• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even TYT is trying out Diablosing about polls that include Gary Johnson and Jill Stein in Ohio. Ralph Nader + Babar got 1% combined in 2008 and Obama won by 4.6%. But somehow they're going to magically get 5% tomorrow.

got a fairly long exam on climate change tomorrow (and a microecon assignment regarding short-run production due about 4 hours later)

then i'm off to my apartment to get plastered with friends

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As a left leaning person that prefers an Obama victory, are you guys REALLY that confident that all these state polls will hold?

If you aren't nervous, you don't care. But NONE of the polling aggregates show Romney winning. Its difficult to conceive of Romney winning a state he's never led in ever.

"Could not be closer" would be if every state was safe Obama/Romney except Florida, which is where it is right now.

Bowdz

If you aren't nervous, you don't care. But NONE of the polling aggregates show Romney winning. Its difficult to conceive of Romney winning a state he's never led in ever.

"Could not be closer" would be if every state was safe Obama/Romney except Florida, which is where it is right now.

Pretty much how I feel. I'm supremely confident in Silver and Wang's models and the accuracy of the state polling aggregates, but at the same time, I'm nervous as hell. The 'what ifs' are eating away at me when my rational self knows that it shouldn't be a problem. All in all, I just want this over.

Ejtnq.jpg
More like "Inward."

"See you don't understand, while the toplines of polling is severely skewed, but you have to dig into poll internals,where we say unskews voter opinions where we see Romney has double digit leads with independants and on his handling of the economy. For that reason, I predict Romney wins with 320+ EV."

Or some such crap that comes up on my facebook.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Pretty much how I feel. I'm supremely confident in Silver and Wang's models and the accuracy of the state polling aggregates, but at the same time, I'm nervous as hell. The 'what ifs' are eating away at me when my rational self knows that it shouldn't be a problem. All in all, I just want this over.

What makes me nervous is worrying about the voter suppression issues in Ohio, Florida, and Colorado. Because if those all go red due to shenanigans, and Romney overperforms in VA enough to flip it... there goes the election.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Programming Exam myself, not worried about it though.
this professor is really bad, he's already said the test is really hard, our TA had trouble finishing it in the allotted time, and it doesn't start til 5 pm. It's not going to go well. At least I have the election results and halo 4 to look forward to after

Krowley

Is there any chance that the Dick Morris assertion is accurate? Are these state polls really assuming 2008 levels of voter enthusiasm for President Obama in their turnout models? Because they're not going to get that, if it is really true. I know there was an article debunking his line of reasoning, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Also, what about the argument that if an incumbent is polling below 50% he is destined to lose? I've always thought that made a lot of sense. Undecideds tend to break against an incumbent.

gcubed

Is there any chance that the Dick Morris assertion is accurate? Are these state polls really assuming 2008 levels of voter enthusiasm for President Obama in their turnout models? Because they're not going to get that, if it is really true. I know there was an article debunking his line of reasoning, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Also, what about the argument that if an incumbent is polling below 50% he is destined to lose? I've always thought that made a lot of sense. Undecideds tend to break against an incumbent.

There is zero chance anything Dick Morris said is based in fact

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"See you don't understand, while the toplines of polling is severely skewed, but you have to dig into poll internals,where we say unskews voter opinions where we see Romney has double digit leads with independants and on his handling of the economy. For that reason, I predict Romney wins with 320+ EV."

Or some such crap that comes up on my facebook.

I misspoke anyways. I meant none of the individual polls, much less the polling aggregate.

Enthusiasm levels and party ID are not weighted by most reputable pollsters. The party ID and enthusiasm levels you see in the polls are what's being reported by the people being polled themselves weighed by less fluid demographics aspects such as race/gender/age, etc.

Undecideds do NOT tend to break against the incumbent, no.

Don't worry. Andrew Sullivan (blogger on the Daily Beast) didn't name his award for staggeringly wrong predictions the Dick Morris award for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom