• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

Relevant: (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/21/how-do-rape-exceptions-work/)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/21/how-do-rape-exceptions-work/ said:
Pennsylvania used to require a police report and two doctors’ certifications until it lost a court case forcing it to drop those requirements. I went through the policies of all 33 states (plus D.C.) that only cover abortions in the case of rape, incest or life of the mother, and found that 21 (Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin) only require a doctor’s note, while 11 (Delaware, Indiana, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana, Ohio, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming ) require a police report or social services agency report.

Idaho, Louisiana, Montana and Utah require either a police report or a doctor’s note saying the patient was medically incapable of filing a police report; Texas and Rhode Island only require a doctor’s note but instruct doctors to tell rape victims to file a report. North Dakota accepts either a doctor’s note or a police report. Kentucky and Nebraska‘s policies are less clear, with the former only providing forms to doctors in cases where the mother’s life is in danger. And those are only the formal statutes. Ibis also found that in many states, like Mississippi, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, that don’t require police reports, Medicaid officials frequently refuse to reimburse without them anyway. “Basically these exceptions don’t work,” Poggi concludes, adding, “It’s really a myth that there is coverage that is still provided.”
Has to do with Medicaid coverage rather than allowing abortion at all, but this is going to be pretty similar or perhaps slightly more restrictive.

Bowdz

LOL

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...78d69e-1d3a-11e2-9cd5-b55c38388962_story.html

Washington Post said:
In the battle for control of the U.S. Senate, there are now at least eight critical contests in which polling shows essentially a dead heat, encouraging Republicans’ hopes that they may yet snag the chamber, which very recently seemed beyond their reach.

Some of the GOP boost is coming from the top of the ticket in the form of Mitt Romney, whose recent surge in the polls seems to be helping Republican candidates across the country.

Democrats still have an edge in their effort to keep control of the Senate, and they may have been helped Tuesday when Republican candidate Richard Mourdock in Indiana suggested that pregnancies resulting from rape are God’s will, possibly damaging his chances to succeed Sen. Richard G. Lugar (R).

But both parties agree that many of the most important races have become more competitive in recent days, and their outcomes harder to predict.

Senate contests in the presidential battlegrounds of Wisconsin and Virginia, where Democrats had leads in polls a few weeks ago, are now essentially even and could be especially influenced if Romney performs well in those states. Polls show Democratic incumbents in Ohio and Florida still ahead, but those races have tightened as Romney has gained ground in the states. And the Senate races in Connecticut and Pennsylvania, long thought to be safe wins for Democrats, have become real contests.

And here I was getting hopeful that Dems might actually pick up seats in the Senate. Just more bad news for Obama.

Speaking of stupid bullshit, I just read this article... hopefully it wasn't posted in here already, but if it was, it needs to be read again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/24/greg-abbott-texas-un-elections_n_2010081.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

There is some more in the link, including the OSCE response...

Yeah, something doesn't seem right. Unreal.

What is not right is Greg Abbott. He thinks it's the 1800s and he's the sheriff.

Rachel Maddow brought up an excellent point concerning Romney's abortion platform, where it would be illegal except in cases of risk to life and rape: How would you regulate it? And would women start claiming rape when it wasn't to have access?

They damn well better.

strobogo

Banned
As a Hoosier, I'm loling hard at all this stuff with Richard Mourdock. I kind of get what he was trying to say, but the implications of what he actually said are hard to miss. His press conference was hilarious. He sounded like he was going to cry the entire time, was mad people were being mean and twisting his words, and making what he said political, even though he said it at a televised debate. And then Joe Donnelly gives a statement from the Julian Center, a abused/raped/homeless women's shelter. And now Romney withdraws his endorsement, McCain will if he doesn't apologize (which he didn't at his statement), and Obama brings him up on Leno. Lolz. I'm so fucking sick of "Obama Joe" ads. I have to image he cost himself what would have been an easy win.

As a Hoosier, I'm loling hard at all this stuff with Richard Mourdock. I kind of get what he was trying to say, but the implications of what he actually said are hard to miss. His press conference was hilarious. He sounded like he was going to cry the entire time, was mad people were being mean and twisting his words, and making what he said political, even though he said it at a televised debate. And then Joe Donnelly gives a statement from the Julian Center, a abused/raped/homeless women's shelter. And now Romney withdraws his endorsement, McCain will if he doesn't apologize (which he didn't at his statement), and Obama brings him up on Leno. Lolz. I'm so fucking sick of "Obama Joe" ads. I have to image he cost himself what would have been an easy win.

But Romney didn't withdraw his endorsement?

Loudninja

McCain: No Support For Mourdock Until He Apologizes
"I think it depends on what he does," McCain told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Wednesday night, when asked if he still backed Mourdock. "If he apologizes and says he misspoke and he was wrong and he asks people to forgive him then obviously I'd be the first -- you know as I said, I'm not sure how big of mistakes that I've made, I've made a few Anderson, and I've asked people's understanding and forgiveness when I own up to it. It's when you don't own up to it people will not believe in you."
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/richard-mourdock-john-mccain.php?ref=fpa

Bowdz

animation1dfg2zq7g.gif

Ecotic

I'm amazed that what Mourdock said came as such a shock. I was forced to attend a fire-and-brimstone Southern Baptist church growing up and what he said was easily what 90% of that congregation believes. Whatever happens happens because it was God's plan. I bet if a poll of the South was taken on just on that one comment, the poll would find a majority agrees with it, and maybe even substantial portions of the rural parts of the Midwest if it was surveyed too.

SmokeMaxX

I'm amazed that what Mourdock said came as such a shock. I was forced to attend a fire-and-brimstone Southern Baptist church growing up and what he said was easily what 90% of that congregation believes. Whatever happens happens because it was God's plan. I bet if a poll of the South was taken on just on that one comment, the poll would find a majority agrees with it, and maybe even substantial portions of the rural parts of the Midwest if it was surveyed too.

I'm sure a lot of people would agree with it or disagree with it depending on the wording of the question. People here are totally willing to agree that God controls everything and that everything is his will, although they're silent when a relative dies or someone gets into a car crash...

hym

Banned
Crisis averted! CNN located its standards, I wonder how long it will last.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/24/do-hormones-drive-womens-votes/

Post removed: Study looks at voting and hormones

A post previously published in this space regarding a study about how hormones may influence voting choices has been removed.

After further review it was determined that some elements of the story did not meet the editorial standards of CNN.

We thank you for your comments and feedback.

Odrion

Banned
This whole Mourdock thing upsets me, but I don't think it's a worthy "October surprise" and the public will probably see the left's attempt to link him with Romney as a little desperate.

I don't see how this will do anything to the race. Obama's lead among women has steadily declined over the last month from around 17 to 7-9 points. It seems like women are moving towards Romney based on economic issues, they already know his stance on social issues.

Nor do I believe Mourdock will suddenly lose his race. I guess the bright side is that his democrat opponent is pro-life and co-sponsored Akin's forcible rape bill, meaning he's almost as extreme as Mourdock. Maybe voters could decide to settle for him...or maybe voters in Indiana agree with the comment. Romney will sweep the state regardless.

This whole Mourdock thing upsets me, but I don't think it's a worthy "October surprise" and the public will probably see the left's attempt to link him with Romney as a little desperate.

Really no October surprise will ever live up to 2006 and Mark Foley aka "Cocktober Surprise"

I'm sure a lot of people would agree with it or disagree with it depending on the wording of the question. People here are totally willing to agree that God controls everything and that everything is his will, although they're silent when a relative dies or someone gets into a car crash...

Predestination is a big thing in some churches. They think everything is already known to happen. It directly contradicts freewill though

and Indiana is such a conservative state, that I don't think this statement will matter very much at all to the electorate. Anyone offended by this wouldn't be likely to vote for Mourdock anyway. Also, what he said was not quite as bad as what Todd Akin said.. first of all, implying women lie about being raped and second, demonstrating his ridiculous misunderstanding of basic biology.

Mourdock will win this seat.

Odrion

Banned
Nor do I believe Mourdock will suddenly lose his race. I guess the bright side is that his democrat opponent is pro-life and co-sponsored Akin's forcible rape bill, meaning he's almost as extreme as Mourdock. Maybe voters could decide to settle for him...or maybe voters in Indiana agree with the comment. Romney will sweep the state regardless.
Yeah, that too about his Democratic opponent having the same beliefs. What does this do? A lot of pro-lifers have this mindset. And Mourdock didn't come off as a menacing individual, he came off as sincere about his stance on life. Trying to make this a big thing just looks, once again, as desperate and a bit mean to a lot of voters.

Yeah, that too about his Democratic opponent having the same beliefs. What does this do? A lot of pro-lifers have this mindset. And Mourdock didn't come off as a menacing individual, he came off as sincere about his stance on life. Trying to make this a big thing just looks, once again, as desperate and a bit mean to a lot of voter.

I honestly respect Mourdock's comment more than Akin's. At least Mourdock seemed like he was expressing a difficult personal view, and I do not believe he meant God intends for women to be raped. Whereas Akin has been blatantly misogynist and aggressively ignorant on women's issues

and Indiana is such a conservative state, that I don't think this statement will matter very much at all to the electorate. Anyone offended by this wouldn't be likely to vote for Mourdock anyway. Also, what he said was not quite as bad as what Todd Akin said.. first of all, implying women lie about being raped and second, demonstrating his ridiculous misunderstanding of basic biology.

Mourdock will win this seat.

Even if he does win its gonna hurt Romney in other states since he cut that ad not a day before.

pigeon

Banned
Yeah, that too about his Democratic opponent having the same beliefs. What does this do? A lot of pro-lifers have this mindset. And Mourdock didn't come off as a menacing individual, he came off as sincere about his stance on life. Trying to make this a big thing just looks, once again, as desperate and a bit mean to a lot of voter.

I have to say, just as a side note, it's amazing to me how sure people are that they are personally representative of a sizable electorate, or at least a leading anthropological expert on one.

I think "No abortions, even in cases of rape" is just a difficult view to express in general. That's why politicians bend over backwards to justify it because they know it's a tough sale.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think "No abortions, even in cases of rape" is just a difficult view to express in general. That's why politicians bend over backwards to justify it because they know it's a tough sale.

It is the one thing I admire /fear libertarians: they deal with absolutes and don't take into account mitigating circumstances. I am very hard on abortion, but death of mother should definitely be in there.

Forever

Banned
FEAR.

Ohio's Nightmare Scenario

A new Ohio program intended to make voting easier could keep the presidential election in doubt until late November if the national outcome hinges on the state’s 18 electoral votes.

Under Secretary of State Jon Husted’s initiative to send absentee ballot applications to nearly 7 million registered voters across Ohio, more than 800,000 people so far have asked for but not yet completed an absentee ballot for the Nov. 6 election.

Anyone who does not return an absentee ballot, deciding instead to vote at the polls, will be required to cast a provisional ballot.

That’s so officials may verify that they did not vote absentee and also show up at the polls.

By state law, provisional ballots may not be counted until at least Nov. 17.

That means if Ohio’s electoral votes would be decisive in the race between President Barack Obama and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, the state could keep the nation in suspense for several weeks after the election.

“That would be called my nightmare scenario,” said Amy Searcy, director of the Hamilton County Board of Elections.

But it is also, election experts warn, a distinctly possible scenario if the vote in Ohio – and nationwide – is close.

“We could easily see a situation in which the nation has to wait for Ohio because of provisionals,” said Ed Foley, an Ohio State University law professor and nationally respected expert on election law. “We ought to start thinking about those what-if scenarios now rather than the Wednesday morning after the election.”

Through Friday, about 1.43 million Ohioans had requested an absentee ballot, but only 618,861 had returned their vote, according to Husted’s office.

Both numbers will grow by Nov. 3, the deadline for most Ohioans to request an absentee ballot.

Another nearly 190,000 people had cast absentee ballots in person at their county boards of elections or designated early voting centers in Ohio’s 88 counties.

Many of the 800,000-plus voters who have not yet returned their completed absentee ballot likely plan to wait until closer to Election Day to do so.

I really hope that Obama swings Virginia and Colorado as insurance.

Odrion

Banned
It is the one thing I admire /fear libertarians: they deal with absolutes and don't take into account mitigating circumstances. I am very hard on abortion, but death of mother should definitely be in there.
Yeah at least the "no abortion even from rape or incest" is actually logically consistent with the belief that "abortion is murder."

Diablos

Diablos

Ughhhh. What kind of shady shit is going to go down behind the scenes?
Have you paid attention to what's happening front and center? I don't even think we can fully imagine what the closed door convos must sound like. No doubt the state GOP is riding this wave as long as they can, if it turns out OH is the deciding state I can totally see this scenario being quite likely

Bowdz

flipping virginia or colorado or florida is really important at this state, assuming nh and iowa are already on lockdown.

I definitely think the NV, CO, IA, and NH pickup is the best scenario for Obama as insurance. NH and CO are the closest at the moment, but look like they will break for Obama. Personally, I will be surprised if Obama wins Florida.

Chief executives of more than 80 big-name U.S. corporations, from Aetna Inc. AET +0.66% to Weyerhaeuser Co., WY -1.11% are banding together to pressure Congress to reduce the federal deficit with tax-revenue increases as well as spending cuts.

The CEOs, in a statement to be released on Thursday, say any fiscal plan "that can succeed both financially and politically" has to limit the growth of health-care spending, make Social Security solvent and "include comprehensive and pro-growth tax reform, which broadens the base, lowers rates, raises revenues and reduces the deficit."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203937004578076253372633058.html

It's comical how badly the GOP brass has grabbed onto the tax cuts for the top 1%.

Mitt Romney would have a much easier time of winning this election if he proposed a tax hike on the top 1% and reducing middle class taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom