• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

what's going on with long lines in Florida early voting is disgusting and depressing.

BUT I WILL NOT VOTE FOR REVENGE TUESDAY. I WILL VOTE FOR LOVING MY COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for revenge. Screw those guys.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
There's no way that's true. That would absolutely blow my mind if true. I feel like lefty cat people is a stereotype that my dad's always played up (he hates cats).

Your dad has proven to be a poor source of truth on almost any topic. I am sorry to say.

On a more poignant note, I wish my dad were alive to talk to him about this election. No way in hell he would want to vote for Romney, but I couldn't see him voting Obama, either. Would love to pick his brain for his opinions.

Trurl

Banned
On a sombre note, Politico has a Dem leak about the feeling that they won't win very many new seats:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83298.html?hp=t2_3

Little disappointing, and will probably make Sam Wang look bad on this one issue. Hopefully not any others!

Retaking the House simply must become a higher priority. It's too late to change anything for 2012 as far as House strategy goes, but the next two years needs to be dedicated to figuring out solutions to this problem and following through. Two things:

1. As much as possible the amazing GOTV organization that the Dems have now needs to be active for 2014 and directed toward the House. There might be fewer people who come forward to volunteer, but the potential rewards are far greater than in a Presidential election. People are already interested in a Presidential election, a push when they're apathetic about a midterm could mean much more.

2. I think that people need to be educated about what the hell the House's role in our democracy is. I don't think people realize the importance of Congress. An easy way to illustrate the importance of controlling the House can be made by comparing "Obama's" accomplishments in 2009-2010 and 2011-12. Perhaps this would have been more effective this year, but Obama didn't run against a do-nothing Congress.

ivysaur12

Banned
Democrats acknowledge that if they want to regain the majority, they’re going to have to find a way to play in more conservative districts — a blueprint that then-DCCC Chairman Rahm Emanuel embraced with success during his successful 2006 push to claim the Democratic majority.

“You have to recruit and compete nationally because you can’t just win in the safest seats in the country,” Beattie said. “You need to compete in seats that are on the other side of the playing field.”

Thanks in part to gerrymandering, this will be the reality for the next decade. Good luck passing and true progressive legislation when you have to bend over backwards to get conservative Dems seated in order to cobble together a feeble majority.

Retaking the House simply must become a higher priority. It's too late to change anything for 2012 as far as House strategy goes, but the next two years needs to be dedicated to figuring out solutions to this problem and following through. Two things:

1. As much as possible the amazing GOTV organization that the Dems have now needs to be active for 2014 and directed toward the House. There might be fewer people who come forward to volunteer, but the potential rewards are far greater than in a Presidential election. People are already interested in a Presidential election, a push when they're apathetic about a midterm could mean much more.

2. I think that people need to be educated about what the hell the House's role in our democracy is. I don't think people realize the importance of Congress. An easy way to illustrate the importance of controlling the House can be made by comparing "Obama's" accomplishments in 2009-2010 and 2011-12. Perhaps this would have been more effective this year, but Obama didn't run against a do-nothing Congress.

I agree. We place so much emphasis on the Senate and Presidency that we forget about the House members. We need to put a larger effort into getting grassroots GOTV machines for the House, especially in non-swing states.

This is a real Obama ad:

h4k4E.jpg

your wish is my command B-Dubs

malfcn

Where the hell did the campaign pick up with this false notion of Jeep going to China? and who told them it was a good idea to run with it?

I could have run the Romney campaign better. That is a fact.

Don't know. It quoted a paper that I don't remember. But when Jeep says it is false, and they keep running it, it's like wow really?

Piecake

Cats = Democrats because they are lazy assholes who live off their owners teet
Dogs = Republicans because they are active and hard working animals

RDreamer

Your dad has proven to be a poor source of truth on almost any topic. I am sorry to say.

lol, well that's definitely true, but I was thinking more long the lines of what you said in the post below this. And my dad's usually right on knowing what the horrible stereotypes are.

Yeah, I do remember that article, but makes sense I got it backwards. Dogs = south. Cats = apartment dwelling libs.

I, myself am a cat person. Of course, I am a secret anti-abortion lib, so maybe there is some truth to it.

I'm now a cat and dog person. Grew up a dog person and didn't care for cats. My wife brought her cat when we started living together and I loved him. Then we adopted another one and the thing is the biggest buddy I've ever had as a pet.
About half the time I end up spooning the cat to sleep at night... he sleeps with us under the covers...
The other cat we adopted, though, that's more my wife's now I really dislike (well, I don't dislike him, I guess, I'd just rather have a dog or something if I had a choice between another cat like him and that)

Where the hell did the campaign pick up with this false notion of Jeep going to China? and who told them it was a good idea to run with it?

I could have run the Romney campaign better. That is a fact.
I think the technique is to 'suggest lies'. Romney outright lied at a campaign speech saying they were moving all Jeep production to China. But the TV ad is just saying that the are going to start building Jeeps in China . . . which is true but only for the Chinese market and they will continue building all Jeeps for the domestic market here. So ad doesn't directly lie . . . but it suggests a lie that people will create in their own brain (Jeep is moving all manufacturing to China).

Sort like Saddam 9/11 Saddam 9/11 Saddam Saddam 9/11 Saddam 9/11 until half the the country believed Saddam was behind 9/11. Just 'suggest lies' and the hardcore base will put the lie together in their own mind. This leaves you plausible deniability.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think the technique is to 'suggest lies'. Romney outright lied at a campaign speech saying they were moving all Jeep production to China. But the TV ad is just saying that the are going to start building Jeeps in China . . . which is true but only for the Chinese market and they will continue building all Jeeps for the domestic market here. So ad doesn't directly lie . . . but it suggests a lie that people will create in their own brain (Jeep is moving all manufacturing to China).

Sort like Saddam 9/11 Saddam 9/11 Saddam Saddam 9/11 Saddam 9/11 until half the the country believed Saddam was behind 9/11. Just 'suggest lies' and the hardcore base will put the lie together in their own mind. This leaves you plausible deniability.

Ahh, understood. So, just politics, then. I was wondering how they could be so bravado. But the China built for Chinese market is still I guess somewhat scandalous in today's hyper-partisan world.

RDreamer

Ahh, understood. So, just politics, then. I was wondering how they could be so bravado. But the China built for Chinese market is still I guess somewhat scandalous in today's hyper-partisan world.

The company doing so well that it can actually expand into new markets shouldn't really be scandalous.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The company doing so well that it can actually expand into new markets shouldn't really be scandalous.

You are talking about the Republican electorate here. I am not trying to be demeaning, but ask your dad in a casual fashion what he feels about Jeep building models in China? You can even preface it by just saying, "for the Asian market" I am sure he will see it as a negative...

fallagin

I was just having an argument with my dad over abortion. I was telling him that Under Obama there will be less abortions as studies show and he acknowledges this, but then goes on to say that contraception has caused so much moral decay in our country and that regardless of this study abortion should still become illegal even in the case of rape and incest. After that I'm all like @_@ and I don't think I can really get through to him.

ido

Dear sweet jesus Tuesday night is going to be amazing. I'm catching a re-run of Hannity and Karl Rove and Hannity are practically docking each other over how Romney's got this shit in the bag.

Oh, and of course, Obama is all about revenge.

As PoliGAF's official Minnesota Representative, I can confirm to the thread that Minnesota is indeed going red. I've polled about 15 people in and around my area (randomly) and the results are stunning.

60% Obama

30% Romney

7% Ron Paul

3% undecided

+/- 15.3 MOE

Diablos suicide watch

I was just having an argument with my dad over abortion. I was telling him that Under Obama there will be less abortions as studies show and he acknowledges this, but then goes on to say that contraception has caused so much moral decay in our country and that regardless of this study abortion should still become illegal even in the case of rape and incest. After that I'm all like @_@ and I don't think I can really get through to him

WITHOUT CONTRACEPTION, THERE WOULD BE MORE MORAL DECAY!!!

pigeon

Banned
As PoliGAF's official Minnesota Representative, I can confirm to the thread that Minnesota is indeed going red. I've polled about 15 people in and around my area (randomly) and the results are stunning.

60% Obama

30% Romney

7% Ron Paul

3% undecided

+/- 15.3 MOE

Holy shit, that's a dead heat.

A year ago GM said they would start building cars there. China is now the largest car market in the world, they passed the US. And besides high-end niche cars, you are just not going to be able to build cars here and sell them there. So the US car companies are going to build factories there and sell cars there. It is pretty much the only way they can participate in that fast-growing market.

fallagin

Yes, but every sperm is sacred. If one is wasted, god becomes quite irate.

Btw hes not catholic, and hes not totally against contraception he just I dunno... he said something about contraception being developed to control the population of black people or something. Its really weird.

A year ago GM said they would start building cars there. China is now the largest car market in the world, they passed the US. And besides high-end niche cars, you are just not going to be able to build cars here and sell them there. So the US car companies are going to build factories there and sell cars there. It is pretty much the only way they can participate in that fast-growing market.

Obama clearly did not save American jobs.
Obama bailed out Detroit
Detroit makes cars in China
QED.

Make an ad. "I approve this message." Run it.

Btw hes not catholic, and hes not totally against contraception he just I dunno... he said something about contraception being developed to control the population of black people or something. Its really weird.

Pretty funny considering birth control methods were invented centuries ago before british colonialism really got up to speed.

DasRaven

I was just having an argument with my dad over abortion. I was telling him that Under Obama there will be less abortions as studies show and he acknowledges this, but then goes on to say that contraception has caused so much moral decay in our country and that regardless of this study abortion should still become illegal even in the case of rape and incest. After that I'm all like @_@ and I don't think I can really get through to him

I had a co-worker with similar beliefs. I simply challenged him to identify any country with a better moral character.
The jingoist in him would not allow him to say any other nation, so he was stuck between his beliefs and simply turned to calling me a partisan.
To which I asked who should be punished if/when an abortion took place post-ban. "The doctor," he replied. OK, so how do the authorities find out about the act, by monitoring every medical procedure performed including yours? At that point the cognitive dissonance overwhelmed him and he walked away.

I didn't change his mind, but I made him walk away knowing that implementing his "way" would force either ubiquitous government monitoring or the acceptance of unequal protection under law which is unconstitutional.

RDreamer

I think he was probably talking about Planned Parenthood.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83297.html

House Republicans are sending a stark message to the White House: If President Barack Obama pushes for tax increases during the lame-duck session, it would ruin his chances for a productive second term.

Republicans aren’t conceding that Obama will win Tuesday, but they’re warning that allowing tax rates on high-income Americans to increase at the end of the year — as Obama and Hill Democrats have proposed — will set a bad tone that would complicate major deal making in the 113th Congress.
Continue Reading

“Poisoning the well right out of the gate makes no sense if the goal is a productive second term,” said one senior House GOP leadership aide.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83297.html#ixzz2BK4L1teU

Guys, I'm starting to think Congressional Republicans might be less than cooperative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom