ever waiting more than 10 minutes. I live in the twin cities as well, so its not like im living in some hick town with no people.
Indeed. I've lived in an urban setting all my life (although not dense enough for some of the partisans here) and I think the longest I had to wait was 20 minutes the one election the county auditor tried to push electronic voting machines on us. Once I checked in, they steered me to another line for the electronic machines, but I just asked for a paper ballot and was out in another 5 minutes.

HylianTom

Banned
It actually took me about 20 minutes to wait in the early voting line here in New Orleans.

Turnout is markedly up. My best friend at work tells me that a lot of his friends and family are taking this election very personally after watching so much of the shit slung at the President on a daily basis over the past four years, so turnout being up kinda makes sense.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's bullshit that some polling places are so inefficient, but I don't know that a federal law is the right way to go about it (see post title.) People just need to be more vocal to their state and local officials (who coincidentally, are probably more likely to respond) to get their shit together. Voting should take 15 minutes, 30 tops.
Yeah, all of Florida has been plenty vocal. You know what Rick Scott's reply was? "Too fucking bad."

Too bad about Arizona. Maybe when McCain's seat is up.

I'm personally thinking 55 seats for Democrats in the Senate, a gain of 2. Nate has Democrats picking up Indiana, Maine, and Massachusetts while losing Montana, Nebraska, and North Dakota, which would keep the numbers where they are now. However ND, MT, and Nevada are all very much winnable and I have reason to believe his model lowballs all of them - Montana because Tester actually DOES lead in the polls, but the state fundamentals weigh down his numbers and put Rehberg in the lead, North Dakota because many of the polls from that state have been internals or private polls that show Heitkamp leading but Nate doesn't include, and Nevada because everyone calls Nevada wrong it seems.

Piecake

It actually took me about 20 minutes to wait in the early voting line here in New Orleans.

Turnout is markedly up. My best friend at work tells me that a lot of his friends and family are taking this election very personally after watching so much of the shit slung at the President on a daily basis over the past four years, so turnout being up kinda makes sense.

Well, my 10 minute wait is even on election day after work hours. Just boggles my mind how some states do such a shitty job of creating enough polling places and being efficient in getting people through

Of course, Minnesota has basically no red tape at all. You say your name, sign your name, go vote, and youre done.

Effect

I guess it depends if you have various laws to vote on. Some states have put to many on that people have to take a lot of time to read though. I think Florida has purposefully done that this year. There really should be two lines. One to vote and once you are done you move on to the next line to vote on those other issues. That way if one doesn't care about them can move on and those that do can stay and vote on them. This way the actual election voting can move a LOT smoother and quicker.

HylianTom

Banned
In 2016 if Hillary runs and Obama is reasonably popular? I'd think the Democrat would have a decent chance.

Yup. I could see 2016 being an incredible Democratic year if the recovery takes off and more than 10 million jobs are created. Another wave election.. especially with the right nominee.

Yup. I could see 2016 being an incredible Democratic year if the recovery takes off and more than 10 million jobs are created. Another wave election.. with the right nominee.

the last time we had economic prosperity, the voters got lazy and gave us the Florida recount hell with Bush v Gore. We got 8 years of Bush afterwards.

I believe that when things get comfy and the economy shines... voters tend to get lazy and allow Republicans to come in

HylianTom

Banned
the last time we had economic prosperity, the voters got lazy and gave us the Florida recount hell with Bush v Gore. We got 8 years of Bush afterwards.

I believe that when things get comfy and the economy shines... voters tend to get lazy and allow Republicans to come in

As my Maw-Maw used to say.. if our political system is like a circus, then Democrats are the guys with the shovels walking behind the Elephants.

I'm shocked that more folks don't recognize this. But then again, I think about it some more, and I'm not shocked.

coldfoot

Banned
A lot of people I know in NJ are complaining about the speed of services. They are right, they pay the highest property taxes yet get shit service. I would never buy a home here. The high taxes are a direct result of the gluttony of public workers and their unions. If you don't believe me go ask some residents in north NJ.

By the way if you got even plates, my local gas station 2 miles down the road is open and has a line of only 5 cars.

Yeah, all of Florida has been plenty vocal. You know what Rick Scott's reply was? "Too fucking bad."
What did Ken Detzner say? What did the various county Supervisors of Elections (the people for whom efficient elections are their one fucking job) say?

If you didn't like what they said, why doesn't anyone run against them? I would think, "Tired of standing in line? My one promise is that you won't have to wait more than 30 minutes to vote." would be a powerful campaign slogan.

A lot of people I know in NJ are complaining about the speed of services. They are right, they pay the highest property taxes yet get shit service. I would never buy a home here. The high taxes are a direct result of the gluttony of public workers and their unions. If you don't believe me go ask some residents in north NJ.

By the way if you got even plates, my local gas station 2 miles down the road is open and has a line of only 5 cars.

tell me more about the people you know

I will work for you but i require 3 months of vacation every year but I promise that I will do a great job.

Rick Scott is a total douche. I hope lots of cranky old people are stuck in long lines and it hurts their arthritis and whatever old person ailment (without killing them). They need to literally feel the pain of their decision.

I was taking about McCain's senate seat in Arizona
Yeah that's what I mean. Hispanic growth + popular Democrat at the top of the ticket without any of the baggage of the incumbent could turn Arizona blue, along with its Senate seat, which is up in 2016.

If McCain's still going by then, it could hold, though I don't think he's very popular there anymore either.

Yup. I could see 2016 being an incredible Democratic year if the recovery takes off and more than 10 million jobs are created. Another wave election.. especially with the right nominee.
As far as Senate races go, it's also the class of 2010, so there could be a lot of vulnerable Republican-held seats - IL, PA, NH, OH, FL, NC, WI, AZ, KY etc.

Of course, 2012 was supposed to be an easy year for Republicans based on the same logic, that Democrats did so well in 2006. It's too far out to prognosticate.

They are really nice people. The wife bought 2 iPad 3s when I bought mine and that's how we met when picking up the packages.

Did you ask her how long she had been on unemployment up to that point? Also, is their last name Black? I have seen quite a few black people who go by the name 'the Blacks'. I wonder if its a slang thing or their actual last name.

Same here. Never really seen any long lines around here at all and I'm in a more urban area. Also, we don't even have early voting!

I don't know how the Republicans can keep lying to themselves. They claim that the electorate is different in their modeling, but no independent polls are backing them up. You can only deny reality for so long till it bites you in the ass.

coldfoot

Banned
Did you ask her how long she had been on unemployment up to that point? Also, is their last name Black? I have seen quite a few black people who go by the name 'the Blacks'. I wonder if its a slang thing or their actual last name.
Black is not a deragotary term. It's less stupid than African American which assumes all
black people are Americans.

Also I don't know why you're implying I am racist where I am not. I told you that I'm pro Obama already.

It isn't "micromanaging" to have federal laws governing federal elections. Nor to have a federal agency oversee the election, including having the responsibilities to purchase and provide adequate voting machines, ensure their adequate distribution, and ensure the existence of enough poll workers to facilitate timely voting. States are budget constrained, and will inevitably skimp wherever they can. The federal government has no such limitations. Ensuring smooth voting should be one of the federal government's highest priorities, given that voting is what provides the very legitimacy of democratic governments.

coldfoot

Banned
So you refused to speak to your black neighbors until you were forced to in an iPad line?
I did not have much conversation with any of my neighbors until that incident with her. I wasn't forced to say anything to anyone. Our building is such that we use different elevators even though our apts are next to each other.
I'd have to make 2 elevator trips to go to her unit and she would do the same.

Now, the white woman who lives above us is a total bitch who won't even say hi to us.

Amir0x

Banned
So it appears Talking Points is running with the story I broke on November 2 about Republicans:

[url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43897621&postcount=13913]Amir0x[/url] said:
So it appears the Republicans have settled on a firm, unified excuse for Tuesday: The election was well in hand for Romney until Hurricane Sandy ruined everything

classic

Talking Points November 4:

;)

GAF -> Internet -> GAF

Gotchaye

What did Ken Detzner say? What did the various county Supervisors of Elections (the people for whom efficient elections are their one fucking job) say?

If you didn't like what they said, why doesn't anyone run against them? I would think, "Tired of standing in line? My one promise is that you won't have to wait more than 30 minutes to vote." would be a powerful campaign slogan.

Detzner isn't elected, I don't think, and the local officials have been much better in general but don't have a great deal of autonomy. How should a local official actually go about reducing waiting times that much?

Black is not a deragotary term. It's less stupid than African American which assumes all
black people are Americans.

Also I don't know why you're implying I am racist where I am not. I told you that I'm pro Obama already.
I dont think you're racist. I think you're a fine fella. I also believe you're very astute in realizing that US workers are lazy and spoiled. I mean they should be thankful they even have a job and shouldnt expect to receive a wage that provides for their family. We should be like those in China and just take anything and work 18 hour days for a few dollars. And whats the deal with child labor laws. Seesh. Truly terrible.

Puddles

Banned
I just looked at Sam Wang's model if you choose the "Romney+2" option. Even giving Romney a 2% boost in every single state, Obama wins with 277 votes.

Ice water in my veins. I am Michael Jordan staring down the Utah Jazz in Game 6 right now.

HylianTom

Banned
Speaking of Sandy..

Sunday Best: Don’t let the GOP blame Sandy

With just two days to go before the election, it seems one side may already be making preparations for a defeat. While many of the pundits on today’s Sunday morning political chat shows insisted the race was too close to call, others agreed that President Obama has the edge. That’s certainly what the math and the tea leaves lead us to believe. And it seems some Republicans are already preparing for defeat by trying to control the story of what went wrong. Essentially: Blame Sandy. ...

And we knew this was coming. On Thursday, Politico’s Mike Allen, who, say what you will about him, has stellar access to senior operatives, reported that Republicans are already laying the groundwork for scapegoating the storm. “You’re already hearing Republicans hint that if Mitt Romney loses, that he’ll blame the storm. The people around him will cite that as a cause, that they had momentum, but it stopped cold,” he said on MSNBC.

This effort to define the post-mortem narrative is far more than, as TPM’s Josh Marshall wrote, “CYA,” cover your ass for pundits who predicted a big Romney win and are now preparing to eat crow. Rather, there’s something of greater significance than pundits’ reputations on the line here. If Romney loses, the debate will immediately shift to defining why, and whatever narrative takes hold could set the tone for Obama’s second term, should he win one.

Republicans are trying to make this the thumbnail story of the campaign: Romney was winning heading into the closing stretch until a freak super storm (not at all connected to global warming, of course) the week before the election turned things around for Obama. Basically, Obama got lucky....
http://www.salon.com/2012/11/04/sunday_best_dont_let_the_gop_blame_sandy/

I wonder if people are really dumb enough to really believe this.
(Don't answer that.)

This ice in my veins has been here for a long, long time. Feels good to be so chill.

Lead editorial for Murdoch's NYPost today:

But Christie does need to go one step further and reassure his party — and not just his party — that he hasn’t turned coat.

He needs to bring Romney into the discussion by reminding voters — some of whom may have been swayed by media partisans who eagerly spun Obama’s Jersey trip as a quasi-endorsement — just who his candidate is.

To shine some of his star power, in other words, on Mitt Romney.

But true bipartisanship includes the need to make clear his belief that the incumbent’s vigorous response to the disaster would have been more than matched by Mitt Romney had he been president.

If he doesn’t do that, the Republican Party will never forgive him.

coldfoot

Banned
I dont think you're racist. I think you're a fine fella. I also believe you're very astute in realizing that US workers are lazy and spoiled. I mean they should be thankful they even have a job and shouldnt expect to receive a wage that provides for their family. We should be like those in China and just take anything and work 18 hour days for a few dollars. And whats the deal with child labor laws. Seesh. Truly terrible.
Just like China is an extreme case, so is the USA in the other direction. There is room for somewhere in the middle, look at Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom