• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
images

4CvVh.jpg

Romney will get the blame but since the VP debate Ryan became invisible in the race.

True, and that's Romney's decision

But I was referring to Ryan's future in relation to his budget. It clearly had no impact on the campaign, when at one point democrats were confident it could help flip multiple house seats

pigeon

Banned
If everything turns out exactly as predicted by 538 tonight -- 303 electoral votes.
If Romney outperforms the projections by one percentage point -- still 303.
If Romney outperforms the projections by two percentage points -- 281.
If Romney outperforms the projections by three percentage points -- 275.

If Obama outperforms the projections by less than half a point -- 332.

If everything turns out exactly as predicted by 538 tonight -- 303 electoral votes.

qFF10.gif

Wow.

bananas

Banned

yHqsk.gif

It is very odd that they have hidden their VP candidate so much since the debate.
And it is not like he did bad in that debate.

I just think they decided to tack hard to the center as became evident in the latter 2 debates. By the last debate all Romney was saying is that he'd do the same as Obama is except stronger (and from a white guy). Paul Ryan is a right wing ideologue and thus was not an asset for that move. So they stuck him in the basement.

Bowdz

good-one-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-194.gif

fallagin

SoGood.gif

And it is not like he did bad in that debate.

I just think they decided to tack hard to the center as became evident in the latter 2 debates. By the last debate all Romney was saying is that he'd do the same as Obama is except stronger (and from a white guy). Paul Ryan is a right wing ideologue and thus was not an asset for that move. So they stuck him in the basement.

So what is he an asset for? one debate? I presume you pick a VP candidate who can help get support but aside from the debate all he did was make a bad photo op.

ido

This shit better be wrapped up by Tuesday night. I don't want to be up all night.

Obama getting reelected is going to make Fox News double in net worth.

I swear Yahoo takes from GAF all the time.

Binders, Bayonets, and Big Bird

These jokes that came out of the 2012 presidential debates were brought to you by the letter B. There was Mitt Romney’s Big Bird, who would be out of a job under his administration, and his story about being handed “binders full of women” when putting together his Massachusetts cabinet. Obama made the trifecta with his line at the final debate that our military is far beyond mere “horses and bayonets.”
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/electi...es-of-the-2012-campaign-photo--910834416.html

jbug617

Banned
So what is he an asset for? one debate? I presume you pick a VP candidate who can help get support but aside from the debate all he did was make a bad photo op.

Ryan was picked to sure up the base and might swing Wisconsin. The hardcore loves him and they were weary of Mitt being a moderate.

my favorite thing about that romney rally in pennsylvania everyone's been posting about is the fact that the only reason he's even campaigning in the state is because every other state's ad space was full

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

iKJOa.gif

He made it so that the base wouldn't flip their shit when Mitt tracked toward the center.

Well, you would think they would have him doing more of that. Hell, Palin was an astoundingly poor pick for a VP candidate and they let her run around like a headless chicken.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's what I was thinking. Also where is Poligaf gonna spend election night on GAF here or the regular OT thread?

Probably best to basically close OT5 Monday at Midnight. Create the Official OT for Election Day Then. Then create the next Community Poligaf Mega Thread (OT6) Wednesday Morning assuming the election is called.

RDreamer

Well, you would think they would have him doing more of that. Hell, Palin was an astoundingly poor pick for a VP candidate and they let her run around like a headless chicken.

Well, no, that's the thing. They have him there for purely name and image purposes so that the right doesn't flip their shit when Mitt's whole campaign tracks to the center. They gag Ryan because if he goes into a full throated politically center proposal then it blows the cover. Mitt goes center, Ryan shuts his yap. The right thinks Mitt's still with them because he picked the doofus they so love, and the independents fall for new moderate Mitt.

I feel like it's them pulling the Palin thing again except kind of sort of learning from the mistake of letting her run around like a headless chicken saying stupid things.

So, my prediction is that Obama wins, and that the Senate's somewhere between R+1 and D+1. I'd much rather see it on the D+1 end of that spectrum, which I do think is possible... it basically takes Tester hanging on in Montanta, Kaine winning in Virginia, and picking up Maine (Angus King), Mass. and Indiana of course (thank you, Mourdock...). If Heitkamp can somehow pull off a surprise win in North Dakota things could be even better than that, but I don't think everything close will go our way, unfortunately... but we'll see.

As for the house, yeah, doesn't look like much is going to happen there. Very unfortunate -- gains there are so badly needed in order for anything good to happen in Washington again, with how as they have shown the Republicans remain dedicated to blocking everything the Democrats propose.

Someone needs to unskew these lines.
I think the Florida Republican Party is doing everything they can to accomplish just that.

To be fair, while that does look bad, that polling station was only open because it was closed early yesterday thanks to a bomb scare. So it's not just purely "letting Republicans vote more"; those people were turned away last time.

The real issue is that they cut early voting back so much in the first place, and for such a transparent reason. But voter-suppression stuff like that has been a major effort by Republicans all over the country this year, because it hurts the Democratic base, and what you really want in an election is to only allow your voters to actually vote, right?

For instance, here in Maine they tried to get rid of election-day voter registration, obviously as an effort against turnout, and also limited the number of days no-reason early absentee voting was allowed, I believe (in these last days, you can only vote absentee with a reason... I don't think it was like that before.). The second of those has stood, but the first of those, election-day registration, fortunately was stopped at the ballot box, turned over by a citizens' referendum. In some other states courts threw out some of the new laws, but as Florida has seen, sadly some made it through. :(

Plumbob

I know things are looking good, but god damn, I'm still nervous as hell.

As a reddit poster pointed out, with one in six odds you are essentially playing a game of Russian Roulette on Tuesday. Low probability of bad outcome, major negative consequences if bad outcome occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom