• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

So, are there still going to be lines to vote in Florida long after all the polls across the country are supposed to be closed on Tuesday?

why is intrade only at 65%

SQvKM.gif

So, are there still going to be lines to vote in Florida long after all the polls across the country are supposed to be closed on Tuesday?

I think if you're in line you're good. But who are we kidding Rick Scott is gov.

Cloudy

Banned
Pew is full of shit. The numbers haven't changed but they pressed the undecided likely voters. If the election wasn't next week, they would have said it was a tie lol

Snake

If I were any good with image editing programs I'd edit it and make him only cut out the top of the state.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this very gif edit posted within the last few weeks (likely in response to the aforementioned Q poll).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What's larger: the number of people in the credits for Assassin's Creed 3 or the number of votes Romney will get in California

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I cannot believe you can vote early in Orange and Pinellas county today but not Broward.

This is neither a Democracy nor a Republic any longer... elections can literally be decided by the people who decide the methods by which voting is conducted. :-/

I cannot believe you can vote early in Orange and Pinellas county today but not Broward.

This is neither a Democracy nor a Republic any longer... elections can literally be decided by the people who decide the methods by which voting is conducted. :-/
And the supreme court is thinking about further destroying federal oversight of elections.

Would be interesting seeing a concession speech with people still in line to vote...

I really hope the hold off calling the race until washington polls closes I'd hate to see turnout own and marriage equality not pass

Puddles

Banned
why is intrade only at 65%

The prevailing view is that a rich Republican with cash money for days is keeping the price down. It doesn't make sense. There is an 11% arbitrage between Intrade and Betfair. If you have accounts on both sites, you can literally make risk-free money right now.

Piecake

That is really fucked up. There seriously needs to be standarized election laws. Just boggles my mind that it takes me 10 minutes to vote while it can take others 10 hours. The only explanation is that that 10 hours is a conscious decision to suppress voters since I have a hard time believing that my state is that much more competent than florida

Chichikov

What's larger: the number of people in the credits for Assassin's Creed 3 or the number of votes Romney will get in California
Not sure, but I'm going to bet Romney's Californian voters are not a multicultural group of various faiths and beliefs.

So after showing Obama ahead of Romney by one point in Ohio yesterday, Reuters comes out with a poll today showing Obama ahead by four.

Stupid tracking polls.

Snake

Pew is full of shit. The numbers haven't changed but they pressed the undecided likely voters. If the election wasn't next week, they would have said it was a tie lol

Maybe I'm misreading you but the "unpushed" LV numbers show O 48 - R 45, as opposed to their last poll showing O 47 - R 47. Their stretching of the leaners didn't change the spread.

Measley

Columbus OH EV Line

A64bCSzCYAEzlSD.jpg:large

That's right around the block from my house. The big building to the right is a Value City, and to the left is a shopping center with Gamestop and Payless Shoes. The EV center is an old KOHLS.

That line is ridiculous. I took my niece there Friday afternoon and it wasn't even close to being that long. I might drive by there and see what the political parties are passing out to the voters waiting in line.

dabig2

#Democracy

Utterly fucking ridiculous. Is there any way people can make a big stink about this and all the other voter suppression to the media and Feds? I feel like outrage needed to shame this banana republic bullshit is only contained to blogspheres and internet message boards. People only focus on the obvious voter ID craziness, but not everything else.

I think this would make a good, focused Occupy movement. The only trouble is keeping it strong long after voting ends or else everyone will just get bored with it after a time. Then the cycle begins anew in future elections.

For all those in those areas, I hope you guys are compiling photos, stories, and whatnot around your areas. I would really like to see some focused outrage.

That's right around the block from my house. The big building to the right is a Value City, and to the left is a shopping center with Gamestop and Payless Shoes. The EV center is an old KOHLS.

That line is ridiculous. I took my niece there Friday afternoon and it wasn't even close to being that long. I might drive by there and see what the political parties are passing out to the voters waiting in line.

Can you go and take more pics for us? we're hopium addicts you know.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So after showing Obama ahead of Romney by one point in Ohio yesterday, Reuters comes out with a poll today showing Obama ahead by four.

Fucking tracking polls.

Who owns these polling companies? I mean this is very suspicious...or is there an explanation for this?

Marginal but likely meaningful movement.

Significant that more and more of these are showing Obama at 50%. Sealing that deal.

Don't worry. Romney's got a math guy. Gonna fix everything. Going to make up for that 50% by removing wasteful deductions somewhere.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Could someone let me know how many states don't let early voting go on for the full 14 days, like Florida just pulled on us? Are we an outlier, or do a lot of states vary?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That is really fucked up. There seriously needs to be standarized election laws. Just boggles my mind that it takes me 10 minutes to vote while it can take others 10 hours. The only explanation is that that 10 hours is a conscious decision to suppress voters since I have a hard time believing that my state is that much more competent than florida
It's especially stark in huge, highly populous states like this. The fact that the voting method can vary region-by-region (butterfly ballots...) is bad enough, but the actual days and times you can vote? Counties leaning one way being granted more total early voting time? It's sickening; makes so much of the work we've been doing feel hollow. Like we're just hoping to stem the tide of corruption, not actually legitimately affect the outcome.

HylianTom

Banned
I already had ice in my veins back when the national and state polls seemed to tell two different stories. Now that they're converging, I'm definitely ready to celebrate on Tuesday.

Yup. For a moment it was looking like a split was more possible than in recent times, but they've finally met. Kinda relieving, in that we don't have to have a "which set of numbers is right?" question hanging over us.

Also:
Elizabeth Warren‏@elizabethforma
"Just got off the phone with @BarackObama - he called from Air Force One to wish us luck! Good luck to you too, Mr President! #masen"

Crossposting:

A highschool friend of mine is actively arguing that the measures done to curtail voting in Florida is totally cool because "people can just commute to their voting station" and "that's what election day is for anyways".

What the FUCK.

--

I'm fucking furious. I'd go and protest myself if I weren't on the other side of the country.

Amir0x

Banned
Marginal but likely meaningful movement.

Significant that more and more of these are showing Obama at 50%. Sealing that deal.

If I were Republicans I'd be damning God for sending Hurricane Sandy

Republicans: "Goddamn God, why did you do this to us? Why would you help Obama!"
GOD: "Have you even seen Mitt Romney? Fuck that shit."

AniHawk

Florida has to go blue this year or these tactics will just become further legitimized in the eyes of Republicans. "Oh sure we lost the election, but look at how we managed to keep Florida. We need to expand these kind of operations for future elections". As long as the punishment for such actions is merely the possible threat of citizens not voting for certain state officials, and not any kind of federal/legal response, this kind of voter suppression will be given free reign.

obama's got a shit ton of lawyers down there. if he wins the presidency, this will be addressed.

Kusagari

It's pathetic that the Republican Party has realized the only way to ensure Florida goes their way is to do everything they can to suppress voting in South Florida.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crossposting:

A highschool friend of mine is actively arguing that the measures done to curtail voting in Florida is totally cool because "people can just commute to their voting station" and "that's what election day is for anyways".

What the FUCK.

--

I'm fucking furious. I'd go and protest myself if I weren't on the other side of the country.
does your friend support romney by any chance
It's pathetic that the Republican Party has realized the only way to ensure Florida goes their way is to do everything they can to suppress voting in South Florida.
I'm actually getting kind of emotional about it. All the people I spoke to in Plantation and Sunrise yesterday who really wanted to vote but only had until 7:00PM... I don't know how to convey to them that they can't vote today, right now, but their Republican counterparts a couple hours north can.

:-/

I guess my consolation is that the incredibly potent GOTV efforts by OFA in Orlando are probably dragging every slightly-blue-tinged humanoid they can find to the polls right now...

Puddles

Banned

Stupid tracking polls.

Different samples.

I'm sure you know this, but for those who don't, it needs to be said again: all a sample poll says is, "We're 95% confident that the true proportion of voters is within the interval marked by our sample proportion +/- the margin of error."

That's why aggregate polling is the way to go. If you distribute all the polls on a graph, they'll tend to stack up right around where the true population proportion is. If one poll shows Obama 51%, Romney 49%, it could well be that the true proportion is the opposite of that. If 20 polls show Obama with a 2 point lead, it's pretty safe that assume that he has a lead of some kind.

jbug617

Banned
You think Romney fans are going to bring up the Redskins rule? Seems like the sports media are mentioning it whenever they talk about this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom