• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
A 2-3 point PV Obama win is looking more and more likely.

Yup. I've given-up on the idea that it'll be a split. It looked like a real possibility.. and then the national polls caught-up with the state polls. While the comedy (along with the opportunity for the NorthEast, West, and Midwest to tell the Republican South "fuck you") would have been wonderful, I'm going to enjoy the idea of Obama having a larger win to point to. I'll also enjoy telling my Republican friends and family just how out-of-touch they are with the rest of the country once we get some good regional numbers.

What's especially remarkable is that Ohio seems to be tracking above national polling numbers. More specifically, it seems like when Obama and Romney are tied, Obama is outperforming his national polling numbers by anywhere from 1 to 3%. That might not seem like much, but it's an incredible change, and it has me wondering: is this specific to this election, or has a genuine shift occurred in Ohio where we'll see it repeated in future elections?

I'm skeptical of a true shift/realignment in the state, but on the off chance that this has indeed happened? It'd have monumental implications for electoral math from here on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I keep on reminding my older Republican relatives:
"every four years, the electorate gets about 3 or 4% less white. Your party is driving at top speed towards a brick wall. You will have to change, or you're destined to go the way of the Whigs."

It scares the absolute shit out of them. They're losing "their" country.

Something something, agent smith, something something, inevitability mr. anderson.

But this is what happens when you live your entire life inside a bubble, believing in a massaged fiction of what your country is and what really makes it up. As someone I know said a few months ago "it's always something to be there to witness the death throes of culture's life story".

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yup. I've given-up on the idea that it'll be a split. It looked like a real possibility.. and then the national polls caught-up with the state polls. While the comedy (along with the opportunity for the NorthEast, West, and Midwest to tell the Republican South "fuck you") would have been wonderful, I'm going to enjoy the idea of Obama having a larger win to point to. I'll also enjoy telling my Republican friends and family just how out-of-touch they are with the rest of the country once we get some good regional numbers.

What's especially remarkable is that Ohio seems to be tracking above national polling numbers. More specifically, it seems like when Obama and Romney are tied, Obama is outperforming his national polling numbers by anywhere from 1 to 3%. That might not seem like much, but it's an incredible change, and it has me wondering: is this specific to this election, or has a genuine shift occurred in Ohio where we'll see it repeated in future elections?

I'm skeptical of a true shift/realignment in the state, but on the off chance that this has indeed happened? It'd have monumental implications for electoral math from here on.

The fact of the matter is that a good Republican candidate would have won this election, but the electorate didn't want a good candidate, they wanted an echo chamber for very poor ideals that are frankly untenable in the rust best and throughout the country that isn't A) Evangelical and/or B) Racist/Anti-Intelligence.

Obama is only beating a clown, liar, Mormon, 1%er, Northeasterner by like 3 to 4% max. Even a GWB in 2000 would probably beat Barack this time around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think Obama's margin in Ohio is large enough to be safe from any shenanigans.
I mean, sure, but he's clearly trying to flat out rig the election.

Didnt a judge site him for contempt? or am i just making that up?

He was going to because Husted basically stated he planned to ignore a Federal Court Order, but Husted backed down. The problem here is that Husted is going to throw votes out without the voter even having the ability to know their vote is not going to be counted since the poll workers can't help.

Clevinger

I'm not sure. On the one hand he cares about his public image, on the other he'll of just wasted 7 years of his life and potentially tens of millions of dollars of his own money over that same span.

Way more than 7 years if him trying to get into the senate and getting the governorship were solely used as stepping stones toward the presidency.

I think he'll be gracious though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Democrats should have won the last 5 straight presidential elections. No viable third party candidate this time around to steal all of the far-left votes this time around, RE: Nader.

I think Obama's margin in Ohio is large enough to be safe from any shenanigans.

Only due to absentee ballots, which can be discarded. I think you're missing the point here. If you lower Obama's lead in EV, he loses simply because he's down so much among election day voters.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
40k absentee ballots were thrown out in 2008 due to "problems." What's to stop 100k from being thrown out this time, or for provisional ballots to delay election results until late November. I'm telling you guys, something is wrong here. Husted seems to have a clear, blatant plan and nothing has stopped him so far.

Regardless of what happens to to Ohio, Obama is not losing the race. Even if Romney defies all odds and wins Ohio, seeing as it is the true battleground state that seems most out of reach for him right now, Obama is going to pull off a surprise and steal a red-purple state this time around. He isn't losing this race.

40k absentee ballots were thrown out in 2008 due to "problems." What's to stop 100k from being thrown out this time, or for provisional ballots to delay election results until late November. I'm telling you guys, something is wrong here. Husted seems to have a clear, blatant plan and nothing has stopped him so far.
PD, you're not telling us anything. This is simply the last reason in a long list of wrong reasons from you as to why Romney will win.

Puddles

Banned
Excellent article, Puddles.

Good write-up.

Thanks, guys. :)

I think what you wrote is probably all valid, but nothing about it would make me want to read it. We all know the reasons why people should vote for Obama over Romney (just like we all know in our hearts why people SHOULD, but never will vote for Jill Stein) and that is enough for me. Unless you are talking about something outside of the obvious (marriage equality, repeal DADT, stimulus, push for higher taxes, etc.) it would be better suited to be distributed as an op-ed to your local paper (or papers). I used to write blurbs for the editorials page every once in a while and a lot of times they would get published.

Understandable. I've had it up to here with this election as well. I just thought some people might get a kick out of reading one by a fellow PoliGAFer.

gcubed

there is nothing you can put on PDs avatar that will reflect the sigh of relief from everyone here that he is done with his idiocy.

HylianTom

Banned
@ppppolls:
Since a tie is like kissing your sister...our final North Carolina poll is Romney 49.4, Obama 49.2
BackTTFuture_200Pyxurz.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Goddamnit. :(

I disagreed with him on his approach to that ONE thing and I always wished he'd see eye to eye with me and others on the logic, but I always liked him as a poster and a person and if that's true then I am genuinely sad he never got to see that thing work out. And it will, starting with my State on Tuesday. So he never agreed with me on how to get it done, but when I voted Yes, I thought about Gaborn. :-(

Commend his soul.

Puddles

Banned
there is nothing you can put on PDs avatar that will reflect the sigh of relief from everyone here that he is done with his idiocy.

I'll take suggestions for PD's avatar in my inbox. I'm not great with photoshop, so if anyone wants to collaborate on the visuals, that would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom